|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the setting of Act I, Scene I?
(c) The side of the road at twilight.
2. What does Mrs. Mayo say in Act 2, Scene1 to defend Robert against Mrs. Atkins' criticisms?
(a) He is always on time.
(b) He's better than they are.
(c) He has enough money.
(d) He works hard.
3. What does the woman from the missionary ask Dick Scott?
(a) What time it is.
(b) His first name.
(c) Where seagulls sleep at night.
4. What does Robert do after he lifts Ruth into his arms in Act 1, Scene 1?
(a) Carries her to the road.
(b) Runs away with her.
(c) Places her in a car.
(d) Puts her on a bicycle.
5. Robert says Ruth is mean and:
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says "We'll be late for supper, Rob?"
2. Where is Robert sitting at the beginning of the play?
3. When Robert is a child, what does he look at and get to know by heart?
4. Who describes Robert as a loafer and stupid?
5. What does Ben say is broken in Act 2, Scene 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Ruth's intentions when she goes up to the hilltop?
2. What does Ruth tell her mother about Robert's plan for their future when he gets well and can leave the farm?
3. Is Mary sensitive to her parents emotional state on the hilltop?
4. How does Andrew describe his feelings for Ruth as he and Robert sit on the hilltop discussing Andrew's travels?
5. Why does Andrew think it's a good idea for Robert to go on the sea voyage?
6. What is Andrew's reaction to Robert's announcement that he is in love with Ruth?
7. What does Andrew tell Robert about his travels when he joins him on the hilltop?
8. Why is the true reason Andrew doesn't want to stay on the farm?
9. What did Andrew discover about Argentina?
10. Describe Robert's plan for his and Ruth's future when he gets well.
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)