|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Mrs. Atkins first name?
2. What does Mr. Mayo tell Dick Scott he needs to find for his voyage?
(a) Hired hand.
3. What job does Mrs. Mayo at one time hold?
4. What does Robert gently pull away from Ruth's face when he's talking with her by the fence?
(a) One of her hands.
(b) A bandaid.
(c) A veil.
(d) A bandana.
5. What does Andrew tell his parents about Robert's perspective on the sea voyage?
(a) Robert is too scared to go.
(b) Robert doesn't want to go on the voyage.
(c) Robert is set on going on the voyage.
(d) Robert resents having to go.
6. Who describes Robert as a loafer and stupid?
(c) Mrs. Mayo.
7. What does the main room of the farmhouse look like in Act 2?
(a) All new furniture.
(b) Newly painted.
(d) Shabby and untidy.
8. Who says to Robert "I didn't want to spoil this last night you're here?"
(c) His mother.
(d) Mrs. Atkins.
9. What does Uncle Dick say to Andrew about the way he spoke up to his father in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) "You certainly put him in his place."
(b) "I like your spirit."
(c) "You were tough on him."
(d) "You're rude."
10. Who says "Oh, Ruth, our love is sweeter than any distant dream?"
11. Who does Ruth say she loves at the end of Act 2, Scene 1?
12. What does Andrew tell Dick Scott he will do at the end of Act I, Scene II?
(a) Find another farm to work on.
(b) Take Robert's place on the voyage.
(c) Go to college.
(d) Work on another ship.
13. What noise does Robert and Ruth hear from outside after they've had their terrible fight?
(a) A horse and carriage on the road.
(b) Mrs. Atkins arguing.
(c) Mary talking to her doll.
(d) Mrs. Mayo singing.
14. How old is Ruth?
(a) Late thirties.
(d) Early twenties.
15. How long will Robert be at sea?
(a) Six years.
(b) Twelve years.
(c) One year.
(d) Three years.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says that Robert "tells things so beautifully?"
2. What does the child want to play with at the beginning of Act 2?
3. What is Robert late for in Act 2, Scene 1?
4. What does Robert think the secret is to what he has been seeking at the beginning of the play?
5. What excuse does Ruth use as the reason she has to stay on the farm?
This section contains 414 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)