|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which philosopher is referenced in this section in regard to creativity versus morality?
2. Nietzsche says that when he is left alone, he is not entirely:
3. Through a monstrous mix of races, the German people have become all but which one of the following?
4. Who is the first composer to be mentioned in this chapter?
5. Who was the first person to receive a copy of "Aftersong?"
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Nietzsche's lament regarding the German soul?
2. Why must a psychologist take care when investigating various people?
3. What is the danger in allowing oneself to indulge in "Fatherlandishness?"
4. How does Nietzsche explain the master morality and the slave morality?
5. What is the danger in the evolution of the democratic movement in Europe?
6. How does instinct change depending upon one's heritage and rank?
7. How does a philosopher marry new and old ideas and relate them to the now?
8. What is the author's opinion on morality as it relates to nature?
9. How do spiritualism and cruelty combine in the modern man?
10. Once again, Nietzsche makes reference to a language barrier. What is the author's opinion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nietzsche considers Kant to be one of the most influential philosophers of his time. Write a 750 word biography on Kant, his philosophies, impact on the field, and influence on Nietzsche.
Essay Topic 2
Philosophy in Europe has changed drastically over the past 200 years. Study Nietzsche's concept on philosophy and how it has changed. Were the changes for better or for worse? What did Nietzsche mean when he said that the Europeans of the 20th century have a dangerous curiosity, multiplicity, and possess the art of disguises? If new virtues do exist in modern day Europe, will they be virtues that directly relate to one's most secret inclinations and ardent needs? Or will the virtues be based more on the needs of society as a whole?
Essay Topic 3
Nietzsche was known to have a turbulent and somewhat distasteful personal life. Read a biography of Nietzsche to learn more about his life outside the philosophical works. Write a 750 word bio on the author.
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)