|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose biography was Peter's grandmother reading when he came down late at night to get a bite to eat?
(a) Teddy Roosevelt.
(b) Abraham Lincoln.
(c) Mary Todd Lincoln.
(d) Eleanor Roosevelt.
2. What is pakht?
(a) The force of love.
(c) The force of fate.
3. In what year did the author's family move to Tenafly, New Jersey?
4. Where did Balakian and his father meet the Indian dressed as a chief during their cross-country tour?
(b) The Black Hills.
5. What is the name of the yogurt, water, and mint drink commonly found at Balakian family gatherings?
6. In grandmother's dream about her friend Nevart (described in "The Woman in Blue"), what was Nevart drinking?
7. Whose voice did Balakian describe as hitting him "as broken glass under a tire"?
(a) Elvis Presley.
(b) Jackie Wilson.
(c) Roy Orbison.
(d) Bob Dylan.
8. What meat did the Balakian family frequently eat for dinner?
9. What is the significance of Mt. Ararat?
(a) It is where Abraham was asked to sacrifice his son.
(b) It is where Noah's Ark reportedly landed.
(c) It is where the Armenian people accepted Christianity.
(d) It is where the Ten Commandments were handed down.
10. In what year was the Armenian empire at its height?
(a) 50 CE.
(b) 25 BCE.
(c) 100 BCE.
(d) 50 BCE.
11. How many minutes were Balakian's phone calls restricted to when he was twelve?
(a) 30 minutes.
(b) 15 minutes.
(c) 20 minutes.
(d) Five minutes.
12. What stock did grandmother recommend buying after she had a dream?
13. What color were the kitchen cabinets in the Balakian's new home in Tenafly?
14. Who was driving when the young men crashed the car in the middle of the night, in "Saturday Autumn II"?
(a) Tom Shadek.
(b) Ed Harrison.
(c) Bill Worth.
(d) Peter Balakian.
15. How many Crusades passed through Byzantium on the way to the Holy Land?
Short Answer Questions
1. What baseball team did Peter and his grandmother root for?
2. In what year did Balakian and his father take a Greyhound bus across the United States?
3. How many miles away was Tenafly from Teaneck?
4. In what year did the book open?
5. What color dress did Auntie Anna wear while delivering a talk at Balakian's college?
This section contains 379 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)