|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What disease does Robert say he has?
(d) High blood pressure.
2. What does Robert say about Ruth at the end of the play?
(a) She can live with her mother.
(b) She has suffered.
(c) She is mean.
(d) She doesn't need anyone.
3. What does Robert believe the rising sun is a symbol of?
(b) A hot day.
(c) Good fortune.
4. How many telegrams did Ruth and Robert receive from Andrew in New York?
5. What tone of voice does Andrew use to speak to Ruth after Robert has died?
(a) A happy tone.
(b) A sad tone.
(c) A critical tone.
(d) A furious tone.
6. What are the last words spoken in Act 3, Scene 1?
(a) "So long."
(b) "Be Well."
(d) "Let's hope to God--."
7. What does Andrew say to Ruth about his feelings for Robert in Act 3, Scene 1?
(a) He loves Robert more than anyone in the world.
(b) He's mad at him.
(c) He feels resentful.
(d) He is jealous.
8. Who is the last person to leave the stage at the end of Act 2, Scene 2?
9. What tone of voice does Ruth use when she says "Come on and I'll get your dinner for you" at the end of Act 2?
10. What does Andrew do immediately after Robert has died?
(b) Bends down on one knee besides the body.
(d) Calls 911.
11. What job is Andrew going to have on the ship bound for Argentina?
(b) Second officer.
12. What is Robert's response when Andrew says he's going to accept a job from a friend?
(a) He wants to come.
(b) He is upset.
(c) He is noncommital.
(d) He refuses to speak to him.
13. What does Andrew suggest they hire to help out around the farm?
(d) An experienced farmer.
14. Why does Ruth tremble in fright when she steps inside Robert's bedroom?
(a) He is unconscious.
(b) He is gone.
(c) He is dead.
(d) He is breaking things in the room.
15. What does Andrew tell Ruth about his finances?
(a) He has a million dollars put aside for the farm.
(b) He invested wisely in New York.
(c) He's not a rich man and lost most of his money gambling.
(d) He's a millionaire.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who calls Ruth a "mad fool" as Robert is sick in bed?
2. What does Andrew say that Argentina has?
3. What does Robert see rising from the rim of the hills at the end of the play?
4. What does Andrew place over Robert's heart at the end of the play?
5. Why does Andrew call Ruth a murderess?
This section contains 458 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)