|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the holiest robes?
2. What does Antonio do when Florence's body was pulled to the shore?
3. Why do old people refuse to let their children speak English?
4. Why does Tenorio believe Ultima had cursed his dead daughter?
5. What happens to Horse during the Stations of the Cross?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bless Me, Ultima is set during World War II. Antonio's brothers are off fighting against the Germans and Japanese forces. How does this time period influence the story? If you could rewrite the novel, what time period would you place the story? Explain your reason.
Essay Topic 2
Bless Me, Ultima is a fusion between two worlds: folklore tradition and historical fiction. Cite examples of both folklore tradition and historical fiction. How do dreams and visions play a role in the novel? Do you believe the novel is fantasy or realism? Explain why.
Essay Topic 3
Bless Me, Ultima displays elements of magic. What are some examples of magic in the novel? How could any of these examples be explained scientifically? Do you believe Antonio is hurt from or benefits from these magical experiences? Explain your answer.
This section contains 297 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)