|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who says that Robert "tells things so beautifully?"
(b) Mrs. Mayo.
(d) Uncle Dick.
2. What does Ben say is broken in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) The dishwasher.
(b) Mowing machine.
(c) The car.
(d) His hand.
3. What does Andrew say when he learns that Ruth loves Robert?
(a) "I knew it!"
(b) He says nothing.
(c) "Good luck to you both."
(d) He curses them.
4. What does Mr. Mayo tell Dick Scott he needs to find for his voyage?
(c) Hired hand.
5. How does Ruth respond when Robert says that Andrew writes letters like a farmer in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) She agrees with Robert's impression.
(b) She laughs and teases Robert.
(c) She tears up Andrew's letter.
(d) Robert should not make fun of Andrew.
6. Who says that Ruth came to her for advice about managing the farm?
(c) Mrs. Atkins.
(d) Mrs. Mayo.
7. What does Andrew suggest his father do to get more help on the farm?
(a) Hire a man.
(b) Work harder.
(c) Hire two men.
(d) Buy new equipment.
8. What sound does Mary make in the bedroom while her parents are fighting?
9. What color is Dick Scott's mustache?
10. Why does Ruth accuse Robert of being jealous of Andrew?
(a) Because he is older.
(b) Because he is taller.
(c) Becuase he has better hair.
(d) Because Andrew has made a man of himself.
11. What does Robert do after he lifts Ruth into his arms in Act 1, Scene 1?
(a) Carries her to the road.
(b) Puts her on a bicycle.
(c) Runs away with her.
(d) Places her in a car.
12. What does Ruth tell Robert about her feelings for Andrew?
(a) She'll always want to be with him.
(b) She doesn't love him.
(c) She was just pretending.
(d) She loves him.
13. What does Robert plan to do to keep the family afloat until harvest time?
(a) Sell off an acre of the farm.
(b) Mortgage the farm.
(c) Raise prices for their potatoes.
(d) Borrow money from Andrew.
14. What does the child want to play with at the beginning of Act 2?
(c) Stuffed animal.
15. What does Andrew tell Dick Scott he will do at the end of Act I, Scene II?
(a) Work on another ship.
(b) Go to college.
(c) Take Robert's place on the voyage.
(d) Find another farm to work on.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Andrew when Robert tells his family that he loves Ruth?
2. What is Mr. Mayo's opinion of Andrew of at the end of Act 1, Scene 2?
3. What does Ben say will happen if he doesn't get paid when Robert gets back from town?
4. What is his mother's reaction when Robert tells his family about him and Ruth?
5. What does Mrs. Mayo say her husband died of?
This section contains 501 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)