|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who issues the award?
2. Kovic discusses his childhood opinion on which topic?
3. The next thing the character notices is that what item is missing?
4. What was the boy's last name?
5. What was the name of the kid Kovic often spent time in the summers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the scene in which the general visits the soldiers in hospital.
2. What are Kovic's physical therapy instructions?
3. What was a favorite childhood sport of Kovic's?
4. Where did the boys often play? What was their fantasy?
5. What is the opinion of Kovic by the Legionnaires and the government?
6. What is the first experience Kovic has when he awakens in the hospital?
7. Explain the opening scene in the book BORN ON THE FOURTH OF JULY by Ron Kovic.
8. What is one of the main things that cause the deep depression in Kovic?
9. What is the purpose of calling a priest to visit to Kovic?
10. How does Kovic refer to the other soldiers in the hospital?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Interview someone who served in Vietnam and write a 1000 word essay on the experience and how it affected the soldier's life. Be sure to include any traumatic events, real or imagined as well as post traumatic stress, involvement with the VA, and life before and after the war.
Essay Topic 2
Do you think about the general was really indifferent to the situation or was attempting to be professional and appropriately sympathetic? Discuss how you might feel in the same situation. Examine it from both sides. Also examine military protocol regarding the visiting of soldiers and the meting out of commendations and awards during peace time and during war time. What changes?
Essay Topic 3
What is a Purple Heart? Why is it given to soldiers? Name some scenarios in which a purple heart would be awarded to a soldier. Have you ever seen a purple heart? If so, who did it belong to? Compare and contrast the purple heart to similar medals and commendations given out by other countries. How have the traditions changed over the years?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)