|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Andrew leave right away for the ship bound for Argentina?
2. What does Andrew place over Robert's heart at the end of the play?
3. What does Mrs. Atkins say that Mary inherited from her father?
4. What does Robert suggest that Andrew avoids telling Ruth when they are talking on the hilltop?
5. What does Robert say about Ruth at the end of the play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of sickness in this play. In what way is sickness believed to be passed from one character to another? How did Robert battle illness as a young child? Does he seem to resent others' view of him as having a poor constitution?
Essay Topic 2
In what ways did Robert ignore his true calling? What were the consequences of this decision? Discuss using specific textual examples to support your viewpoint.
Essay Topic 3
In what way is the sun used to symbolize hope? Discuss Robert's need to see the sun before he dies. Why is it important to him?
This section contains 249 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)