|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the narrator assume Shawnee's sisters are at the gathering?
2. What ancestor's name does Albertine take on at the naming ceremony?
3. To whom does Lipsha turn for guidance with his medicinal abilities?
4. What does Lipsha win while playing bingo in Chapter 7?
5. What does Lipsha say brought him back to the reservation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lipsha discover about Zelda's plans for him and Shawnee during their date?
2. What is Lyman's new business plan?
3. What does Lyman do after gambling away his money?
4. Why does Albertine shout at the TV set while watching the documentary?
5. How does Shawnee plan her move out of Zelda's house?
6. Why does June promise herself that no one will ever hold her again?
7. Why does Albertine take part in the naming ceremony?
8. Why is Shawnee conflicted over her feelings for Lipsha?
9. Where does Lyman feel he lost his "true face"?
10. Why does Lulu go to the post office?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dancing is important in "The Bingo Palace". Reflect on four times that dancing is used in the novel. Describe the dance: Who is dancing? Where are they dancing? Why are they dancing? What does dancing represent in this novel and what does it do for the characters who dance?
Essay Topic 2
There are several dreams in "The Bingo Palace." Choose three dreams and summarize them. Then compare and contrast the dreams. What are their purposes? Who is involved? What happens as a result of the dream?
Essay Topic 3
How does Gerry Nanapush propel the plot development of "The Bingo Palace," especially for Lipsha? Why does the author use this character for this reason? Describe Gerry and his actions. What does this character represent? How is he a catalyst in the novel?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)