|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part V: Bloody News, From Page 199 Through Page 269.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What California town was the Armenian-American writer William Saroyan from?
(a) San Francisco.
2. In what year was the Armenian empire at its height?
(a) 50 CE.
(b) 100 BCE.
(c) 25 BCE.
(d) 50 BCE.
3. Until what year were Christians forbidden to serve in the Ottoman army?
4. What advice did Balakian (at the urging of his aunt) reluctantly seek from William Saroyan?
(a) Recommendations for typewriters.
(b) Recommendations for poetry journals.
(c) Advice on breaking into poetry.
(d) Advice on purchasing a car.
5. What was the lowest mark Balakian's female relatives gave to the houses they viewed during their Sunday drives?
(b) Hum hum.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does odar mean?
2. What injury did Balakian sustain on the football field during August practice before his sophomore year?
3. Where did the Ottoman Turks originally come from?
4. What did Aunt Nona major in while at Barnard?
5. To which American writer did Balakian send his poems while at Bucknell College?
This section contains 175 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)