|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Andrew tell his parents about Robert's perspective on the sea voyage?
(a) Robert is too scared to go.
(b) Robert doesn't want to go on the voyage.
(c) Robert is set on going on the voyage.
(d) Robert resents having to go.
2. Who says "I've earned my right to quit when I want to?"
(c) Mr. Mayo.
3. Who says "I feel--dead" at the end of Act I, Scene 2?
(b) Uncle Dick.
(c) Mr. Mayo.
4. In what month is the beginning of the play set?
5. Who is joining the Mayo family for dinner at the beginning of the play?
(a) Ruth and her mother.
(c) Uncle Matthew.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says to Robert "I didn't want to spoil this last night you're here?"
2. What is the name that Robert's daughter calls him?
3. Who says "We'll be late for supper, Rob?"
4. What does Robert gently pull away from Ruth's face when he's talking with her by the fence?
5. What does Ben say will happen if he doesn't get paid when Robert gets back from town?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Andrew's reaction to Robert's reasons for leaving on the voyage?
2. What is the reason James tells Andrew to never return to the farm again?
3. In Act 2, Scene 1, describe Robert's relationship with Mary.
4. What does Robert tell Ruth about why he is leaving?
5. Describe Robert's physical state at the beginning of Act 3.
6. How does Andrew try to make good on his promise to his brother to take care of Ruth?
7. What kind of plan does Andrew speak about to Ruth while the doctor is examining Robert?
8. What is the relationship between Andrew and Robert at the beginning of the play?
9. What is Ruth reading when Robert comes in for dinner in Act 2, Scene 1?
10. How does Ruth react to the news that Robert loves her?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)