|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why can't Emily reveal the man's name?
(a) He is dead.
(b) He is married.
(c) He is famous.
(d) He required it.
2. Why doesn't Emily try to make conversation with Professor Higginson?
(a) She doesn't understand him.
(b) She is afraid of the man in person.
(c) Her father is watching over the meeting.
(d) Her mind is only on publication.
3. When did Emily and her mother become close?
(a) When she was a child.
(b) When she had the stroke.
(c) When her father died.
(d) When Vinnnie moved out of the house.
4. What does the town gossip say about Vinnie in relation to marriage?
(a) That she gave up marriage to take care of Emily.
(b) That she was married and killed her husband.
(c) That her father forbid her to be married.
(d) That she has never been with a man and prefers women.
5. What does Emily tell Helen about being published?
(a) She has not written a good enough piece to be published.
(b) She is at peace with not being published.
(c) She is still waiting for her meridian.
(d) She doesn't trust any publisher anymore.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was the last place Emily saw her father?
2. What does this person waiting for Emily in the library want?
3. What did Vinnie refuse to acknowledge that happened on the fourth of July?
4. What does Emily confide in the audience about being famous?
5. How did Emily come to realize that her life would change and that her father was ill?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Emily tell Vinnie when Vinnie tells her not to talk about her own death?
2. Who is Emily's only one true love?
3. What does Emily watch and then translate?
4. What does Emily remind the audience about making her cake?
5. What does Emily tell the audience about her heart and about why Wadsworth won't visit again?
6. How does Emily characterize the people that should listen to her poems, like Mr. Higginson?
7. What did one of Emily's friends write in his last letter to her before he died?
8. Who disapproved of Emily and the judge and who caused more problems?
9. What funeral process does Emily describe for herself?
10. What is true about all of Emily's suitors?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)