|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the woman from the missionary ask Dick Scott?
(a) Where seagulls sleep at night.
(c) What time it is.
(d) His first name.
2. Who does Ruth say she loves at the end of Act 2, Scene 1?
3. How long will Robert be at sea?
(a) One year.
(b) Three years.
(c) Twelve years.
(d) Six years.
4. What does Mrs. Atkins use in order to move around?
5. What does Andrew suggest his father do to get more help on the farm?
(a) Hire a man.
(b) Work harder.
(c) Buy new equipment.
(d) Hire two men.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Robert is a child, what does he look at and get to know by heart?
2. What does Robert gently pull away from Ruth's face when he's talking with her by the fence?
3. What does the child want to play with at the beginning of Act 2?
4. How does Ruth respond when Robert says that Andrew writes letters like a farmer in Act 2, Scene 1?
5. What does Andrew say from offstage at the end of Act 2, Scene 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Act 2, Scene 1, describe Robert's relationship with Mary.
2. Describe Robert's death scene.
3. What is Andrew's reaction to Robert's reasons for leaving on the voyage?
4. Is Mary sensitive to her parents emotional state on the hilltop?
5. Describe the sitting room's appearance in Act 3.
6. What is Andrew's response to Robert when he cries out that the situation is damnable?
7. What are Ruth and Robert's reactions to the news that Andrew is sailing again the next morning on a ship for Argentina?
8. What does Mrs. Atkins criticize Robert for as she sits at the table knitting with Mrs. Mayo?
9. How does Andrew react when Robert says it's too late for a cure and has a coughing fit?
10. Describe Robert's plan for his and Ruth's future when he gets well.
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)