|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What promise does Andrew make to Robert at the end of the play?
(a) To read Robert's journals.
(b) That he will take care of Ruth.
(c) To give his books to the library.
(d) To try and write poetry.
2. How is the apple tree at the beginning of Act 3, Scene 2 described?
(a) Leafless and seems dead.
(c) Filled with apples.
(d) In full bloom.
3. What is Robert sitting on while he's on the hilltop with Mary, gazing at the horizon?
4. Who says I wouldn't "know how to feel love, even if I tried" in Act 3, Scene 1?
(b) Mrs. Atkins.
5. What color dress is Ruth wearing in Act 3, Scene 1?
6. Who says he won't come back with "empty hands next time?"
(c) Uncle Dick.
(d) Captain Scott.
7. What noise comes from Robert's throat in Scene 3, Act 2?
(a) A song.
(c) Rattling noise.
(d) A chuckle.
8. What is the last word Robert says in the play?
(a) "Play fair."
(b) "The truth."
9. What weather event does Andrew live through on the ship?
(a) Snow storm.
(b) Dry hot days.
(c) Ice storm.
10. Whose mind is described as "sinking back into that spent calm beyond the further troubling of any hope"?
(c) Uncle Dick's.
11. Why does Ruth tremble in fright when she steps inside Robert's bedroom?
(a) He is dead.
(b) He is gone.
(c) He is unconscious.
(d) He is breaking things in the room.
12. What is Uncle Dick tending in the port while Andrew is on the hilltop?
13. Who dies in the Mayo family after Andrew goes away?
(d) Kate and Mary.
14. What does Robert want Andrew to promise in Act 3, Scene 1?
(a) To marry Ruth.
(b) To stay at the farm.
(c) To mow the grass.
(d) To read more books.
15. What is the setting of the last scene in the play?
(a) Section of country highway.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ruth say she feels like she's having in honor of Andrew's visit?
2. What is Andrew smoking in Act 3, Scene 2?
3. What does Ruth use to wipe Robert's lips after his coughing fit?
4. What does Robert stumble into at the end of the play?
5. What is open in the bedroom when Ruth goes in to talk with Robert?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)