|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Ruth accuse Robert of being jealous of Andrew?
(a) Becuase he has better hair.
(b) Because he is older.
(c) Because Andrew has made a man of himself.
(d) Because he is taller.
2. What does Uncle Dick say to Andrew about the way he spoke up to his father in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) "You're rude."
(b) "You were tough on him."
(c) "I like your spirit."
(d) "You certainly put him in his place."
3. What does Robert plan to do to keep the family afloat until harvest time?
(a) Mortgage the farm.
(b) Borrow money from Andrew.
(c) Sell off an acre of the farm.
(d) Raise prices for their potatoes.
4. What does Ruth tell Robert about her feelings for Andrew?
(a) She doesn't love him.
(b) She was just pretending.
(c) She'll always want to be with him.
(d) She loves him.
5. What is Andrew's job on the ship?
(a) Deck swabber.
(b) Deck hand.
(c) Head officer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Andrew tell his father about Ruth in Act 1, Scene 2?
2. What sound does Mary make in the bedroom while her parents are fighting?
3. How does Mr. Mayo respond when Andrew says he wants to see the world?
4. What is one opportunity that Andrew says Robert will have by going on the sea voyage?
5. Where is Andrew when Robert tells his family that he loves Ruth?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Andrew think it's a good idea for Robert to go on the sea voyage?
2. What does Robert say about Mary's death eight months before?
3. What does Mrs. Atkins say is wrong with Mary when she hears her crying?
4. What does Ruth say when Andrew angrily asks her why they didn't let him know about Robert's deteriorating health?
5. What are Ruth's intentions when she goes up to the hilltop?
6. How does Robert respond when Andrew says he's planning to return to Argentina?
7. Describe how Andrew has changed since he went away on the voyage.
8. Describe Robert's death scene.
9. Why does Robert say he wants to die while outside watching the sun rise?
10. What is Andrew's reaction to Robert's reasons for leaving on the voyage?
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)