|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the sixth section of the book, why does Griffin say that the night is a black man's paradise?
2. According to Griffin, why do white men give him rides as a hitchhiker?
3. At the church downtown, what does Griffin pick up?
4. How does the well-dressed black man make Griffin feel?
5. Outside the bathroom with the flier, what does Griffin see in the trashcan?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Griffin do in the Catholic church he visits?
2. Explain why Griffin thinks white men pick him up while he is hitchhiking.
3. Why is the white man who picks Griffin up at the beginning of the fourth section hypocritical?
4. What does Griffin do as he leaves the young black man's house?
5. Why does Christophe make Griffin nervous?
6. Why does Griffin decide to go to Mississippi?
7. What do the blacks consider doing when the bus driver will not let them off the bus for the ten-minute break?
8. Why does P.D. East have to go to New Orleans?
9. According to Griffin, how do the blacks automatically act among one another on the bus to Mississippi?
10. What attitude does Griffin feel most whites in Mobile take towards blacks?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What types of struggles does Griffin have emotionally when he changes his identity? Analyze how this experience affects Griffin's feelings about himself and the difficulties he has with his own personal identity crisis.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the book, Griffin is faced with the differences in opportunities for blacks and whites. Explain situations in which blacks and whites have different types of opportunities, and how Griffin discovers these differences. For each, analyze Griffin's feelings about the situation.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Griffin's understanding of the relationship between blacks and whites in the south at the beginning of his journey and at the end of his journey. Use examples from the text to show how his understanding changes or stays the same.
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)