|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The German spirit was created despite the ______ of music and philosophy.
2. In Nietzsche's eyes, ______ does not always equal superiority.
3. Nietzsche says that when he is left alone, he is not entirely:
4. Man's morality is different and therefore is likely to shine in what way?
5. One must be careful not to commit self-denial and self-____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Nietzsche's views on experience and how certain types of experience cause one to seek answers?
2. How does instinct change depending upon one's heritage and rank?
3. How does a philosopher marry new and old ideas and relate them to the now?
4. Despite all other things, there are some virtues retained by man that cannot be disputed. What are they?
5. What is the author's opinion on morality as it relates to nature?
6. Nietzsche is very vocal about his opinions of the church. What good does the author see in the organization?
7. Once again, Nietzsche makes reference to a language barrier. What is the author's opinion?
8. What is the paradox in loving one's enemies as it is suggested in various religions?
9. How does skepticism affect modern day Europe? What does the author think of skepticism in Germany?
10. What happens once the friends arrive in the summer garden? How do they greet the author?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author thrives on pointing out the differences in personality and intellect between men and women. Nietzsche has very little, if any, regard for women. Comments regarding women and their tendencies are scathing. Nietzsche carries weight because of his academic standing so many are apt to take on his views without question. In the author's mind, should take no part in any scientific or philosophical undertaking. Examine Nietzsche's opinion of women and how it may color his philosophies. Where do you think these thoughts and feelings come from? Do any of Nietzsche's opinions carry weight with you? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Nietzsche states that in order to love one's enemies, one must also learn to despise at the same time. Why is it important to be able to do both? Is to show only love for an enemy a sign of weakness or of true spiritual strength? If it is the former, why should it matter to either party? If it is the latter, then it should only bring enlightenment to the other person. Examine this theory and express your opinion on both sides of both issues.
Essay Topic 3
One may not like the man to whom he is not equal. Why is that? What about another person who is not your equal cause dislike? Is this dislike more intense if the person is above you? Or is the dislike worse if the person is inferior to you? Explain. Write an essay about how this theory may apply in your life.
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)