|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Nietzsche frequently blames misunderstandings upon the difference in the _____ of the language.
2. If a woman attempts to prove something for the sake of womankind, the author states that she has corrupted what?
3. Senses and ______ are two ways in which a philosopher experiences many things.
4. What type of person does the author refer to as being moralistic?
5. According to the author, the German soul was once considered to be:
Short Essay Questions
1. The author comments upon tempo and how it can be improperly translated. What is the danger in it?
2. Despite all other things, there are some virtues retained by man that cannot be disputed. What are they?
3. How do the virtues of the modern man compare to those of old?
4. How does Nietzsche view faith versus knowledge? To what philosopher does Nietzsche refer?
5. Why is suffering seen as a noble thing in religion? What does the martyr receive in return?
6. What happens once the friends arrive in the summer garden? How do they greet the author?
7. What are Nietzsche's views on experience and how certain types of experience cause one to seek answers?
8. How does a person see vanity? Who places the value on man?
9. What is the author's opinion on morality as it relates to nature?
10. What is the danger in the evolution of the democratic movement in Europe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Some say there are two types of genius: one who strives to accomplish, achieve, and possess; the other is content with giving birth. Does this philosophy apply to modern culture? If so, does it apply more or less than it did in Nietzsche's day? Explain. Give examples of each type of genius. What about each makes the person a "genius?" What are the criteria for one to be considered a genius? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The author thrives on pointing out the differences in personality and intellect between men and women. Nietzsche has very little, if any, regard for women. Comments regarding women and their tendencies are scathing. Nietzsche carries weight because of his academic standing so many are apt to take on his views without question. In the author's mind, should take no part in any scientific or philosophical undertaking. Examine Nietzsche's opinion of women and how it may color his philosophies. Where do you think these thoughts and feelings come from? Do any of Nietzsche's opinions carry weight with you? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Philosophy in Europe has changed drastically over the past 200 years. Study Nietzsche's concept on philosophy and how it has changed. Were the changes for better or for worse? What did Nietzsche mean when he said that the Europeans of the 20th century have a dangerous curiosity, multiplicity, and possess the art of disguises? If new virtues do exist in modern day Europe, will they be virtues that directly relate to one's most secret inclinations and ardent needs? Or will the virtues be based more on the needs of society as a whole?
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)