|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the topic of the poem Emily relates after she talks about why people are afraid to let go?
(a) Death and the process of dying.
(b) The impact of nature.
(c) The birds in the garden.
(d) Her body's machinery.
2. How long after Emily's father died did her mother become ill?
(a) 2 years.
(b) 6 months.
(c) 1 year.
(d) 9 months.
3. What state does Emily indicate the house was in when her father was alive?
4. How did Emily react when her mother died?
(a) She was angry.
(b) She could not accept it.
(c) She was relieved.
(d) She was stunned.
5. What did Gilbert equate with his home?
(a) His school.
(b) The garden.
(c) Emily's house.
(d) His friend's house.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Emily say she feels about being single?
2. What happened to Emily's mother when she became ill?
3. What does Emily believe has happened to her existence?
4. What does Emily believe her business is to do?
5. What did Gilbert do when he was six with a friend?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Emily say about herself when the audience is shocked after learning about her suitors?
2. What does Emily call death and life?
3. What does Emily promise to give to the audience the next time they visit?
4. How does Emily characterize the people that should listen to her poems, like Mr. Higginson?
5. Who is Emily's only one true love?
6. How does Emily describe spring?
7. What did one of Emily's friends write in his last letter to her before he died?
8. What does Emily tell Wadsworth on his last visit to Amherst?
9. What does Emily remind the audience about making her cake?
10. What does Emily tell Vinnie when Vinnie tells her not to talk about her own death?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)