|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says, "There is so little time"?
2. Where do Lipsha and Lyman go to eat in Chapter 14?
3. What signals the beginning of Shawnee's final dance at the powwow?
4. How does Lulu act when questioned by the agents?
5. Shawnee says she feels like she never came down from what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What vision does Lipsha see of Lyman's future bingo hall?
2. What happens between Lipsha and the motel Bible in Chapter 14?
3. How are Shawnee's performances at the powwow?
4. What happens when Lipsha checks the Dumpster for his father?
5. What happens after Gerry leaves Lipsha on the side of the road?
6. How does Redford feel about staying with his aunts?
7. Describe the memory Shawnee has of her father during the powwow.
8. What happens to Lipsha during his spiritual fast?
9. What do Albertine and Zelda talk about when they are alone in Chapter 19?
10. What makes Shawnee feel warm in her apartment at school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are drums used in "The Bingo Palace"? What do drums signal? What do they represent? How do the characters in this novel respond to drums?
Essay Topic 2
The ancestors serve as narrators during parts of "The Bingo Palace." Who are the ancestors and why are they valued in reservation life? What judgments do the ancestors have? Why does the author sometimes use them as narrators? How do they add to the narration of this novel?
Essay Topic 3
Describe life on the reservation. Who enjoys this way of life, and why? Who wants to escape it, and why? What does the reservation represent to the characters of this novel? How does the author want us to feel about reservation life?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)