|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lyman spend the entire night before his business meeting doing?
2. What does Albertine wear at the gathering?
3. Whom does Lipsha wish he could carry himself like?
4. From whom does Lipsha feels he needs a blessing in order to have a union with Shawnee?
5. What does the narrator say Albertine did not escape?
Short Essay Questions
1. What catches Albertine's attention when she is watching a documentary?
2. What makes Lipsha feel jealous when he visits Shawnee in Chapter 9?
3. What does Lyman do after gambling away his money?
4. How does Shawnee plan her move out of Zelda's house?
5. Why does June's mother take her anger out on June in Chapter 6?
6. How is June Morrissey described?
7. What does Jewett assume about Fleur's land?
8. What does Marie notice about Lipsha's appearance at the beginning of Chapter 4?
9. What happened to Xavier the night he proposed to Zelda?
10. Why does Lipsha dislike his job?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Gerry Nanapush propel the plot development of "The Bingo Palace," especially for Lipsha? Why does the author use this character for this reason? Describe Gerry and his actions. What does this character represent? How is he a catalyst in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
How are strong female characters used in this novel? Which female characters do you consider strong, and why? How do these characters influence the people around them and the events that take place in this novel? Who has a positive impact, and why? Who has a negative impact, and why?
Essay Topic 3
Cars make frequent appearances in "The Bingo Palace." Describe each time a car is used in the plot. How do these cars reflect the characters involved? How do the cars add to the conflict of the novel? What do the cars represent?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)