|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of company was opened by Woods?
(b) Physics lab.
(d) Shoe manufacturer.
2. What was the woman's prior occupation?
(c) Dairy maid.
3. What item was given to Banneker as a gift?
(a) Pocket watch.
4. What did Rillieux's father do for a living?
(a) Bible salesman.
5. In what year did Latimer's former master try to claim him?
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year did Edison invent the electric light?
2. From whom was Banneker able to borrow books on the subject?
3. Rillieux became interested in the process of refining which of the following?
4. At what age did Woods get his first job?
5. Lewis joined which branch of the military during the Civil War?
Short Essay Questions
1. What activity did Banneker undertake when he was 41 years old? Why was the project important?
2. What astounding accomplishment did Banneker make in regards to the building of Washington, DC?
3. hen did McCoy obtain his first patent? What was the invention? What other inventions can be attributed to McCoy?
4. Rillieux became interested in what process? What process was in place when Rillieux began? How did Rillieux's invention help the industry?
5. List at least five of Woods' inventions.
6. What is the opening passage of the story of Benjamin Banneker? Which famous people were involved?
7. Who was Benjamin Banneker? What was Banneker's contribution to the country?
8. What were McCoy's natural gifts? What prevented McCoy from working in his chosen field when he returned to the US?
9. Before the invention of the Safety Hood, Garrett Morgan was involved in another field. What was the field? What invention came out of Morgan's work in that area?
10. What items did Banneker use to assist in creating the project? How long did it take to build? What was unusual about the piece?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)