|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Harry ask Murphy about the bomb?
2. What shocks Harry about Justine?
3. What does Thomas ask?
4. Whom does Murphy shoot?
5. What does Harry worry about concerning the curse?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does a specialist tell Harry about Harry's hand and what is Harry's response?
2. What does Harry offer Lara for her help and what is her response?
3. How does Emma get killed and what does Harry do right after she is killed?
4. What does Trixie do with the gun she is carrying?
5. What is Harry still dealing with? Why is he able to laugh?
6. What does Murphy say about Lara and what is Harry's response?
7. What do Harry and Murphy figure out about the curse and Genosa?
8. What clues Harry in to the fact that Murphy is not against him?
9. What does Murphy's mother tell Harry and what does she ask him?
10. How is Trixie killed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think Blood Rites is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
Essay Topic 2
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Harry and Thomas. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Murphy and Lara. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in Blood Rites help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
Essay Topic 3
Many novels, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of Blood Rites and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why Blood Rites is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,149 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)