|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The German spirit was created despite the ______ of music and philosophy.
2. What is the basic difference between these two groups?
3. Which of the ancient philosophical and theological issues is addressed by Nietzsche?
4. One should be concerned about the dangerous aspects of a man who claims not to be which of the following?
5. Some cultures attempt to mediate between which two groups?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Philosophy in Europe has changed drastically over the past 200 years. Study Nietzsche's concept on philosophy and how it has changed. Were the changes for better or for worse? What did Nietzsche mean when he said that the Europeans of the 20th century have a dangerous curiosity, multiplicity, and possess the art of disguises? If new virtues do exist in modern day Europe, will they be virtues that directly relate to one's most secret inclinations and ardent needs? Or will the virtues be based more on the needs of society as a whole?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Nietzsche to Socrates and Plato. How were there views different? Were any the same? Explain. How might Socrates' views have changed if he had lived in Nietzsche's time?
Essay Topic 3
The author believes that a woman may appear to be peaceable, as the man wishes, but like a cat, she has trained herself to appear that way. What is your opinion of that statement? Do you think Nietzsche truly believes that women are not peaceable creatures? If women are not peaceable creatures, where does the opposite of that come from? Is it a learned behavior or an innate one? Does Nietzsche mean to say that it is the nature of the woman to behave that way or is it all a lie?
This section contains 1,683 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)