|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What activity was routine for Kovic on Saturday nights?
2. What time does Kovic wake up in the morning?
3. What type of award was it?
4. What was the name of the girl Kovic liked?
5. What unwanted person or thing occupies the ward?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the scene in which the general visits the soldiers in hospital.
2. What causes Kovic to lie about his belief in the war?
3. Who interrupts Kovic's dream? Why?
4. What is one of the main things that cause the deep depression in Kovic?
5. What did Ron Kovic's father do for a living?
6. Discuss Kovic's views on Communism and the space race.
7. When is Kovic's birthday and what is its significance?
8. Discuss some of Kovic's trials and tribulations as a teenager.
9. Explain the opening scene in the book BORN ON THE FOURTH OF JULY by Ron Kovic.
10. Where did the boys often play? What was their fantasy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the impact of Kovic's birthday being on the Fourth of July. Do you think it is irony or destiny? How might being born on the Fourth of July affect your views on patriotism and war? Do you think a person born on the Fourth of July during wartime might differ from a person born on the same day during wartime? How would that birthday translate to other countries?
Essay Topic 2
Research and write a 1000 word essay on the massacre at Kent State. Include location, purpose, cause and effect. Write a short bio on the people that were killed as well as those that appeared on the famous Time Magazine cover.
Essay Topic 3
Interview someone who served in Vietnam and write a 1000 word essay on the experience and how it affected the soldier's life. Be sure to include any traumatic events, real or imagined as well as post traumatic stress, involvement with the VA, and life before and after the war.
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)