|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the one thing Antonio's father and Ultima shared between themselves?
(a) They dream about the blood-stained river.
(b) They break their fast before receiving communion.
(c) They are suspicious of priests.
(d) They witness Lupito's murder.
2. Which brother is considered most like Antonio's mother?
3. What feeling does Tony have after his brothers head toward town in Chapter 8?
4. What happens to Antonio at the end of the school year?
(a) He passes from first to third grade.
(b) He learns to draw using a chief tablet.
(c) He learns to write in Spanish.
(d) He learns to speak English.
5. Why is the blood of spring called bad blood?
(a) It causes the animals to grow restless.
(b) It raises the dark insides restless where it laid all winter.
(c) It causes an equinox.
(d) It causes the blood of winter to clot.
6. Who are the boys who befriend Antonio during the first few months of school?
(a) George and Willy.
(b) Jason and Horse.
(c) George and Vitamin Kid.
(d) Vitamin Kid and Horse.
7. What is the relationship between the owl and la Virgen de Guadalupe?
(a) La Virgen de Guadalupe will destroy the owl.
(b) The owl takes all of la Virgen de Guadalupe babies up to heaven.
(c) Antonio dreams the owl lifts la Virgen de Guadalupe to fly her to heaven.
(d) The owl represents Ultima's sorcery over la Virgen de Guadalupe.
8. When will Juan bring Antonio back to El Puerto?
(a) After his first communion.
(b) After he grows up.
(c) After his catechism class.
(d) After he finishes first grade.
9. Who tells Antonio the war is over?
(b) Miss Maestas.
(c) Antonio's mother.
10. What does Cico tell Tony never to do in Chapter 11?
(a) Kill the carp.
(b) Swim in Blue Lake.
(c) Fish for the black bass.
(d) Eat from Narciso's garden.
11. What plant provides the greatest magical power?
(a) Yerba del manso heals burns, sores and bleeding.
(b) Osha cures coughs and colds.
(c) Cactus seeds eliminate bad breath.
(d) Oregano reduces high fever.
12. Who do the brothers believe will be the answer to their career dilemma?
13. Why does Narcisco plant his garden by the light of the moon?
(a) He waits until the farmers return from llano.
(b) He waits for the moonlight to sow his seeds.
(c) The sun is too hot during the day.
(d) He waits until the bad blood of spring washes away.
14. Which brother suffers from war sickness?
15. What does the Marez family do at the end of supper?
(a) Go to Guadalupe to attend Mass.
(b) Read books.
(c) Harvest alfalfa to feed the rabbits.
(d) Pray the rosary.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the owl do when Antonio and Ultima walk together along the river?
2. Which of Antonio's brothers is the oldest?
3. Why does Antonio's mother dream of Antonio becoming a priest?
4. Who does Antonio's father believe fuels his mother's desire for Antonio becoming a priest?
5. Why does Antonio's father not like priests?
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)