|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Antonio's mother doing while cooking for his brothers?
(a) Singing hymns.
(b) Burning incense by the statue of the Virgin.
(c) Praying the rosary.
(d) Crying uncontrollably.
2. Which brother is considered most like Antonio's mother?
3. How much did Antonio's grandfather pay Ultima to rid Lucas of the brujas' curse?
(a) 40 cents.
(b) 40 silver coins.
4. Why are Deborah and Theresa happy that Ultima came to live with them?
(a) Deborah and Theresa were going to catechism class.
(b) Ultima does many of their household chores.
(c) Ultima took the girls into town.
(d) Deborah and Theresa were going to Mass.
5. Why does the owl cry out in alarm in Chapter 7?
(a) To warn of Lupito's ghost.
(b) To warn Antonio his dream was over.
(c) To announce the end of the war.
(d) To warn that Antonio's brothers were arriving home.
6. Who comforts Antonio when he awakes from his dream of his mother crying for the return of her sons.
(a) Antonio's mother.
(b) Antonio's father.
7. How often does Antonio see his brothers once they returned from war?
(a) Once at night.
(b) Only midafternoon.
(c) Two times a day.
(d) Morning at breakfast.
8. Who says, "Every man is delivered of a woman, and must be fulfilled by a woman?"
9. What is the fear of the church?
(a) The faithful would not pray the rosary.
(b) The faithful would idol the golden carp.
(c) The moon would not pass from east to west.
(d) Faith would be placed in the powers of la curandera.
10. Whose voice does Antonio wake to in Chapter 5?
(d) Antonio's mother.
11. What happens to the river's water in Chapter 2?
(a) The water runs backwards.
(b) It matchs the blue night sky.
(c) It churns a murkey brown color.
(d) It is stained with red after Lupito's death.
12. What objects in life did Antonio choose when he was a baby?
(a) Pen and paper.
(b) Ball and whistle.
(c) Glove and sock.
(d) Rosary and hymnal.
13. How does Horse gain his nickname?
(a) He stomps on the ground like a horse.
(b) He runs as fast as a horse.
(c) He always rides a horse into town.
(d) His legs are shaped like a horse.
14. What name does Pedro call Antonio?
15. Why was Antonio's father bitter?
(a) He wants to purchase more land for his sons to farm.
(b) His dream is to take his sons and move westward to California.
(c) Antonio's father doesn't want Ultima to live with the Marez family.
(d) He wants to go to war with his sons.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the relationship between the owl and la Virgen de Guadalupe?
2. Why is Antonio's grandfather's house special?
3. Why does Narcisco plant his garden by the light of the moon?
4. What does Antonio's father attempt to do when the crowd of men finally find Lupito?
5. What does Ultima bring with her that provides warm memories for Antonio?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)