|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the one thing that will allow man to gain strength?
2. A person may eventually grow tired of what part of his opinion?
3. The author compares the moral sentiments of what region to the rest of the world?
4. One must learn to despise his enemies if he is going to be able to express what?
5. Regardless of a man's nature, it is impossible to erase from his soul the influence of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. The author comments upon tempo and how it can be improperly translated. What is the danger in it?
2. What is the author's opinion on morality as it relates to nature?
3. How does a person see vanity? Who places the value on man?
4. How do spiritualism and cruelty combine in the modern man?
5. How does instinct change depending upon one's heritage and rank?
6. Despite all other things, there are some virtues retained by man that cannot be disputed. What are they?
7. How does skepticism affect modern day Europe? What does the author think of skepticism in Germany?
8. What is the mood in the beginning of the poem? What is the author doing?
9. What is the paradox in loving one's enemies as it is suggested in various religions?
10. How does Nietzsche explain the master morality and the slave morality?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author thrives on pointing out the differences in personality and intellect between men and women. Nietzsche has very little, if any, regard for women. Comments regarding women and their tendencies are scathing. Nietzsche carries weight because of his academic standing so many are apt to take on his views without question. In the author's mind, should take no part in any scientific or philosophical undertaking. Examine Nietzsche's opinion of women and how it may color his philosophies. Where do you think these thoughts and feelings come from? Do any of Nietzsche's opinions carry weight with you? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
One may not like the man to whom he is not equal. Why is that? What about another person who is not your equal cause dislike? Is this dislike more intense if the person is above you? Or is the dislike worse if the person is inferior to you? Explain. Write an essay about how this theory may apply in your life.
Essay Topic 3
The devil is the best friend to wisdom as it avoids God. What does Nietzsche mean by that statement? Why are wisdom and God often separate according to philosophers? If Nietzsche does not believe in a living God then how does the statement apply? How does the devil fit into Nietzsche's philosophies in general? Create a depiction of what your concept of God and the devil are or as they are typically seen in modern culture.
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)