|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why can't Ruth and Robert send a telegraph to Andrew?
(a) They can't think of what to say.
(b) They don't know how to send a telegraph.
(c) They can't afford it.
(d) They don't know where the telegraph office is.
2. What disease does Robert say he has?
(d) High blood pressure.
3. Who says "It's a free beginning--the start of my voyage?"
(b) Uncle Dick.
4. What does Ruth tell Andrew he must realize about her after Robert has died?
(a) She is an expert at religious questions.
(b) Her experience as a cook.
(c) That she has suffered too.
(d) Her maiden name.
5. What does Robert believe the rising sun is a symbol of?
(a) A hot day.
(d) Good fortune.
6. How is the apple tree at the beginning of Act 3, Scene 2 described?
(a) Filled with apples.
(b) Leafless and seems dead.
(d) In full bloom.
7. How many telegrams did Ruth and Robert receive from Andrew in New York?
8. What does Robert say about Ruth at the end of the play?
(a) She can live with her mother.
(b) She is mean.
(c) She has suffered.
(d) She doesn't need anyone.
9. What does Andrew say that Argentina has?
(a) Excellent wines.
(b) Good food.
(c) Beautiful beaches.
10. In Act 3, scene 1, what does Robert say Andrew has been doing for the last eight years?
(a) Having fun.
(c) Learning to paint.
(d) Running away from himself.
11. What does Robert see rising from the rim of the hills at the end of the play?
(b) The sun.
(c) The moon.
12. What does Andrew want to talk with Robert about at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 2?
(a) The weather.
(b) The dinner menu.
(c) His desire to go to college.
(d) The state of the farm.
13. What does Robert hear calling him from the horizon at the end of the play?
(a) His neighbor.
(b) The old voices.
(c) The sheep.
(d) Mrs. Atkins.
14. What does Andrew say he's going to turn the farm into during Act 2, Scene 2?
(a) The crackiest place in the whole state.
(b) A zoo.
(c) A biology center.
(d) An animal clinic.
15. What does Andrew tell Ruth about his finances?
(a) He's not a rich man and lost most of his money gambling.
(b) He's a millionaire.
(c) He has a million dollars put aside for the farm.
(d) He invested wisely in New York.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Captain Scott get out of breath in Act 2, Scene 2?
2. Whose mind is described as "sinking back into that spent calm beyond the further troubling of any hope"?
3. What does Andrew do immediately after Robert has died?
4. Who is the last person to leave the stage at the end of Act 2, Scene 2?
5. What tone of voice does Andrew use to speak to Ruth after Robert has died?
This section contains 478 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)