|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the theory that says men should overcome laughter?
2. What is the emotion Nietzsche feels while waiting for his guest(s) to arrive?
3. What does Nietzsche believe has been responsible for the education of the spirit?
4. Who was Socrates' famous student mentioned in this chapter?
5. Every man has been enhanced through what type of society?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the modern day thoughts on morality relate to the modern day views on science of morals?
2. What is Nietzsche's lament regarding the German soul?
3. What would a man's life be like if he does not possess the will to truth?
4. How does instinct change depending upon one's heritage and rank?
5. How does a person see vanity? Who places the value on man?
6. What are the dangers in the potential development of a budding philosopher?
7. Nietzsche is very vocal about his opinions of the church. What good does the author see in the organization?
8. Why is leisure an issue for some cultures? How has leisure been forced upon society?
9. Despite all other things, there are some virtues retained by man that cannot be disputed. What are they?
10. How does skepticism affect modern day Europe? What does the author think of skepticism in Germany?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The devil is the best friend to wisdom as it avoids God. What does Nietzsche mean by that statement? Why are wisdom and God often separate according to philosophers? If Nietzsche does not believe in a living God then how does the statement apply? How does the devil fit into Nietzsche's philosophies in general? Create a depiction of what your concept of God and the devil are or as they are typically seen in modern culture.
Essay Topic 2
One may not like the man to whom he is not equal. Why is that? What about another person who is not your equal cause dislike? Is this dislike more intense if the person is above you? Or is the dislike worse if the person is inferior to you? Explain. Write an essay about how this theory may apply in your life.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Nietzsche to Socrates and Plato. How were there views different? Were any the same? Explain. How might Socrates' views have changed if he had lived in Nietzsche's time?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)