|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What job does Mrs. Mayo at one time hold?
2. What does the woman from the missionary ask Dick Scott?
(a) What time it is.
(b) His first name.
(c) Where seagulls sleep at night.
3. What does Mrs. Mayo say in Act 2, Scene1 to defend Robert against Mrs. Atkins' criticisms?
(a) He's better than they are.
(b) He works hard.
(c) He has enough money.
(d) He is always on time.
4. Who says "We'll be late for supper, Rob?"
(a) Ruth's mother.
5. What nickname does Robert give Ruth?
(a) Sweetie pie.
(b) Little Miss Common Sense.
(c) Ruthie girl.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is his mother's reaction when Robert tells his family about him and Ruth?
2. What is Andrew's job on the ship?
3. Who says that Ruth came to her for advice about managing the farm?
4. What does Uncle Dick say to Andrew about the way he spoke up to his father in Act 1, Scene 2?
5. Who is knitting at the beginning of Act 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ruth behave toward Robert when he comes in late for dinner?
2. Describe how Andrew has changed since he went away on the voyage.
3. What are Ruth's intentions when she goes up to the hilltop?
4. What reasons does Ruth give for wanting to talk with Robert alone at the fence the night before he is supposed to leave?
5. Describe the country setting where Robert goes to die.
6. Why does Robert say that Andrew must not feel sorry that he is about to die?
7. Describe Robert's plan for his and Ruth's future when he gets well.
8. What are Ruth and Robert's reactions to the news that Andrew is sailing again the next morning on a ship for Argentina?
9. Describe the sitting room's appearance in Act 3.
10. What is the reason James tells Andrew to never return to the farm again?
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)