|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Albertine say her mother was known for?
2. Who is said to have a "foot on death's row"?
3. How does Lulu bet in bingo?
4. What do June's mother and her boyfriend do when they tell June there won't be any more running away?
5. What does Lipsha realize when he attends a social gathering at the end of Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to Xavier the night he proposed to Zelda?
2. Why does Albertine shout at the TV set while watching the documentary?
3. What does Jewett assume about Fleur's land?
4. What role does Fleur play in Lyman's dream?
5. Why does June promise herself that no one will ever hold her again?
6. What happens when Lipsha feels that he sees his dead mother?
7. Why does June's mother take her anger out on June in Chapter 6?
8. Why is Shawnee conflicted over her feelings for Lipsha?
9. What happened when Lipsha tried to heal Russell Kashpaw?
10. What catches Albertine's attention when she is watching a documentary?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The ancestors serve as narrators during parts of "The Bingo Palace." Who are the ancestors and why are they valued in reservation life? What judgments do the ancestors have? Why does the author sometimes use them as narrators? How do they add to the narration of this novel?
Essay Topic 2
What is a Native American vision quest? Describe the quest Lipsha and Lyman go on. How do each feel about the quest? What happens to each? How do these endings help to further describe Lipsha and Lyman in terms of Native American tradition?
Essay Topic 3
"The Bingo Palace" compares traditional life to life off the reservation. How is each described? What represents each style of living? How is Lipsha torn between the two? How does he feel that he can merge the two? By the end of the novel, do you think Lipsha is more or less traditional?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)