|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who says he doesn't believe in miracles after Andrew arrives from New York?
(b) Uncle Dick.
(d) Mr. Mayo.
2. How does Ruth speak when she says "I'll go" and walks slowly toward the bedroom?
3. When Robert says to Ruth that he wants to start over again and move to the city, what profession does he want to take up?
4. How does Robert describe Andrew's letters that he wrote to them while he was on the voyage?
(a) They were sketchy.
(c) Full of description.
(d) They came regularly.
5. What makes Captain Scott get out of breath in Act 2, Scene 2?
(b) Walking up the hill.
6. What name does Andrew sob out at the end of the play?
(b) Mrs. Mayo's.
(d) Uncle Dick's.
7. What color dress is Ruth wearing in Act 3, Scene 1?
8. What does Andrew say to Ruth about his feelings for Robert in Act 3, Scene 1?
(a) He's mad at him.
(b) He feels resentful.
(c) He loves Robert more than anyone in the world.
(d) He is jealous.
9. Whose mind is described as "sinking back into that spent calm beyond the further troubling of any hope"?
(d) Uncle Dick's.
10. Who dies in the Mayo family after Andrew goes away?
(b) Kate and Mary.
11. What is the setting of Act 2, Scene 2?
(d) Top of a hill.
12. In the very last scene, Andrew tells Ruth they must:
(a) Marry right away.
(b) Leave on a vacation together.
(c) Try to help each other.
(d) Never see one another again.
13. What does Andrew tell Ruth about his finances?
(a) He's not a rich man and lost most of his money gambling.
(b) He has a million dollars put aside for the farm.
(c) He's a millionaire.
(d) He invested wisely in New York.
14. What does Andrew place over Robert's heart at the end of the play?
(a) A sheet.
(b) His hand.
(c) Robert's favorite blanket.
(d) Ruth's handkerchief.
15. What does Andrew's rage change to at the end of the play when he is speaking to Ruth?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Andrew call Ruth a murderess?
2. What does Andrew do immediately after Robert has died?
3. What are the last words spoken in Act 3, Scene 1?
4. Who is thin and unhealthy looking in Act 3?
5. What does Ruth tell Robert when she goes up to the hilltop?
This section contains 457 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)