|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What ancestor's name does Albertine take on at the naming ceremony?
2. What does June eat out of the oven before walking to the school bus?
3. What part of Albertine's bloodline does she search through in Chapter 3?
4. What does Marie offer Lipsha as his inheritance?
5. What does Lyman ask Lipsha to do for his dream bingo hall?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Lulu go to the post office?
2. How does Lipsha feel about Shawnee at the gathering?
3. What does Albertine know about the name Four Soul?
4. What happened when Lipsha tried to heal Russell Kashpaw?
5. What does Marie notice about Lipsha's appearance at the beginning of Chapter 4?
6. What happens when Lipsha finds Fleur at the church in Chapter 11?
7. Where does Lyman feel he lost his "true face"?
8. Why does Lipsha dislike his job?
9. What do the people of the reservation assume about the young white boy with Fleur?
10. Why does the reservation community have high hopes for Lipsha?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lipsha admits to having a complicated relationship with Lyman. Summarize their relationship. What makes it increasingly complicated? What emotions/feelings define their relationship? How is their relationship one-sided at times? Why do they decide to go into business with each other? How do they help each other to change?
Essay Topic 2
Lipsha often reflects on his luck. How does luck appear in "The Bingo Palace" for Lipsha and the other characters? How do they feel about luck? To what do they compare it? What does luck mean in this novel and how is it compared to the natural world?
Essay Topic 3
What is a Native American vision quest? Describe the quest Lipsha and Lyman go on. How do each feel about the quest? What happens to each? How do these endings help to further describe Lipsha and Lyman in terms of Native American tradition?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)