|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color hair does Eddie Mars have?
2. Where does Eddie find a patch of blood?
3. what does Mars order his men to do?
4. How is the Kid linked to Geiger?
5. where does Marlowe take the killer?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the Sternwood's butler happy in chapter 21?
2. What does Ohl's say in his phone conversation to Marlowe?
3. Describe the tussle at the beginning of chapter 23.
4. What does Marlowe discover from the dead body?
5. What does Marlowe report to the Sternwood's butler?
6. Describe the fight that takes place in chapter 15?
7. What does Marlowe hear when he eavesdrops on the conversation in chapter 26?
8. What two important people do Marlowe and Ohls meet in chapter 18?
9. Why did the Kid move Geiger into his bedroom?
10. What does Carmen remember from the night before?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Big Sleep is a famous book which has greatly influenced modern literature. Choose a book written after the novel that you think was influenced by it and discuss there similarities in terms of:
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Chandler's life. In what way do you think his life and personality is reflected in the book?
Essay Topic 3
The Big Sleep is written in the first person and with Marlowe as narrator. Why do you think Chandler chose to write the story in the first person? How do you think the meaning of the story would of changed if it was written in the third person?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)