|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the god praised by Nietzsche?
2. A person may eventually grow tired of what part of his opinion?
3. Industrious cultures find it difficult to partake in what pastime?
4. Philosophers must be careful and take caution against what emotion?
5. Socrates was known to mock which group of people?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens once the friends arrive in the summer garden? How do they greet the author?
2. How do spiritualism and cruelty combine in the modern man?
3. How do the virtues of the modern man compare to those of old?
4. What is Nietzsche's lament regarding the German soul?
5. What are Nietzsche's views on experience and how certain types of experience cause one to seek answers?
6. Nietzsche asks if there is a name for those who are no longer friends. What has changed about the friendships?
7. How do the modern day thoughts on morality relate to the modern day views on science of morals?
8. Nietzsche is very vocal about his opinions of the church. What good does the author see in the organization?
9. What is the mood in the beginning of the poem? What is the author doing?
10. The author comments upon tempo and how it can be improperly translated. What is the danger in it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Allowing oneself to be depreciated, lied to and robbed could be considered as the modesty of God among men. Why do many religious figures believe that one must suffer in order to be close to God, to be holy? Do you believe that this has any credence? Explain. Is this belief why so many people worship martyrs or why martyrs are often made into saints? Is it possible to be holy, to be close to God without a great deal of suffering? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The devil is the best friend to wisdom as it avoids God. What does Nietzsche mean by that statement? Why are wisdom and God often separate according to philosophers? If Nietzsche does not believe in a living God then how does the statement apply? How does the devil fit into Nietzsche's philosophies in general? Create a depiction of what your concept of God and the devil are or as they are typically seen in modern culture.
Essay Topic 3
Some say there are two types of genius: one who strives to accomplish, achieve, and possess; the other is content with giving birth. Does this philosophy apply to modern culture? If so, does it apply more or less than it did in Nietzsche's day? Explain. Give examples of each type of genius. What about each makes the person a "genius?" What are the criteria for one to be considered a genius? Explain.
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)