|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was Booker embarrassed on his date with Lorene?
(a) He spilled drinks on himself.
(b) He drank too much and threw up.
(c) He couldn't think of things to talk about.
(d) He didn't have enough money.
2. What is Lorene starting to do at the beginning of Chapter 11?
(a) Tutor black students.
(b) Preach forgiveness to black students.
(c) Agitate for more freedoms for black students.
(d) Teach classes of her own.
3. Who is Archibald Cox?
(a) A U.S. Special Prosecutor.
(b) Lorene's English teacher.
(c) A New Hampshire politician.
(d) The dean of St. Paul's.
4. Where does Lorene work for the summer?
(a) A camp.
(b) The school.
(c) A supermarket.
(d) A restaurant.
5. About what can Lorene talk to India?
(a) Her anxieties.
(b) How crazy white people can be.
(d) Her grandmother.
6. Where do the other black people work?
(a) In the cabins.
(b) In the kitchen.
(c) On the sales floor.
(d) Behind the counter.
7. Where was Lorene molested during her summer job?
(a) In the art cabin.
(b) In the freezer.
(c) In the office.
(d) In the store room.
8. What arrangement did Lorene make for Ricky Lockhart's visit?
(a) She found a room in the boy's dorm where he could stay with a friend of hers.
(b) She made him sleep outside.
(c) She found him an empty bed.
(d) She snuck him into her room.
9. What does Lorene pretend to do?
(a) Fail her classes.
(b) Smoke pot.
(c) Sleep with boys.
10. Who is Vernon Jordan?
(a) Head of the Nation of Islam in America.
(b) Lorene's math tutor.
(c) Head of the Black Panthers.
(d) President of the National Urban League.
11. What does Lorene say everyone says about her education at St. Paul's?
(a) That she has a good start.
(b) That she is not learning anything.
(c) That she is getting a master-class education.
(d) That she is getting a useless education.
12. What is Lorene's problem with Archibald Cox's conversation over dinner?
(a) He is condescending toward women's issues.
(b) He does not address black concerns at all.
(c) He is dismissive of racial equality.
(d) He has contempt for Northerners.
13. What does Lorene want from her education?
(a) Good contacts.
(b) A boyfriend.
(c) A husband.
(d) Skills it takes years to learn.
14. Who is Archibald Cox talking about when he says "our kind of people"?
(b) Rich people.
(c) Educated northerners.
15. On what committee does Lorene sit, in Chapter 10?
(a) The Planning Committee.
(b) The Hiring Committee.
(c) The Discipline Committee.
(d) The Social Committee.
Short Answer Questions
1. What effect does Lorene's committee work have on her relation with St. Paul's?
2. How does Jimmy make up for his theft?
3. What does Lorene feel about smoking marijuana?
4. How does Lorene describe Ricky Lockhart?
5. What does Lorene refuse to do when she visits Ricky Lockhart?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)