|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Albertine say she sought in school?
2. What job does Lipsha take in Chapter 5?
3. Who took Shawnee and Redford in?
4. What does Lipsha want to tell the officer about the pipe he finds?
5. What financial advice does Lyman give Lipsha?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Lipsha finds Fleur at the church in Chapter 11?
2. What is Lyman's new business plan?
3. How does Lyman try to distract himself from the attraction of gambling?
4. What does Lipsha discover about Zelda's plans for him and Shawnee during their date?
5. How does Shawnee plan her move out of Zelda's house?
6. What do the people of the reservation assume about the young white boy with Fleur?
7. Why does the reservation community have high hopes for Lipsha?
8. How is Lipsha's relationship with Lyman complicated?
9. Why does June's mother take her anger out on June in Chapter 6?
10. What role does Fleur play in Lyman's dream?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The ancestors serve as narrators during parts of "The Bingo Palace." Who are the ancestors and why are they valued in reservation life? What judgments do the ancestors have? Why does the author sometimes use them as narrators? How do they add to the narration of this novel?
Essay Topic 2
What does money mean to the people on the reservation? How does money affect Lipsha? How does it affect Lipsha's relationships with people? How does Lipsha use money? What is the author trying to say about money and traditional Native American life?
Essay Topic 3
How does Gerry Nanapush propel the plot development of "The Bingo Palace," especially for Lipsha? Why does the author use this character for this reason? Describe Gerry and his actions. What does this character represent? How is he a catalyst in the novel?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)