|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Lyman's slot machine dream, whose face gives him the jackpot?
2. How does Lulu bet in bingo?
3. What type of documentary does Albertine watch the night she can't fall asleep?
4. What does Lipsha do for a living?
5. What does Albertine say she sought in school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes Lipsha feel jealous when he visits Shawnee in Chapter 9?
2. What does Albertine know about the name Four Soul?
3. Why does Albertine take part in the naming ceremony?
4. Why is Shawnee conflicted over her feelings for Lipsha?
5. What happens when Lipsha admits that he needs love medicine?
6. What role does Fleur play in Lyman's dream?
7. What does Jewett assume about Fleur's land?
8. What is Lyman's new business plan?
9. What does Marie notice about Lipsha's appearance at the beginning of Chapter 4?
10. Why does the reservation community have high hopes for Lipsha?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lipsha admits to having a complicated relationship with Lyman. Summarize their relationship. What makes it increasingly complicated? What emotions/feelings define their relationship? How is their relationship one-sided at times? Why do they decide to go into business with each other? How do they help each other to change?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Lyman's bingo hall. What does the it represent to Lyman? Choose three other characters and describe what the bingo hall represents to them. How does the hall move the plot of this novel forward?
Essay Topic 3
What does money mean to the people on the reservation? How does money affect Lipsha? How does it affect Lipsha's relationships with people? How does Lipsha use money? What is the author trying to say about money and traditional Native American life?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)