|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the custard stand, what does Griffin buy?
(a) A coke float.
(b) An ice cream cone.
(c) A soda.
(d) A glass of ice water.
2. How long is the break the bus driver gives his passengers on the bus to Mississippi?
(a) Fifteen minutes.
(b) Five minutes.
(c) Ten minutes.
(d) Three minutes.
3. According to Griffin, how do whites preserve their place in society?
(a) They keep blacks lower.
(b) They work hard at it.
(c) They interact with blacks.
(d) They prove they are better than blacks.
4. What does Griffin do to his skin to help get rid of some of the color?
(a) Runs around town to sweat.
(b) Coats himself with oatmeal.
(c) Takes his medication.
(d) Rubs his skin raw.
5. While Griffin is in the cab after getting off the bus, what is the name of the person the cab driver talks about?
(a) Max Parker.
(b) Carl Thorton.
(c) Sterling Williams.
(d) George Levitan.
6. According to Griffin, how do many whites claim to keep their race pure?
(a) To lynch all blacks.
(b) To starve blacks.
(c) To "go after" black women.
(d) To stop "inbreeding."
7. Where does Griffin decide to go after Montgomery?
8. At the start of the fifth section of the book, with whom do Griffin and P.D. East meet?
(a) Sterling Williams.
(b) Dean Sam Gandy.
(c) Dr. Sid Blander.
(d) George Levitan.
9. In the fifth section of the book, what do many people warn Griffin about?
(a) Traveling to different cities.
(b) Sexual encounters.
(c) Making trouble.
(d) Revealing his identity.
10. What job does the well-dressed black man say he used to have?
(a) A journalist.
(b) A priest.
(c) An altar boy.
(d) A doctor.
11. At the start of the fifth section of the book, where do Griffin and P.D. East go?
(a) New Orleans.
12. After speaking with Sterling, why does Griffin decide to go to Mississippi?
(a) He needs to see another doctor.
(b) He cannot stand being in New Orleans anymore.
(c) He wants to get away from Sterling.
(d) He wants to see what it is like there.
13. According to Griffin, how do white people in Mississippi view their relationship with blacks?
(a) They say they have a troubling relationship with blacks.
(b) They say they do not interact with blacks at all.
(c) They say they do not have blacks in their state.
(d) They say they have a good relationship with blacks.
14. How does Griffin describe the white attitude toward blacks in Mobile?
(a) They are outright friendly toward blacks, more so than whites in other cities.
(b) They have a deep hatred of blacks on all levels.
(c) They are accepting of blacks in all places.
(d) They don't hate blacks personally, they just don't want them around.
15. When Griffin arrives in Mobile, where does he stay the night?
(a) An old friend's home.
(b) A black preacher's house.
(c) A secluded, white hotel.
(d) A black YMCA.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of these best describes where the well-dressed black man sits on the bus?
2. How does the well-dressed black man act toward the other blacks?
3. After visiting with the young black man, whom does Griffin call on the pay phone?
4. Who is the author of the piece of writing Griffin picks up at the church?
5. How does Griffin remember his past experience in Mobile as a young, white man?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)