|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of storm makes driving difficult for Gerry in Chapter 24?
2. What did Zelda's father do to Lulu's house?
3. What is Shawnee making for Lipsha?
4. What does the police officer do to Mary Fred when he sees her in the shed?
5. When does Lipsha have a vision of his childhood in Chapter 20?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the police officer say to Mary Fred before he can see her in the shed?
2. How does Redford feel about staying with his aunts?
3. What does Zelda do when she thinks she is having a heart attack?
4. What happens during Gerry's plane ride?
5. What happens between Lipsha and the motel Bible in Chapter 14?
6. What do Albertine and Zelda talk about when they are alone in Chapter 19?
7. Why does Lyman dance during his fast?
8. What happens when Lipsha checks the Dumpster for his father?
9. What do Zelda and Xavier do when the meet in Chapter 23?
10. What happens when Gerry and Lipsha see a car left running?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lipsha often reflects on his luck. How does luck appear in "The Bingo Palace" for Lipsha and the other characters? How do they feel about luck? To what do they compare it? What does luck mean in this novel and how is it compared to the natural world?
Essay Topic 2
Lipsha admits to having a complicated relationship with Lyman. Summarize their relationship. What makes it increasingly complicated? What emotions/feelings define their relationship? How is their relationship one-sided at times? Why do they decide to go into business with each other? How do they help each other to change?
Essay Topic 3
How does Gerry Nanapush propel the plot development of "The Bingo Palace," especially for Lipsha? Why does the author use this character for this reason? Describe Gerry and his actions. What does this character represent? How is he a catalyst in the novel?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)