|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do P.D. East's neighbors and friends treat him?
2. At the church downtown, what does Griffin pick up?
3. According to Griffin, what attitude does the custard stand attendant have toward him?
4. After Griffin is dropped off downtown by P.D. East, what type of church does Griffin visit?
5. What group of people does Griffin notice is particularly good at giving the hate stare?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Griffin do as he leaves the young black man's house?
2. What does Griffin do in the Catholic church he visits?
3. Why does Griffin decide to go to Mississippi?
4. Describe what Griffin sees on the bathroom wall of the bus station.
5. How does the city of Montgomery change for Griffin as he becomes more and more white?
6. According to Griffin, what is the attitude of blacks in Montgomery?
7. What is once piece of advice that Bill Williams gives Griffin?
8. What does Griffin mean when he says he feels like a tenth-class citizen?
9. Explain why Griffin thinks white men pick him up while he is hitchhiking.
10. Why do the young black man's children think they are having a party?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the book, what does Griffin learn about racism and religion? How do these two seemingly conflicting practices relate to one another? Use Griffin's experiences and reflections to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the book, Griffin learns there are many ways in which he cannot behave as a black man that would be acceptable for whites in public. Choose three of these behavior lessons and describe their significance to his learning experience as a whole.
Essay Topic 3
What types of struggles does Griffin have emotionally when he changes his identity? Analyze how this experience affects Griffin's feelings about himself and the difficulties he has with his own personal identity crisis.
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)