|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Andrew look like at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 2?
2. What is Robert sitting on while he's on the hilltop with Mary, gazing at the horizon?
3. What is the setting of Act 2, Scene 2?
4. How many telegrams did Ruth and Robert receive from Andrew in New York?
5. What is the last word Robert says in the play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what way is the sun used to symbolize hope? Discuss Robert's need to see the sun before he dies. Why is it important to him?
Essay Topic 2
What is Robert's relationship with his daughter Mary? Do you agree or disagree that he seems to be a better parent than Ruth? Explain your viewpoint using specific textual examples.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of sickness in this play. In what way is sickness believed to be passed from one character to another? How did Robert battle illness as a young child? Does he seem to resent others' view of him as having a poor constitution?
This section contains 191 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)