|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Lorene get mad?
2. What does Lorene say about her parents with regard to her going to school?
3. Why is Lorene mortified in her religion class?
4. Where does Lorene go for the meet and greet with St. Paul's students?
5. What does Lorene say about black ice at the end of the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. When is the last chapter set?
2. Describe Lorene and her parents' arrival at St. Paul's.
3. What are Lorene's classmates doing, now?
4. Describe Lorene's parents' departure.
5. What are Lorene's thoughts about St. Paul's after she has the visit?
6. By what was Lorene's mother shocked at the meet and greet?
7. Why does Lorene say she is writing her story?
8. What does Lorene say when someone asks her whether her daughter will go to St. Paul's?
9. Describe Lorene's relation with white girls.
10. What does Jimmy Hill mean when he says he wants to turn out St. Paul's?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Where is the climax of this book? Are there different climaxes? What questions does each climax resolve? What questions does each climax leave unanswered?
Essay Topic 2
How does Lorene change over the course of the book? What are the two or three biggest influences on Lorene's maturation? Which one was most influential? What influences did she resist?
Essay Topic 3
What does the image of black ice mean to this book? Is there another more powerful image that could convey the essence of the book?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)