|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the other men laugh at Lipsha's spiritual journey?
2. Why do federal agents come to Lulu's house?
3. What does the skunk remind Lipsha?
4. What does Zelda realize about Xavier in Chapter 22?
5. What does Lipsha want to do with the baby in the back seat of the car?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Lipsha checks the Dumpster for his father?
2. What happens after Gerry leaves Lipsha on the side of the road?
3. What does the police officer say to Mary Fred before he can see her in the shed?
4. How does Redford feel about staying with his aunts?
5. Who does Gerry mostly think about in jail?
6. What does Zelda do when she thinks she is having a heart attack?
7. What happens to Lipsha during his spiritual fast?
8. Why does Shawnee say she has a strong feeling of Lipsha's presence in Chapter 26?
9. What vision does Lipsha see of Lyman's future bingo hall?
10. How does Shawnee act after coming home from the powwow?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lipsha often reflects on his luck. How does luck appear in "The Bingo Palace" for Lipsha and the other characters? How do they feel about luck? To what do they compare it? What does luck mean in this novel and how is it compared to the natural world?
Essay Topic 2
What is a Native American vision quest? Describe the quest Lipsha and Lyman go on. How do each feel about the quest? What happens to each? How do these endings help to further describe Lipsha and Lyman in terms of Native American tradition?
Essay Topic 3
Describe how Lipsha's attempt to return home to the reservation could be considered a failure. How could he be considered a success? What are his goals? What are the hopes of the people on the reservation? Do you think Lipsha finds value or danger in his trip home?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)