|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Archibald Cox talking about when he says "our kind of people"?
2. How does Lorene describe Ms. Clinton?
3. Who is Ms. Clinton?
4. Where does Lorene apply to college?
5. What does Lorene want from her education?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Lorene's visit to Ricky Lockhart in New York.
2. How has Lorene changed between her first year and her final year?
3. What is Lorene's relationship with Alma?
4. What areLorene's grades like on her first report card?
5. How does sitting on the Disciplinary Committee change Lorene?
6. Describe Lorene's friendship with India.
7. What happens with the cook who everyone fears?
8. What happens to Lorene's mother's health at the end of Chapter 10?
9. Describe Lorene's workplace for the summer after her first year.
10. What does black ice symbolize?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is blackness the same for all black students, or are there different blacknesses? How does Lorene's blackness compare with other black students' blackness?
Essay Topic 2
What is missing from this book? What should have been covered or presented that was not? What is the effect of this absence? Describe an element that ought to have been covered, and explain why it would have made the book stronger.
Essay Topic 3
In the end of Black Ice, Lorene is described as a trailblazer. What trail does she blaze, and what path does she leave behind her? For whom in particular does she blaze this path?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)