|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Lorene describe her parents?
(a) Devout black Quakers in their 30s.
(b) Ambitious black couple in their 30s.
(c) Protective adoptive white couple in their 40s.
(d) Humble mixed-race couple in their 40s.
2. How long does the drive take to St. Paul's?
(a) 14 hours.
(b) 8 hours.
(c) 6 hours.
(d) 10 hours.
3. How has Lorene maintained her ties to St. Paul's?
(a) She worked there as an admissions officer.
(b) She taught writing there.
(c) She worked as an alumni liaison.
(d) She worked there in the cafeteria.
4. Where does Lorene go for the meet and greet with St. Paul's students?
(c) St. Paul's.
(d) New York.
5. Where has Jimmy ended up, after graduation?
(a) New York.
(b) San Francisco.
6. What does Lorene feel she has done, by getting into St. Paul's?
(a) Betrayed her friends.
(b) Made her family happy.
(c) Entered white society as an equal.
(d) Escaped from the South.
7. Where does Chapter 1 take place?
(a) St. Paul's.
(b) Lorene's grandparents' house.
(c) Lorene's parents' house.
(d) Lorene's high school.
8. How many kids does Lorene have?
(a) One son.
(b) Two daughters.
(c) One daughter.
(d) One son and two daughters.
9. When is Chapter 1 set?
10. About what does Lorene say it is easiest to write?
(a) St. Paul's.
11. What does Lorene feel about her religion class?
(a) She resents it.
(b) She is enthralled by it.
(c) She loves it.
(d) She is bored by it.
12. From where is Jimmy Hill?
13. What does Lorene's mother say was unfair about the science fair in which Lorene was entered?
(a) Teachers asked Lorene to participate in order to humiliate her.
(b) Lorene's teachers made so many allowances for her that the competition wasn't fair.
(c) Teachers made exceptions for white students but not for Lorene.
(d) Teachers judged Lorene's work by a different standard.
14. Who is Pam Hudson?
(a) A teacher.
(b) Another black student.
(c) One of the first girls to be admitted to St. Paul's.
(d) Lorene's roommate.
15. Why do the white girls say that they don't say anything around Lorene?
(a) Because she is so innocent.
(b) Because she is so naïve.
(c) Because she accuses them of being racist.
(d) Because she gets mad.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Annette Frazier?
2. What question bothers Lorene on her religion exam?
3. What stereotypes does Lorene hear about black people?
4. What does Lorene do after getting into St. Paul's?
5. What does Lorene do at the beginning of Chapter 4?
This section contains 476 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)