|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What prize did William Saroyan turn down for his play, "The Time of Your Life," in 1943?
2. What does the word hokee mean?
3. In what year was Balakian sick with the measles?
4. What sports implement was hanging in the office of Dr. Cooley, the headmaster of Balakian's new private high school?
(a) A lacrosse stick.
(b) A tennis racket.
(c) A baseball bat.
(d) A soccer ball.
5. In what part of Manhattan did Aunt Anna live?
(b) Morningside Heights.
(c) Upper East Side.
(d) Upper West Side.
6. For what did Balakian win a trophy at the end of his first year at the private high school?
(a) Most likely to succeed.
(b) English student of the year.
(c) Most popular freshman.
(d) Freshman athlete of the year.
7. What instrument did Balakian's cousin Haigie play?
8. What color were the kitchen cabinets in the Balakian's new home in Tenafly?
9. At what school did Aunt Anna teach French?
10. In what year did the book open?
11. What anniversary was the Soviet Armenian Republic celebrating when Balakian's father wrote to his son at college urging him to learn more about the country?
12. What Biblical figure were the Jewish boys arguing about during the baseball game in "An Armenian Jew in Suburbia"?
(a) Moses' wife.
(b) Abraham's wife.
(c) Joshua's wife.
(d) Noah's wife.
13. What does the name Arax mean?
14. What injury did Balakian sustain on the football field during August practice before his sophomore year?
(a) Heat exhaustion.
(b) Torn knee ligament.
(c) Pulled Achilles' heel.
15. In what year was the Armenian empire at its height?
(a) 50 CE.
(b) 100 BCE.
(c) 50 BCE.
(d) 25 BCE.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year did Balakian's father save the man having the heart attack at a Columbia game?
2. What was Peter shocked to see his grandmother doing as she read late at night?
3. Why did Balakian not like the works of Anais Nin, who was friends with his aunt?
4. How many children were in the Wall family?
5. What was the name of the poetry journal Balakian founded in 1976?
This section contains 394 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)