|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Emily and her mother become close?
(a) When she was a child.
(b) When she had the stroke.
(c) When Vinnnie moved out of the house.
(d) When her father died.
2. What is Vinnie afraid of?
(a) He will hurt Emily.
(b) He will move into the house.
(c) Emily won't meet with the man.
(d) Emily leaving with him.
3. How does Emily say she feels about being single?
(a) She wants to find her own man.
(b) She has tremenndous regrets.
(c) She still wishes she had found a man.
(d) She accepts her life for what it is.
4. What does Emily deride herself for thinking?
(a) That Professor Higginson liked her.
(b) That she could leave her house.
(c) That she would become famous.
(d) That she was a poet.
5. How does Emily feel about the professor's reaction?
(a) She is angered.
(b) She is ashamed.
(c) She is relieved.
(d) She is crushed.
Short Answer Questions
1. In her vision what does Emily tell her mother to do before her father arrives for lunch?
2. How does Vinnie react?
3. What did Gilbert equate with his home?
4. What is Austin doing that Vinnie doesn't object to which Emily finds odd because of her self-righteousness?
5. Why does Emily bring flowers to her father's grave?
Short Essay Questions
1. When does Emily write?
2. What is true about all of Emily's suitors?
3. What is Emily's father's job when Emily was 24 and where do they visit him?
4. How many times did Emily speak to Wadsworth and when did they occur?
5. What does Emily watch and then translate?
6. What compliment does Emily give to the audience before she leaves?
7. What does Emily say about herself when the audience is shocked after learning about her suitors?
8. What does Emily remind the audience about making her cake?
9. How does Emily characterize the people that should listen to her poems, like Mr. Higginson?
10. What does Emily call death and life?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)