|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part VI: Commemoration.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At what age did Peter Balakian begin attending Columbia football games with his father?
2. How many Armenian soldiers defended their country when half a million Persian soldiers invaded in the fifth century?
3. What Ginsberg poem did Balakian's mother want several copies of?
(a) Hum Bomb.
(c) Please Master.
4. What is involved in the torture method called bastinado?
(a) Beating the soles of the feet.
(b) Pulling out fingernails.
(d) Hot pincers.
5. Why did Balakian not like the works of Anais Nin, who was friends with his aunt?
(a) He found her works too difficult to understand.
(b) He found her works too realistic.
(c) He found her works self-indulgent.
(d) He found her works too ironic.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was the Armenian King Leo V buried?
2. What job was Balakian working at when he began reading as much as he could about the Armenian genocide, in "Before the Nazis"?
3. How many Crusades passed through Byzantium on the way to the Holy Land?
4. In his discussion of his Aunt Anna's education, what did Balakian say was the percentage of female PhD's in the early 1940s?
5. In what year did Balakian and his father take a Greyhound bus across the United States?
This section contains 213 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)