|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Lyman go in his dream after leaving the slot machine?
2. What does Lyman spend the entire night before his business meeting doing?
3. Where does Lipsha live?
4. On whom does Lipsha focus all his attention at the gathering in Chapter 2?
5. How does Shawnee plan to get money to move out?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Albertine take part in the naming ceremony?
2. What happens when Lipsha feels that he sees his dead mother?
3. What does Lipsha get a tattoo of and why?
4. What does Jewett assume about Fleur's land?
5. What happened to Xavier the night he proposed to Zelda?
6. What does Lyman do after gambling away his money?
7. How does Lyman try to distract himself from the attraction of gambling?
8. What happened when Lipsha tried to heal Russell Kashpaw?
9. Why does June's mother take her anger out on June in Chapter 6?
10. What happens when Lipsha finds Fleur at the church in Chapter 11?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are strong female characters used in this novel? Which female characters do you consider strong, and why? How do these characters influence the people around them and the events that take place in this novel? Who has a positive impact, and why? Who has a negative impact, and why?
Essay Topic 2
Dancing is important in "The Bingo Palace". Reflect on four times that dancing is used in the novel. Describe the dance: Who is dancing? Where are they dancing? Why are they dancing? What does dancing represent in this novel and what does it do for the characters who dance?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Lyman's bingo hall. What does the it represent to Lyman? Choose three other characters and describe what the bingo hall represents to them. How does the hall move the plot of this novel forward?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)