|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mr. Mayo respond when Andrew says he wants to see the world?
(a) Write back and tell us everything.
(b) Andrew is running away from his own nature.
(c) Good luck.
(d) Have fun.
2. What is Ruth reading when Robert comes in and watches her without her knowing in Act 2?
(a) A letter from Andrew.
(c) History book.
3. What is the relationship between Mrs. Mayo and Dick Scott?
(c) Sister and brother.
4. What does Andrew say from offstage at the end of Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) What's going on?
(c) Where are you?
(d) Anyone home?
5. When does Robert tell his family that he loves Ruth?
(a) In the morning.
(b) Before dinner.
(c) At dinner.
(d) After dinner when he returns home.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says the hills around the farm feel like a prison?
2. What is the name of Robert and Ruth's child?
3. Why does Ruth accuse Robert of being jealous of Andrew?
4. Where is Robert sitting at the beginning of the play?
5. What does Ruth say would happen to her if Robert leaves?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Andrew discover about Argentina?
2. Describe the country setting where Robert goes to die.
3. What is Andrew's reaction to Robert's reasons for leaving on the voyage?
4. What is the reason James tells Andrew to never return to the farm again?
5. Describe Robert's plan for his and Ruth's future when he gets well.
6. What does Ruth say when Andrew angrily asks her why they didn't let him know about Robert's deteriorating health?
7. Why does Ben quit his job as hired-hand?
8. What is Andrew's response to Robert when he cries out that the situation is damnable?
9. How does Ruth react to the news that Robert loves her?
10. How has Ruth changed after three years of being married?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)