|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Andrew tell Dick Scott he will do at the end of Act I, Scene II?
(a) Find another farm to work on.
(b) Go to college.
(c) Take Robert's place on the voyage.
(d) Work on another ship.
2. What does Mrs. Mayo say her husband died of?
(a) Stubbornness and a broken heart.
(b) Old age.
(d) Heart attack.
3. Who says to Robert "I didn't want to spoil this last night you're here?"
(a) His mother.
(d) Mrs. Atkins.
4. How does Mr. Mayo describe Robert's farming abilities?
(a) He's a great farmer.
(b) He has good ideas.
(c) He's can milk the cows.
(d) He was never cut out to be a farmer.
5. What excuse does Ruth use as the reason she has to stay on the farm?
(b) Her father.
(c) Her mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says "I feel--dead" at the end of Act I, Scene 2?
2. What does Uncle Dick say to Andrew about the way he spoke up to his father in Act 1, Scene 2?
3. Who is knitting at the beginning of Act 2?
4. What is the relationship between Mrs. Mayo and Dick Scott?
5. Who places himself between Mr. Mayo and Andrew when Mr. Mayo threatens to hit Andrew?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Robert say that Andrew must not feel sorry that he is about to die?
2. What does Robert tell his family when he returns from walking Ruth and her mother home?
3. What is Andrew's reaction to Robert's reasons for leaving on the voyage?
4. What does Ruth say when Andrew angrily asks her why they didn't let him know about Robert's deteriorating health?
5. Describe the hilltop setting of Act 2, Scene 2.
6. What is Ruth reading when Robert comes in for dinner in Act 2, Scene 1?
7. Who is Ruth waiting up for in Act 3, Scene 1?
8. What story does Uncle Dick tell the family as they sit around the table?
9. What is the relationship between Andrew and Robert at the beginning of the play?
10. Why is the true reason Andrew doesn't want to stay on the farm?
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)