|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is the apple tree at the beginning of Act 3, Scene 2 described?
(a) In full bloom.
(b) Filled with apples.
(c) Leafless and seems dead.
2. Who is furious with Ruth when Robert is shut up in the bedroom?
(a) Mrs. Atkins.
(d) The specialist.
3. What does Andrew look like at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 2?
4. What is the setting of Act 2, Scene 2?
(d) Top of a hill.
5. How does Ruth speak when she says "I'll go" and walks slowly toward the bedroom?
6. What does Andrew tell Ruth about his love for her in the past?
(a) It was just "silly nonsense."
(b) It was the most important thing in his life.
(c) He doesn't know what to call it.
(d) He hopes he can rekindle the flame.
7. What kind of business does Andrew want to get into in Argentina?
(c) Grain business.
(d) Ship building.
8. Whose mind is described as "sinking back into that spent calm beyond the further troubling of any hope"?
(c) Uncle Dick's.
9. What does Andrew want to talk with Robert about at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 2?
(a) The weather.
(b) His desire to go to college.
(c) The dinner menu.
(d) The state of the farm.
10. What does Robert suggest that Andrew avoids telling Ruth when they are talking on the hilltop?
(a) That he will always love her.
(b) That he wants her to be his wife.
(c) That he hopes she will return to Argentina with him.
(d) That he doesn't love her.
11. What meal is Kate cooking in honor of Andrew's visit?
12. What job is Andrew going to have on the ship bound for Argentina?
(d) Second officer.
13. What does Andrew say he'll do to help Robert in Act 3, Scene 1?
(a) Buy him some new books.
(b) Write a letter of recommendation.
(c) Get him some water.
(d) Stay at the farm.
14. What are the last words spoken in Act 3, Scene 1?
(b) "Be Well."
(c) "Let's hope to God--."
(d) "So long."
15. What is Robert sitting on while he's on the hilltop with Mary, gazing at the horizon?
Short Answer Questions
1. What time of day is it at the beginning of Act 3, Scene 2?
2. What is the "El Paso?"
3. What does Andrew's rage change to at the end of the play when he is speaking to Ruth?
4. What is the medical specialist's name?
5. What noise comes from Robert's throat in Scene 3, Act 2?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)