|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is his mother's reaction when Robert tells his family about him and Ruth?
(d) Relief that Robert is not going on the voyage.
2. Who places himself between Mr. Mayo and Andrew when Mr. Mayo threatens to hit Andrew?
(a) Mrs. Mayo.
(b) Mrs. Atkins.
3. What does the main room of the farmhouse look like in Act 2?
(b) All new furniture.
(c) Newly painted.
(d) Shabby and untidy.
4. What does Andrew suggest his father do to get more help on the farm?
(a) Hire two men.
(b) Work harder.
(c) Buy new equipment.
(d) Hire a man.
5. Who is Andrew?
(a) Robert's older brother.
(b) Robert's cousin.
(c) Robert's younger brother.
(d) Robert's twin.
6. What does Mrs. Mayo say her husband died of?
(b) Stubbornness and a broken heart.
(c) Heart attack.
(d) Old age.
7. Who is joining the Mayo family for dinner at the beginning of the play?
(a) Uncle Matthew.
(b) Ruth and her mother.
8. What does Andrew tell Dick Scott he will do at the end of Act I, Scene II?
(a) Take Robert's place on the voyage.
(b) Go to college.
(c) Work on another ship.
(d) Find another farm to work on.
9. What does Robert point to in the sky at the end of the Act 1, Scene1?
(c) Meteor shower.
10. What does Andrew say is not part of Robert's nature when he is talking with him at the fence?
(b) Plowing and farming.
(d) Book reading.
11. What is the weather at the beginning of Act 2?
12. What is Mrs. Atkins first name?
13. What is the name that Robert's daughter calls him?
14. What is Ruth reading when Robert comes in and watches her without her knowing in Act 2?
(c) History book.
(d) A letter from Andrew.
15. Who does Ruth say she loves at the end of Act 2, Scene 1?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Robert do after he lifts Ruth into his arms in Act 1, Scene 1?
2. Where is Andrew when Robert tells his family that he loves Ruth?
3. Who says to Robert "I didn't want to spoil this last night you're here?"
4. What kind of luck does Robert say he's been having?
5. What does Robert tell his father about the farm after he says he's not going on the voyage?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)