|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the fifth section of the book, what is the second city Griffin visits?
(b) New Orleans.
2. What profession does P.D. East have?
(a) He is a restaurant owner.
(b) He is a city official.
(c) He is a doctor specializing in skin care.
(d) He is the editor of a local newspaper.
3. While Griffin is traveling, where is the one place he says he feels safe?
(a) The black bathroom.
(b) The bus.
(c) The newspaper stand.
(d) The church.
4. Where does Griffin decide to go after Montgomery?
5. When Griffin arrives in Mobile, where does he stay the night?
(a) A black YMCA.
(b) A secluded, white hotel.
(c) A black preacher's house.
(d) An old friend's home.
6. How does Griffin travel away from Montgomery?
(a) He drives away in a car.
(c) A train.
(d) A bus.
7. While Griffin is in the cab after getting off the bus, what is the name of the person the cab driver talks about?
(a) Sterling Williams.
(b) Carl Thorton.
(c) George Levitan.
(d) Max Parker.
8. How does Griffin describe the white attitude toward blacks in Mobile?
(a) They are outright friendly toward blacks, more so than whites in other cities.
(b) They are accepting of blacks in all places.
(c) They have a deep hatred of blacks on all levels.
(d) They don't hate blacks personally, they just don't want them around.
9. In what city does the bus to Mississippi finally arrive?
10. At the start of the fourth section of the book, how much time has passed since Griffin became a black man?
(a) Three days.
(b) One week.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) Five days.
11. What types of rumors does Griffin try to dispel about blacks in the fifth section of the book?
(a) Sexual and moral stereotypes.
(b) Education stereotypes.
(c) Hygiene stereotypes.
(d) Travel methods stereotypes.
12. How does Griffin react to his interactions with the first white man he meets in the sixth section of the book?
(a) He is not phased.
(b) He is sympathetic.
(c) He is shocked.
(d) He is sick.
13. At the beginning of the sixth section of the book, how does Griffin decide to leave Mobile?
(b) A train.
(d) A bus.
14. After speaking with Sterling, why does Griffin decide to go to Mississippi?
(a) He cannot stand being in New Orleans anymore.
(b) He needs to see another doctor.
(c) He wants to get away from Sterling.
(d) He wants to see what it is like there.
15. How does the well-dressed black man make Griffin feel?
Short Answer Questions
1. On the bus, what do the other blacks tell Griffin about Mississippi?
2. How many rooms are in the home of the young black man who befriends Griffin in the sixth section of the book?
3. From what state is the man who picks Griffin up as a hitchhiker?
4. Why does Griffin decide to only go out at night in Montgomery?
5. According to Griffin, why do white men give him rides as a hitchhiker?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)