Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Schelling referred to intellectual intuition as being a "faculty of the _________."
2. There is no need to do be the sole protector of mankind and the earth; instead, take time to seek _________.
3. Nietzsche considers psychologists to have a large amount of which trait?
4. What country is the philosopher's homeland?
5. Nietzsche states that philosophy concepts are not something that will autonomously _______.
Short Essay Questions
1. The book's translator shares a story about the first known copy of "Aftersong." Where was it? How was it different than the later versions?
2. Nietzsche gives an overview of several cultures and religions. What are his views?
3. What is the author's opinion on the language barrier?
4. What is the the "faculty of the suprasensible?" Who coined the term?
5. How does Nietzsche explain the master morality and the slave morality?
6. Nietzsche talks about the communicative habits of "free spirits." Explain.
7. What is Nietzsche's lament regarding the German soul?
8. What is the danger in the evolution of the democratic movement in Europe?
9. What is Nietzsche's opinion on the evolution of philosophical concepts?
10. How do spiritualism and cruelty combine in the modern man?
Essay Topic 1
Nietzsche has nothing against morality except when man uses it to put himself above others with no other explanation or accomplishments to back it up. Those who are pious are often completely dishonest to themselves as well as God. Who, in your opinion, would fall into this category? Is it a common position for people in religious leadership positions? How does this relate to televangelists? Do you believe that the pious man may put himself above others because he is a servant of God? What does Nietzsche mean when he says that "Those who are pious are often completely dishonest to themselves as well as God?" Do you believe that is true? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Nietzsche to Socrates and Plato. How were there views different? Were any the same? Explain. How might Socrates' views have changed if he had lived in Nietzsche's time?
Essay Topic 3
Nietzsche was known to have a turbulent and somewhat distasteful personal life. Read a biography of Nietzsche to learn more about his life outside the philosophical works. Write a 750 word bio on the author.
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)