|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the start of the fourth section of the book, why is Sterling upset when Griffin goes to visit him?
(a) He has heard that other blacks were suspicious of Griffin.
(b) He has not had a customer in more than a week.
(c) He has heard about a disturbing court case involving a black man.
(d) He has not gotten paid by his last customer.
2. How does Griffin react to his interactions with the first white man he meets in the sixth section of the book?
(a) He is shocked.
(b) He is sick.
(c) He is not phased.
(d) He is sympathetic.
3. While he is at the church, why does Griffin pick up the piece of writing?
(a) He wants to know the Church's stance on race equality.
(b) He wants to find a safe place to stay.
(c) He desperately wants to sit and read.
(d) He is looking for spiritual guidance.
4. What is the name of the well-dressed black man who gets on the bus at one of its stops?
5. What man does Griffin credit with the difference in the attitude of blacks he notices in Montgomery?
(a) Inez Baskin.
(b) Ralph David Abernathy.
(c) Nat King Cole.
(d) Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does P.D. East initially interact with Griffin?
2. According to Griffin's observations, how do blacks on the bus interact with one another at first?
3. At the start of the fifth section of the book, where do Griffin and P.D. East go?
4. What group of people does Griffin notice is particularly good at giving the hate stare?
5. How does Griffin remember his past experience in Mobile as a young, white man?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the home of the young black man that allows Griffin to spend the night in his house.
2. Why does the black preacher Griffin meets in Mobile say he loves whites?
3. Describe what Griffin sees on the bathroom wall of the bus station.
4. Explain why Griffin thinks white men pick him up while he is hitchhiking.
5. How does the man from Massachusetts Griffin meets while hitchhiking feel about people from Mississippi?
6. How does Griffin pass back into white society?
7. What do the blacks consider doing when the bus driver will not let them off the bus for the ten-minute break?
8. What does Griffin do as he leaves the young black man's house?
9. What is once piece of advice that Bill Williams gives Griffin?
10. Why does Christophe make Griffin nervous?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)