|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the setting of Act 2, Scene 2?
(a) Top of a hill.
2. How does Ruth speak when she says "I'll go" and walks slowly toward the bedroom?
3. What tone of voice does Ruth use when she says "Come on and I'll get your dinner for you" at the end of Act 2?
4. Why can't Ruth and Robert send a telegraph to Andrew?
(a) They can't afford it.
(b) They don't know how to send a telegraph.
(c) They can't think of what to say.
(d) They don't know where the telegraph office is.
5. Who calls Ruth a "mad fool" as Robert is sick in bed?
(b) Mrs. Atkins.
(d) The specialist.
6. What does Andrew place over Robert's heart at the end of the play?
(a) Ruth's handkerchief.
(b) Robert's favorite blanket.
(c) A sheet.
(d) His hand.
7. What does Robert want Andrew to promise in Act 3, Scene 1?
(a) To stay at the farm.
(b) To mow the grass.
(c) To read more books.
(d) To marry Ruth.
8. What does Ruth cover her face with after Robert dies?
(b) Her hands.
(d) Andrew's coat.
9. Who is dressed in white and looks pretty and fresh in Act 2, Scene 1?
(b) Mrs. Mayo.
(c) Mrs. Atkins.
10. What does Andrew say that Argentina has?
(b) Excellent wines.
(c) Good food.
(d) Beautiful beaches.
11. Who tells Andrew that the inside of Robert's lungs are bad?
(c) Mrs. Mayo.
(d) Mrs. Atkins.
12. What does Andrew try and convince Ruth to do because he thinks she owes Robert?
(a) Write a letter for him.
(b) Make a cake.
(c) Knit him a scarf.
13. What makes Captain Scott get out of breath in Act 2, Scene 2?
(b) Walking up the hill.
14. What does Andrew say he'll do to help Robert in Act 3, Scene 1?
(a) Write a letter of recommendation.
(b) Get him some water.
(c) Stay at the farm.
(d) Buy him some new books.
15. What does Andrew ask Ruth for in the last scene of the play?
(a) A smile.
(b) A warm hug.
(c) A photograph of Robert.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary notice about her mother at the end of Act 2, Scene 2?
2. What does Robert hear calling him from the horizon at the end of the play?
3. What is open in the bedroom when Ruth goes in to talk with Robert?
4. What is the setting of the last scene in the play?
5. What time of day is it at the beginning of Act 3, Scene 2?
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)