|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of these does not describe Griffin's emotions once his transformation is complete?
2. What does Griffin say is the biggest problem blacks have?
3. To which state does Griffin travel first?
4. During Griffin's first encounter with a white man, how does the white man act toward Griffin?
5. During the third section of the book, on what object does Griffin sit while he is in the public space, after his walk?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Sterling and his friend Joe taunt the homeless man on the street?
2. What are three jobs that Griffin tries to get as a black man in the third section of the book?
3. Do other people support Griffin when he tells them about his project?
4. Describe Griffin's skin treatments in New Orleans.
5. Describe Griffin's confrontation in the street toward the end of the second section of the book.
6. Describe Griffin's experience when he tries to sit on a bench in Jackson Square.
7. What do Griffin and Mr. Gayle say about equality in the job market?
8. How do you think Griffin feels physically at the end of this section?
9. How does the manner in which Sterling Williams speaks to Griffin the second time they meet differ from that of the first time?
10. According to Griffin, how do Southern whites view the relationship between races?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the book, what does Griffin learn about racism and religion? How do these two seemingly conflicting practices relate to one another? Use Griffin's experiences and reflections to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
In many cases, Griffin learns that whites will show sympathy for blacks as individuals, but not as a larger group. Based on Griffin's observations, what is the logic behind this behavior? Use at least three examples from the text to support your response.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the attitudes of residents in two different cities in the book. Include analysis of the attitudes of blacks in these cities, and the attitudes of whites in these cities. Be sure to use Griffin's observations to support your answer.
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)