|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What emotion does Griffin have at the end of the second section of the book?
2. In the third section of the book, what school does Griffin visit?
3. Which of these is not a reaction of Griffin's wife when he tells her of his plan?
4. Where is the first location Griffin goes to, immediately after his transformation?
5. After lunch with Sterling, where is the first place Griffin visits?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Griffin feels when he leaves his hotel at the beginning of the second section.
2. According to Griffin and Mr. Gayle, what is the first step whites believe would threaten the survival of the white race?
3. What does Griffin tell his host that he is doing in New Orleans?
4. What are three jobs that Griffin tries to get as a black man in the third section of the book?
5. How do A. L. Davis and Mr. Gayle feel about Griffin's views about "the problem" of blacks?
6. Why is J.P. Guillory confused when he hears Griffin's name?
7. Do other people support Griffin when he tells them about his project?
8. What is Griffin comforted by after he has trouble finding a job?
9. How do you think Griffin feels physically at the end of this section?
10. How does Griffin's doctor view civil rights and equality for blacks?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After reading the book, do you think the problems Griffin addresses are limited only to the Southern states? Predict what Griffin's journey would be like if he had ventured North. Go into detail about one Northern stop on his journey, and decide what conclusion he may come to in that place.
Essay Topic 2
What types of struggles does Griffin have emotionally when he changes his identity? Analyze how this experience affects Griffin's feelings about himself and the difficulties he has with his own personal identity crisis.
Essay Topic 3
During Griffin's travels, he is faced with many negative portrayals of black women. Explain at least three examples of these portrayals from the text and describe how these portrayals affect the public perception of black women by both black society and white society.
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)