|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of whom does Mrs. Swithin say "[They] put a dagger on the table and that's a battle"?
2. When the pageant starts again after the intermission, what does the young woman who takes to the stage personify?
3. In the romantic comedy, what is the name of the aunt's maid?
4. Who does Giles invite to the greenhouse?
5. What does the Reverend make of the pageant?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Reverend Streatfield ask the audience for at the end of the pageant? What interrupts him?
2. What does William think to himself as he says good-bye to Mrs. Swithin?
3. After the pageant resumes following the intermission, who takes to the stage? Who particularly likes this portion of the pageant?
4. How is the stage set for "A Picnic Party"?
5. What does Giles imagine himself as after "Where There's a Will, There's a Way" ended, and what did he take as the moral of the story?
6. What makes Isa angry when she sees Giles in the barn?
7. What does a voice over a megaphone call out to the audience?
8. When Mrs. Swithin suggests thanking Miss La Trobe after the pageant is over, what does Mr. Oliver explain?
9. Where does Isa go when she slips away from the pageant audience? What do she do as she wanders around?
10. How does Miss La Trobe evaluate her pageant after it is done? What does she begin to plan as she leaves Pointz Hall?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some examples of romance in the novel "Between the Acts"? How does Woolf portray these romantic feelings? Is this a central element of the novel? What deeper meaning might these examples of romance contain?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret the first scene of the pageant in the novel "Between the Acts". Describe the first scene. How does the audience react to the first scene? What is the first scene about? Why is this scene an example of a Shakespearean scene? How does this scene illustrate the theme of romance?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Woolf's use of imagery in the novel "Between the Acts." What is imagery? What are some examples of imagery in the novel?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)