|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color is Dick Scott's mustache?
2. Who is Andrew?
(a) Robert's twin.
(b) Robert's younger brother.
(c) Robert's cousin.
(d) Robert's older brother.
3. What charms Ruth about Robert's voice when he's telling the dreams of his childhood?
(a) His British accent.
(b) Its high-pitched quality.
(c) His gruff sound.
(d) Its low, musical sound.
4. Who says the hills around the farm feel like a prison?
5. What does Mrs. Mayo say in Act 2, Scene1 to defend Robert against Mrs. Atkins' criticisms?
(a) He has enough money.
(b) He works hard.
(c) He is always on time.
(d) He's better than they are.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the woman from the missionary ask Dick Scott?
2. What does Ruth tell Robert about her feelings for Andrew?
3. Who has lost her fresh appearance at the beginning of Act 2?
4. How does Mr. Mayo respond when Andrew says he wants to see the world?
5. When Robert is a child, what does he look at and get to know by heart?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is Mary sensitive to her parents emotional state on the hilltop?
2. Describe how Andrew has changed since he went away on the voyage.
3. How does Andrew try to make good on his promise to his brother to take care of Ruth?
4. Describe the hilltop setting of Act 2, Scene 2.
5. How do Kate and James Mayo feel about Robert leaving on the voyage?
6. What is the setting of Act 1, Scene 2?
7. How does Robert respond when Andrew says he's planning to return to Argentina?
8. Why is the true reason Andrew doesn't want to stay on the farm?
9. Describe the setting of Act 1, Scene 1.
10. In Act 2, Scene 1, describe Robert's relationship with Mary.
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)