|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Mayo say that Ruth acted like at dinner with the Mayo family and Uncle Dick?
(c) Flustered and giggly.
(d) Calm and relaxed.
2. How does Mr. Mayo describe Robert's farming abilities?
(a) He's can milk the cows.
(b) He's a great farmer.
(c) He was never cut out to be a farmer.
(d) He has good ideas.
3. What does Dick Scott fix up on his ship for Robert?
(c) Dining room.
(d) Reading room.
4. What does Robert plan to do to keep the family afloat until harvest time?
(a) Sell off an acre of the farm.
(b) Raise prices for their potatoes.
(c) Borrow money from Andrew.
(d) Mortgage the farm.
5. Why does Ruth complain about her mother to Robert at the beginning of the play?
(a) She likes to be alone.
(b) She doesn't like to talk.
(c) She nags Ruth.
(d) She is too happy.
6. What is Robert late for in Act 2, Scene 1?
7. What does the main room of the farmhouse look like in Act 2?
(a) Newly painted.
(b) All new furniture.
(d) Shabby and untidy.
8. What does Andrew say is not part of Robert's nature when he is talking with him at the fence?
(a) Book reading.
(b) Plowing and farming.
9. What does Ruth tell Robert about her feelings for Andrew?
(a) She was just pretending.
(b) She'll always want to be with him.
(c) She loves him.
(d) She doesn't love him.
10. What job does Mrs. Mayo at one time hold?
11. What noise does Robert and Ruth hear from outside after they've had their terrible fight?
(a) Mary talking to her doll.
(b) Mrs. Atkins arguing.
(c) Mrs. Mayo singing.
(d) A horse and carriage on the road.
12. Who is joining the Mayo family for dinner at the beginning of the play?
(a) Ruth and her mother.
(c) Uncle Matthew.
13. What does Robert think the secret is to what he has been seeking at the beginning of the play?
14. What does Mrs. Atkins use in order to move around?
15. In what month is the beginning of the play set?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Andrew check on after dinner when he leaves the sitting room?
2. What is Ben's job?
3. What is his mother's reaction when Robert tells his family about him and Ruth?
4. What does Mrs. Mayo say her husband died of?
5. What kind of work does Andrew say he likes to do in Act 1, Scene 1?
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)