|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Leon taken apart in order to fix it and to give it back to Mah as a present?
2. Where does Leila find Leon in order to tell him to meet Mason at 4:00 pm?
3. Always watching for business opportunities, Leon talks ___________ into running L.L. Grocery.
4. What does Mason find to be too Chinesey, according to the recollection of Leila in this chapter?
5. What is Mason going to do on Thursday in order to help Leon be ready for the funeral?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the sewing ladies do for Mah and the rest of the family after the death of Ona?
2. When Mason and Leila come to fetch Leon, what do they find he has done in his apartment?
3. Why did Leila have to translate between Leon and a Woolworth's manager when Ona was eight or nine?
4. Why do the women at the factory work night and day, pushing themselves to sew?
5. What has Leila prepared for the afternoon art class in the classroom where she is teaching?
6. Who does Leon blame for the death of Ona and for his overall discontent with life in this chapter?
7. What does Mah do when Nina decides to bring the urn with Ona's ashes to Baby Clothes?
8. What does Mah want to do in order to prepare herself for the homecoming of Leon?
9. What is the argument between Leon and Mah regarding the ashes of Ona after her death?
10. Why don't the sewing women play music when they are working in the sweatshop together?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The battle of immigrants and those who wish to insult their race can be another constant strain on everyday life.
Part 1: Why do you think that racism still exists in the world today?
Part 2: How would you handle someone talking ill of another person of a difference race or background?
Part 3: Is racism ever legitimate? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The idea of the bones being the reason for the bad luck in the novel is one that seems silly to some readers. But is it?
Part 1: Do you believe in the idea of luck and of bad luck? Why or why not?
Part 2: Why do you think the bones are so important to the luck of the family?
Part 3: Why do you think that the bones were not handled in the way they were supposed to be handled?
Essay Topic 3
The suicide in this novel seems to be the one event which pulls everyone together, while at the same time driving them all apart.
Part 1: Why do you think the suicide affects Leon in the way it does?
Part 2: How do you think Leila has been changed by the suicide of Ona?
Part 3: Why do you think Ona decided to kill herself?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)