|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ruth speak when she says "I'll go" and walks slowly toward the bedroom?
2. Who strokes Mary's hair before they walk down from the hilltop to the house for dinner?
(c) Uncle Dick.
3. What does Mary notice about her mother at the end of Act 2, Scene 2?
(a) She is wearing a new hat.
(b) She is laughing at a joke.
(c) She is crying.
(d) She is frowning.
4. Who is thin and unhealthy looking in Act 3?
(b) Dr. Fawcett.
(c) Mrs. Atkins.
5. What item does Andrew grab before he leaves the house in Act 3, Scene 1?
(a) His hat.
(b) His cane.
(c) His gloves.
(d) His appointment book.
6. What kind of business does Andrew want to get into in Argentina?
(b) Grain business.
(c) Ship building.
7. What does Andrew place over Robert's heart at the end of the play?
(a) A sheet.
(b) Ruth's handkerchief.
(c) His hand.
(d) Robert's favorite blanket.
8. What name does Andrew sob out at the end of the play?
(a) Mrs. Mayo's.
(d) Uncle Dick's.
9. What does Andrew do immediately after Robert has died?
(a) Calls 911.
(c) Bends down on one knee besides the body.
10. What does Ruth tell Andrew he must realize about her after Robert has died?
(a) Her maiden name.
(b) She is an expert at religious questions.
(c) Her experience as a cook.
(d) That she has suffered too.
11. What does Andrew try and convince Ruth to do because he thinks she owes Robert?
(a) Knit him a scarf.
(c) Make a cake.
(d) Write a letter for him.
12. What is the "El Paso?"
(a) Store in town.
(b) A ship bound for Buenos Aires.
(c) Mexican resturaunt.
13. How is the apple tree at the beginning of Act 3, Scene 2 described?
(a) In full bloom.
(b) Leafless and seems dead.
(c) Filled with apples.
14. What does Robert want Andrew to promise in Act 3, Scene 1?
(a) To mow the grass.
(b) To marry Ruth.
(c) To read more books.
(d) To stay at the farm.
15. What does Robert hear calling him from the horizon at the end of the play?
(a) The sheep.
(b) The old voices.
(c) Mrs. Atkins.
(d) His neighbor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is dressed in white and looks pretty and fresh in Act 2, Scene 1?
2. What does Andrew tell Ruth about his love for her in the past?
3. What is Robert sitting on while he's on the hilltop with Mary, gazing at the horizon?
4. How does Ruth react when Robert dies at the end of the play?
5. What time of day is it at the beginning of Act 3, Scene 2?
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)