|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Nietzsche fears that a psychologist may easily get caught up in investigating the lives of people to the degree that he may:
2. How does Nietzsche refer to the time between dusk and dawn?
3. Virtues most likely relate directly to what type of inclinations?
4. It is most likely that even in a modern age, one may still possess which of the following:
5. What does Nietzsche believe has been responsible for the education of the spirit?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the danger in allowing oneself to indulge in "Fatherlandishness?"
2. What is Nietzsche's lament regarding the German soul?
3. How does a philosopher marry new and old ideas and relate them to the now?
4. Despite all other things, there are some virtues retained by man that cannot be disputed. What are they?
5. What would a man's life be like if he does not possess the will to truth?
6. What are the dangers in the potential development of a budding philosopher?
7. How do the modern day thoughts on morality relate to the modern day views on science of morals?
8. Once again, Nietzsche makes reference to a language barrier. What is the author's opinion?
9. What happens once the friends arrive in the summer garden? How do they greet the author?
10. How does Nietzsche explain the master morality and the slave morality?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nietzsche states that in order to love one's enemies, one must also learn to despise at the same time. Why is it important to be able to do both? Is to show only love for an enemy a sign of weakness or of true spiritual strength? If it is the former, why should it matter to either party? If it is the latter, then it should only bring enlightenment to the other person. Examine this theory and express your opinion on both sides of both issues.
Essay Topic 2
The author thrives on pointing out the differences in personality and intellect between men and women. Nietzsche has very little, if any, regard for women. Comments regarding women and their tendencies are scathing. Nietzsche carries weight because of his academic standing so many are apt to take on his views without question. In the author's mind, should take no part in any scientific or philosophical undertaking. Examine Nietzsche's opinion of women and how it may color his philosophies. Where do you think these thoughts and feelings come from? Do any of Nietzsche's opinions carry weight with you? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Allowing oneself to be depreciated, lied to and robbed could be considered as the modesty of God among men. Why do many religious figures believe that one must suffer in order to be close to God, to be holy? Do you believe that this has any credence? Explain. Is this belief why so many people worship martyrs or why martyrs are often made into saints? Is it possible to be holy, to be close to God without a great deal of suffering? Explain.
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)