|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Andrew ask Ruth for in the last scene of the play?
2. What does Andrew say to Ruth about his feelings for Robert in Act 3, Scene 1?
3. What is the setting of Act 2, Scene 2?
4. What does Mrs. Atkins say that Mary inherited from her father?
5. What does Andrew say to Robert about the death of his father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the relationship between Ruth and Robert. What made her believe she loved him? What causes her to change her mind? Do you believe that Robert continued to care for Ruth right up to his death?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the brothers' viewpoints about the sea voyage at the beginning of the play. Whose view is more practical? What do you think of Robert's reasons for going? Explain your viewpoint.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the themes of bad luck/good luck. How do we see these themes used in the play? Who is most closely connected with bad luck and what does he hope for to turn his luck around?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)