|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Lipsha describe his aunt Zelda?
2. How does Fleur outsmart Jewett?
3. What does Zelda say she knew before the dance?
4. What does Lipsha realize when he attends a social gathering at the end of Chapter 1?
5. How does the slot machine treat Lyman in his dream?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lyman try to distract himself from the attraction of gambling?
2. Where does Lyman feel he lost his "true face"?
3. What does Zelda do when she thinks she is having a heart attack?
4. What is Lyman's new business plan?
5. Who is across the river where Fleur is going?
6. What happens during Lipsha's dream that he is prison?
7. What happened when Lipsha tried to heal Russell Kashpaw?
8. What happens when Lipsha feels that he sees his dead mother?
9. What happens after Gerry leaves Lipsha on the side of the road?
10. What do Zelda and Xavier do when the meet in Chapter 23?
Essay Topic 1
Describe Lyman's bingo hall. What does the it represent to Lyman? Choose three other characters and describe what the bingo hall represents to them. How does the hall move the plot of this novel forward?
Essay Topic 2
What does money mean to the people on the reservation? How does money affect Lipsha? How does it affect Lipsha's relationships with people? How does Lipsha use money? What is the author trying to say about money and traditional Native American life?
Essay Topic 3
How does Gerry Nanapush propel the plot development of "The Bingo Palace," especially for Lipsha? Why does the author use this character for this reason? Describe Gerry and his actions. What does this character represent? How is he a catalyst in the novel?
This section contains 1,483 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)