|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Gerry Nanapush make it through his time in prison?
2. What does Zelda realize about Xavier in Chapter 22?
3. Why won't Lipsha's van start after he leaves the arcade?
4. Where does Lipsha go after his van won't start?
5. Where is Zelda when Albertine comes to visit in Chapter 19?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Shawnee say she has a strong feeling of Lipsha's presence in Chapter 26?
2. What do Albertine and Zelda talk about when they are alone in Chapter 19?
3. What does Zelda do when she thinks she is having a heart attack?
4. What happens during Lipsha's dream that he is prison?
5. What do Zelda and Xavier do when the meet in Chapter 23?
6. How does Redford feel about staying with his aunts?
7. Describe the memory Shawnee has of her father during the powwow.
8. What vision does Lipsha see of Lyman's future bingo hall?
9. What does the police officer say to Mary Fred before he can see her in the shed?
10. Who does Gerry mostly think about in jail?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who seems to be more powerful in this novel, men or women? Use examples from the text to support your opinions. Be sure to describe power.
Essay Topic 2
What does money mean to the people on the reservation? How does money affect Lipsha? How does it affect Lipsha's relationships with people? How does Lipsha use money? What is the author trying to say about money and traditional Native American life?
Essay Topic 3
After returning home, Lipsha spends most of his time trying to win over Shawnee. Summarize their relationship and describe how the quest for this relationship hurts and helps Lipsha. How does Lipsha develop throughout the novel because of this relationship?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)