|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Emily admit about all the things she does?
2. How does Emily describe her Aunt Libbie?
3. Which neighbor does Emily find intimidating?
4. Emily states that just because she is a poem doesn't mean what?
5. Which of the following is something that Emily does sometimes which surprises her neighbors?
Short Essay Questions
1. What type of stories does Lavinia want to hear the most and what does she want to know about those stories?
2. How does Emily feel about Jennie after the death of her mother and what are Emily's views on death?
3. How does Vinnie feel about Emily and how does this relate to how Emily's father feels about her?
4. What does Emily do that openly challenges Mr. Crowell's order?
5. About what does reading the story about the train accident remind Emily?
6. How does Emily tell the audience that she and Lavinia spend their evenings?
7. How long did Emily and Professor Higginson communicate and what happened to excite Emily?
8. What does Emily find amusing about her upcoming school year during the flashback?
9. What happened when Professor Higginson responded to Emily?
10. How and when does Emily enjoy the circus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what way does this play show Emily's instability? What do you think is the reason for her instability? Do you think her instability causes her odd behavior or do you think there is another reason for the odd behavior? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Where does Emily find her spirituality? Why do you think Emily finds her spirituality here? Do you agree with her? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
In what way does the author of the play help the audience acclimate to Emily and her home? Do you feel this process is effective? Why or why not?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)