|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What supplies does Antonio bring on his first day of school?
(d) Chief tablet.
2. How did the war change Antonio's brothers?
(a) They had to go abck to school.
(b) They had to live their own lives.
(c) They had to marry.
(d) They had to help Antonio's father with the farm.
3. When will Juan bring Antonio back to El Puerto?
(a) After he finishes first grade.
(b) After his first communion.
(c) After he grows up.
(d) After his catechism class.
4. What are Antonio's brothers doing in town?
(a) Selling cattle.
(b) Working in a factory.
(c) Getting into trouble.
(d) Going to school.
5. Why does Antonio's mother dream of Antonio becoming a priest?
(a) Priests ruled over a community of farmers.
(b) Her Luna kinsman, a priest, was the first man to settle El Puerto colony.
(c) Antonio would eventually enroll in catechism class.
(d) Antonio's mother knew one of his brothers would not become a priest.
6. Where did Antonio's father get his education?
(c) El Puerto.
(d) Santos Estevan
7. What answer does Ultima give Antonio when he asks how his father can take communion after witnessing a man's death?
(a) Antonio's father has taken catechism class.
(b) All Marez men can take communion under any circumstance.
(c) Men of the llano would not take the life of another llano without just cause.
(d) Men of the llano take communion after going to penance.
8. What objects in life did Antonio choose when he was a baby?
(a) Glove and sock.
(b) Ball and whistle.
(c) Pen and paper.
(d) Rosary and hymnal.
9. What is Antonio driven to accomplish at school?
(a) Sitting in the front of the classroom.
(b) Understanding reading and writing.
(c) Learning to speak English.
(d) Playing ball with his friends.
10. Who tells Antonio the war is over?
(c) Miss Maestas.
(d) Antonio's mother.
11. Antonio lives at home with his parents and two sisters. Where are his three brothers?
(a) Farming in Guadalupe.
(b) Working in a factory in Las Pasturas.
(c) Working for Benito Campos.
(d) Fighting in the war.
12. Why does Antonio's mother look forward to visiting El Puerto?
(a) She could see the Virgin's horned moon.
(b) She could pray the rosary.
(c) She could collect special herbs.
(d) She will be surrounded by her Luna family.
13. Why does Antonio's mother agree to bring la Grande Ultima into her home?
(a) La grande Ultima helped Antonio's mother raise her family when they lived on the llano.
(b) La Grande Ultima pays to live with the Marez family.
(c) Antonio's mother was told by villagers she must bring la Grande Ultima into her home.
(d) La Grande Ultima is the Marez grandmother.
14. How much did Antonio's grandfather pay Ultima to rid Lucas of the brujas' curse?
(b) 40 silver coins.
(c) 40 cents.
15. What does Ultima teach Antonio about plants in Chapter 4?
(a) Plants need to be sung to.
(b) Plants have a spirit.
(c) Plants provide food for the owl.
(d) Plants grow along the river's edge.
Short Answer Questions
1. What career choices do Antonio's brothers believe they are limited to?
2. What trade or occupation does Antonio's mother's family come from?
3. What is the significance of the color black the women wore in Chapter 3?
4. What did Manuelito try to do?
5. In Chapter 2, who says to Antonio, "Bless me."
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)