Pick a character from the novel and discuss their goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Discuss the values of 1930s America:
1) Why was morality such an issue during this time?
2) In what ways are the characters negative characteristics a product of their time? Do you think America was going through a transitional phase in the fifties? What significant changes do you think occurred during this period?
3) Does modern society share any values with thirties America?
Look at the structure of the novel:
1) How does Chandler use character and dialogue to drive the narrative.
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure, including: Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and...
This section contains 927 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)