|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Andrew say when he learns that Ruth loves Robert?
(a) "Good luck to you both."
(b) "I knew it!"
(c) He says nothing.
(d) He curses them.
2. Who is laughing at Ben?
(a) Farmers and farmhands.
3. How old is Ruth?
(b) Early twenties.
(c) Late thirties.
4. What does Andrew tell his parents about Robert's perspective on the sea voyage?
(a) Robert is too scared to go.
(b) Robert resents having to go.
(c) Robert doesn't want to go on the voyage.
(d) Robert is set on going on the voyage.
5. What is Dick Scott's title?
6. What does Robert think the secret is to what he has been seeking at the beginning of the play?
7. What is Ruth reading when Robert comes in and watches her without her knowing in Act 2?
(a) History book.
(c) A letter from Andrew.
8. What does Mrs. Atkins use in order to move around?
9. What sound does Mary make in the bedroom while her parents are fighting?
10. What is his mother's reaction when Robert tells his family about him and Ruth?
(d) Relief that Robert is not going on the voyage.
11. What is Robert late for in Act 2, Scene 1?
12. What does Mr. Mayo threaten to do to Andrew if he finds him still at home in the morning?
(a) Hug him.
(b) Give him breakfast.
(c) Throw him out.
(d) Make a new plan.
13. What is the setting of Act I, Scene 2?
(b) Small sitting room of the farmhouse.
14. Where is Robert sitting at the beginning of the play?
(b) On a fence.
15. What does Andrew say from offstage at the end of Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) Anyone home?
(b) What's going on?
(d) Where are you?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Mayo say about Ruth and Andrew?
2. What does Ben say will happen if he doesn't get paid when Robert gets back from town?
3. What does Robert say to Ruth about why he has to leave?
4. What job does Mrs. Mayo at one time hold?
5. What does Robert gently pull away from Ruth's face when he's talking with her by the fence?
This section contains 437 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)