|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Andrew say from offstage at the end of Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) Anyone home?
(b) Where are you?
(c) What's going on?
2. What does Uncle Dick say to Andrew about the way he spoke up to his father in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) "You're rude."
(b) "You were tough on him."
(c) "You certainly put him in his place."
(d) "I like your spirit."
3. What does the main room of the farmhouse look like in Act 2?
(a) Shabby and untidy.
(b) Newly painted.
(d) All new furniture.
4. What is one opportunity that Andrew says Robert will have by going on the sea voyage?
(a) Volunteer work.
(b) He'll make money.
(c) More time to study biology.
(d) Learn how to cook.
5. What is the weather at the beginning of Act 2?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says Andrew is a born farmer while talking after dinner?
2. What kind of work does Andrew say he likes to do in Act 1, Scene 1?
3. How does Ruth respond when Robert says that Andrew writes letters like a farmer in Act 2, Scene 1?
4. Who says to Robert "I didn't want to spoil this last night you're here?"
5. What kind of luck does Robert say he's been having?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the setting of Act 1, Scene 2?
2. What news does Uncle Dick bring Andrew when he climbs up to the hilltop?
3. What does Andrew tell Robert about his travels when he joins him on the hilltop?
4. What is Andrew's response to Robert when he cries out that the situation is damnable?
5. How does Ruth react to the news that Robert loves her?
6. What does Mrs. Atkins say is wrong with Mary when she hears her crying?
7. What does Robert tell his family when he returns from walking Ruth and her mother home?
8. When Andrew hears the news that Robert will die soon, how does he show his optimistic outlook about Robert's chances to get well?
9. Describe Robert's death scene.
10. What does Robert say that the doctor told him to do to be cured?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)