|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what New Jersey town did Bedros Aroosian work in the silk mills?
2. What baseball team did Peter and his grandmother root for?
(a) New York Yankees.
(b) New York Mets.
(c) Chicago White Sox.
(d) Philadelphia Phillies.
3. Why did Balakian not like the works of Anais Nin, who was friends with his aunt?
(a) He found her works too ironic.
(b) He found her works too realistic.
(c) He found her works self-indulgent.
(d) He found her works too difficult to understand.
4. Who was Balakian's first anti-hero?
(a) James Dean.
(b) Marlon Brando.
(c) Benjamin Braddock.
(d) Holden Caulfield.
5. What kind of car did the Aroosian women drive during their house-viewing expeditions in 1958?
(a) A Chevrolet.
(b) A Ford.
(c) A Cadillac.
(d) An Oldsmobile.
6. At what school did Aunt Anna teach French?
7. What team was Columbia playing when the fan had a heart attack?
8. What was the name of the private school Balakian was made to attend for high school?
9. What California town was the Armenian-American writer William Saroyan from?
(c) San Francisco.
10. What does odar mean?
11. Where were Balakian and his father when the young woman spoke to the father about leaving her abusive husband?
12. At what age did Aunt Nona begin institutional schooling?
13. On how many hills was Constantinople built?
14. What grocery store did Peter and his grandmother shop at?
15. How many Crusades passed through Byzantium on the way to the Holy Land?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where had Balakian learned the stories of the Bible?
2. How many minutes were Balakian's phone calls restricted to when he was twelve?
3. At what time did Balakian and his friend Ed Harrison routinely sneak out of their houses to explore the town?
4. What prize did William Saroyan turn down for his play, "The Time of Your Life," in 1943?
5. What instrument did Balakian's cousin Haigie play?
This section contains 361 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)