|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says, "the blood of a man thickens with the desire for revenge."?
2. What is Tenorio planning to do to Ultima?
3. Why is Tenorio seeking revenge from Ultima in Chapter 14?
4. What does Ultima believe would do Antonio much good after seeing much death?
5. What do the Luna brothers ask Antonio's parents before they leave El Puerto?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bless Me, Ultima is a fusion between two worlds: folklore tradition and historical fiction. Cite examples of both folklore tradition and historical fiction. How do dreams and visions play a role in the novel? Do you believe the novel is fantasy or realism? Explain why.
Essay Topic 2
Similar to Mark Twain's Huckleberry Finn, Bless Me, Ultima details childhood spoken in a child's narrative. What conflicts, insights or questions does Antonio contemplate which are similar for any six or seven year old? Do you believe Bless Me. Ultima could be an adult novel? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Bless Me, Ultima is set during World War II. Antonio's brothers are off fighting against the Germans and Japanese forces. How does this time period influence the story? If you could rewrite the novel, what time period would you place the story? Explain your reason.
This section contains 289 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)