|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Robert says Ruth is mean and:
2. What does Mr. Mayo tell Dick Scott he needs to find for his voyage?
(b) Hired hand.
3. What is the setting of Act I, Scene I?
(d) The side of the road at twilight.
4. What does Andrew suggest his father do to get more help on the farm?
(a) Buy new equipment.
(b) Hire a man.
(c) Work harder.
(d) Hire two men.
5. Who is laughing at Ben?
(c) Farmers and farmhands.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Uncle Dick say to Andrew about the way he spoke up to his father in Act 1, Scene 2?
2. What is Andrew's job on the ship?
3. What does Ruth tell Robert about her feelings for Andrew?
4. What does Mrs. Mayo say that Ruth acted like at dinner with the Mayo family and Uncle Dick?
5. Who is joining the Mayo family for dinner at the beginning of the play?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Andrew's reaction to Robert's announcement that he is in love with Ruth?
2. Why does Robert say that Andrew must not feel sorry that he is about to die?
3. When Robert dies, how do Andrew and Ruth react?
4. Describe the argument between Robert and Ruth in Act 2, Scene 1.
5. Describe how Andrew has changed since he went away on the voyage.
6. How does Ruth react to the news that Robert loves her?
7. Describe Robert's plan for his and Ruth's future when he gets well.
8. How do Kate and James Mayo feel about Robert leaving on the voyage?
9. When Andrew hears the news that Robert will die soon, how does he show his optimistic outlook about Robert's chances to get well?
10. Describe Robert's physical state at the beginning of Act 3.
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)