|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gives a person understanding?
2. Who does Cico and Antonio believe is ready to learn about the golden carp?
3. What did Father Byrnes do to Bones?
4. Who drives to Guadalupe to warn Ultima that Tenorio was coming to get her?
5. What does Antonio wonder after Andrew leaves with his brothers for Santa Fe in Chapter 15?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rudolfo Anaya centers Bless Me, Ultima around the central theme of tension. One example is the mneumonic tension between Antonio's parents, the sea versus the earth. What are other examples of tension throughout the novel? Examine the symbols of tension between good and evil.
Essay Topic 2
Bless Me Ultima has been compared to James Joyce's Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man. How does Catholicism influence Bless Me, Ultima? Does one have to be Catholic to understand Bless Me, Ultima? Why or why not? What other religion could be substituted in place of Catholic icons, images and people?
Essay Topic 3
Antonio learns not only his Hispanic Catholic heritage but also his Native American heritage through Ultima. What Catholic icons, sacraments and beliefs are explored in the novel? What Native American traditions or symbols are discussed in Bless Me, Ultima? What are the similarities between the two?
This section contains 270 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)