|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Leon's speaking ___________ makes Leila nervous as he paces back and forth.
(a) And drunkenness
(b) In garbled tones
(d) And crying
2. Leila waits to talk to Mah until Leon's return with stories of her ______________, hoping this will unlock her from Mah.
3. Mah has no time for lunch and shows Leila how to install _____________ in the design.
4. The women at the factory are working hard as the ___________ is easy for them to make and it pays well.
5. What does Mason call Mah when she comes home from her hair appointment?
(a) Beautiful Doll
(b) Miss Chinatown
(c) Miss Beauty Queen
(d) Miss America
6. When the recess bell rings and Leila can have a few moments to herself, where does she go?
(d) Teacher's lounge
7. Where does Leila go in order to watch kites, sailboats, and Alcatraz?
(a) Pacific Grove
8. Since Nina is home, Leila is living ________________ though she plans to stay at Salmon Alley.
(a) At a shelter
(b) With Mason
(c) By herself
(d) In her car
9. Leila talks about specializing in ________________ for her job, which she is already good at doing.
(b) Home visitations
(d) Food delivery
10. What is a fourth grader doing during the day of Ona's death which reminds Lelia of Ona?
(b) Jumping rope
11. When the S.S. Independent docks, ____________ has cleaned the house, helped sew a dozen culottes, and heated lunch.
12. What floor did Ona jump from when she committed suicide, according to the story?
13. Nina complains that ____________ is not doing her share of the work at the laundry business.
14. What does Mah say she feels when Leila and Leon sit at the foot of Mah's bed?
15. Leon admits that he misses Mah's __________ and that he does not like his life without her in it.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Leon plan to look up when he is in Australia during his trip on the seas?
2. What has Leila sketched for the students to fill in during their afternoon class?
3. What had Ona done when Leila had to translate a conversation between a Woolworth's manager and Leon?
4. Leila cannot keep up with Mah as Mah knows ____________ as a doctor knows bones.
5. The sewing women do not __________ while they are making the new design as they are competing with one another.
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)