|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What event did Kovic perform on the track team?
2. What type of award was it?
3. How old is Kovic at this point?
4. Kovic discusses his childhood opinion on which topic?
5. Who is Dick?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kovic refer to the other soldiers in the hospital?
2. What is one of the main things that cause the deep depression in Kovic?
3. Explain the scene in which the general visits the soldiers in hospital.
4. According to Kovic what is one possible reason that he was injured?
5. Describe Kovic's first morning in the hospital.
6. Who interrupts Kovic's dream? Why?
7. What is the first experience Kovic has when he awakens in the hospital?
8. What is the first thing Kovic notices missing when he wakes up on the battlefield?
9. What are Kovic's physical therapy instructions?
10. When is Kovic's birthday and what is its significance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Study the concept of flashbacks. What causes them? Are they based in reality or are they a sign of psychosis? What types of things might one see in a flashback? How are flashbacks used in the story? Does the use of flashback help you to understand more about the story and Kovic's character? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the level of participation in Vietnam by each branch of the military. Which was most involved? Why? What might have changed the face of the war? In your opinion, should the US have been involved in Vietnam? Explain. Who made the better argument for the American presence in Vietnam - the Nixon administration or the protesters and anti-war movement?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and how it affects veterans of all ages as well as soldiers still in service. What causes it? What are the symptoms? What are the treatments? Is there a cure? What can be done about it?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)