|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Lipsha drive in Chapter 1?
2. What does Lipsha call the money he makes off of June's bingo tickets?
3. How does Shawnee plan to get money to move out?
4. Where does Lipsha go after giving up on his ID forms?
5. What does Shawnee admit to herself in Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. What catches Albertine's attention when she is watching a documentary?
2. Why is Shawnee conflicted over her feelings for Lipsha?
3. What happens when Lipsha admits that he needs love medicine?
4. What happened when Lipsha tried to heal Russell Kashpaw?
5. Why does Albertine take part in the naming ceremony?
6. What does Jewett assume about Fleur's land?
7. How does Lipsha feel about Shawnee at the gathering?
8. How does Lipsha feel that Zelda impacts his life?
9. Why does Albertine shout at the TV set while watching the documentary?
10. What does Albertine know about the name Four Soul?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lipsha admits to having a complicated relationship with Lyman. Summarize their relationship. What makes it increasingly complicated? What emotions/feelings define their relationship? How is their relationship one-sided at times? Why do they decide to go into business with each other? How do they help each other to change?
Essay Topic 2
"The Bingo Palace" compares traditional life to life off the reservation. How is each described? What represents each style of living? How is Lipsha torn between the two? How does he feel that he can merge the two? By the end of the novel, do you think Lipsha is more or less traditional?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Lipsha's relationship with his medicine. How refined is it? How and when does he use it? Why does Lipsha want to strengthen his power? What does medicine mean to the people of the reservation? What does it mean when Lipsha misuses it or does not use it at all? How does Lipsha's medicine define him?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)