|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the staff's reaction when Lorene tells what happened, and gets the man fired who molested her?
2. How does Jimmy make up for his theft?
3. To what student council position does Lorene get elected?
4. What does Lorene refuse to do when she visits Ricky Lockhart?
5. Who is Vernon Jordan?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Lorene's experience tutoring black students.
2. What happens with the cook who everyone fears?
3. Describe Lorene's campaign for student council.
4. How has Lorene changed between her first year and her final year?
5. Who are Annette and Grace?
6. Describe Lorene's rendezvous with Ricky Lockhart at his school.
7. Describe Lorene's friendship with India.
8. What is Lorene's experience on the black ice?
9. What is Lorene looking forward to by the end of her first year?
10. Describe Lorene's friendship with Janie Saunders.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Lorene change over the course of the book? What are the two or three biggest influences on Lorene's maturation? Which one was most influential? What influences did she resist?
Essay Topic 2
In the opening chapter, Lorene Carey says that she wants to start a discussion about growing up black. In what way is this book a conversation, and what would you say in response to Lorene Carey's book?
Essay Topic 3
One of the only times we see Lorene afraid is when she fears she is pregnant. What would being pregnant mean for her, or for her mother?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)