|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Ricky Lockhart invite Lorene?
(a) To his school.
(b) To New York.
(c) To his home.
(d) To his parents' cabin.
2. What does Lorene feel about smoking marijuana?
(a) She is unhappy and feels lost.
(b) She is angry at herself for betraying her family.
(c) She is glad to finally be experiencing something.
(d) She is disappointed because she had heard so much about it.
3. To what student council position does Lorene get elected?
4. What is Lorene's view about how blacks should address inequality in American culture?
(a) She believes they should negotiate non-violently.
(b) She believes they should fight.
(c) She believes they should focus on economic stability and prosperity.
(d) She believes they should invest in education.
5. What is Lorene's strategy for passing her worst subject?
(a) She starts a study group.
(b) She skips class.
(c) She meets with the teacher.
(d) She gets a tutor.
6. Who is Vernon Jordan?
(a) Lorene's math tutor.
(b) Head of the Black Panthers.
(c) Head of the Nation of Islam in America.
(d) President of the National Urban League.
7. What is Lorene's problem with Archibald Cox's conversation over dinner?
(a) He is condescending toward women's issues.
(b) He does not address black concerns at all.
(c) He is dismissive of racial equality.
(d) He has contempt for Northerners.
8. What is Grace's ethnicity?
(a) Puerto Rican.
9. What does Lorene decide while she is on the black ice?
(a) To write, not to study.
(b) To make a lot of money.
(c) Not to accept less than the best she can do.
(d) Never to trust men.
10. What does Lorene feel about the sport she chooses for spring?
(a) She does not hate it.
(b) She is passionate about it.
(c) She comes to loathe it.
(d) She masters it quickly.
11. How does Jimmy make up for his theft?
(a) With a public sculpture.
(b) By making a donation to the school.
(c) With a day of dancing.
(d) By volunteering for a day.
12. Who is Anthony Wade?
(a) A boy Lorene on whom has a crush.
(b) A student who helps Lorene with calculus.
(c) A fellow member of the Disciplinary Committee.
(d) The head of the Social Committee.
13. What does Lorene say the other students do before Spring Break?
(a) Buy bathing suits.
(b) Clean up their rooms.
(d) Study for midterms.
14. What is Lorene's view about getting the man fired who molested her?
(a) He fired himself with inappropriate behavior.
(b) He deserved more punishment than he got.
(c) He had it coming from other acts of molestation.
(d) He might have been a victim in his own right, but that didn't give him the right to abuse her.
15. What was Lorene's worst subject?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Archibald Cox?
2. How does Lorene describe Ricky Lockhart?
3. What are white students anxious to disown, according to Lorene?
4. Where does Lorene go for spring break at the beginning of Chapter 8?
5. Who is Archibald Cox talking about when he says "our kind of people"?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)