|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the god praised by Nietzsche?
2. Every man has been enhanced through what type of society?
3. Philosophers must be careful and take caution against what emotion?
4. Through a monstrous mix of races, the German people have become all but which one of the following?
5. What body of water is mentioned in the poem?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens once the friends arrive in the summer garden? How do they greet the author?
2. The author comments upon tempo and how it can be improperly translated. What is the danger in it?
3. What is the danger in the evolution of the democratic movement in Europe?
4. How does instinct change depending upon one's heritage and rank?
5. What would a man's life be like if he does not possess the will to truth?
6. How do the modern day thoughts on morality relate to the modern day views on science of morals?
7. Why must a psychologist take care when investigating various people?
8. What are Nietzsche's views on experience and how certain types of experience cause one to seek answers?
9. Once again, Nietzsche makes reference to a language barrier. What is the author's opinion?
10. Why is leisure an issue for some cultures? How has leisure been forced upon society?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author believes that a woman may appear to be peaceable, as the man wishes, but like a cat, she has trained herself to appear that way. What is your opinion of that statement? Do you think Nietzsche truly believes that women are not peaceable creatures? If women are not peaceable creatures, where does the opposite of that come from? Is it a learned behavior or an innate one? Does Nietzsche mean to say that it is the nature of the woman to behave that way or is it all a lie?
Essay Topic 2
The devil is the best friend to wisdom as it avoids God. What does Nietzsche mean by that statement? Why are wisdom and God often separate according to philosophers? If Nietzsche does not believe in a living God then how does the statement apply? How does the devil fit into Nietzsche's philosophies in general? Create a depiction of what your concept of God and the devil are or as they are typically seen in modern culture.
Essay Topic 3
Nietzsche believes that man takes himself too seriously, and in doing so, may compromise his own ability to seek the truth. Why does Nietzsche believe this theory? How can one be overly serious? Do you know anyone who is that way? What is the purpose in being so serious? What times would it be negative to be serious instead of lighthearted? Do you consider yourself to be overly serious? In what ways would these actions compromise one's ability to seek the truth? Is truth always a serious matter?
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)