|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the last word Robert says in the play?
(a) "The truth."
(c) "Play fair."
2. What does Andrew say to Robert about the death of his father?
(a) It cuts him up a lot.
(b) He doesn't have any feelings about it.
(c) He is still mad at him.
(d) He has to see a therapist.
3. Who strokes Mary's hair before they walk down from the hilltop to the house for dinner?
(d) Uncle Dick.
4. What does Ruth tell Andrew he must realize about her after Robert has died?
(a) She is an expert at religious questions.
(b) Her experience as a cook.
(c) That she has suffered too.
(d) Her maiden name.
5. What does Ruth tell Robert when she goes up to the hilltop?
(a) He is needed at a town meeting.
(b) He has an important telephone call.
(c) Uncle Dick wants to speak with him.
(d) The hired hand wants to speak to him.
6. What item does Andrew grab before he leaves the house in Act 3, Scene 1?
(a) His appointment book.
(b) His gloves.
(c) His hat.
(d) His cane.
7. What does Ruth use to wipe Robert's lips after his coughing fit?
(a) Her petticoat.
(c) Her sleeve.
(d) His tie.
8. What meal is Kate cooking in honor of Andrew's visit?
9. Why does Andrew call Ruth a murderess?
(a) She killed her mother.
(b) She killed her dog.
(c) She killed her father.
(d) He blames her for Robert's death.
10. Who calls Ruth a "mad fool" as Robert is sick in bed?
(b) Mrs. Atkins.
(d) The specialist.
11. When Robert says to Ruth that he wants to start over again and move to the city, what profession does he want to take up?
12. What does Andrew try and convince Ruth to do because he thinks she owes Robert?
(a) Knit him a scarf.
(c) Write a letter for him.
(d) Make a cake.
13. What promise does Andrew make to Robert at the end of the play?
(a) That he will take care of Ruth.
(b) To try and write poetry.
(c) To give his books to the library.
(d) To read Robert's journals.
14. What tone of voice does Andrew use to speak to Ruth after Robert has died?
(a) A sad tone.
(b) A furious tone.
(c) A critical tone.
(d) A happy tone.
15. What does Andrew look like at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 2?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Andrew say he's going to turn the farm into during Act 2, Scene 2?
2. What does Robert say he feels like he's been cooped up in all his life?
3. How does Ruth speak when she says "I'll go" and walks slowly toward the bedroom?
4. What color dress is Ruth wearing in Act 3, Scene 1?
5. What is Andrew smoking in Act 3, Scene 2?
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)