|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ruth respond when Robert says that Andrew writes letters like a farmer in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) She tears up Andrew's letter.
(b) She laughs and teases Robert.
(c) She agrees with Robert's impression.
(d) Robert should not make fun of Andrew.
2. Why does Ruth complain about her mother to Robert at the beginning of the play?
(a) She doesn't like to talk.
(b) She likes to be alone.
(c) She nags Ruth.
(d) She is too happy.
3. What does Mr. Mayo tell Dick Scott he needs to find for his voyage?
(c) Hired hand.
4. What is the name of Robert and Ruth's child?
5. Who is knitting at the beginning of Act 2?
(a) Mrs. Atkins.
(b) Mrs. Scott.
Short Answer Questions
1. What nickname does Robert give Ruth?
2. Who is joining the Mayo family for dinner at the beginning of the play?
3. Where is Robert sitting at the beginning of the play?
4. When does Robert tell his family that he loves Ruth?
5. What does Ruth tell Robert about her feelings for Andrew?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Kate and James Mayo feel about Robert leaving on the voyage?
2. What does Robert tell his family when he returns from walking Ruth and her mother home?
3. Why is the true reason Andrew doesn't want to stay on the farm?
4. What is the reason James tells Andrew to never return to the farm again?
5. What did Andrew discover about Argentina?
6. What does Andrew promise Robert before he dies?
7. How does Ruth react to the news that Robert loves her?
8. What is Andrew's response to Robert when he cries out that the situation is damnable?
9. Describe Robert's plan for his and Ruth's future when he gets well.
10. What is Ruth reading when Robert comes in for dinner in Act 2, Scene 1?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)