|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is joining the Mayo family for dinner at the beginning of the play?
(a) Ruth and her mother.
(d) Uncle Matthew.
2. What does Andrew say is not part of Robert's nature when he is talking with him at the fence?
(c) Book reading.
(d) Plowing and farming.
3. Who is laughing at Ben?
(b) Farmers and farmhands.
4. What does the woman from the missionary ask Dick Scott?
(b) Where seagulls sleep at night.
(c) What time it is.
(d) His first name.
5. What does Robert think the secret is to what he has been seeking at the beginning of the play?
6. What does Andrew tell Dick Scott he will do at the end of Act I, Scene II?
(a) Take Robert's place on the voyage.
(b) Work on another ship.
(c) Find another farm to work on.
(d) Go to college.
7. What does the main room of the farmhouse look like in Act 2?
(a) Shabby and untidy.
(b) All new furniture.
(c) Newly painted.
8. Who says the hills around the farm feel like a prison?
9. What does Mrs. Mayo say in Act 2, Scene1 to defend Robert against Mrs. Atkins' criticisms?
(a) He works hard.
(b) He's better than they are.
(c) He has enough money.
(d) He is always on time.
10. How does Mr. Mayo describe Robert's farming abilities?
(a) He's can milk the cows.
(b) He's a great farmer.
(c) He was never cut out to be a farmer.
(d) He has good ideas.
11. What does Robert point to in the sky at the end of the Act 1, Scene1?
(a) Meteor shower.
12. What is Andrew's job on the ship?
(a) Deck hand.
(c) Head officer.
(d) Deck swabber.
13. Who is knitting at the beginning of Act 2?
(a) Mrs. Scott.
(b) Mrs. Atkins.
14. What sound does Mary make in the bedroom while her parents are fighting?
15. Who says "I feel--dead" at the end of Act I, Scene 2?
(a) Uncle Dick.
(b) Mr. Mayo.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Uncle Dick say to Andrew about the way he spoke up to his father in Act 1, Scene 2?
2. What does Mrs. Atkins use in order to move around?
3. What does Mrs. Mayo say her husband died of?
4. What is Ben's job?
5. What does Mrs. Mayo say about Ruth and Andrew?
This section contains 426 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)