|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Robert think the secret is to what he has been seeking at the beginning of the play?
2. What is Ruth reading when Robert comes in and watches her without her knowing in Act 2?
(b) A letter from Andrew.
(c) History book.
3. What is Robert doing instead of eating his meal in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) Watching TV.
(d) Listening to the radio.
4. Who is Andrew?
(a) Robert's cousin.
(b) Robert's younger brother.
(c) Robert's twin.
(d) Robert's older brother.
5. What kind of work does Andrew say he likes to do in Act 1, Scene 1?
(a) Take care of the family farm.
(b) Tax Preparation.
6. What does Ben say will happen if he doesn't get paid when Robert gets back from town?
(a) He'll come back next week.
(b) He is fine with the money he has.
(c) He can't wait.
(d) There will be trouble.
7. What does Dick Scott fix up on his ship for Robert?
(a) Dining room.
(d) Reading room.
8. What does the woman from the missionary ask Dick Scott?
(b) His first name.
(c) Where seagulls sleep at night.
(d) What time it is.
9. What noise does Robert and Ruth hear from outside after they've had their terrible fight?
(a) Mrs. Atkins arguing.
(b) A horse and carriage on the road.
(c) Mrs. Mayo singing.
(d) Mary talking to her doll.
10. In what month is the beginning of the play set?
11. Who says "I feel--dead" at the end of Act I, Scene 2?
(b) Mr. Mayo.
(d) Uncle Dick.
12. What is his mother's reaction when Robert tells his family about him and Ruth?
(d) Relief that Robert is not going on the voyage.
13. Where is Robert sitting at the beginning of the play?
(c) On a fence.
14. How long will Robert be at sea?
(a) Six years.
(b) One year.
(c) Three years.
(d) Twelve years.
15. What charms Ruth about Robert's voice when he's telling the dreams of his childhood?
(a) His British accent.
(b) Its low, musical sound.
(c) Its high-pitched quality.
(d) His gruff sound.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Dick Scott's title?
2. What does Robert tell his father about the farm after he says he's not going on the voyage?
3. What is Andrew's job on the ship?
4. What does Robert gently pull away from Ruth's face when he's talking with her by the fence?
5. What does Ruth say would happen to her if Robert leaves?
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)