|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Lulu mail the "wanted" poster?
2. What does Marie offer Lipsha as his inheritance?
3. Who says: "I don't hate the old lady. I understand her"?
4. Where was Lipsha left by his mother?
5. How does Shawnee plan to get money to move out?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Lulu go to the post office?
2. Why does Shawnee say she has a strong feeling of Lipsha's presence in Chapter 26?
3. How does Albertine try to defend Shawnee and Redford in Chapter 19?
4. What makes Shawnee feel warm in her apartment at school?
5. What do Zelda and Xavier do when the meet in Chapter 23?
6. How does Lyman try to distract himself from the attraction of gambling?
7. What is Lyman's new business plan?
8. Why does Lipsha take up an interest in religion?
9. How does Shawnee plan her move out of Zelda's house?
10. What role does Fleur play in Lyman's dream?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who seems to be more powerful in this novel, men or women? Use examples from the text to support your opinions. Be sure to describe power.
Essay Topic 2
Describe how animal imagery is used in this novel. Select four examples of animal imagery and explain the following: Who is represented, what is represented, how tradition is reflected and the impact on the characters/plot of "The Bingo Palace."
Essay Topic 3
Cars make frequent appearances in "The Bingo Palace." Describe each time a car is used in the plot. How do these cars reflect the characters involved? How do the cars add to the conflict of the novel? What do the cars represent?
This section contains 1,448 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)