|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ruth speak when she says "I'll go" and walks slowly toward the bedroom?
2. What doesn't Ruth want to tell Robert at the end of the play?
3. Who is furious with Ruth when Robert is shut up in the bedroom?
4. Why does Ruth tremble in fright when she steps inside Robert's bedroom?
5. What color dress is Ruth wearing in Act 3, Scene 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the play, Andrew is held up as an example of a good farmer. Discuss the other character's view of him as the person who will turn the farm around. Does he succeed in fulfilling these expectations? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the relationship between Ruth and Robert. What made her believe she loved him? What causes her to change her mind? Do you believe that Robert continued to care for Ruth right up to his death?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of sickness in this play. In what way is sickness believed to be passed from one character to another? How did Robert battle illness as a young child? Does he seem to resent others' view of him as having a poor constitution?
This section contains 254 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)