|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Robert think the secret is to what he has been seeking at the beginning of the play?
2. What is the setting of Act I, Scene 2?
(b) Small sitting room of the farmhouse.
3. What does Mr. Mayo threaten to do to Andrew if he finds him still at home in the morning?
(a) Hug him.
(b) Make a new plan.
(c) Give him breakfast.
(d) Throw him out.
4. How does Ruth respond when Robert says that Andrew writes letters like a farmer in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) She agrees with Robert's impression.
(b) She laughs and teases Robert.
(c) Robert should not make fun of Andrew.
(d) She tears up Andrew's letter.
5. When Robert is a child, what does he look at and get to know by heart?
(b) Different sunsets.
(c) Dog breeds.
(d) Language study guides.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the weather at the beginning of Act 2?
2. What nickname does Robert give Ruth?
3. How long will Robert be at sea?
4. Who is Andrew?
5. Who says "I feel--dead" at the end of Act I, Scene 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Ruth and Robert's reactions to the news that Andrew is sailing again the next morning on a ship for Argentina?
2. How has Ruth changed after three years of being married?
3. In Act 2, Scene 1, describe Robert's relationship with Mary.
4. Describe the country setting where Robert goes to die.
5. What are Ruth's intentions when she goes up to the hilltop?
6. Why does Robert want to leave the farm?
7. Why does Andrew think it's a good idea for Robert to go on the sea voyage?
8. What does Ruth say when Andrew angrily asks her why they didn't let him know about Robert's deteriorating health?
9. Why does Robert say he wants to die while outside watching the sun rise?
10. Describe how Andrew has changed since he went away on the voyage.
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)