|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When is the conclusion set?
2. What does Lorene say is the white teachers' feeling about black students?
3. Who told Lorene about St. Paul's?
4. What does Lorene say the black kids at St. Paul's think?
5. Of what does the opening scene remind Lorene?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Lorene's parents' departure.
2. What has Lorene's relationship with St. Paul's been?
3. What are Lorene's classmates doing, now?
4. Describe Lorene's interview at St. Paul's.
5. What is Lorene's objection regarding her religion exam?
6. What are Lorene's feelings about leaving her friends for St. Paul's?
7. Who are the wombats and what is their role in the novel?
8. When is the last chapter set?
9. What does Lorene say when someone asks her whether her daughter will go to St. Paul's?
10. What does Lorene's mother ask at the meet and greet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the image of black ice mean to this book? Is there another more powerful image that could convey the essence of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Lorene says that she does not feel included in white people's religion, but she still resists sex and drugs, with a certain morality of her own. What is Lorene's religion, and how does she protect her faith in it throughout her experiences?
Essay Topic 3
In the end of Black Ice, Lorene is described as a trailblazer. What trail does she blaze, and what path does she leave behind her? For whom in particular does she blaze this path?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)