|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which neighbor does Emily find intimidating?
2. How does Emily prefer to introduce herself?
3. What does Emily say that the residents of Amherst provide her?
4. What does Emily says her friend Helen Jackson is?
5. What type of sermons does Emily enjoy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What two emotions did Emily feel about Professor Higginson's visit and what caused her fear?
2. What does Emily find amusing about her upcoming school year during the flashback?
3. How does Emily describe her relationship with Vinnie and how does Vinnie take care of Emily?
4. What does Emily do that openly challenges Mr. Crowell's order?
5. What did Emily and some of the other girls at her school form and what was the first thing they were going to do?
6. How does Emily describe the house and her garden?
7. How does Emily describe the orchard?
8. What information does Emily share about Vinne and his cat?
9. What distracts Emily that causes the mood of the play to change after the incident with Mr. Crowell?
10. What does Emily feel her published poems will bring?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Emily's relationship with her father, Do you believe this relationship could be described as healthy or unhealthy? Why?
Essay Topic 2
How do Emily's parents differ? In what way are they typical parents? In what way are they significantly different from typical parents?
Essay Topic 3
Do you believe Emily sees herself in the same way as the audience? Why or why not? How would you describe Emily?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)