Chapter 1 | Chapter 2
* Private detective Philip Marlowe visits General Sternwood at the Sternwood estate.
* The first person Marlowe meets is Carmen Sternwood. She pretends to faint so Marlowe has to hold her.
* The butler leads Marlowe into the greenhouse to see the General.
* The General tells Marlowe he is being blackmailed and he wants Marlowe to find who is blackmailing him. The blackmailer is called Geiger.
Chapter 3 | Chapter 4
* Marlowe meets the General's other daughter Vivian Regan. Vivian thinks Marlowe has been hired to find her husband Rusty, but Marlowe denies it.
* Marlowe visits the local library to find out about rare books. He learns everything he needs to know to make his next step.
* Marlowe visits Geiger's bookstore where he asks about rare books. The lady says Geiger won't be back until later.
* Marlowe waits for a while and sees a man enter the shop, go to a back...
This section contains 1,507 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)