|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why can't Ruth and Robert send a telegraph to Andrew?
(a) They can't afford it.
(b) They don't know how to send a telegraph.
(c) They don't know where the telegraph office is.
(d) They can't think of what to say.
2. What phrase does Ruth use to describe Robert's state of mind right before he died?
(a) He was so happy.
(b) He was so bereft.
(c) He was so fearful.
(d) He was so nervous.
3. What makes Captain Scott get out of breath in Act 2, Scene 2?
(a) Walking up the hill.
4. What does Robert see rising from the rim of the hills at the end of the play?
(b) The sun.
(d) The moon.
5. What are the last words spoken in Act 3, Scene 1?
(a) "Let's hope to God--."
(c) "Be Well."
(d) "So long."
6. Who does Mary announce is coming to the hilltop at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 2?
(a) Uncle Dick.
(b) Mrs. Mayo.
(c) Her mother.
(d) A man.
7. Who is thin and unhealthy looking in Act 3?
(a) Dr. Fawcett.
(b) Mrs. Atkins.
8. How is the apple tree at the beginning of Act 3, Scene 2 described?
(a) In full bloom.
(b) Filled with apples.
(d) Leafless and seems dead.
9. Who says "It's a free beginning--the start of my voyage?"
(b) Uncle Dick.
10. What does Andrew tell Ruth about his finances?
(a) He invested wisely in New York.
(b) He's a millionaire.
(c) He's not a rich man and lost most of his money gambling.
(d) He has a million dollars put aside for the farm.
11. What is the setting of the last scene in the play?
(d) Section of country highway.
12. What job is Andrew going to have on the ship bound for Argentina?
(d) Second officer.
13. Why does Ruth tremble in fright when she steps inside Robert's bedroom?
(a) He is gone.
(b) He is unconscious.
(c) He is dead.
(d) He is breaking things in the room.
14. Why does Robert feel happy at last in Act 3, Scene 3?
(a) He is free two wander eternally.
(b) He feels better.
(c) He just got a new book.
(d) He has more money.
15. What noise comes from Robert's throat in Scene 3, Act 2?
(a) A chuckle.
(b) Rattling noise.
(c) A song.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the very last scene, Andrew tells Ruth they must:
2. What does Ruth tell Andrew he must realize about her after Robert has died?
3. Who says he doesn't believe in miracles after Andrew arrives from New York?
4. Who cradles Robert's head in her lap?
5. What is wrong with the curtains in the sitting room in Act 3?
This section contains 474 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)