|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Andrew?
(a) Robert's older brother.
(b) Robert's younger brother.
(c) Robert's cousin.
(d) Robert's twin.
2. What does Andrew check on after dinner when he leaves the sitting room?
(a) The chickens.
(b) His laundry.
(d) The black cow.
3. How old is Ruth?
(c) Late thirties.
(d) Early twenties.
4. What does Ben say will happen if he doesn't get paid when Robert gets back from town?
(a) He can't wait.
(b) He'll come back next week.
(c) There will be trouble.
(d) He is fine with the money he has.
5. What does Robert plan to do to keep the family afloat until harvest time?
(a) Raise prices for their potatoes.
(b) Mortgage the farm.
(c) Borrow money from Andrew.
(d) Sell off an acre of the farm.
6. What does Andrew suggest his father do to get more help on the farm?
(a) Work harder.
(b) Hire two men.
(c) Buy new equipment.
(d) Hire a man.
7. Who says "I've earned my right to quit when I want to?"
(a) Mr. Mayo.
8. Who says "We'll be late for supper, Rob?"
(c) Ruth's mother.
9. What is the name that Robert's daughter calls him?
10. What does Robert say to Ruth about why he has to leave?
(a) He wants to get away from her.
(b) He is in love with her.
(c) He hates being around his dad.
(d) The farm is too small a world.
11. What does Andrew say from offstage at the end of Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) What's going on?
(b) Anyone home?
(d) Where are you?
12. What does Robert gently pull away from Ruth's face when he's talking with her by the fence?
(a) A veil.
(b) A bandana.
(c) A bandaid.
(d) One of her hands.
13. How does Mr. Mayo respond when Andrew says he wants to see the world?
(a) Write back and tell us everything.
(b) Have fun.
(c) Andrew is running away from his own nature.
(d) Good luck.
14. What experience did Robert have as a child that he tells Ruth about in Act 1, Scene 1?
(a) He and his dad liked to play checkers.
(b) He loved to color.
(c) He and his mother went ice skating.
(d) He was a sickly child.
15. What does Robert tell his father about the farm after he says he's not going on the voyage?
(a) He's a poet and doesn't want to dirty his hands.
(b) He will never work the farm.
(c) He will take a real interest in it and do his share.
(d) He has a plan for a new crop.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says that Ruth came to her for advice about managing the farm?
2. What sound does Mary make in the bedroom while her parents are fighting?
3. What does Mrs. Atkins use in order to move around?
4. Why does Robert bring up Uncle Dick's name when he's talking with Ruth in Act 1, Scene 1?
5. What is Robert doing instead of eating his meal in Act 2, Scene 1?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)