|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of weapon does Teft pack for protection before leaving for the quest?
2. After Teft's outburst on the airplane, what unexpectedly silenced him?
3. How do the boys finally sneak out of camp?
4. Why does Lally Two want to abandon the plan and return to camp?
5. Which of the boys vomited in the Petrified Forest earlier in the day Cotton had his disturbing dream?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Cotton feel when he hears the gang fighting and blaming each other for their plan's failure?
2. Why aren't the boys arrested when they unexpectedly run into a police car while trying to steal a car?
3. What dramatic event occurred when Teft was flying to Arizona?
4. How did Shecker first prompt the Bedwetters' rebellious behavior?
5. What happened at the Petrified Forest on the day before Cotton had his alarming dream?
6. Why did the boys finally fall apart, threatening to quit the quest and return to camp?
7. Who takes control, and how, when the bullies discover the boys are driving a stolen vehicle?
8. What is the end result of Cotton's demand that the boys vote unanimously about whether or not they should continue their mission?
9. What does Cotton dream about in the opening chapter of the novel?
10. After relocating Lally Two, how does Cotton exhibit his leadership over the misfit boys, particularly in their decision to go forward with their "dangerous" plan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the act of "bumping" in the novel. Where was this action first learned? How did it affect the Bedwetters as a group? Choose one situation in which the bump was used, and explain its outcome. What other groups of men use physical contact like this to come together? What parallels can be formed through this comparison? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
How does Swarthout use both the Bedwetters and the buffalo to represent the powerless in society? Based on these comparisons, what comments is Swarthout making about the way society treats the powerless? How is the annual buffalo hunt symbolic of the emotional turmoil the Bedwetters are experiencing? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the references to the Vietnam War present in the novel. At what times is the war mentioned? What symbolism can be found in the references to war, particularly the Vietnam War? Do you think the use of a historical event is an effective symbol to convey a message to the larger reading audience? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,131 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)