|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Antonio make his First Communion?
2. What does Narcisco warn the Marez family?
3. What question does Antonio have about God?
4. What does the priest do when Tenorio arrives with his daughter's funeral procession?
5. Who says, "the blood of a man thickens with the desire for revenge."?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many symbols in Bless Me ,Ultima. Name some of these symbols and what each represents. What would happen if the novel did not contain these symbols? Do some of these symbols have more than one meaning? If so, what are they?
Essay Topic 2
Antonio learns not only his Hispanic Catholic heritage but also his Native American heritage through Ultima. What Catholic icons, sacraments and beliefs are explored in the novel? What Native American traditions or symbols are discussed in Bless Me, Ultima? What are the similarities between the two?
Essay Topic 3
Bless Me, Ultima is a fusion between two worlds: folklore tradition and historical fiction. Cite examples of both folklore tradition and historical fiction. How do dreams and visions play a role in the novel? Do you believe the novel is fantasy or realism? Explain why.
This section contains 1,223 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)