|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which branch of science is referred to as the "queen of the sciences?"
2. Nietzsche believes that things occur in accordance with the strength of what object?
3. Nietzsche divides the main approaches to thought into two groups. What are they?
4. What is the main reason there are so many misunderstandings in philosophy?
5. In general, a man will not take on burden and responsibility without ______.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Nietzsche's opinion on the existence of opposites?
2. What is the main thought on the pursuit of one's desires?
3. What is the main purpose of the psychologist in understanding the human soul?
4. Why does the author claim that philosophers are not honest enough?
5. Nietzsche breaches an age old question about God and the devil. What is it?
6. A false judgment may not be something that a person's mind objects to outright. What is the theory on false judgments in one's life?
7. Who does Nietzsche refer to regarding soul and conscience? What is the opinion on the topic?
8. What is soul atomism? Who teaches the theory?
9. Is there a difference between the moral and intellectual set of philosophies?
10. How is the French Revolution referenced? How does it tie in to philosophy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Man is a strange and contradictory creature. One professes to believe in one thing but only as it applies to other people. When one encounters a person who has the same beliefs and expectations, one is apt to despise the other person, not recognizing in himself those very qualities he despises. Why is man a contradictory creature? Do you think it is hypocritical to demand a behavior of someone but not of yourself? How does this relate to the "do as I say, not as I do" mentality many people have with their subordinates or children? Is this a valid behavior? Is it helpful or harmful? What type of characteristics might you see in another person that would too closely mirror your own? Would it help you to change your behavior?
Essay Topic 2
Madness is rare in the individual, but thrives in groups and nations. What kind of madness is more likely to take place in groups than in an individual? Is mass hysteria a kind of madness? What kind of actions might be taken by a group that suffers from madness? How do those actions compare to the actions of a mad individual? How does religious madness play into Nietzsche's theory?
Essay Topic 3
Nietzsche considers Kant to be one of the most influential philosophers of his time. Write a 750 word biography on Kant, his philosophies, impact on the field, and influence on Nietzsche.
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)