|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lorene say is the white teachers' feeling about black students?
2. What part of the interview surprised Lorene?
3. When does Lorene get mad?
4. How long has Lorene been teaching, at the beginning of the book?
5. What does Lorene say life at St. Paul's resembles for black students?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are the wombats and what is their role in the novel?
2. Describe Lorene's interview at St. Paul's.
3. What does Mrs. Evans tell Lorene about St. Paul's?
4. In what way does Lorene say that St. Paul's was similar to American culture?
5. What are Lorene's classmates doing, now?
6. What does Lorene say she will miss about her high school?
7. Who is Lorene Carey and what brings her to this setting?
8. Describe Lorene's parents' departure.
9. Why does Lorene say she is writing her story?
10. Describe the meet and greet Lorene and her parents attend.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an evaluative review of Black Ice. What is this book's place in culture? What are its uses? Who is its audience? What are its limitations?
Essay Topic 2
W. E. B. Dubios describes the kingdom of culture as the place where people meet as souls and intellects, and he describes this place as free from race. Does Lorene develop a relationship with the kingdom of culture, and does she ever rise above race? If so, how? If not, why not?
Essay Topic 3
What does being black mean to Lorene, and how does she keep her blackness throughout the book? Is it ever in danger?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)