|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What types of rumors does Griffin try to dispel about blacks in the fifth section of the book?
2. What does the man who picks Griffin up as a hitchhiker say he dislikes about Mississippi?
3. At the start of the fifth section of the book, with whom do Griffin and P.D. East meet?
4. According to Griffin, why do white men give him rides as a hitchhiker?
5. While he is at the church, why does Griffin pick up the piece of writing?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Griffin pass back into white society?
2. Why do the young black man's children think they are having a party?
3. Describe what Griffin sees on the bathroom wall of the bus station.
4. What does Griffin do as he leaves the young black man's house?
5. What is once piece of advice that Bill Williams gives Griffin?
6. Why does the black preacher Griffin meets in Mobile say he loves whites?
7. What do the blacks consider doing when the bus driver will not let them off the bus for the ten-minute break?
8. How does the city of Montgomery change for Griffin as he becomes more and more white?
9. What does Griffin mean when he says he feels like a tenth-class citizen?
10. What does Griffin do in the Catholic church he visits?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.'s role in the book. Based on your knowledge of Dr. King's role in history and what you have read in the book, explain three things you think the two men would agree upon. Use examples from the text to support your answer. How would the two get along if they ever met?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the book, Griffin is faced with the differences in opportunities for blacks and whites. Explain situations in which blacks and whites have different types of opportunities, and how Griffin discovers these differences. For each, analyze Griffin's feelings about the situation.
Essay Topic 3
As a journalist, Griffin is drawn to many different types of writing in the book. Choose four publications Griffin comes across, describe their contents and purpose, and explain their impact on Griffin and his journey.
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)