|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Lorene go for spring break at the beginning of Chapter 8?
2. Where does Lorene apply to college?
3. What does Lorene feel about the sport she chooses for spring?
4. What does Lorene feel about smoking marijuana?
5. How does Lorene characterize her relationship with her mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Lorene's workplace for the summer after her first year.
2. Describe Lorene's date with Booker.
3. What happens to Lorene's mother's health at the end of Chapter 10?
4. What areLorene's grades like on her first report card?
5. What happens with the cook who everyone fears?
6. What is Lorene's experience on the black ice?
7. How does sitting on the Disciplinary Committee change Lorene?
8. Describe Ricky Lockhart's visit to St. Paul's.
9. Describe Lorene's rendezvous with Ricky Lockhart at his school.
10. What is Lorene's relationship with Alma?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is blackness the same for all black students, or are there different blacknesses? How does Lorene's blackness compare with other black students' blackness?
Essay Topic 2
Write a character sketch of the author based on her style and content. What values does she hold dear? What are her hopes and fears? What kind of person do you think she is? Anchor your sketch in passages in the book.
Essay Topic 3
How realistic is this book? What parts are not believable? What leaps of faith does the author require of you as a reader?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)