|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Albert create the sound of horses' hooves?
2. Which of the following is not listed as one of the village laws?
3. What does Isa listen to as she crosses the lawn after the end of the pageant?
4. What is Lady Harraden's second scheme to get Flavinda's father's wealth?
5. In the romantic comedy, who is the girl in love with?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Miss La Trobe go after the pageant?
2. What do many audience members object to in the "Ourselves" section of the pageant?
3. After the pageant resumes following the intermission, who takes to the stage? Who particularly likes this portion of the pageant?
4. What does Giles wonder about Isa when he sees her in the barn?
5. Who are the main characters of "A Picnic Party", and who do they find they have in common?
6. What does Reverend Streatfield ask the audience for at the end of the pageant? What interrupts him?
7. What scheme does Lady Harraden come up with involving a con-man?
8. What is the premise of "Where There's a Will, There's A Way"?
9. What does Giles imagine himself as after "Where There's a Will, There's a Way" ended, and what did he take as the moral of the story?
10. How is the third section of "Where There's a Will, There's a Way" conveyed to the audience? What amused the audience during this dead moment in the program?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret the conflicts in the novel "Between the Acts". Who is in conflict with whom? How do the characters deal with these conflicts? Are these conflicts resolved by the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret the characters of the novel, particularly the principle characters. Who are the principle characters, and why? What conflicts are they dealing with? Describe the relationships between these characters.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the first scene of the pageant in the novel "Between the Acts". Describe the first scene. How does the audience react to the first scene? What is the first scene about? Why is this scene an example of a Shakespearean scene? How does this scene illustrate the theme of romance?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)