|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lorene say is the white teachers' feeling about black students?
(a) They hide important things from them, so they can protect their prejudices.
(b) They push they so they are armed with knowledge.
(c) They don't expect much.
(d) They hold them to higher standards, for their own good.
2. What theme is introduced into the book in Chapter 1?
(a) The need to keep close to home.
(b) The need to let go of home.
(c) The need to take home with you wherever you go.
(d) The need to run as far from home as possible.
3. What did Lorene's mother say she had not done until after she was married?
(a) Opened a checking account.
(b) Lived away from her parents.
(c) Left her state.
(d) Learned about sex.
4. What are Lorene's feelings about her classmates?
(a) She feels left out.
(b) She feels like a mascot.
(c) She feels persecuted.
(d) She feels like the pride of her school.
5. What does Lorene say about black ice at the end of the novel?
(a) That she will save her students from having to learn how to drive on it by experience.
(b) That she will keep her kids from skating on it.
(c) That she has never skated on it.
(d) That she will teach her students to use it for their own good.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lorene say about what her daughter's experience of school is likely to be?
2. Who is Pam Hudson?
3. How does Lorene describe her parents?
4. Where has Jimmy ended up, after graduation?
5. When is the conclusion set?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Lorene work during high school?
2. What does Lorene's mother tell her before she goes off to St. Paul's?
3. What does Lorene feel about her first religion class?
4. Describe Lorene's experience of the Afro-Am.
5. What is Lorene doing now?
6. What are Lorene's feelings about leaving her friends for St. Paul's?
7. Who are the wombats and what is their role in the novel?
8. What does Lorene's mother ask at the meet and greet?
9. How does Lorene say St. Paul's affected her life?
10. What does Lorene say she will miss about her high school?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)