|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Andrew tell his parents about Robert's perspective on the sea voyage?
(a) Robert doesn't want to go on the voyage.
(b) Robert is set on going on the voyage.
(c) Robert resents having to go.
(d) Robert is too scared to go.
2. What is Robert in search of during the sea voyage?
(a) Wide open spaces.
(b) Long lost cousin.
3. Who is joining the Mayo family for dinner at the beginning of the play?
(a) Uncle Matthew.
(b) Ruth and her mother.
4. Who is knitting at the beginning of Act 2?
(a) Mrs. Scott.
(b) Mrs. Atkins.
5. What does Mr. Mayo tell Dick Scott he needs to find for his voyage?
(a) Hired hand.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says "I feel--dead" at the end of Act I, Scene 2?
2. What is Robert late for in Act 2, Scene 1?
3. What is Ruth reading when Robert comes in and watches her without her knowing in Act 2?
4. What does Robert tell his father about the farm after he says he's not going on the voyage?
5. What is the setting of Act I, Scene I?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Ruth reading when Robert comes in for dinner in Act 2, Scene 1?
2. What does Kate say she thinks is going on between Ruth and Robert?
3. Describe Robert's interests at the beginning of Act 1.
4. What story does Uncle Dick tell the family as they sit around the table?
5. What did Andrew discover about Argentina?
6. What does Mrs. Atkins criticize Robert for as she sits at the table knitting with Mrs. Mayo?
7. How does Andrew describe his feelings for Ruth as he and Robert sit on the hilltop discussing Andrew's travels?
8. How has Ruth changed after three years of being married?
9. Describe Robert's death scene.
10. What does Ruth tell her mother about Robert's plan for their future when he gets well and can leave the farm?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)