|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the sewing ladies listen to during their breaks at the sweatshop?
(a) Chinese operas
(b) Pop music
(c) News radio
(d) Classical music
2. What does Mah say she feels when Leila and Leon sit at the foot of Mah's bed?
3. What does Mason find to be too Chinesey, according to the recollection of Leila in this chapter?
(c) The food
(d) Mah's store
4. Who does Leon plan to look up when he is in Australia during his trip on the seas?
(a) Jenny Chu
(b) Lyman Fu
(c) Johnny Bruce
(d) His ex-wife
5. Since Nina is home, Leila is living ________________ though she plans to stay at Salmon Alley.
(a) With Mason
(b) At a shelter
(c) In her car
(d) By herself
6. What brings Leon home tanned, relaxed, and bearing gifts for the family?
(a) Yellow taxi
7. What does Mah do after Leila tells her the news about the suicide of Ona?
8. What kind of class is Leila preparing for when she is told of Ona's death?
9. Leon demands that ____________ and Ona break up, though she continues to see him behind his back.
10. Leila is in bed with Mason when Mah delivers a list of _________ for her to do.
(a) Phone calls
11. Always watching for business opportunities, Leon talks ___________ into running L.L. Grocery.
12. ______________ doubts that Mah will want to go back to Hong Kong after being away for 25 years.
13. What is the name of the television show that Leon and Mah and the girls used to watch sometimes during dinner?
(a) Leave It to Beaver
(b) I Love Lucy
(d) They didn't watch TV
14. Leon admits that he misses Mah's __________ and that he does not like his life without her in it.
15. What has Leon taken apart in order to fix it and to give it back to Mah as a present?
(c) Singer sewing machine
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a fourth grader doing during the day of Ona's death which reminds Lelia of Ona?
2. Where did Mah and Leon get married, with Leila as the witness to the ceremony?
3. When Nina takes the urn to ____________, Mah gets upset and hides it from sight.
4. What does Leila decide to do when Mason goes off to work after they party?
5. What had Ona done when Leila had to translate a conversation between a Woolworth's manager and Leon?
This section contains 453 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)