|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What advice did Balakian (at the urging of his aunt) reluctantly seek from William Saroyan?
(a) Advice on breaking into poetry.
(b) Recommendations for typewriters.
(c) Recommendations for poetry journals.
(d) Advice on purchasing a car.
2. In what year did Balakian's father save the man having the heart attack at a Columbia game?
3. What kind of ice cream did grandmother buy Peter when they accidentally got off the subway in Harlem?
(d) Italian ice.
4. What poet's work was the class dissecting when Balakian challenged another student's interpretation of the words?
(a) William Butler Yeats.
(b) Sylvia Plath.
(c) Hart Crane.
(d) Robert Frost.
5. In what part of Manhattan did Aunt Anna live?
(b) Morningside Heights.
(c) Upper West Side.
(d) Upper East Side.
6. What does the word hokee mean?
7. What was the nickname of Arkayutiun, the soup Balakian ate while sick?
(a) Soup of Love.
(b) Soup of the Soul.
(c) Soup of Life.
(d) Soup of Heaven.
8. What is the significance of Mt. Ararat?
(a) It is where Abraham was asked to sacrifice his son.
(b) It is where the Ten Commandments were handed down.
(c) It is where Noah's Ark reportedly landed.
(d) It is where the Armenian people accepted Christianity.
9. What does the phrase, "Mairig Asdvadzadzeen," mean?
(a) Holy Spirit.
(b) Son of God.
(c) Holy Ghost.
(d) Mother of God.
10. What Biblical figure were the Jewish boys arguing about during the baseball game in "An Armenian Jew in Suburbia"?
(a) Abraham's wife.
(b) Noah's wife.
(c) Moses' wife.
(d) Joshua's wife.
11. In what year was the Armenian empire at its height?
(a) 25 BCE.
(b) 100 BCE.
(c) 50 BCE.
(d) 50 CE.
12. Where did Franklin Delano Roosevelt attend prep school?
13. How many minutes were Balakian's phone calls restricted to when he was twelve?
(a) 20 minutes.
(b) 15 minutes.
(c) Five minutes.
(d) 30 minutes.
14. What book caused a racial flareup among the football players during Balakian's freshmen year at college?
(a) W.E.B. DuBois' The Souls of Black Folk.
(b) Ralph Ellison's Invisible Man.
(c) The Autobiography of Malcolm X.
(d) Eldridge Cleaver's Soul on Ice.
15. How old was Peter Balakian when his aunts began taking him on the house-viewing expeditions?
Short Answer Questions
1. What fruit does the spice mahleb come from?
2. What singer did the man in the motorcycle jacket on the bus remind Peter of?
3. What color dress did Auntie Anna wear while delivering a talk at Balakian's college?
4. What was the lowest mark Balakian's female relatives gave to the houses they viewed during their Sunday drives?
5. In what year did Peter's grandmother die?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)