|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Andrew check on after dinner when he leaves the sitting room?
(a) The chickens.
(b) The black cow.
(c) His laundry.
2. Who describes Robert as a loafer and stupid?
(a) Mrs. Mayo.
3. What is his mother's reaction when Robert tells his family about him and Ruth?
(c) Relief that Robert is not going on the voyage.
4. What does Robert say to Ruth about why he has to leave?
(a) He hates being around his dad.
(b) The farm is too small a world.
(c) He wants to get away from her.
(d) He is in love with her.
5. Who says that Robert "tells things so beautifully?"
(b) Mrs. Mayo.
(d) Uncle Dick.
6. What is Dick Scott's title?
7. What is the setting of Act I, Scene I?
(a) The side of the road at twilight.
8. How does Ruth respond when Robert says that Andrew writes letters like a farmer in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) She tears up Andrew's letter.
(b) She laughs and teases Robert.
(c) Robert should not make fun of Andrew.
(d) She agrees with Robert's impression.
9. What sound does Mary make in the bedroom while her parents are fighting?
10. What does Ruth say would happen to her if Robert leaves?
(a) She would join a church group.
(b) Her heart would break.
(c) She would forget him.
(d) She would follow him.
11. What is Mr. Mayo's opinion of Andrew of at the end of Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) He is the best choice for the job.
(b) He doesn't love his mother.
(c) He's a liar and mean.
(d) He hopes to see him soon.
12. What does Mr. Mayo threaten to do to Andrew if he finds him still at home in the morning?
(a) Make a new plan.
(b) Hug him.
(c) Throw him out.
(d) Give him breakfast.
13. Why does Robert bring up Uncle Dick's name when he's talking with Ruth in Act 1, Scene 1?
(a) He says he doesn't like him.
(b) He wants her to interview him.
(c) He's worried about disappointing him.
(d) He wonders if she's met him.
14. How does Mr. Mayo respond when Andrew says he wants to see the world?
(a) Andrew is running away from his own nature.
(b) Have fun.
(c) Write back and tell us everything.
(d) Good luck.
15. Who says "I've earned my right to quit when I want to?"
(c) Mr. Mayo.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is knitting at the beginning of Act 2?
2. Why does Ruth accuse Robert of being jealous of Andrew?
3. How long will Robert be at sea?
4. In what month is the beginning of the play set?
5. What is Robert late for in Act 2, Scene 1?
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)