|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Robert say he feels like he's been cooped up in all his life?
(a) A library.
(b) His barn.
(c) A room.
2. What color dress is Ruth wearing in Act 3, Scene 1?
3. Who strokes Mary's hair before they walk down from the hilltop to the house for dinner?
(c) Uncle Dick.
4. Who is thin and unhealthy looking in Act 3?
(b) Dr. Fawcett.
(c) Mrs. Atkins.
5. What is wrong with the curtains in the sitting room in Act 3?
(a) They are new and wrinkled.
(b) They are the wrong color.
(c) They are torn and dirty.
(d) They are gone.
6. Who says he won't come back with "empty hands next time?"
(a) Uncle Dick.
(d) Captain Scott.
7. Why does Ruth tremble in fright when she steps inside Robert's bedroom?
(a) He is dead.
(b) He is gone.
(c) He is breaking things in the room.
(d) He is unconscious.
8. What is Uncle Dick tending in the port while Andrew is on the hilltop?
9. Who does Mary announce is coming to the hilltop at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 2?
(a) Mrs. Mayo.
(b) Her mother.
(c) A man.
(d) Uncle Dick.
10. What does Andrew offer to lend Robert to get the farm back on its feet?
(b) Farm equipment.
(d) His tools.
11. What is open in the bedroom when Ruth goes in to talk with Robert?
(a) The door.
(b) A jewelry box.
(c) A drawer.
(d) The window.
12. What does Andrew look like at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 2?
13. Who dies in the Mayo family after Andrew goes away?
(a) Kate and Mary.
14. What is Robert sitting on while he's on the hilltop with Mary, gazing at the horizon?
15. What does Andrew say to Ruth about his feelings for Robert in Act 3, Scene 1?
(a) He loves Robert more than anyone in the world.
(b) He's mad at him.
(c) He feels resentful.
(d) He is jealous.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Robert hear calling him from the horizon at the end of the play?
2. In Act 3, scene 1, what does Robert say Andrew has been doing for the last eight years?
3. What does Andrew say he's going to turn the farm into during Act 2, Scene 2?
4. What does Ruth tell Robert when she goes up to the hilltop?
5. Why can't Ruth and Robert send a telegraph to Andrew?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)