|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. People will often take great pains to hide what is delicate and personal, even if it means which of the following:
2. In many cases philosophers may prefer a handful of certainties to which of the following?
3. Nietzsche believes that things occur in accordance with the strength of what object?
4. Nietzsche asserts that if one questions God, one also questions which other concept?
5. According to Nietzsche, it is important that man take time to embrace _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. How do spiritualism and cruelty combine in the modern man?
2. How is the French Revolution referenced? How does it tie in to philosophy?
3. What is Nietzsche's opinion on the existence of opposites?
4. What is the difference between the average man's search for truth versus the search of the philosopher?
5. Who does Nietzsche refer to regarding soul and conscience? What is the opinion on the topic?
6. What is the author's opinion on reality versus self-denial?
7. Why is leisure an issue for some cultures? How has leisure been forced upon society?
8. What are the differences in philosophies in various regions and nations? How can it be difficult to relate to others?
9. How do the virtues of the modern man compare to those of old?
10. How does the modern day concept of faith relate to Christianity?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Nietzsche to Socrates and Plato. How were there views different? Were any the same? Explain. How might Socrates' views have changed if he had lived in Nietzsche's time?
Essay Topic 2
Nietzsche has nothing against morality except when man uses it to put himself above others with no other explanation or accomplishments to back it up. Those who are pious are often completely dishonest to themselves as well as God. Who, in your opinion, would fall into this category? Is it a common position for people in religious leadership positions? How does this relate to televangelists? Do you believe that the pious man may put himself above others because he is a servant of God? What does Nietzsche mean when he says that "Those who are pious are often completely dishonest to themselves as well as God?" Do you believe that is true? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Madness is rare in the individual, but thrives in groups and nations. What kind of madness is more likely to take place in groups than in an individual? Is mass hysteria a kind of madness? What kind of actions might be taken by a group that suffers from madness? How do those actions compare to the actions of a mad individual? How does religious madness play into Nietzsche's theory?
This section contains 2,167 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)