|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Lipsha turn for guidance with his medicinal abilities?
2. On whom does Lipsha focus all his attention at the gathering in Chapter 2?
3. Where does the narrator assume Shawnee's sisters are at the gathering?
4. In Lyman's slot machine dream, whose face gives him the jackpot?
5. How does the slot machine treat Lyman in his dream?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Lipsha dislike his job?
2. Why does Lulu go to the post office?
3. What do Albertine and Zelda talk about when they are alone in Chapter 19?
4. Where does Lyman find strength during his spiritual quest?
5. How is June Morrissey described?
6. What happens when Lipsha finds Fleur at the church in Chapter 11?
7. What happens when Lipsha checks the Dumpster for his father?
8. Why does June promise herself that no one will ever hold her again?
9. How does Lulu prepare for the visit from the federal agents?
10. Who is across the river where Fleur is going?
Essay Topic 1
Lipsha often reflects on his luck. How does luck appear in "The Bingo Palace" for Lipsha and the other characters? How do they feel about luck? To what do they compare it? What does luck mean in this novel and how is it compared to the natural world?
Essay Topic 2
Dancing is important in "The Bingo Palace". Reflect on four times that dancing is used in the novel. Describe the dance: Who is dancing? Where are they dancing? Why are they dancing? What does dancing represent in this novel and what does it do for the characters who dance?
Essay Topic 3
What is a Native American vision quest? Describe the quest Lipsha and Lyman go on. How do each feel about the quest? What happens to each? How do these endings help to further describe Lipsha and Lyman in terms of Native American tradition?
This section contains 1,444 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)