|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are white students anxious to disown, according to Lorene?
2. What arrangement did Lorene make for Ricky Lockhart's visit?
3. Where does Ricky Lockhart invite Lorene?
4. Who is Ms. Clinton?
5. Who is Annette?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Lorene impatient with school?
2. What happens with the cook who everyone fears?
3. Describe Lorene's relationship with Anthony Wade.
4. What areLorene's grades like on her first report card?
5. Describe Lorene's rendezvous with Ricky Lockhart at his school.
6. Describe Lorene's experience tutoring black students.
7. Describe Lorene's date with Booker.
8. Describe Lorene's friendship with Janie Saunders.
9. What does black ice symbolize?
10. How has Lorene changed between her first year and her final year?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the opening chapter, Lorene Carey says that she wants to start a discussion about growing up black. In what way is this book a conversation, and what would you say in response to Lorene Carey's book?
Essay Topic 2
In the end of Black Ice, Lorene is described as a trailblazer. What trail does she blaze, and what path does she leave behind her? For whom in particular does she blaze this path?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Lorene's scale of values: what is most important to her, and what is least important, and why? What does this tell us about her character?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)