|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Lyman's slot machine dream, whose face gives him the jackpot?
2. To whom does Lipsha turn for guidance with his medicinal abilities?
3. What does Lyman ask Lipsha to do for his dream bingo hall?
4. Why does Lipsha give Shawnee money at the hotel?
5. Why does Lyman feel he should have Lipsha's pipe?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lipsha get a tattoo of and why?
2. Why does Lipsha dislike his job?
3. Where does Lyman feel he lost his "true face"?
4. Why does Albertine take part in the naming ceremony?
5. What happens when Lipsha admits that he needs love medicine?
6. What does Marie notice about Lipsha's appearance at the beginning of Chapter 4?
7. How does Lipsha feel that Zelda impacts his life?
8. What does Jewett assume about Fleur's land?
9. Why does Albertine shout at the TV set while watching the documentary?
10. Why does the reservation community have high hopes for Lipsha?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lipsha admits to having a complicated relationship with Lyman. Summarize their relationship. What makes it increasingly complicated? What emotions/feelings define their relationship? How is their relationship one-sided at times? Why do they decide to go into business with each other? How do they help each other to change?
Essay Topic 2
Who seems to be more powerful in this novel, men or women? Use examples from the text to support your opinions. Be sure to describe power.
Essay Topic 3
Dancing is important in "The Bingo Palace". Reflect on four times that dancing is used in the novel. Describe the dance: Who is dancing? Where are they dancing? Why are they dancing? What does dancing represent in this novel and what does it do for the characters who dance?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)