|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Robert bring up Uncle Dick's name when he's talking with Ruth in Act 1, Scene 1?
(a) He wants her to interview him.
(b) He wonders if she's met him.
(c) He says he doesn't like him.
(d) He's worried about disappointing him.
2. What sound does Mary make in the bedroom while her parents are fighting?
3. What is the name that Robert's daughter calls him?
4. What kind of work does Andrew say he likes to do in Act 1, Scene 1?
(a) Tax Preparation.
(c) Take care of the family farm.
5. What does Robert say to Ruth about why he has to leave?
(a) He is in love with her.
(b) The farm is too small a world.
(c) He hates being around his dad.
(d) He wants to get away from her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Robert doing instead of eating his meal in Act 2, Scene 1?
2. What excuse does Ruth use as the reason she has to stay on the farm?
3. Who is joining the Mayo family for dinner at the beginning of the play?
4. What is the name of Robert and Ruth's child?
5. Who says "I feel--dead" at the end of Act I, Scene 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Robert respond when Andrew says he's planning to return to Argentina?
2. What is the setting of Act 1, Scene 2?
3. What does Mrs. Atkins criticize Robert for as she sits at the table knitting with Mrs. Mayo?
4. When Andrew hears the news that Robert will die soon, how does he show his optimistic outlook about Robert's chances to get well?
5. What is the relationship between Andrew and Robert at the beginning of the play?
6. What does Mrs. Mayo say killed her husband?
7. How does Mrs. Mayo defend her son Robert from Mrs. Atkins' criticisms?
8. What is Ruth reading when Robert comes in for dinner in Act 2, Scene 1?
9. What work is Andrew considered to be well suited for?
10. Why does Robert want to leave the farm?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)