|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Lipsha and Lyman go to eat in Chapter 14?
2. Why won't Lipsha's van start after he leaves the arcade?
3. Lipsha confesses to missing whom during his spiritual trip at Xavier's?
4. How is Shawnee's participation at the powwow?
5. Henry used to do what after winning a competition?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes Shawnee feel warm in her apartment at school?
2. How does Redford feel about staying with his aunts?
3. What happens when Lipsha checks the Dumpster for his father?
4. Why does Shawnee say she has a strong feeling of Lipsha's presence in Chapter 26?
5. What do Albertine and Zelda talk about when they are alone in Chapter 19?
6. What happens between Lipsha and the motel Bible in Chapter 14?
7. What happens when Lulu is arrested?
8. How does Shawnee act after coming home from the powwow?
9. What happens after Gerry leaves Lipsha on the side of the road?
10. What does the police officer say to Mary Fred before he can see her in the shed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several dreams in "The Bingo Palace." Choose three dreams and summarize them. Then compare and contrast the dreams. What are their purposes? Who is involved? What happens as a result of the dream?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Lipsha's relationship with his medicine. How refined is it? How and when does he use it? Why does Lipsha want to strengthen his power? What does medicine mean to the people of the reservation? What does it mean when Lipsha misuses it or does not use it at all? How does Lipsha's medicine define him?
Essay Topic 3
How do family relationships complicate Lipsha's life? Describe some of his family relationships and the struggles they have together. How does Lipsha address these struggles? How do the struggles impact the characters and the plot? What is the author's commentary on family?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)