|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is said to have a "foot on death's row"?
2. Whom does Shawnee call for help when she is detained at the Canadian border?
3. What does Lipsha win while playing bingo in Chapter 7?
4. What job does Jewett Parker Tatro have?
5. How does Zelda respond to the news that Shawnee wants to move?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes Lipsha feel jealous when he visits Shawnee in Chapter 9?
2. What does Lipsha discover about Zelda's plans for him and Shawnee during their date?
3. What does Lyman do after gambling away his money?
4. Why does June promise herself that no one will ever hold her again?
5. How does Lipsha feel that Zelda impacts his life?
6. Why is Shawnee conflicted over her feelings for Lipsha?
7. Why does Lipsha dislike his job?
8. What catches Albertine's attention when she is watching a documentary?
9. How do Shawnee's parents act at the gathering?
10. What happens when Lipsha finds Fleur at the church in Chapter 11?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several dreams in "The Bingo Palace." Choose three dreams and summarize them. Then compare and contrast the dreams. What are their purposes? Who is involved? What happens as a result of the dream?
Essay Topic 2
What is a Native American vision quest? Describe the quest Lipsha and Lyman go on. How do each feel about the quest? What happens to each? How do these endings help to further describe Lipsha and Lyman in terms of Native American tradition?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Lyman's bingo hall. What does the it represent to Lyman? Choose three other characters and describe what the bingo hall represents to them. How does the hall move the plot of this novel forward?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)