|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Lulu's son?
2. What does Zelda give Lipsha as a gift?
3. Who rescued Lipsha as a child?
4. Whom does Lipsha wish he could carry himself like?
5. How does Fleur outsmart Jewett?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the reservation community have high hopes for Lipsha?
2. How is June Morrissey described?
3. Why does Albertine shout at the TV set while watching the documentary?
4. What happens when Lipsha finds Fleur at the church in Chapter 11?
5. What happened when Lipsha tried to heal Russell Kashpaw?
6. How does Shawnee plan her move out of Zelda's house?
7. How is Lipsha's relationship with Lyman complicated?
8. Why does Albertine take part in the naming ceremony?
9. What happens when Lipsha admits that he needs love medicine?
10. Why does June's mother take her anger out on June in Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Lipsha's relationship with his medicine. How refined is it? How and when does he use it? Why does Lipsha want to strengthen his power? What does medicine mean to the people of the reservation? What does it mean when Lipsha misuses it or does not use it at all? How does Lipsha's medicine define him?
Essay Topic 2
Describe how animal imagery is used in this novel. Select four examples of animal imagery and explain the following: Who is represented, what is represented, how tradition is reflected and the impact on the characters/plot of "The Bingo Palace."
Essay Topic 3
Who seems to be more powerful in this novel, men or women? Use examples from the text to support your opinions. Be sure to describe power.
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)