|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ruth tell Robert about her feelings for Andrew?
(a) She'll always want to be with him.
(b) She was just pretending.
(c) She doesn't love him.
(d) She loves him.
2. What color is Dick Scott's mustache?
3. What does Mrs. Mayo say in Act 2, Scene1 to defend Robert against Mrs. Atkins' criticisms?
(a) He works hard.
(b) He's better than they are.
(c) He is always on time.
(d) He has enough money.
4. What does Robert say to Ruth about why he has to leave?
(a) He hates being around his dad.
(b) He wants to get away from her.
(c) The farm is too small a world.
(d) He is in love with her.
5. What kind of work does Andrew say he likes to do in Act 1, Scene 1?
(a) Take care of the family farm.
(b) Tax Preparation.
6. What is Andrew's job on the ship?
(a) Deck hand.
(c) Head officer.
(d) Deck swabber.
7. What does Dick Scott fix up on his ship for Robert?
(a) Reading room.
(d) Dining room.
8. Who is joining the Mayo family for dinner at the beginning of the play?
(b) Uncle Matthew.
(c) Ruth and her mother.
9. What does Andrew say when he learns that Ruth loves Robert?
(a) He says nothing.
(b) "I knew it!"
(c) He curses them.
(d) "Good luck to you both."
10. What is Mr. Mayo's opinion of Andrew of at the end of Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) He's a liar and mean.
(b) He is the best choice for the job.
(c) He doesn't love his mother.
(d) He hopes to see him soon.
11. What does the woman from the missionary ask Dick Scott?
(a) What time it is.
(b) Where seagulls sleep at night.
(c) His first name.
12. What is one opportunity that Andrew says Robert will have by going on the sea voyage?
(a) More time to study biology.
(b) Learn how to cook.
(c) Volunteer work.
(d) He'll make money.
13. What does Robert think the secret is to what he has been seeking at the beginning of the play?
14. How does Mr. Mayo respond when Andrew says he wants to see the world?
(a) Write back and tell us everything.
(b) Andrew is running away from his own nature.
(c) Good luck.
(d) Have fun.
15. Who says "I feel--dead" at the end of Act I, Scene 2?
(a) Uncle Dick.
(b) Mr. Mayo.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the child want to play with at the beginning of Act 2?
2. How does Ruth respond when Robert says that Andrew writes letters like a farmer in Act 2, Scene 1?
3. What does Mrs. Mayo say about Ruth and Andrew?
4. Who says that Ruth came to her for advice about managing the farm?
5. When does Robert tell his family that he loves Ruth?
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)