|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Lyman call Shawnee in Chapter 26?
2. What does Lipsha ask Shawnee in Chapter 17?
3. What does Lulu hold as she gets into the police car?
4. Who was Gerry's wife?
5. To where is Gerry transferred?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Zelda do when she thinks she is having a heart attack?
2. What vision does Lipsha see of Lyman's future bingo hall?
3. Why does Lyman dance during his fast?
4. How does Shawnee act after coming home from the powwow?
5. What happens during Lipsha's dream that he is prison?
6. How does Redford feel about staying with his aunts?
7. What happens when Gerry and Lipsha see a car left running?
8. How are Shawnee's performances at the powwow?
9. What happens when Lipsha checks the Dumpster for his father?
10. How does Albertine try to defend Shawnee and Redford in Chapter 19?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is a Native American vision quest? Describe the quest Lipsha and Lyman go on. How do each feel about the quest? What happens to each? How do these endings help to further describe Lipsha and Lyman in terms of Native American tradition?
Essay Topic 2
Lipsha often reflects on his luck. How does luck appear in "The Bingo Palace" for Lipsha and the other characters? How do they feel about luck? To what do they compare it? What does luck mean in this novel and how is it compared to the natural world?
Essay Topic 3
Describe how Lipsha's attempt to return home to the reservation could be considered a failure. How could he be considered a success? What are his goals? What are the hopes of the people on the reservation? Do you think Lipsha finds value or danger in his trip home?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)