|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Lyman go in his dream after leaving the slot machine?
2. What does Lipsha do for a living?
3. What is Shawnee Ray Toose also known as?
4. What does Zelda give Lipsha as a gift?
5. What does Lipsha win while playing bingo in Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Shawnee plan her move out of Zelda's house?
2. What does Marie notice about Lipsha's appearance at the beginning of Chapter 4?
3. What role does Fleur play in Lyman's dream?
4. What makes Lipsha feel jealous when he visits Shawnee in Chapter 9?
5. What happens when Lipsha admits that he needs love medicine?
6. Why is Shawnee conflicted over her feelings for Lipsha?
7. Why does the reservation community have high hopes for Lipsha?
8. Why does June's mother take her anger out on June in Chapter 6?
9. What does Lipsha discover about Zelda's plans for him and Shawnee during their date?
10. What does Jewett assume about Fleur's land?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are drums used in "The Bingo Palace"? What do drums signal? What do they represent? How do the characters in this novel respond to drums?
Essay Topic 2
Lipsha often reflects on his luck. How does luck appear in "The Bingo Palace" for Lipsha and the other characters? How do they feel about luck? To what do they compare it? What does luck mean in this novel and how is it compared to the natural world?
Essay Topic 3
After returning home, Lipsha spends most of his time trying to win over Shawnee. Summarize their relationship and describe how the quest for this relationship hurts and helps Lipsha. How does Lipsha develop throughout the novel because of this relationship?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)