|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was given to the soldier before surgery?
2. Who visits the soldier before surgery?
3. What was the first name of the friend that often went to the stadium with Kovic?
4. How does the character feel at this point?
5. Where did Mr. Kovic work?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was a favorite childhood sport of Kovic's?
2. Discuss Kovic's views on Communism and the space race.
3. What is the atmosphere like on the bus in Queens?
4. Discuss Kovic's religious childhood rituals.
5. Describe Kovic's first morning in the hospital.
6. What is the first experience Kovic has when he awakens in the hospital?
7. What was going on around Kovic during the time?
8. What are Kovic's physical therapy instructions?
9. What is the purpose of calling a priest to visit to Kovic?
10. What is the opinion of Kovic by the Legionnaires and the government?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Research and write a 1000 word essay on the massacre at Kent State. Include location, purpose, cause and effect. Write a short bio on the people that were killed as well as those that appeared on the famous Time Magazine cover.
Essay Topic 2
What is The Medal for Conspicuous Service to the State of New York? Why was it awarded to Kovic? Who awarded the medal? Is there any special significance to the award? If so, what? Explain how Kovic felt about the medal and what he did with it after it was awarded. Would it be a symbol of pride or a reminder of the death and destruction?
Essay Topic 3
Study the concept of flashbacks. What causes them? Are they based in reality or are they a sign of psychosis? What types of things might one see in a flashback? How are flashbacks used in the story? Does the use of flashback help you to understand more about the story and Kovic's character? Explain.
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)