|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Griffin, why do white men give him rides as a hitchhiker?
(a) Because they suspect he is a white man.
(b) Because they feel bad for him.
(c) So they can ask him personal questions.
(d) So they can brag to their friends.
2. Why are the children of the young black man excited to see Griffin when he walks in their home?
(a) They have never seen a white man before.
(b) They think they are having a party.
(c) They think he is their uncle.
(d) They think he is rich.
3. How old are the children of the black man who befriends Griffin in the sixth section of the book?
(a) Nine to eighteen.
(b) Ten to fifteen.
(c) All are babies.
(d) Nine to four months.
4. What group of people does Griffin notice is particularly good at giving the hate stare?
(a) Older white women.
(b) Twenty-year-old white men.
(c) White businessmen.
5. According to Griffin, what attitude does the custard stand attendant have toward him?
(a) He is indifferent.
(b) He is sympathetic.
(c) He ignores him.
(d) He is cruel.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the custard stand, what does Griffin buy?
2. What job does the well-dressed black man say he used to have?
3. How do P.D. East's neighbors and friends treat him?
4. What does the first white man Griffin meets in the sixth section of the book tell Griffin he and his friends do with blacks who misbehave?
5. According to Griffin's observations, how do blacks on the bus interact with one another at first?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Griffin feel when he calls his wife on the phone?
2. How does the man from Massachusetts Griffin meets while hitchhiking feel about people from Mississippi?
3. Why is Sterling upset when Griffin goes to see him at the shoeshine stand?
4. Why do the young black man's children think they are having a party?
5. According to Griffin, what is the attitude of blacks in Montgomery?
6. Why does Griffin decide to go to Mississippi?
7. What do the blacks consider doing when the bus driver will not let them off the bus for the ten-minute break?
8. Why does the black preacher Griffin meets in Mobile say he loves whites?
9. Explain why Griffin thinks white men pick him up while he is hitchhiking.
10. What does Griffin mean when he says he feels like a tenth-class citizen?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)