|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Lipsha go after giving up on his ID forms?
2. What does Lipsha win while playing bingo in Chapter 7?
3. How does the slot machine treat Lyman in his dream?
4. When Lyman wakes he can't tell if it was a dream or if he was where?
5. What does Lipsha fear as he walks on ancestral grounds in Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lyman do after gambling away his money?
2. How does Redford feel about staying with his aunts?
3. What happens between Lipsha and the motel Bible in Chapter 14?
4. What does Jewett assume about Fleur's land?
5. Why does Albertine shout at the TV set while watching the documentary?
6. What does Zelda do when she thinks she is having a heart attack?
7. Why does Albertine take part in the naming ceremony?
8. How do the people on the reservation know that Fleur is watching them?
9. Why does Lyman dance during his fast?
10. What do the people of the reservation assume about the young white boy with Fleur?
Essay Topic 1
Who seems to be more powerful in this novel, men or women? Use examples from the text to support your opinions. Be sure to describe power.
Essay Topic 2
Lipsha admits to having a complicated relationship with Lyman. Summarize their relationship. What makes it increasingly complicated? What emotions/feelings define their relationship? How is their relationship one-sided at times? Why do they decide to go into business with each other? How do they help each other to change?
Essay Topic 3
Dancing is important in "The Bingo Palace". Reflect on four times that dancing is used in the novel. Describe the dance: Who is dancing? Where are they dancing? Why are they dancing? What does dancing represent in this novel and what does it do for the characters who dance?
This section contains 1,500 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)