|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Albertine's mother?
2. What does Marie offer Lipsha as his inheritance?
3. Where does June go to avoid her angry mother?
4. Whom does Shawnee call for help when she is detained at the Canadian border?
5. What does Albertine wear at the gathering?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to Xavier the night he proposed to Zelda?
2. Why does Albertine shout at the TV set while watching the documentary?
3. Why is Shawnee conflicted over her feelings for Lipsha?
4. What makes Lipsha feel jealous when he visits Shawnee in Chapter 9?
5. How does Shawnee plan her move out of Zelda's house?
6. How is Lipsha's relationship with Lyman complicated?
7. What role does Fleur play in Lyman's dream?
8. What happened when Lipsha tried to heal Russell Kashpaw?
9. What happens when Lipsha feels that he sees his dead mother?
10. Why does the reservation community have high hopes for Lipsha?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"The Bingo Palace" compares traditional life to life off the reservation. How is each described? What represents each style of living? How is Lipsha torn between the two? How does he feel that he can merge the two? By the end of the novel, do you think Lipsha is more or less traditional?
Essay Topic 2
The ancestors serve as narrators during parts of "The Bingo Palace." Who are the ancestors and why are they valued in reservation life? What judgments do the ancestors have? Why does the author sometimes use them as narrators? How do they add to the narration of this novel?
Essay Topic 3
How does Gerry Nanapush propel the plot development of "The Bingo Palace," especially for Lipsha? Why does the author use this character for this reason? Describe Gerry and his actions. What does this character represent? How is he a catalyst in the novel?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)