Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Lipsha go after giving up on his ID forms?
2. What does Lipsha win while playing bingo in Chapter 7?
3. How does the slot machine treat Lyman in his dream?
4. When Lyman wakes he can't tell if it was a dream or if he was where?
5. What does Lipsha fear as he walks on ancestral grounds in Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lyman do after gambling away his money?
2. How does Redford feel about staying with his aunts?
3. What happens between Lipsha and the motel Bible in Chapter 14?
4. What does Jewett assume about Fleur's land?
5. Why does Albertine shout at the TV set while watching the documentary?
6. What does Zelda do when she thinks she is having a heart attack?
7. Why does Albertine take part in the naming ceremony?
8. How do the people on the reservation know that Fleur is watching them?
9. Why does Lyman dance during his fast?
10. What do the people of the reservation assume about the young white boy with Fleur?
Essay Topic 1
The ancestors serve as narrators during parts of "The Bingo Palace." Who are the ancestors and why are they valued in reservation life? What judgments do the ancestors have? Why does the author sometimes use them as narrators? How do they add to the narration of this novel?
Essay Topic 2
Lipsha often reflects on his luck. How does luck appear in "The Bingo Palace" for Lipsha and the other characters? How do they feel about luck? To what do they compare it? What does luck mean in this novel and how is it compared to the natural world?
Essay Topic 3
Describe life on the reservation. Who enjoys this way of life, and why? Who wants to escape it, and why? What does the reservation represent to the characters of this novel? How does the author want us to feel about reservation life?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)