|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is laughing at Ben?
(a) Farmers and farmhands.
2. What does Robert plan to do to keep the family afloat until harvest time?
(a) Borrow money from Andrew.
(b) Sell off an acre of the farm.
(c) Mortgage the farm.
(d) Raise prices for their potatoes.
3. Who says "Oh, Ruth, our love is sweeter than any distant dream?"
4. What does Robert tell his father about the farm after he says he's not going on the voyage?
(a) He will never work the farm.
(b) He will take a real interest in it and do his share.
(c) He has a plan for a new crop.
(d) He's a poet and doesn't want to dirty his hands.
5. What does Mrs. Mayo say her husband died of?
(a) Old age.
(b) Stubbornness and a broken heart.
(c) Heart attack.
6. In what month is the beginning of the play set?
7. Who says "I feel--dead" at the end of Act I, Scene 2?
(a) Mr. Mayo.
(b) Uncle Dick.
8. Who places himself between Mr. Mayo and Andrew when Mr. Mayo threatens to hit Andrew?
(a) Mrs. Atkins.
(c) Mrs. Mayo.
9. What is Robert in search of during the sea voyage?
(c) Wide open spaces.
(d) Long lost cousin.
10. What does Andrew say is not part of Robert's nature when he is talking with him at the fence?
(a) Book reading.
(d) Plowing and farming.
11. What kind of work does Andrew say he likes to do in Act 1, Scene 1?
(a) Take care of the family farm.
(b) Tax Preparation.
12. Who is joining the Mayo family for dinner at the beginning of the play?
(c) Ruth and her mother.
(d) Uncle Matthew.
13. What kind of luck does Robert say he's been having?
(a) Bad luck.
(b) Wonderful luck.
(c) Good luck.
(d) He doesn't believe in luck.
14. Why does Robert bring up Uncle Dick's name when he's talking with Ruth in Act 1, Scene 1?
(a) He's worried about disappointing him.
(b) He wonders if she's met him.
(c) He says he doesn't like him.
(d) He wants her to interview him.
15. What is the name of Robert and Ruth's child?
Short Answer Questions
1. What job does Mrs. Mayo at one time hold?
2. What is Robert doing instead of eating his meal in Act 2, Scene 1?
3. What does Mr. Mayo threaten to do to Andrew if he finds him still at home in the morning?
4. What does Ruth tell Robert about her feelings for Andrew?
5. What does Ruth say would happen to her if Robert leaves?
This section contains 469 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)