|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What change is marked by Lorene hitting her sister?
(a) She has internalized the violence of her white surroundings.
(b) She is no longer a child and playmate.
(c) She has stopped being family, and begun to be a stranger to her sister.
(d) She has treated her sister the way the cook at the diner treated her.
2. What does Lorene think about when she is on the ice?
(a) Things she learned from Ricky Lockhart.
(b) Things her father told her about white people.
(c) Promises Jimmy Hill made to her.
(d) Things her mother told her about sex.
3. Where was Lorene molested during her summer job?
(a) In the office.
(b) In the freezer.
(c) In the store room.
(d) In the art cabin.
4. What is Lorene's response to what happens during Ricky Lockhart's visit?
(a) She panics, in fear of pregnancy.
(b) She almost reports him to the police.
(c) She elicits a marriage proposal from Ricky Lockhart.
(d) She offers herself to Ricky Lockhart body and soul.
5. What is Lorene's problem with Archibald Cox's conversation over dinner?
(a) He is dismissive of racial equality.
(b) He does not address black concerns at all.
(c) He is condescending toward women's issues.
(d) He has contempt for Northerners.
6. What was Lorene's worst subject?
7. What does Ricky Lockhart ask Lorene over the summer?
(a) To sleep with him.
(b) To visit him.
(c) To marry him.
(d) To help him connect with another girl.
8. Who is Grace?
(a) Lorene's pen pal.
(b) Lorene's study partner.
(c) Lorene's roommate.
(d) Lorene's teacher.
9. What has changed for Lorene by Chapter 10?
(a) She is class president.
(b) She is more comfortable with the school rituals.
(c) She is pregnant.
(d) She is living with her parents.
10. Why was Booker embarrassed on his date with Lorene?
(a) He spilled drinks on himself.
(b) He couldn't think of things to talk about.
(c) He didn't have enough money.
(d) He drank too much and threw up.
11. Where does Lorene work for the summer?
(a) A restaurant.
(b) A camp.
(c) The school.
(d) A supermarket.
12. What is Lorene's goal for the summer?
(a) Save a lot of money.
(b) Learn calculus.
(d) Meet a boy.
13. What does Lorene's teacher tell her about her worst subject?
(a) Her record will be blighted if she fails.
(b) It's alright if she fails it.
(c) She cannot graduate without passing.
(d) She will reinforce every stereotype about women and blacks if she fails.
14. What does Lorene feel about smoking marijuana?
(a) She is unhappy and feels lost.
(b) She is angry at herself for betraying her family.
(c) She is glad to finally be experiencing something.
(d) She is disappointed because she had heard so much about it.
15. What are white students anxious to disown, according to Lorene?
(a) The progress they took for granted.
(b) The wealth they inherited.
(c) The sins of their grandparents.
(d) The expectation of conventional success.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what committee does Lorene sit, in Chapter 10?
2. To what student council position does Lorene get elected?
3. Who is Archibald Cox talking about when he says "our kind of people"?
4. In what play does Lorene have a role in Chapter 7?
5. What is Lorene's view about getting the man fired who molested her?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)