|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Lyman's slot machine dream, whose face gives him the jackpot?
2. Why do Lipsha and Shawnee get stopped at the Canadian border?
3. On whom does Lipsha focus all his attention at the gathering in Chapter 2?
4. By what other name is Fleur known in the community?
5. Where does the narrator assume Shawnee's sisters are at the gathering?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Lipsha finds Fleur at the church in Chapter 11?
2. What does Lipsha discover about Zelda's plans for him and Shawnee during their date?
3. What happened to Xavier the night he proposed to Zelda?
4. What catches Albertine's attention when she is watching a documentary?
5. What does Albertine know about the name Four Soul?
6. What happens when Lipsha admits that he needs love medicine?
7. How does Lyman try to distract himself from the attraction of gambling?
8. Why does Lipsha dislike his job?
9. What does Lyman do after gambling away his money?
10. What does Lipsha get a tattoo of and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Cars make frequent appearances in "The Bingo Palace." Describe each time a car is used in the plot. How do these cars reflect the characters involved? How do the cars add to the conflict of the novel? What do the cars represent?
Essay Topic 2
What does money mean to the people on the reservation? How does money affect Lipsha? How does it affect Lipsha's relationships with people? How does Lipsha use money? What is the author trying to say about money and traditional Native American life?
Essay Topic 3
How do family relationships complicate Lipsha's life? Describe some of his family relationships and the struggles they have together. How does Lipsha address these struggles? How do the struggles impact the characters and the plot? What is the author's commentary on family?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)