|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What status was given to Banneker's mother?
2. Which company hired Latimer upon his return from war?
(a) Garrison and Douglass.
(b) George and Cutler.
(c) Wright and Woods.
(d) Crosby and Gould.
3. What nationality was Rillieux's father?
4. How many patents were held by McCoy?
5. What was the woman's first name?
Short Answer Questions
1. Lewis joined which branch of the military during the Civil War?
2. Where did McCoy's parents move from before McCoy was born?
3. What word best describes Banneker's family?
4. What was the name of Latimer's wife?
5. What was the former residence of the grandmother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What activity did Banneker undertake when he was 41 years old? Why was the project important?
2. What job did Lewis Latimer get that helped to propel him into the field of drafting? What did Latimer propose to his employers? How did it affect his career?
3. Discuss McCoy's education and training in the engineering field.
4. What was the reason Rillieux decided to leave New Orleans? Where did Rillieux go?
5. What barrier did Banneker face when he decided to create a clock from scratch?
6. Who was Benjamin Banneker? What was Banneker's contribution to the country?
7. Explain how Woods taught himself to become an engineer.
8. Before the invention of the Safety Hood, Garrett Morgan was involved in another field. What was the field? What invention came out of Morgan's work in that area?
9. Describe George Latimer's contribution to the abolitionist movement, how it came about, and which famous people helped Latimer along the way.
10. What items did Banneker use to assist in creating the project? How long did it take to build? What was unusual about the piece?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)