|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does Emily tell Miss Lyon she is not attracted?
2. How many Valentines did Emily receive in the flashback?
3. What title does Emily's father hold?
4. How does Emily describe her father's gift to Austin?
5. What does Emily say has happened to the path?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when Professor Higginson responded to Emily?
2. What would Emily's father do that would floor Emily?
3. During Emily's flashback to her teenage years, what does Mr. Crowell ask the class to do and how does Emily respond?
4. How long did Emily and Professor Higginson communicate and what happened to excite Emily?
5. What distracts Emily that causes the mood of the play to change after the incident with Mr. Crowell?
6. What information does Emily share about Vinne and his cat?
7. How does Vinnie feel about Emily and how does this relate to how Emily's father feels about her?
8. How do Emily's and Lavinia's views of autumn in New England differ?
9. What does Emily feel her published poems will bring?
10. What was it very difficult to do in relation to Emily's father and why was he the only member of the family allowed to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you believe Emily sees herself in the same way as the audience? Why or why not? How would you describe Emily?
Essay Topic 2
In what way does the author of the play help the audience acclimate to Emily and her home? Do you feel this process is effective? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What does Emily often turn to when she faces troubling times? How do the other members of her family handle similar situations? Do you think these are effective methods? Why or why not?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)