|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are happy memories for Antonio's father?
(a) Working in the highway department with his sons.
(b) Planting the juniper tree with his sons.
(c) Growing up on the llano.
(d) Building a home with his sons.
2. What does Narcisco warn the Marez family?
(a) Tenorio is blaming Ultima for his daughter's death.
(b) Montano, Manuelito and Cruz Sedilla are coming to steal their horses.
(c) The moon will not journey from east to west.
(d) The town is sinking into the river.
3. What are the school children told to do with the Host?
(a) Swallow in one gulp.
(b) Swallow it immediately.
(c) Chew it like gum.
(d) Blow bubbles.
4. What does Ultima tell the men to make to ward off the evil curse?
(a) A four posted platform made of cedar to burn.
(b) Juniper branches next to a damp casket.
(c) A juniper platform to put a dead body.
(d) Yerba de la vivora brush laced with herbs.
5. What is the ceremony the priest participated in, in the altar?
(a) Distributing communion hosts to altar boys.
(b) Reading the Easter prayers.
(c) Hearing confessions.
(d) Changing the bread and wine into flesh and blood.
6. What happened to Florence's mother?
(a) She married another man.
(b) She left town.
(c) She drank too much whiskey.
(d) She died when he was three.
7. What is Tenorio planning to do to Ultima?
(a) Start a witchhunt.
(b) Kidnap her from the Marez home.
(c) Steal her magical potions.
(d) Kill her owl.
8. What are the holiest robes?
(a) Father Byrnes priest vestments.
(b) Virgen's blue robe and the cloth with the face of Christ.
(c) Ultima's shawl and Antonio's mother's smock.
(d) Narcisco and Lupito's burial shroud.
9. What does Antonio wonder after Andrew leaves with his brothers for Santa Fe in Chapter 15?
(a) The death of Narcisco influenced Andrew's decision.
(b) Andrew needed money.
(c) Andrew broke up with his girlfriend.
(d) Andrew was fired from his job at Allen's Market.
10. What is a scapular?
(a) A kitchen utensil.
(b) A small pouch with the pciture of the Virgin or St. Joseph.
(c) A small hoe.
(d) A fish that swims upstream with the golden carp.
11. What does the priest do when Tenorio arrives with his daughter's funeral procession?
(a) Make a sign of the cross.
(b) Bar the entrance.
(c) Offer a holy scapular.
(d) Unlock the campo santo.
12. What are the boys doing in walled portion of Blue Lake which they were forbidden?
(c) Body surfing.
13. Why does Antonio's mother guard Ultima from those looking for her help?
(a) She wanted Ultima to stay close to Antonio.
(b) She was afraid Tenorio would harm her.
(c) She knew Ultima was getting older.
(d) She didn't care for the villagers.
14. What gives a person understanding?
(b) Golden Carp.
(c) Holy Trinity.
15. What are mortal sins?
(a) Sins against the church.
(b) Small sins such as lying.
(c) Sins committed to Purgatory.
(d) Grave sins such as murder.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Cico and Antonio believe is ready to learn about the golden carp?
2. What sin did God commit for Florence?
3. What question does Antonio have about God?
4. What is the coroner's ruling of Narcisco's death?
5. What did Father Byrnes do to Bones?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)