|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the outcome of Lorene's call to St. Paul's?
(a) She sets up a meeting.
(b) She has an application sent to her house.
(c) She arranges a campus visit.
(d) She agrees to meet an alumnus to talk about St. Paul's.
2. What does Lorene say about where her daughter will go to school?
(a) She'll go to St. Paul's.
(b) She'll go to Phillips Exeter.
(c) She won't go to St. Paul's.
(d) She'll have to decide for herself.
3. How long has Lorene been teaching, at the beginning of the book?
(a) 9 years.
(b) 1 year.
(c) 15 years.
(d) 6 years.
4. Where has Jimmy ended up, after graduation?
(a) New York.
(c) San Francisco.
5. What does Lorene say about her parents with regard to her going to school?
(a) They knew what kinds of sacrifices they were making for her education.
(b) They didn't have any idea what they were getting into.
(c) They were afraid for her to go south.
(d) They were afraid for her to go north.
6. What does Lorene say about black ice at the end of the novel?
(a) That she has never skated on it.
(b) That she will save her students from having to learn how to drive on it by experience.
(c) That she will teach her students to use it for their own good.
(d) That she will keep her kids from skating on it.
7. How does Lorene describe the black kids she meets at St. Paul's?
8. Who is Jimmy Hill?
(a) The Rector.
(b) A teacher.
(c) Another black student.
(d) An admissions advisor.
9. Where is Lorene from?
(b) Washington D.C.
(c) New York.
10. What part of the interview surprised Lorene?
(a) Her parents attend as well.
(b) The speed with which she was accepted.
(c) The nature of the questions.
(d) The high intellectual standards of the questions.
11. What does Lorene say her feelings about calling St. Paul's were?
12. What does the school suggest Lorene do?
(a) Open a checking account.
(b) Invest in nice clothes.
(c) Get to know other black students.
(d) Come to New Hampshire early to familiarize herself with the area.
13. Where do Lorene and her parents pass through on their way to St. Paul's?
(b) Washington Heights.
(c) The South Bronx.
(d) New Haven slums.
14. What does Lorene feel she has done, by getting into St. Paul's?
(a) Escaped from the South.
(b) Betrayed her friends.
(c) Made her family happy.
(d) Entered white society as an equal.
15. What does Jimmy Hill mean when he says that he and Lorene will 'turn out' St. Paul's?
(a) They will get in as much trouble as possible without being thrown out.
(b) They will show what it means to have soul.
(c) They will find the classiest places to hang out.
(d) They will stand up to the whites.
Short Answer Questions
1. What theme is introduced into the book in Chapter 1?
2. Who is Mrs. Evans' husband?
3. What does Lorene feel about her religion class?
4. About what does Lorene say she wants to start a discussion?
5. What does Lorene dream about in her first term at St. Paul's?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)