|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens after Lyman fasts for three days?
2. What does Lyman hear in the background during his fast?
3. Whom does Lipsha agree to meet in Fargo?
4. Where does Lipsha go after his van won't start?
5. How does Zelda look back on taking Redford from his aunts?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Lipsha checks the Dumpster for his father?
2. What happens between Lipsha and the motel Bible in Chapter 14?
3. Why does Lipsha take up an interest in religion?
4. What advice does Albertine give Lipsha in Chapter 20?
5. What happens during Lipsha's dream that he is prison?
6. What makes Shawnee feel warm in her apartment at school?
7. What do Albertine and Zelda talk about when they are alone in Chapter 19?
8. What happens after Gerry leaves Lipsha on the side of the road?
9. Why does Shawnee say she has a strong feeling of Lipsha's presence in Chapter 26?
10. Describe the memory Shawnee has of her father during the powwow.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After returning home, Lipsha spends most of his time trying to win over Shawnee. Summarize their relationship and describe how the quest for this relationship hurts and helps Lipsha. How does Lipsha develop throughout the novel because of this relationship?
Essay Topic 2
Lipsha often reflects on his luck. How does luck appear in "The Bingo Palace" for Lipsha and the other characters? How do they feel about luck? To what do they compare it? What does luck mean in this novel and how is it compared to the natural world?
Essay Topic 3
Cars make frequent appearances in "The Bingo Palace." Describe each time a car is used in the plot. How do these cars reflect the characters involved? How do the cars add to the conflict of the novel? What do the cars represent?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)