|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comforts Antonio when he awakes from his dream of his mother crying for the return of her sons.
2. What is the relationship between the owl and la Virgen de Guadalupe?
3. What does Cico tell Tony never to do in Chapter 11?
4. What happens to Antonio the first day of school?
5. Why does Antonio's mother dream of Antonio becoming a priest?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role does Ultima's owl play?
2. Describe the scenery as Antonio and his family drive to El Puerto.
3. What is the importance of the scapular?
4. What are some of the questions Antonio is unsure of as he rides in Uncle Pedro's truck?
5. Why is Ultima a welcome addition to the Marez family?
6. What happens after the Marez brothers confront their mother and father in Chapter 9?
7. Describe the ultimatum between Tenorio, his men, Narcisco and Anotnio's father.
8. Describe the tale of the golden carp.
9. What is special about the arrival of Ultima into the Marez home?
10. What is meant by the phrase "men of the earth"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The sun and the moon, the llano and the river play a role in Antonio's maturity. What other characteristics play a significant role in Antonio's development? What individuals play a significant role in Antonio's development? What would happen to Antonio is he did not have these characteristics or characters influencing him?
Essay Topic 2
Bless Me Ultima has been perceived as a type of American western. There are episodes connecting with the theme of manifest destiny (belief held by many Americans in the 1840s that the United States was destined to expand across the continent, by force, as used against Native Americans, if necessary). How does the novel fit into the American western genre? What role do Gabriel, Narcisco, Eugene, Andrew and Leon play in this theme? Are there other characters who personify these themes and genres?
Essay Topic 3
Rudolfo Anaya centers Bless Me, Ultima around the central theme of tension. One example is the mneumonic tension between Antonio's parents, the sea versus the earth. What are other examples of tension throughout the novel? Examine the symbols of tension between good and evil.
This section contains 1,141 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)