|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the fifth section of the book, what do many people warn Griffin about?
(a) Revealing his identity.
(b) Traveling to different cities.
(c) Sexual encounters.
(d) Making trouble.
2. How does the well-dressed black man act toward the other blacks?
(a) He refuses to speak to anyone unless he is spoken to first.
(b) He yells at them and calls them ignorant.
(c) He gives them money.
(d) He is pleasant and courtious.
3. In what city does the bus to Mississippi finally arrive?
4. At the church downtown, what does Griffin pick up?
(a) A psalm.
(b) A book.
(c) A newspaper article.
(d) A pamphlet.
5. What does Griffin do to his skin to help get rid of some of the color?
(a) Rubs his skin raw.
(b) Runs around town to sweat.
(c) Coats himself with oatmeal.
(d) Takes his medication.
6. How does Griffin travel away from Montgomery?
(a) A train.
(b) A bus.
(c) He drives away in a car.
7. While Griffin is on the pay phone, how does he write that he feels?
8. How does Griffin describe the white attitude toward blacks in Mobile?
(a) They don't hate blacks personally, they just don't want them around.
(b) They are outright friendly toward blacks, more so than whites in other cities.
(c) They have a deep hatred of blacks on all levels.
(d) They are accepting of blacks in all places.
9. What types of rumors does Griffin try to dispel about blacks in the fifth section of the book?
(a) Hygiene stereotypes.
(b) Travel methods stereotypes.
(c) Education stereotypes.
(d) Sexual and moral stereotypes.
10. What group of people does Griffin notice is particularly good at giving the hate stare?
(b) Older white women.
(c) Twenty-year-old white men.
(d) White businessmen.
11. Who is the author of the piece of writing Griffin picks up at the church?
(a) Reverend A. L. Davis.
(b) A poor black man.
(c) The town historian.
(d) Father Robert Guste.
12. In the sixth section of the book, why does Griffin say that the night is a black man's paradise?
(a) He does not have to work.
(b) He feels he can blend into the darkness.
(c) He can being traveling again.
(d) He will not have to worry about food.
13. What profession does the well-dressed black man think Griffin has?
(a) A priest.
(b) A shoeshine.
(c) A journalist.
(d) A doctor.
14. At the start of the fifth section of the book, where do Griffin and P.D. East go?
(d) New Orleans.
15. At the beginning of the sixth section of the book, how does Griffin decide to leave Mobile?
(b) A bus.
(d) A train.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long is the break the bus driver gives his passengers on the bus to Mississippi?
2. What does the man who picks Griffin up as a hitchhiker say he dislikes about Mississippi?
3. According to Griffin, why do white men give him rides as a hitchhiker?
4. How do P.D. East's neighbors and friends treat him?
5. On the bus, what do the other blacks tell Griffin about Mississippi?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)