|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Andrew check on after dinner when he leaves the sitting room?
(a) His laundry.
(b) The chickens.
(d) The black cow.
2. What job does Mrs. Mayo at one time hold?
3. What does Robert plan to do to keep the family afloat until harvest time?
(a) Borrow money from Andrew.
(b) Raise prices for their potatoes.
(c) Mortgage the farm.
(d) Sell off an acre of the farm.
4. Who says "I've earned my right to quit when I want to?"
(c) Mr. Mayo.
5. What does Ruth say would happen to her if Robert leaves?
(a) She would join a church group.
(b) Her heart would break.
(c) She would forget him.
(d) She would follow him.
6. What excuse does Ruth use as the reason she has to stay on the farm?
(a) Her mother.
(c) Her father.
7. Who has lost her fresh appearance at the beginning of Act 2?
(a) Mrs. Atkins.
8. What does Robert tell his father about the farm after he says he's not going on the voyage?
(a) He will take a real interest in it and do his share.
(b) He's a poet and doesn't want to dirty his hands.
(c) He will never work the farm.
(d) He has a plan for a new crop.
9. Who says the hills around the farm feel like a prison?
10. What does Andrew say from offstage at the end of Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) Where are you?
(b) Anyone home?
(d) What's going on?
11. How does Mr. Mayo respond when Andrew says he wants to see the world?
(a) Good luck.
(b) Have fun.
(c) Andrew is running away from his own nature.
(d) Write back and tell us everything.
12. How long will Robert be at sea?
(a) Twelve years.
(b) One year.
(c) Three years.
(d) Six years.
13. Why does Ruth accuse Robert of being jealous of Andrew?
(a) Becuase he has better hair.
(b) Because Andrew has made a man of himself.
(c) Because he is taller.
(d) Because he is older.
14. What kind of work does Andrew say he likes to do in Act 1, Scene 1?
(a) Tax Preparation.
(d) Take care of the family farm.
15. Where does Robert bring Mrs. Atkins after dinner?
(a) Furniture store.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Ruth say she loves at the end of Act 2, Scene 1?
2. What does Robert point to in the sky at the end of the Act 1, Scene1?
3. How old is Ruth?
4. Who says "We'll be late for supper, Rob?"
5. What kind of luck does Robert say he's been having?
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)