• Ron Kovic is introduced.
• Kovic is shot and paralyzed.
• Kovic is taken to a military hospital.
• The general awards Purple Hearts to the wounded soldiers.
• Kovic is sent home.
• Kovic is taken to St. Albans Naval Hospital.
• Kovic is placed in the neuro ward.
• Kovic receives a medal for Conspicuous Service to the State of New York.
• Reader is introduced to other people in the ward.
• The author describes the horrors of being wounded and being forced into unsanitary conditions.
• Physical therapy begins.
• Kovic revisits his birthday.
• Reader learns about Kovic's love for baseball.
• Kovic's father is introduced and his profession discussed.
• The Kovics are religious people.
• Kovic participates in many games.
• Kovic joins sports teams in school.
• Reader is introduced to military personnel.
• Story returns to the present.
• Kovic attends a Memorial Day parade.
• Other local dead or wounded soldiers are discussed.
This section contains 343 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)