|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Shawnee making for Lipsha?
2. Where is Zelda when Albertine comes to visit in Chapter 19?
3. Who arrives at Redford's aunts' house with a police officer and social worker?
4. Why does Gerry drive the car off the side of the road?
5. What report does Shawnee hear on the radio?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes Shawnee feel warm in her apartment at school?
2. What does Zelda do when she thinks she is having a heart attack?
3. What happens between Lipsha and the motel Bible in Chapter 14?
4. Why does Lipsha take up an interest in religion?
5. How are Shawnee's performances at the powwow?
6. What happens when Lipsha checks the Dumpster for his father?
7. Where does Lyman find strength during his spiritual quest?
8. What happens to Lipsha during his spiritual fast?
9. What happens after Gerry leaves Lipsha on the side of the road?
10. What do Albertine and Zelda talk about when they are alone in Chapter 19?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several dreams in "The Bingo Palace." Choose three dreams and summarize them. Then compare and contrast the dreams. What are their purposes? Who is involved? What happens as a result of the dream?
Essay Topic 2
How are drums used in "The Bingo Palace"? What do drums signal? What do they represent? How do the characters in this novel respond to drums?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Lyman's bingo hall. What does the it represent to Lyman? Choose three other characters and describe what the bingo hall represents to them. How does the hall move the plot of this novel forward?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)