|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Robert late for in Act 2, Scene 1?
2. What charms Ruth about Robert's voice when he's telling the dreams of his childhood?
(a) His British accent.
(b) Its high-pitched quality.
(c) Its low, musical sound.
(d) His gruff sound.
3. Who says "We'll be late for supper, Rob?"
(a) Ruth's mother.
4. What does Andrew check on after dinner when he leaves the sitting room?
(b) His laundry.
(c) The black cow.
(d) The chickens.
5. What is the name that Robert's daughter calls him?
6. What is his mother's reaction when Robert tells his family about him and Ruth?
(b) Relief that Robert is not going on the voyage.
7. Why does Ruth complain about her mother to Robert at the beginning of the play?
(a) She likes to be alone.
(b) She doesn't like to talk.
(c) She nags Ruth.
(d) She is too happy.
8. What does Robert tell his father about the farm after he says he's not going on the voyage?
(a) He's a poet and doesn't want to dirty his hands.
(b) He will never work the farm.
(c) He will take a real interest in it and do his share.
(d) He has a plan for a new crop.
9. What does Ben say is broken in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) Mowing machine.
(b) The dishwasher.
(c) His hand.
(d) The car.
10. How long will Robert be at sea?
(a) Twelve years.
(b) One year.
(c) Three years.
(d) Six years.
11. How old is Ruth?
(a) Early twenties.
(d) Late thirties.
12. Who says the hills around the farm feel like a prison?
13. What does Robert say to Ruth about why he has to leave?
(a) The farm is too small a world.
(b) He wants to get away from her.
(c) He hates being around his dad.
(d) He is in love with her.
14. Who says "Oh, Ruth, our love is sweeter than any distant dream?"
15. How does Ruth respond when Robert says that Andrew writes letters like a farmer in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) She tears up Andrew's letter.
(b) She agrees with Robert's impression.
(c) She laughs and teases Robert.
(d) Robert should not make fun of Andrew.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Andrew tell Dick Scott he will do at the end of Act I, Scene II?
2. Why does Ruth accuse Robert of being jealous of Andrew?
3. Robert says Ruth is mean and:
4. What does Ruth say would happen to her if Robert leaves?
5. What does Ruth tell Robert about her feelings for Andrew?
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)