|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Robert see rising from the rim of the hills at the end of the play?
(c) The moon.
(d) The sun.
2. What does Robert stumble into at the end of the play?
3. What does Andrew look like at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 2?
4. What time is the train to New York City that the specialist travels on?
(a) 6 a.m.
(b) 9 p.m.
(c) 2 p.m.
(d) 12 p.m.
5. What is the setting of the last scene in the play?
(c) Section of country highway.
6. What is the setting of Act 2, Scene 2?
(a) Top of a hill.
7. What does Andrew tell Ruth about his finances?
(a) He's not a rich man and lost most of his money gambling.
(b) He's a millionaire.
(c) He has a million dollars put aside for the farm.
(d) He invested wisely in New York.
8. What does Robert say about Ruth at the end of the play?
(a) She is mean.
(b) She can live with her mother.
(c) She doesn't need anyone.
(d) She has suffered.
9. What is wrong with the curtains in the sitting room in Act 3?
(a) They are the wrong color.
(b) They are torn and dirty.
(c) They are gone.
(d) They are new and wrinkled.
10. What is the medical specialist's name?
(a) Mr. Smith.
(b) Mrs. Ramsey.
(c) Dr. Fawcett.
(d) Mr. Green.
11. Who tells Andrew that the inside of Robert's lungs are bad?
(a) Mrs. Mayo.
(c) Mrs. Atkins.
12. Who strokes Mary's hair before they walk down from the hilltop to the house for dinner?
(c) Uncle Dick.
13. What weather event does Andrew live through on the ship?
(a) Snow storm.
(b) Ice storm.
(d) Dry hot days.
14. Why doesn't Andrew leave right away for the ship bound for Argentina?
(a) His car won't start.
(b) He doesn't want to miss out on his mother's cooking.
(c) There's a storm coming.
(d) He's sick.
15. Who calls Ruth a "mad fool" as Robert is sick in bed?
(a) Mrs. Atkins.
(c) The specialist.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 3, scene 1, what does Robert say Andrew has been doing for the last eight years?
2. What does Mary notice about her mother at the end of Act 2, Scene 2?
3. What meal is Kate cooking in honor of Andrew's visit?
4. What does Ruth tell Robert when she goes up to the hilltop?
5. What does Robert say he feels like he's been cooped up in all his life?
This section contains 457 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)