|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of the poetry journal Balakian founded in 1976?
(a) Crabtree Lane Review.
(b) Graham House Review.
(c) Surrealism Review.
(d) Oak Street Review.
2. Whose voice did Balakian describe as hitting him "as broken glass under a tire"?
(a) Bob Dylan.
(b) Roy Orbison.
(c) Jackie Wilson.
(d) Elvis Presley.
3. Where had Balakian learned the stories of the Bible?
(a) Within the family.
(b) Armenian church.
(c) Armenian Sunday school.
(d) From his Jewish friends.
4. For what did Balakian win a trophy at the end of his first year at the private high school?
(a) Most popular freshman.
(b) Most likely to succeed.
(c) English student of the year.
(d) Freshman athlete of the year.
5. In what year did the book open?
6. What instrument did Balakian's cousin Haigie play?
7. What anniversary was the Soviet Armenian Republic celebrating when Balakian's father wrote to his son at college urging him to learn more about the country?
8. In what year did Balakian's father save the man having the heart attack at a Columbia game?
9. Who was driving when the young men crashed the car in the middle of the night, in "Saturday Autumn II"?
(a) Ed Harrison.
(b) Tom Shadek.
(c) Bill Worth.
(d) Peter Balakian.
10. In what year was the Armenian empire at its height?
(a) 50 CE.
(b) 100 BCE.
(c) 25 BCE.
(d) 50 BCE.
11. Why was Balakian's father unable to serve during World War II?
(a) High blood pressure.
(b) Poor eyesight.
(c) Poor hearing.
(d) A limp.
12. Whom did Saroyan consider his "rival"?
13. What kind of trees do the silkworms come from?
14. What color were the kitchen cabinets in the Balakian's new home in Tenafly?
15. Where were Balakian and his father when the young woman spoke to the father about leaving her abusive husband?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the phrase, "Mairig Asdvadzadzeen," mean?
2. What baseball legend was Balakian reading about while he was sick with the measles?
3. In what year did Peter's grandmother die?
4. What did Aunt Nona major in while at Barnard?
5. Where did the Ottoman Turks originally come from?
This section contains 361 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)