|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Robert say about Ruth at the end of the play?
(a) She has suffered.
(b) She is mean.
(c) She can live with her mother.
(d) She doesn't need anyone.
2. What is Robert sitting on while he's on the hilltop with Mary, gazing at the horizon?
3. In the very last scene, Andrew tells Ruth they must:
(a) Try to help each other.
(b) Marry right away.
(c) Never see one another again.
(d) Leave on a vacation together.
4. What makes Captain Scott get out of breath in Act 2, Scene 2?
(b) Walking up the hill.
5. Who strokes Mary's hair before they walk down from the hilltop to the house for dinner?
(a) Uncle Dick.
6. What item does Andrew grab before he leaves the house in Act 3, Scene 1?
(a) His appointment book.
(b) His cane.
(c) His gloves.
(d) His hat.
7. What does Andrew say to Ruth about his feelings for Robert in Act 3, Scene 1?
(a) He loves Robert more than anyone in the world.
(b) He feels resentful.
(c) He is jealous.
(d) He's mad at him.
8. What is Andrew smoking in Act 3, Scene 2?
(a) A turkey.
(b) A cigar.
(c) A cigarette.
(d) A pipe.
9. What is the medical specialist's name?
(a) Mr. Smith.
(b) Mrs. Ramsey.
(c) Dr. Fawcett.
(d) Mr. Green.
10. How does Ruth speak when she says "I'll go" and walks slowly toward the bedroom?
11. What name does Andrew sob out at the end of the play?
(a) Mrs. Mayo's.
(c) Uncle Dick's.
12. What does Andrew look like at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 2?
13. Who is the last person to leave the stage at the end of Act 2, Scene 2?
14. What does Robert say he feels like he's been cooped up in all his life?
(a) A room.
(b) His barn.
(d) A library.
15. Why doesn't Andrew leave right away for the ship bound for Argentina?
(a) There's a storm coming.
(b) He doesn't want to miss out on his mother's cooking.
(c) He's sick.
(d) His car won't start.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Andrew say he's going to turn the farm into during Act 2, Scene 2?
2. What does Andrew ask Ruth for in the last scene of the play?
3. Who dies in the Mayo family after Andrew goes away?
4. What does Robert hear calling him from the horizon at the end of the play?
5. What does Andrew say he'll do to help Robert in Act 3, Scene 1?
This section contains 446 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)