|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the setting of Act I, Scene 2?
(b) Small sitting room of the farmhouse.
2. Who says "Oh, Ruth, our love is sweeter than any distant dream?"
3. Where is Andrew when Robert tells his family that he loves Ruth?
(d) Sitting room.
4. What does Mrs. Mayo say that Ruth acted like at dinner with the Mayo family and Uncle Dick?
(a) Calm and relaxed.
(c) Flustered and giggly.
5. Who is Andrew?
(a) Robert's cousin.
(b) Robert's twin.
(c) Robert's younger brother.
(d) Robert's older brother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ruth tell Robert about her feelings for Andrew?
2. What is Ruth reading when Robert comes in and watches her without her knowing in Act 2?
3. What sound does Mary make in the bedroom while her parents are fighting?
4. Who says that Robert "tells things so beautifully?"
5. What excuse does Ruth use as the reason she has to stay on the farm?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Robert dies, how do Andrew and Ruth react?
2. What does Robert say that the doctor told him to do to be cured?
3. What does Andrew promise Robert before he dies?
4. What does Ruth say when Andrew angrily asks her why they didn't let him know about Robert's deteriorating health?
5. Describe the hilltop setting of Act 2, Scene 2.
6. Why is the true reason Andrew doesn't want to stay on the farm?
7. What is the relationship between Andrew and Robert at the beginning of the play?
8. What news does Uncle Dick bring Andrew when he climbs up to the hilltop?
9. What does Kate say she thinks is going on between Ruth and Robert?
10. Describe the sitting room's appearance in Act 3.
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)