|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is how Emily describes the path between the two houses?
(a) Just wide enough for 2 lovers.
(b) Narrow enough to pass items across the windows.
(c) So close one could hear the happenings in the other house.
(d) Barely wide enough to walk through.
2. What does Emily say her neighbors do to try and get a look at her?
(a) Send invitations to her father.
(b) Invite themselves to dinner.
(c) Bring gifts to her door.
(d) Harass other members of her family.
3. Where was Emily going when she left her father for the first time?
(a) To visit with her brother at his school.
(b) Her aunt Mary's home.
(c) Amherst Academy.
(d) Mount Holyoke Female Seminary.
4. What did Emily always do when it was time for Austin to leave?
(a) Hide his suitcase so that he could not leave.
(b) Look out the window as he left.
(c) Go outside and watch him ride off.
(d) Hide in her room until she could no longer hear him.
5. Who used the path more than anyone else?
(a) Emily and her father.
(b) Emily and Sue.
(c) Emily and Austin.
(d) Austin and his father.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Mary Lyon?
2. What did Austin going to school have to do with Emily staying home?
3. How many classifications did Mary Lyon have for her students?
4. Why did Emily say she was happy not to return to Mount Holyoke?
5. How does Emily characterize the relationship between Austin and their father?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Emily's and Lavinia's views of autumn in New England differ?
2. What information does Emily share about Vinne and his cat?
3. What does Emily find amusing about her upcoming school year during the flashback?
4. What does Emily indicate is the highest form of art?
5. How and when does Emily enjoy the circus?
6. What is Emily's rationale for not wanting to cross out passages?
7. How does Emily say her mother felt about her?
8. How old was Emily when she learned to tell time and what did the clock stopping mean to Emily?
9. How does Emily describe the time her family, including her mother, all lived together?
10. What would Lavinia do that her father disapproved of and what did he tell her to do?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)