|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Griffin treated by the first black people he meets?
(a) They are immediately suspicious of him.
(b) They are cruel to him at first.
(c) They are instantly friendly toward him.
(d) They are difficult for him to talk to.
2. Which of these is a job that Griffin unsuccessfully tries to get at the beginning of the third section of the book?
(a) A musician.
(b) A bookkeeper.
(c) A publisher.
(d) A brick layer.
3. Which of these is a job that Griffin unsuccessfully tries to get at the beginning of the third section of the book?
(a) A clerk.
(b) A doctor.
(c) A chef.
(d) A busboy.
4. After Griffin leaves the school in the third section of the book, what type of transportation does he use?
(a) The trolley.
(b) The bus.
(c) The train.
(d) He walks.
5. According to Griffin's observations, what do blacks do to make their lives better?
(a) Put one another down.
(b) Work menial jobs.
(c) Work together.
(d) Start new businesses.
6. Where does Griffin decide to eat dinner in the second section of the book?
(a) The YMCA.
(b) A white restaurant.
(c) Sterling Williams' house.
(d) A cafe.
7. Besides Sterling, with whom does Griffin eat lunch at the shoeshine stand?
(a) Sterling's friend Joe.
(b) The black widow.
(c) George Levitan.
(d) Sterling's brother.
8. While Griffin is walking and looking at restaurants in the third section of the book, whom does he feel he has embarrassed?
(a) His family.
(b) White people.
(c) Other blacks.
9. At the end of his day in the third section of the book, which of these words does not describe Griffin's mood?
10. What does Sterling do with his lunch scraps?
(a) He saves them for later.
(b) He gives them to a black homeless man.
(c) He throws them away.
(d) He eats them all.
11. According to Griffin's observations, what is one tactic whites use to keep blacks in place?
(a) Treating blacks poorly in public.
(b) Limiting the types of foods blacks can eat.
(c) Letting blacks berate one another.
(d) Limiting the types of jobs blacks can have.
12. Which of these is a problem Griffin says blacks face?
(a) Immediate discrimination from whites.
(b) Places to get a cup of coffee.
(c) Opportunities to become educated.
(d) Community centers like YMCAs.
13. What city does Griffin walk through during his skin treatment?
(a) Baton Rouge.
(d) New Orleans.
14. What point of view does Griffin use to tell his story?
(a) All of the above.
(b) Third person.
(c) Second person.
(d) First person.
15. What street does Griffin travel to first, after he finds a bathroom to use?
(a) Carrollton Avenue.
(b) Canal Street.
(c) Bourbon Street.
(d) Magazine Street.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does a black widow pay attention to Griffin?
2. After Griffin speaks to the white man in the third section of the book, how does Griffin feel physically?
3. Which of these is not a reaction of Griffin's wife when he tells her of his plan?
4. In what year was Black Like Me originally published?
5. What does Griffin discusses with Reverend A. L. Davis and Mr. Gayle?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)