|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lipsha do for a living?
2. Why is Lyman angry with Lipsha when he visits Shawnee?
3. What does Lyman spend the entire night before his business meeting doing?
4. To whom does Lulu mail the "wanted" poster?
5. What does Zelda tell Lipsha about Fleur?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Lyman dance during his fast?
2. What happens between Lipsha and the motel Bible in Chapter 14?
3. Where does Lyman find strength during his spiritual quest?
4. What do Zelda and Xavier do when the meet in Chapter 23?
5. How do Shawnee's parents act at the gathering?
6. Why does June promise herself that no one will ever hold her again?
7. What happens to Lipsha during his spiritual fast?
8. What happens when Lulu is arrested?
9. How does Lyman try to distract himself from the attraction of gambling?
10. How does Shawnee act after coming home from the powwow?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does money mean to the people on the reservation? How does money affect Lipsha? How does it affect Lipsha's relationships with people? How does Lipsha use money? What is the author trying to say about money and traditional Native American life?
Essay Topic 2
Lipsha often reflects on his luck. How does luck appear in "The Bingo Palace" for Lipsha and the other characters? How do they feel about luck? To what do they compare it? What does luck mean in this novel and how is it compared to the natural world?
Essay Topic 3
How are strong female characters used in this novel? Which female characters do you consider strong, and why? How do these characters influence the people around them and the events that take place in this novel? Who has a positive impact, and why? Who has a negative impact, and why?
This section contains 1,464 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)