|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the man doing in the back room?
2. What does Marlowe tell Brody he can frame him for?
3. Why does Marlowe insist that the Kid has a key?
4. Which character has run off with Eddie Mars' wife?
5. Who does Marlowe call in this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What clue does Marlowe find?
2. What suggestion are there that Geiger's store maybe a smut shop?
3. What does Marlowe report to the Sternwood's butler?
4. Why does Canino think Marlowe is dead?
5. How does Marlowe make the woman in Geiger's store nervous?
6. How does Mars react to the fact that there maybe a gray Plymouth on Marlowe's tail?
7. What does Marlowe discover from the dead body?
8. What's Marlowe's excuse for looking for Regan?
9. Describe the Sternwood house
10. Describe the two Sternwood girls.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Eddie Mars presence add to the book? How and why does Marlowe deal with Mars to get the information he wants? In what way is Mars a typical character from thirties popular culture?
Essay Topic 2
The Big Sleep is a famous book which has greatly influenced modern literature. Choose a book written after the novel that you think was influenced by it and discuss there similarities in terms of:
Essay Topic 3
Discuss whether you think this statement is true or false:
The character of Eddie Mars exemplifies a corrupt era where the only people who were successful were criminals. Use two examples from the novel to support your argument.
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)