|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Antonio prefer his uncle Pedro instead of his other uncles?
(a) He is the easiest uncle to understand.
(b) He sounds like Antonio when he sings at Mass.
(c) He resembles Antonio in looks.
(d) He is the youngest in the family like Antonio.
2. Who tells Antonio the war is over?
(c) Miss Maestas.
(d) Antonio's mother.
3. What is the fear of the church?
(a) Faith would be placed in the powers of la curandera.
(b) The faithful would idol the golden carp.
(c) The faithful would not pray the rosary.
(d) The moon would not pass from east to west.
4. What is burned at the foot of the Virgin's statue when the Marez family prays the rosary?
(a) Herbs and spices.
(b) Alfalfa springs.
(c) Twigs and brush.
(d) Sweet incense.
5. What is the significance of the chipped plaster on the Virgin's statue?
(a) The plaster is sculpted by a priest.
(b) The chip represents the tears the Virgen shed when she met the Indian boy.
(c) The chip exposes pure-white plaster representing her freedom from sin.
(d) The chip represents the wounds suffered by Lupito.
6. What do Antonio and his family see when they pass Rosie's house?
(a) A girl singing.
(b) A girl watering flowers.
(c) A girl hanging herbs.
(d) A girl hanging brightly colored garments.
7. Which brother suffers from war sickness?
8. What does Antonio fear about walking along the river in Chapter 3?
(a) Antonio fears Luptio's killers would attack him.
(b) Antonio fears Lupito's soul flow listless on the river bottom.
(c) Antonio feara he would drown if he walked the river's edge.
(d) Antonio feara the river's water would wash the village away.
9. What does Antonio question after he sees the golden carp?
(a) The golden carp is the real God.
(b) Cico is the son of the golden carp.
(c) The golden carp is Lupito.
(d) The power of God fails when Ultima's power prevails.
10. What does Ultima understand to be Antonio's dilemma in Chapter 4?
(a) Antonio must leave Guadalupe and venture west to California.
(b) Antonio must decides whether to be his father's son or his mother's priest.
(c) Antonio must tell a priest he witnessed a murder.
(d) Antonio must leave for war and join his brothers.
11. What does Antonio's father give each brother upon their arrival home?
(a) Plate of food.
12. What is the one thing Antonio's father and Ultima shared between themselves?
(a) They break their fast before receiving communion.
(b) They witness Lupito's murder.
(c) They are suspicious of priests.
(d) They dream about the blood-stained river.
13. Who tells the story of Ultima arriving at the Marez home?
14. Where did Antonio's father get his education?
(a) Santos Estevan
(d) El Puerto.
15. What objects in life did Antonio choose when he was a baby?
(a) Rosary and hymnal.
(b) Glove and sock.
(c) Ball and whistle.
(d) Pen and paper.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Antonio's father believe fuels his mother's desire for Antonio becoming a priest?
2. What does Antonio question Ultima about the fate of Luptio?
3. Who do the brothers believe will be the answer to their career dilemma?
4. During Antonio's dream in Chapter 7, what do his brothers see in their travels both east and west?
5. What does Antonio's mother do before he leaves for his first day of school?
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)