|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In order to be able to gather a great deal of information one must possess which quality?
2. This person, also according to the author, possessed a great deal of which of the following:
3. Nietzsche asserts that if one questions God, one also questions which other concept?
4. Nietzsche says that it is not necessary to get rid of the soul, however one must allow for its:
5. Many of these scientists, according to Nietzsche, mistakenly believe that value is the opposite of which of the following?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Nietzsche's opinion on the existence of opposites?
2. What is the author's opinion on reality versus self-denial?
3. Why should physiologists think twice before discounting self-preservation?
4. What is the main purpose of the psychologist in understanding the human soul?
5. Nietzsche breaches an age old question about God and the devil. What is it?
6. What is Nietzsche's opinion on the evolution of philosophical concepts?
7. What is soul atomism? Who teaches the theory?
8. What is the author's opinion on how man views himself?
9. Why does the author claim that philosophers are not honest enough?
10. How is the French Revolution referenced? How does it tie in to philosophy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Whosoever fights monsters should be sure, that in fighting he himself does not become a monster. "And when you look into the abyss, the abyss also looks into you." This is a common thought among people who investigate heinous crimes. Examine why and how it is possible that by studying monsters one can become a monster. Reference a story like Jekyll and Hyde to prove your point.
Essay Topic 2
Nietzsche states that in order to love one's enemies, one must also learn to despise at the same time. Why is it important to be able to do both? Is to show only love for an enemy a sign of weakness or of true spiritual strength? If it is the former, why should it matter to either party? If it is the latter, then it should only bring enlightenment to the other person. Examine this theory and express your opinion on both sides of both issues.
Essay Topic 3
Allowing oneself to be depreciated, lied to and robbed could be considered as the modesty of God among men. Why do many religious figures believe that one must suffer in order to be close to God, to be holy? Do you believe that this has any credence? Explain. Is this belief why so many people worship martyrs or why martyrs are often made into saints? Is it possible to be holy, to be close to God without a great deal of suffering? Explain.
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)