|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When one desires an object the actual interest relates to:
2. What is the one thing that will never cease being awkward long enough for people to understand that there are no opposites, only subtleties of gradation?
3. Nietzsche has no regard for one segment of the population. What is it?
4. Which faith is most closely related to sacrifice according to Nietzsche?
5. How does one often view another who has many similar qualities?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are people often desperate to hide their deepest thoughts and emotions?
2. What is Nietzsche's opinion on the evolution of philosophical concepts?
3. How does the modern day concept of faith relate to Christianity?
4. Is there a difference between the moral and intellectual set of philosophies?
5. What is the author's opinion on reality versus self-denial?
6. Nietzsche breaches an age old question about God and the devil. What is it?
7. Why does the author refer to man as being a contradictory creature?
8. What is Nietzsche's view on materialistic atomism? How is it viewed by the learned world?
9. What is the author's opinion on how man views himself?
10. How does Nietzsche refer to Logicians?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The devil is the best friend to wisdom as it avoids God. What does Nietzsche mean by that statement? Why are wisdom and God often separate according to philosophers? If Nietzsche does not believe in a living God then how does the statement apply? How does the devil fit into Nietzsche's philosophies in general? Create a depiction of what your concept of God and the devil are or as they are typically seen in modern culture.
Essay Topic 2
Philosophy in Europe has changed drastically over the past 200 years. Study Nietzsche's concept on philosophy and how it has changed. Were the changes for better or for worse? What did Nietzsche mean when he said that the Europeans of the 20th century have a dangerous curiosity, multiplicity, and possess the art of disguises? If new virtues do exist in modern day Europe, will they be virtues that directly relate to one's most secret inclinations and ardent needs? Or will the virtues be based more on the needs of society as a whole?
Essay Topic 3
Nietzsche states that in order to love one's enemies, one must also learn to despise at the same time. Why is it important to be able to do both? Is to show only love for an enemy a sign of weakness or of true spiritual strength? If it is the former, why should it matter to either party? If it is the latter, then it should only bring enlightenment to the other person. Examine this theory and express your opinion on both sides of both issues.
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)