|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Socrates was known to mock which group of people?
2. Man was not used to accepting that there was _____ placed on him by himself, rather it was placed upon him by another.
3. One should be concerned about the dangerous aspects of a man who claims not to be which of the following?
4. Which composer does Nietzsche refer to as being the interlude of the mellow old soul?
5. Nietzsche frequently blames misunderstandings upon the difference in the _____ of the language.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Nietzsche explain the master morality and the slave morality?
2. How does Nietzsche view faith versus knowledge? To what philosopher does Nietzsche refer?
3. Nietzsche asks if there is a name for those who are no longer friends. What has changed about the friendships?
4. How do the virtues of the modern man compare to those of old?
5. What are Nietzsche's views on experience and how certain types of experience cause one to seek answers?
6. What is Nietzsche's lament regarding the German soul?
7. Why must a psychologist take care when investigating various people?
8. What are the dangers in the potential development of a budding philosopher?
9. What is the danger in the evolution of the democratic movement in Europe?
10. How do the modern day thoughts on morality relate to the modern day views on science of morals?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Historically speaking, the modern European has brought about a mad semi-barbarism through the mixture of class and race. Nietzsche laments the combining of races as it dilutes the individuality and unique culture of European countries. What is your opinion on the subject? How has this issue progressed since Nietzsche's time? The author also states that while the combination creates chaos, it also contributes to developing a modern soul. How is the modern soul different?
Essay Topic 2
Women are easily misled by their own beliefs and will not hear otherwise. Is this thought the reason that Nietzsche feels a woman would not make a good philosopher? Research female philosophers from the past century. Choose at least three and compare their philosophies with those belonging to Nietzsche's work.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Nietzsche to Socrates and Plato. How were there views different? Were any the same? Explain. How might Socrates' views have changed if he had lived in Nietzsche's time?
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)