|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Robert's response when Andrew says he's going to accept a job from a friend?
(a) He is noncommital.
(b) He refuses to speak to him.
(c) He wants to come.
(d) He is upset.
2. Who says he won't come back with "empty hands next time?"
(a) Uncle Dick.
(b) Captain Scott.
3. What does Robert want Andrew to promise in Act 3, Scene 1?
(a) To mow the grass.
(b) To stay at the farm.
(c) To marry Ruth.
(d) To read more books.
4. What does Robert see rising from the rim of the hills at the end of the play?
(c) The sun.
(d) The moon.
5. What does Andrew offer to lend Robert to get the farm back on its feet?
(b) His tools.
(d) Farm equipment.
6. What is the setting of Act 2, Scene 2?
(b) Top of a hill.
7. Who is the last person to leave the stage at the end of Act 2, Scene 2?
8. What is Robert sitting on while he's on the hilltop with Mary, gazing at the horizon?
9. What does Andrew ask Ruth for in the last scene of the play?
(a) A warm hug.
(b) A photograph of Robert.
(c) A smile.
10. Where does Andrew suggest they should bring Robert to get cured?
11. What noise comes from Robert's throat in Scene 3, Act 2?
(a) Rattling noise.
(b) A chuckle.
(c) A song.
12. What does Ruth say she feels like she's having in honor of Andrew's visit?
(a) Birthday celebration.
13. What name does Andrew sob out at the end of the play?
(a) Uncle Dick's.
(c) Mrs. Mayo's.
14. What tone of voice does Andrew use to speak to Ruth after Robert has died?
(a) A critical tone.
(b) A furious tone.
(c) A sad tone.
(d) A happy tone.
15. In the very last scene, Andrew tells Ruth they must:
(a) Marry right away.
(b) Leave on a vacation together.
(c) Never see one another again.
(d) Try to help each other.
Short Answer Questions
1. What doesn't Ruth want to tell Robert at the end of the play?
2. What disease does Robert say he has?
3. How does Ruth speak when she says "I'll go" and walks slowly toward the bedroom?
4. What does Robert say about Ruth at the end of the play?
5. What does Robert say he feels like he's been cooped up in all his life?
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)