|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To which state did Latimer flee to gain freedom?
(b) New York.
(c) Rhode Island.
2. What word is used in reference to McCoy's fascination with mechanical objects?
3. How long did it take for Banneker to create the item?
(a) 4 years.
(b) 1 year.
(c) 6 months.
(d) 2 years.
4. Which item was not invented by McCoy?
(a) Lawn sprinkler.
(b) Ironing board.
(c) Lubricating cup.
5. Which inventor was most often compared to Thomas Edison?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the company Latimer worked for next?
2. Early on, Latimer developed which of the following for railroad cars?
3. What status was given to Banneker's mother?
4. What phrase was often used in regards to electrical engineering at the time?
5. In what year was Norbert Rillieux born?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Latimer's case change the face of the law in regards to escaped slaves?
2. What were McCoy's natural gifts? What prevented McCoy from working in his chosen field when he returned to the US?
3. What was the purpose of the telephone patents? Why were the inventions important? What industry eventually adopted the system?
4. What life changing event occurred in Banneker's pre-teen years?
5. Describe George Latimer's contribution to the abolitionist movement, how it came about, and which famous people helped Latimer along the way.
6. What gift was given to Banneker? What about the gift fascinated Banneker to the point of near obsession?
7. Banneker's grandparents were farmers. Explain why the couple had unusual success and with which crops.
8. Explain the heritage and early years of Jan Earnst Matzeliger. Where did the family originate? At what age did Matzeliger come to the US?
9. What type of company did Woods start? Was the company lucrative? What was Woods' preferred occupation?
10. Norbert Rillieux was born to a wealthy French inventor. What invention did the father create? How did the father's education affect Norbert? Why was the decision made?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)