|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who says that Robert "tells things so beautifully?"
(a) Uncle Dick.
(d) Mrs. Mayo.
2. What does Mrs. Mayo say that Ruth acted like at dinner with the Mayo family and Uncle Dick?
(b) Calm and relaxed.
(c) Flustered and giggly.
3. In what month is the beginning of the play set?
4. What is Dick Scott's title?
5. What charms Ruth about Robert's voice when he's telling the dreams of his childhood?
(a) His British accent.
(b) Its high-pitched quality.
(c) Its low, musical sound.
(d) His gruff sound.
6. What does Ruth tell Robert about her feelings for Andrew?
(a) She'll always want to be with him.
(b) She doesn't love him.
(c) She loves him.
(d) She was just pretending.
7. Who says the hills around the farm feel like a prison?
8. What does Robert plan to do to keep the family afloat until harvest time?
(a) Borrow money from Andrew.
(b) Sell off an acre of the farm.
(c) Raise prices for their potatoes.
(d) Mortgage the farm.
9. What does Andrew tell Dick Scott he will do at the end of Act I, Scene II?
(a) Find another farm to work on.
(b) Work on another ship.
(c) Go to college.
(d) Take Robert's place on the voyage.
10. Who does Ruth say she loves at the end of Act 2, Scene 1?
11. How long will Robert be at sea?
(a) Twelve years.
(b) Three years.
(c) Six years.
(d) One year.
12. What sound does Mary make in the bedroom while her parents are fighting?
13. What does Andrew tell his parents about Robert's perspective on the sea voyage?
(a) Robert doesn't want to go on the voyage.
(b) Robert is too scared to go.
(c) Robert resents having to go.
(d) Robert is set on going on the voyage.
14. Who says to Robert "I didn't want to spoil this last night you're here?"
(a) Mrs. Atkins.
(b) His mother.
15. What does Uncle Dick say to Andrew about the way he spoke up to his father in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) "You were tough on him."
(b) "You're rude."
(c) "You certainly put him in his place."
(d) "I like your spirit."
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mrs. Atkins first name?
2. What is the weather at the beginning of Act 2?
3. What does Robert gently pull away from Ruth's face when he's talking with her by the fence?
4. Who says "I feel--dead" at the end of Act I, Scene 2?
5. Where does Robert bring Mrs. Atkins after dinner?
This section contains 427 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)