|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Robert say about Ruth at the end of the play?
2. What is Robert sitting on while he's on the hilltop with Mary, gazing at the horizon?
3. Why doesn't Andrew leave right away for the ship bound for Argentina?
4. How does Ruth speak when she says "I'll go" and walks slowly toward the bedroom?
5. What does Robert say he feels like he's been cooped up in all his life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Robert's relationship with his daughter Mary? Do you agree or disagree that he seems to be a better parent than Ruth? Explain your viewpoint using specific textual examples.
Essay Topic 2
Do you think it is fair that Ruth asks Robert to cancel his plans for the sea voyage and stay at home with her? In what ways does she manipulate him to make this decision? Explain using specific supporting examples.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the literal and symbolic meaning of the title "Beyond the Horizon." What particular meaning does it have for Robert and Andrew?
This section contains 221 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)