|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Leon's speaking ___________ makes Leila nervous as he paces back and forth.
2. Leila talks about specializing in ________________ for her job, which she is already good at doing.
3. What is the celebration which is taking place all too soon after the death of Ona?
4. What had Ona done when Leila had to translate a conversation between a Woolworth's manager and Leon?
5. What is the name of the person who Leila seems to remember is a backstabbing liar so she does not talk to her immediately?
Short Essay Questions
1. To what does Leila compare the feeling of time rushing forward and then snapping still?
2. What do the sewing ladies do for Mah and the rest of the family after the death of Ona?
3. What are the Confucian virtues, according to the start of this chapter?
4. Ona decides to jump from the 13th floor of the building, which confuses Leila. What is the meaning of the number 13?
5. What does a teacher's aide tell Leila about Leon after he walks out on Mah during a discussion about Ona's ashes?
6. Why does Leon want to have a fancy Chinese wake for Ona after her suicide, though Nina suggests a simple cremation?
7. After Mah finds a new job at Ching's, Leon goes away to a trip on the sea to Australia. What happens to Mah's job when he is away?
8. Why don't the sewing women play music when they are working in the sweatshop together?
9. Who does Leon blame for the death of Ona and for his overall discontent with life in this chapter?
10. What does ten-year-old Ona do in order to get Leon to come back home after hearing about the affair?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The idea of the bones being the reason for the bad luck in the novel is one that seems silly to some readers. But is it?
Part 1: Do you believe in the idea of luck and of bad luck? Why or why not?
Part 2: Why do you think the bones are so important to the luck of the family?
Part 3: Why do you think that the bones were not handled in the way they were supposed to be handled?
Essay Topic 2
The battle of immigrants and those who wish to insult their race can be another constant strain on everyday life.
Part 1: Why do you think that racism still exists in the world today?
Part 2: How would you handle someone talking ill of another person of a difference race or background?
Part 3: Is racism ever legitimate? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Love has a number of different definitions and examples during the course of this story.
Part 1: Do you think Leon and Mah love each other? Why or why not?
Part 2: Why do you think that Nina is looking for love within her tour group job?
Part 3: Do you think that Leila is truly in love with Mason? Why or why not?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)