|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the relationship between Horse, Abel and Vitamin Kid?
2. What is the fear of the church?
3. Who comforts Antonio when he awakes from his dream of his mother crying for the return of her sons.
4. Why was Antonio's father bitter?
5. Which brother suffers from war sickness?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Antonio's brother's reaction to the war?
2. Describe the relationship between Antonio's mother (Maria) and father (Gabriel).
3. What role does Ultima's owl play?
4. Describe the major event before school let out for the Christmas holidays.
5. What is Antonio's advantage of having his cubicle at the top of the stairs?
6. Describe the adventure Cico and Antonio set out for in Chapter 11.
7. How important is prayer for Antonio's mother?
8. What do the Marez brothers believe Antonio's role will be in the family?
9. What happens after the Marez brothers confront their mother and father in Chapter 9?
10. Describe the sights and sounds of harvest time in El Puerto.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Unlike most peers his age, Antonio has experienced death at a young age. What end-of-life experiences does Antonio witness? Do these death experiences make him stronger in character or harm him? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Antonio learns not only his Hispanic Catholic heritage but also his Native American heritage through Ultima. What Catholic icons, sacraments and beliefs are explored in the novel? What Native American traditions or symbols are discussed in Bless Me, Ultima? What are the similarities between the two?
Essay Topic 3
Bless Me, Ultima displays elements of magic. What are some examples of magic in the novel? How could any of these examples be explained scientifically? Do you believe Antonio is hurt from or benefits from these magical experiences? Explain your answer.
This section contains 988 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)