|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Lyman call Shawnee in Chapter 26?
2. Where has Shawnee gone in Chapter 22?
3. Where is Xavier Toose's house?
4. Where does Lipsha go after his van won't start?
5. What is Shawnee making for Lipsha?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Lipsha during his spiritual fast?
2. What happens during Gerry's plane ride?
3. How does Albertine try to defend Shawnee and Redford in Chapter 19?
4. What vision does Lipsha see of Lyman's future bingo hall?
5. Describe the memory Shawnee has of her father during the powwow.
6. How does Shawnee act after coming home from the powwow?
7. Who does Gerry mostly think about in jail?
8. What happens between Lipsha and the motel Bible in Chapter 14?
9. What happens after Gerry leaves Lipsha on the side of the road?
10. How does Lulu prepare for the visit from the federal agents?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is a Native American vision quest? Describe the quest Lipsha and Lyman go on. How do each feel about the quest? What happens to each? How do these endings help to further describe Lipsha and Lyman in terms of Native American tradition?
Essay Topic 2
"The Bingo Palace" compares traditional life to life off the reservation. How is each described? What represents each style of living? How is Lipsha torn between the two? How does he feel that he can merge the two? By the end of the novel, do you think Lipsha is more or less traditional?
Essay Topic 3
How are strong female characters used in this novel? Which female characters do you consider strong, and why? How do these characters influence the people around them and the events that take place in this novel? Who has a positive impact, and why? Who has a negative impact, and why?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)