|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is burned at the foot of the Virgin's statue when the Marez family prays the rosary?
2. What does Antonio fear about walking along the river in Chapter 3?
3. What is the one thing every fisherman from Guadalupe has not experienced?
4. Whose voice does Antonio wake to in Chapter 5?
5. What does Ultima understand to be Antonio's dilemma in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the Marez brothers do once they return home in Chapter 8?
2. What is the significance of the river for Antonio?
3. What are the advantages for Antonio being the youngest in his family?
4. Why are the Marez brothers anxious to leave their family?
5. How important is prayer for Antonio's mother?
6. What is the difference between a venial sin and a mortal sin?
7. Describe the major event before school let out for the Christmas holidays.
8. What happens to Florence while swimming at Blue Lake?
9. What is the significance of Antonio seeing his brothers in his dream?
10. Describe the Marez home on the first day of school.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As the reader watches Antonio mature, he undergoes several initiation rites. Explain what some of these initiation rites are in the novel. What is the most crucial test he must pass? Why is this test important?
Essay Topic 2
Bless Me, Ultima is set in the Southwest United States, more specifically New Mexico. The region was originally inhabited by ancient Nuevos Mexicanos, who populated the region between Central America and the Rio Grande river valley in the United States. How does this setting enrich the story? What would happen if the novel were situated elsewhere? If you could rewrite the novel, what location would the story take place? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Bless Me Ultima has been compared to James Joyce's Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man. How does Catholicism influence Bless Me, Ultima? Does one have to be Catholic to understand Bless Me, Ultima? Why or why not? What other religion could be substituted in place of Catholic icons, images and people?
This section contains 1,090 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)