|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Harry's conclusion about the group Murphy has her gun trained on?
2. What does Harry tell Thomas?
3. Who helps the person fight?
4. Why is Murphy chosen to get through to the hostages?
5. Why is Harry outraged?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ebenezar tell Harry about his role in Harry's life?
2. What does Murphy's mother tell Harry and what does she ask him?
3. What do Harry and Murphy figure out about the curse and Genosa?
4. What happens when Harry calls Raith House?
5. Where are the children at the shelter, how are they being held and who can rescue them?
6. What does Trixie do with the gun she is carrying?
7. What happens when Harry and Murphy encounters the first group at the shelter?
8. What clues Harry in to the fact that Murphy is not against him?
9. Where and with whom, does Harry go and what does he do when they first arrive there?
10. What did Harry's mother do to Raith and what is Raith's response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Oftentimes, a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and oftentimes the other way. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not.
5. What type of plot do you think Blood Rites is? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 2
Blood Rites belongs to the fantasy genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the fantasy genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a fantasy and a historical novel?
Essay Topic 3
Characters are an important part of what makes Blood Rites interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Harry. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Murphy. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Thomas. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
This section contains 1,195 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)