|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the person Lorene and her parents see give Lorene?
2. What does Lorene say, years later, has happened to the person she and her parents saw their first day at St. Paul's?
3. What does Jimmy Hill mean when he says that he and Lorene will 'turn out' St. Paul's?
4. What does Lorene say her feelings about calling St. Paul's were?
5. How does Lorene describe the black kids she meets at St. Paul's?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Lorene doing now?
2. Who are the first people Lorene describes meeting?
3. What are Lorene's feelings about leaving her friends for St. Paul's?
4. Describe Lorene and her parents' arrival at St. Paul's.
5. Why does Lorene say she is writing her story?
6. When is the last chapter set?
7. What warning did Lorene get in a dream?
8. What does Lorene say she will miss about her high school?
9. By what was Lorene's mother shocked at the meet and greet?
10. Who is Mr. Evans, and what is his relationship with Lorene?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does being black mean to Lorene, and how does she keep her blackness throughout the book? Is it ever in danger?
Essay Topic 2
In the opening chapter, Lorene Carey says that she wants to start a discussion about growing up black. In what way is this book a conversation, and what would you say in response to Lorene Carey's book?
Essay Topic 3
In the end of Black Ice, Lorene is described as a trailblazer. What trail does she blaze, and what path does she leave behind her? For whom in particular does she blaze this path?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)