|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Andrew ask Ruth for in the last scene of the play?
(a) A smile.
(b) A photograph of Robert.
(d) A warm hug.
2. What does Ruth cover her face with after Robert dies?
(a) Andrew's coat.
(b) Her hands.
3. What phrase does Ruth use to describe Robert's state of mind right before he died?
(a) He was so bereft.
(b) He was so fearful.
(c) He was so happy.
(d) He was so nervous.
4. Who tells Andrew that the inside of Robert's lungs are bad?
(b) Mrs. Mayo.
(d) Mrs. Atkins.
5. What is Robert's response when Andrew says he's going to accept a job from a friend?
(a) He is noncommital.
(b) He wants to come.
(c) He is upset.
(d) He refuses to speak to him.
6. Who strokes Mary's hair before they walk down from the hilltop to the house for dinner?
(a) Uncle Dick.
7. What does Andrew suggest they hire to help out around the farm?
(d) An experienced farmer.
8. What is the medical specialist's name?
(a) Mr. Green.
(b) Dr. Fawcett.
(c) Mr. Smith.
(d) Mrs. Ramsey.
9. What item does Andrew grab before he leaves the house in Act 3, Scene 1?
(a) His gloves.
(b) His appointment book.
(c) His cane.
(d) His hat.
10. What makes Captain Scott get out of breath in Act 2, Scene 2?
(d) Walking up the hill.
11. What time of day is it at the beginning of Act 3, Scene 2?
12. What does Andrew try and convince Ruth to do because he thinks she owes Robert?
(a) Knit him a scarf.
(b) Write a letter for him.
(c) Make a cake.
13. What does Andrew say to Ruth about his feelings for Robert in Act 3, Scene 1?
(a) He loves Robert more than anyone in the world.
(b) He is jealous.
(c) He's mad at him.
(d) He feels resentful.
14. What kind of business does Andrew want to get into in Argentina?
(a) Grain business.
(b) Ship building.
15. What promise does Andrew make to Robert at the end of the play?
(a) To give his books to the library.
(b) To try and write poetry.
(c) That he will take care of Ruth.
(d) To read Robert's journals.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Andrew leave right away for the ship bound for Argentina?
2. How does Robert describe Andrew's letters that he wrote to them while he was on the voyage?
3. Why can't Ruth and Robert send a telegraph to Andrew?
4. What is wrong with the curtains in the sitting room in Act 3?
5. Who says he doesn't believe in miracles after Andrew arrives from New York?
This section contains 488 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)