|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who places himself between Mr. Mayo and Andrew when Mr. Mayo threatens to hit Andrew?
(a) Mrs. Atkins.
(d) Mrs. Mayo.
2. What is the relationship between Mrs. Mayo and Dick Scott?
(c) Sister and brother.
3. What does Mrs. Mayo say in Act 2, Scene1 to defend Robert against Mrs. Atkins' criticisms?
(a) He works hard.
(b) He has enough money.
(c) He's better than they are.
(d) He is always on time.
4. What is the weather at the beginning of Act 2?
5. What does Mrs. Mayo say about Ruth and Andrew?
(a) They tell funny jokes.
(b) They are foolish.
(c) They'd make a nice couple.
(d) That Ruth doesn't love him.
6. Who says that Ruth came to her for advice about managing the farm?
(a) Mrs. Mayo.
(b) Mrs. Atkins.
7. Who says "Oh, Ruth, our love is sweeter than any distant dream?"
8. Who says the hills around the farm feel like a prison?
9. Why does Ruth accuse Robert of being jealous of Andrew?
(a) Becuase he has better hair.
(b) Because Andrew has made a man of himself.
(c) Because he is taller.
(d) Because he is older.
10. What does Andrew say from offstage at the end of Act 2, Scene 1?
(b) Where are you?
(c) What's going on?
(d) Anyone home?
11. How old is Ruth?
(c) Early twenties.
(d) Late thirties.
12. Who is joining the Mayo family for dinner at the beginning of the play?
(b) Ruth and her mother.
(c) Uncle Matthew.
13. Who is laughing at Ben?
(b) Farmers and farmhands.
14. What does Andrew tell Dick Scott he will do at the end of Act I, Scene II?
(a) Find another farm to work on.
(b) Work on another ship.
(c) Take Robert's place on the voyage.
(d) Go to college.
15. What does Robert point to in the sky at the end of the Act 1, Scene1?
(d) Meteor shower.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mrs. Atkins first name?
2. What is his mother's reaction when Robert tells his family about him and Ruth?
3. What does Uncle Dick say to Andrew about the way he spoke up to his father in Act 1, Scene 2?
4. Who has lost her fresh appearance at the beginning of Act 2?
5. Where does Robert bring Mrs. Atkins after dinner?
This section contains 411 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)