|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Lyman angry with Lipsha when he visits Shawnee?
2. How does Zelda respond to the news that Shawnee wants to move?
3. Where do June and her brother usually sleep when their mother's boyfriend is over?
4. What job does Lipsha take in Chapter 5?
5. Where does the narrator assume Shawnee's sisters are at the gathering?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when Lipsha tried to heal Russell Kashpaw?
2. How does Shawnee plan her move out of Zelda's house?
3. What do the people of the reservation assume about the young white boy with Fleur?
4. What does Lipsha get a tattoo of and why?
5. What does Lipsha discover about Zelda's plans for him and Shawnee during their date?
6. Why does Lipsha dislike his job?
7. How do Shawnee's parents act at the gathering?
8. What role does Fleur play in Lyman's dream?
9. What does Lyman do after gambling away his money?
10. How is Lipsha's relationship with Lyman complicated?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how Lipsha's attempt to return home to the reservation could be considered a failure. How could he be considered a success? What are his goals? What are the hopes of the people on the reservation? Do you think Lipsha finds value or danger in his trip home?
Essay Topic 2
The ancestors serve as narrators during parts of "The Bingo Palace." Who are the ancestors and why are they valued in reservation life? What judgments do the ancestors have? Why does the author sometimes use them as narrators? How do they add to the narration of this novel?
Essay Topic 3
What does money mean to the people on the reservation? How does money affect Lipsha? How does it affect Lipsha's relationships with people? How does Lipsha use money? What is the author trying to say about money and traditional Native American life?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)