|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Atkins use in order to move around?
2. Who has lost her fresh appearance at the beginning of Act 2?
(b) Mrs. Atkins.
3. What is Robert doing instead of eating his meal in Act 2, Scene 1?
(b) Listening to the radio.
(d) Watching TV.
4. What is the name of Robert and Ruth's child?
5. What kind of work does Andrew say he likes to do in Act 1, Scene 1?
(b) Take care of the family farm.
(d) Tax Preparation.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Andrew say is not part of Robert's nature when he is talking with him at the fence?
2. What is Ruth reading when Robert comes in and watches her without her knowing in Act 2?
3. Who is joining the Mayo family for dinner at the beginning of the play?
4. What is the setting of Act I, Scene I?
5. Why does Ruth complain about her mother to Robert at the beginning of the play?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Robert dies, how do Andrew and Ruth react?
2. How does Mrs. Mayo defend her son Robert from Mrs. Atkins' criticisms?
3. What reasons does Ruth give for wanting to talk with Robert alone at the fence the night before he is supposed to leave?
4. What does Ruth say when Andrew angrily asks her why they didn't let him know about Robert's deteriorating health?
5. What is Andrew's reaction to Robert's announcement that he is in love with Ruth?
6. What does Robert say about Mary's death eight months before?
7. Why does Ben quit his job as hired-hand?
8. Describe the argument between Robert and Ruth in Act 2, Scene 1.
9. Is Mary sensitive to her parents emotional state on the hilltop?
10. How does Ruth behave toward Robert when he comes in late for dinner?
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)