|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of the major in charge of the plans for Washington, DC?
(a) L' Enfant,
2. How many years did the woman spend in bondage for the crime?
3. What did Rillieux's father do for a living?
(b) Bible salesman.
4. On what charge was the grandmother arrested?
(c) Helping slaves run away.
5. How long did it take for Banneker to create the item?
(a) 6 months.
(b) 4 years.
(c) 2 years.
(d) 1 year.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Lewis Latimer's middle name?
2. In what capacity did Latimer work for Edison?
3. What phrase was often used in regards to electrical engineering at the time?
4. What was the surname of the company's owner?
5. Banneker spent a great deal of his day performing which activity?
Short Essay Questions
1. What barrier did Banneker face when he decided to create a clock from scratch?
2. The text claims that Banneker was born of unusual stock. What does that mean?
3. Norbert Rillieux was born to a wealthy French inventor. What invention did the father create? How did the father's education affect Norbert? Why was the decision made?
4. What was revolutionary about Matzeliger's invention? What had stopped previous inventors from creating the same machine?
5. How did Latimer's case change the face of the law in regards to escaped slaves?
6. Discuss Wood's first patent. What patent soon followed? How were Woods' patents connected?
7. Explain the heritage and early years of Jan Earnst Matzeliger. Where did the family originate? At what age did Matzeliger come to the US?
8. What was the purpose of the telephone patents? Why were the inventions important? What industry eventually adopted the system?
9. What were McCoy's natural gifts? What prevented McCoy from working in his chosen field when he returned to the US?
10. Before the invention of the Safety Hood, Garrett Morgan was involved in another field. What was the field? What invention came out of Morgan's work in that area?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)