|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the coroner's ruling of Narcisco's death?
2. What does the priest do when Tenorio arrives with his daughter's funeral procession?
3. What does Antonio see in his nightmares in Chapter 16?
4. Who does Cico and Antonio believe is ready to learn about the golden carp?
5. What happens to Horse during the Stations of the Cross?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bless Me, Ultima is set in the Southwest United States, more specifically New Mexico. The region was originally inhabited by ancient Nuevos Mexicanos, who populated the region between Central America and the Rio Grande river valley in the United States. How does this setting enrich the story? What would happen if the novel were situated elsewhere? If you could rewrite the novel, what location would the story take place? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Unlike most peers his age, Antonio has experienced death at a young age. What end-of-life experiences does Antonio witness? Do these death experiences make him stronger in character or harm him? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
As the reader watches Antonio mature, he undergoes several initiation rites. Explain what some of these initiation rites are in the novel. What is the most crucial test he must pass? Why is this test important?
This section contains 255 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)