|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What department had Murphy's father been working when the father died?
2. Where do Harry and the others prepare to go?
3. How is Trixie feeling?
4. Who is Genosa's first wife?
5. What does Raith do when he arrives?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Harry still dealing with? Why is he able to laugh?
2. How does Harry kill off all the vampires and their servants?
3. What did Harry's mother do to Raith and what is Raith's response?
4. What does Murphy say about Lara and what is Harry's response?
5. What happens when Harry and Murphy encounters the first group at the shelter?
6. What does Murphy's mother tell Harry and what does she ask him?
7. Who shows up when Harry and Bob are talking and why?
8. What does Harry offer Raith and how does Raith counter?
9. Which of Genosa's wives are introduced and what does Thomas ask about the wife that is not introduced?
10. Describe the Deeps.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Whenever reading a science fiction or fantasy novel, one must become familiar with new terminology that explains concepts or technology that is not a part of the "real" world. In the case of Blood Rites, there is a great deal of new magical terms and familiar words with new meanings. Discuss the following:
1. Find five terms that are a part of the world of Blood Rites that are a part of the language but mean something different. Define the words as used in Blood Rites and compare those five words as to how they are currently used in the American English language.
2. How does the language of Blood Rites from that of real world Chicago? Are there words you did not know in Blood Rites? What? How do you learn their meanings? What does it mean to grasp a the meaning of a word through its context? Can you do that in Blood Rites? Give an example of several words whose definition are made clear through the context of how the word is used.
3. There are ways of learning about a new world or time when reading a science fiction or fantasy novel. Discuss the ways you were able to understand the world of Blood Rites through its vocabulary. Did you have to look up any words?
4. Were there any words you never really understood from Blood Rites? Which ones? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think Blood Rites is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in Blood Rites. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of courage in Blood Rites. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of change in Blood Rites. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with change? Why? What are some symbols of change? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid? Which situations seem most changed?
This section contains 1,172 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)