|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The cop at the scene of the suicide writes down the address for _____________ for Leila.
2. Mah admits her ___________ and says that she wants to be a family again with Leon.
3. Ten-year-old ___________ does the most in order to get Leon to come back home to be a family.
4. Leila has arranged for _____________ as the body is too broken and funerals too expensive.
5. What does Leila decide to do when Mason goes off to work after they party?
Short Essay Questions
1. Things have changed after the affair. What are Leon and Mah like after the affair with Tommie Hom?
2. Why does Mah believe that Lyman will make good on his promise and send for her?
3. What have the women done by the time the S.S. Independent docks at the shore?
4. What is the only thing Nina asks Leila to do in order to handle Mah's trip to Hong Kong?
5. Why does Leon want to have a fancy Chinese wake for Ona after her suicide, though Nina suggests a simple cremation?
6. Why did Leila have to translate between Leon and a Woolworth's manager when Ona was eight or nine?
7. Why do the women at the factory work night and day, pushing themselves to sew?
8. What is the argument between Leon and Mah regarding the ashes of Ona after her death?
9. What are the Confucian virtues, according to the start of this chapter?
10. When Mason and Leila come to fetch Leon, what do they find he has done in his apartment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The strained relationship between Leon and Mah was not always that way. It seems to have slowly disintegrated along with the family structure and the family luck in this story.
Part 1: Why do you think that Leon and Mah got married in the first place?
Part 2: How do you think Leon and Mah have to change in order to be happy again?
Part 3: Do you think that Leon and Mah have any chance of being happy with each other again? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The suicide in this novel seems to be the one event which pulls everyone together, while at the same time driving them all apart.
Part 1: Why do you think the suicide affects Leon in the way it does?
Part 2: How do you think Leila has been changed by the suicide of Ona?
Part 3: Why do you think Ona decided to kill herself?
Essay Topic 3
Fitting into the crowd is something that the characters in this story struggle with - some want to fit in and others do not.
Part 1: Why is it so important to fit into the crowd in life?
Part 2: Why do you think it's better to fit into a crowd than to go against it?
Part 3: How do you think the characters in this story could fit into the American society more easily? What might they do in order to fit in?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)