|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many sisters does Dimitri have?
2. In chapter 12, why does Mark tell Rose that the ghosts fought for her against the Strigoi?
3. In chapter 14, who is Rolan?
4. In chapter 17, why does Rose not stake Dimitri when given the chance?
5. In chapter 5, what does Rose see Adrian attempting to teach Lissa back at St. Vlad's?
Short Essay Questions
1. In chapter 14, who offers to break up Rolan and Viktoria on the condition that Rose leave Baia?
2. In chapter 9, how do the people in Dimitri's village treat Rose during the memorial service? Why does this surprise Rose?
3. In chapter 17, how does Rose find herself on the streets of Novosibirsk alone? Who confronts Rose?
4. In chapter 12, what alternative does Viktoria suggest to Rose to her mission to find Dimitri or returning to St. Vlad's?
5. In the prologue, how does Rose tell the reader Dimitri became a Strigoi?
6. In chapter 8, Sydney warns Rose about Abe Mazur and later Rose meets Abe. What does Sydney tell Rose about Abe? What is Rose's immediate opinion of Abe?
7. In chapter 6, what does Rose use in order to defeat Strigoi in an old barn?
8. In chapter 5, what does Lissa overhear between Avery and her father? What is the significance of this for Lissa?
9. In chapter 14, how does Rose come to the conclusion that Viktoria's Moroi boyfriend is not all he appears to be?
10. In chapter 12, with whom does Rose argue? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are renegade Strigoi killers? Where does Rose meet this group? What does the dhampir community think of these teenagers? What does Rose think of them? Who warns Rose to stay away from these Strigoi killers and not to allow herself to become one? Why does Rose decide to join this group of Strigoi killers? What does Rose use this group to help her do? What makes Rose decide to leave Baia and continue on her mission to free Dimitri from his Strigoi existence? How does Rose finally get word to Dimitri that she is looking for him? What is the result?
Essay Topic 2
What has Rose always been told about dhampir women who choose to raise children instead of becoming guardians? What did Rose expect to find in Baia, based on the stories she has been told about dhampir women who gave up being guardians to raise children? How does the reality of Baia compare to Rose's expectations? What does Rose think of women like Dimitri's mother and sister who choose to raise families instead of working as guardians? What does Rose think of dhampirs who offer blood during sex with Moroi? For what reason does Rose feel this way?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following themes in an essay, using quotes from the novel to support your conclusions:
This section contains 1,199 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)