|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Marlowe discover tracks?
2. What is the man doing in the back room?
3. Where is the woman hiding?
4. What do Mars' men take from Marlowe?
5. Who does Marlowe think is inside the car?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Marlowe report to the Sternwood's butler?
2. How does Marlowe show his intelligence in chapter 20?
3. What suggestion are there that Geiger's store maybe a smut shop?
4. What two important people do Marlowe and Ohls meet in chapter 18?
5. How do Art and Canino beat up Marlowe?
6. What does Marlowe see when he heads outside?
7. How does Marlowe make the woman in Geiger's store nervous?
8. What does Brody admit to Marlowe in chapter 16?
9. What is Vivian's alibi?
10. What does Marlowe see inside the house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Big Sleep is known as hardboiled crime fiction.
1) What are the conventions of the genre in terms of character, language and plot?
2) In what way did Big Sleep help to set the template for similar novels? Do modern novels still use the ideas used in Big Sleep?
Essay Topic 2
Examine violence in the novel:
1) How do the characters in the novel view violence? Are there are character that would think twice before shooting or hitting someone?
2) Do the characters need to be violent to cope in the world that Chandler portrays?
3) How do the students think the public reacted to the novel's violence when it was first published? How would the public react to such a book today?
Essay Topic 3
What is Chandler's view on homosexuality? How does he communicate these views through Marlowe? Why do the students think that Chandler links his homosexual characters to pornography and murder?How would the majority of readers in the thirties have reacted to a homosexual character?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)