|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dick Scott fix up on his ship for Robert?
(a) Reading room.
(d) Dining room.
2. Who says "Oh, Ruth, our love is sweeter than any distant dream?"
3. Who places himself between Mr. Mayo and Andrew when Mr. Mayo threatens to hit Andrew?
(a) Mrs. Mayo.
(d) Mrs. Atkins.
4. Where is Andrew when Robert tells his family that he loves Ruth?
(c) Sitting room.
5. What experience did Robert have as a child that he tells Ruth about in Act 1, Scene 1?
(a) He and his mother went ice skating.
(b) He and his dad liked to play checkers.
(c) He was a sickly child.
(d) He loved to color.
6. Why does Ruth complain about her mother to Robert at the beginning of the play?
(a) She likes to be alone.
(b) She doesn't like to talk.
(c) She is too happy.
(d) She nags Ruth.
7. How old is Ruth?
(b) Late thirties.
(d) Early twenties.
8. What does Ben say will happen if he doesn't get paid when Robert gets back from town?
(a) He can't wait.
(b) He is fine with the money he has.
(c) There will be trouble.
(d) He'll come back next week.
9. How long will Robert be at sea?
(a) Six years.
(b) Three years.
(c) Twelve years.
(d) One year.
10. What kind of luck does Robert say he's been having?
(a) Wonderful luck.
(b) He doesn't believe in luck.
(c) Good luck.
(d) Bad luck.
11. What does Uncle Dick say to Andrew about the way he spoke up to his father in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) "I like your spirit."
(b) "You were tough on him."
(c) "You're rude."
(d) "You certainly put him in his place."
12. What does Mrs. Mayo say about Ruth and Andrew?
(a) They tell funny jokes.
(b) They'd make a nice couple.
(c) They are foolish.
(d) That Ruth doesn't love him.
13. What does Andrew tell his parents about Robert's perspective on the sea voyage?
(a) Robert is too scared to go.
(b) Robert doesn't want to go on the voyage.
(c) Robert resents having to go.
(d) Robert is set on going on the voyage.
14. Who says "I've earned my right to quit when I want to?"
(c) Mr. Mayo.
15. Who says that Robert "tells things so beautifully?"
(b) Mrs. Mayo.
(d) Uncle Dick.
Short Answer Questions
1. Robert says Ruth is mean and:
2. What does Andrew check on after dinner when he leaves the sitting room?
3. What is Ben's job?
4. What noise does Robert and Ruth hear from outside after they've had their terrible fight?
5. What does Andrew say when he learns that Ruth loves Robert?
This section contains 458 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)