|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long will Robert be at sea?
(a) Three years.
(b) Twelve years.
(c) One year.
(d) Six years.
2. What does Ben say is broken in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) His hand.
(b) The car.
(c) Mowing machine.
(d) The dishwasher.
3. What does the child want to play with at the beginning of Act 2?
(d) Stuffed animal.
4. What does Andrew check on after dinner when he leaves the sitting room?
(a) His laundry.
(c) The black cow.
(d) The chickens.
5. Who says to Robert "I didn't want to spoil this last night you're here?"
(c) Mrs. Atkins.
(d) His mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ben say will happen if he doesn't get paid when Robert gets back from town?
2. How does Mr. Mayo respond when Andrew says he wants to see the world?
3. Who describes Robert as a loafer and stupid?
4. What sound does Mary make in the bedroom while her parents are fighting?
5. What does Uncle Dick say to Andrew about the way he spoke up to his father in Act 1, Scene 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Andrew think it's a good idea for Robert to go on the sea voyage?
2. What are Ruth and Robert's reactions to the news that Andrew is sailing again the next morning on a ship for Argentina?
3. When Robert dies, how do Andrew and Ruth react?
4. How does Ruth react to the news that Robert loves her?
5. What does James Mayo say about Uncle Dick's comment that Andrew would be a better sea-faring man than Robert?
6. What does Andrew promise Robert before he dies?
7. What does Ruth tell her mother about Robert's plan for their future when he gets well and can leave the farm?
8. What does Mrs. Atkins criticize Robert for as she sits at the table knitting with Mrs. Mayo?
9. Describe the country setting where Robert goes to die.
10. Describe the sitting room's appearance in Act 3.
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)