|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ona makes ___________ real in their lives and talking helps them deal with this.
(a) Bad luck
2. Who wants to have a fancy Chinese wake in order to commemorate the life of Ona in the neighborhood?
3. Who suggests a simple gathering after the cremation of Ona in order to mourn her death?
4. Ten-year-old ___________ does the most in order to get Leon to come back home to be a family.
5. Leon wonders whether Ona was _________ or whether she was given drugs to cause her to jump.
(a) Not the girl who fell
(d) Still alive
6. What is a fourth grader doing during the day of Ona's death which reminds Lelia of Ona?
(a) Jumping rope
7. Mah makes no secret of the fact that she married Leon for _________________.
(a) A green card
8. Leila is removing _____________ when Leon arrives home from his trip on the seas.
(a) Her apron
(b) Stains from her dress
(c) Dirty dishes
(d) Crooked stitches
9. Where does Leila find Leon in order to tell him to meet Mason at 4:00 pm?
(a) In his car
(b) On a boat
10. Leila knows that Mah wants a __________ and has suitors, including her boss of the moment.
(b) Stable life
11. Born and raised in Chinatown, ___________ is sometimes proud of this heritage and sometimes not.
12. What does the Chinese word of the number of the building floor from which Ona jumped sound like?
(a) To die
(b) To be free
(c) To live
(d) To smile
13. Always watching for business opportunities, Leon talks ___________ into running L.L. Grocery.
14. Leila talks about specializing in ________________ for her job, which she is already good at doing.
(a) Food delivery
(c) Home visitations
15. Leon could leave Mah at any time, but he tries to find a ____________, like his buddies.
(a) Steady sea assignment
(b) New business
(c) Lucky break
(d) Land job
Short Answer Questions
1. Leon has told Leila how he is ___________ away his life and losing his dream.
2. What does Mason assign Nina to do in order to prevent a fight between the two sisters from getting too heated?
3. Leon wants to talk about _________ and about how much he loves her after the suicide.
4. What is the celebration which is taking place all too soon after the death of Ona?
5. What has Leila sketched for the students to fill in during their afternoon class?
This section contains 428 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)