|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the weather at the beginning of Act 2?
2. What does the woman from the missionary ask Dick Scott?
(a) Where seagulls sleep at night.
(b) His first name.
(d) What time it is.
3. What does Robert tell his father about the farm after he says he's not going on the voyage?
(a) He's a poet and doesn't want to dirty his hands.
(b) He has a plan for a new crop.
(c) He will never work the farm.
(d) He will take a real interest in it and do his share.
4. Who says that Ruth came to her for advice about managing the farm?
(a) Mrs. Mayo.
(b) Mrs. Atkins.
5. What does Andrew tell his father about Ruth in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) She would make a terrible wife.
(b) She is pregnant.
(c) He never loved her.
(d) She is sick.
6. What is his mother's reaction when Robert tells his family about him and Ruth?
(d) Relief that Robert is not going on the voyage.
7. What experience did Robert have as a child that he tells Ruth about in Act 1, Scene 1?
(a) He and his dad liked to play checkers.
(b) He was a sickly child.
(c) He loved to color.
(d) He and his mother went ice skating.
8. What is Ben's job?
(d) Hired hand.
9. What does Mrs. Atkins use in order to move around?
10. What does Ben say is broken in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) The dishwasher.
(b) The car.
(c) His hand.
(d) Mowing machine.
11. What is Robert in search of during the sea voyage?
(b) Wide open spaces.
(c) Long lost cousin.
12. What is Andrew's job on the ship?
(a) Deck hand.
(c) Deck swabber.
(d) Head officer.
13. What is Ruth reading when Robert comes in and watches her without her knowing in Act 2?
(a) A letter from Andrew.
(c) History book.
14. Who describes Robert as a loafer and stupid?
(c) Mrs. Mayo.
15. What does Andrew tell Dick Scott he will do at the end of Act I, Scene II?
(a) Work on another ship.
(b) Take Robert's place on the voyage.
(c) Find another farm to work on.
(d) Go to college.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Robert point to in the sky at the end of the Act 1, Scene1?
2. What does the main room of the farmhouse look like in Act 2?
3. Who places himself between Mr. Mayo and Andrew when Mr. Mayo threatens to hit Andrew?
4. What does Mr. Mayo tell Dick Scott he needs to find for his voyage?
5. What excuse does Ruth use as the reason she has to stay on the farm?
This section contains 449 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)