|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Emily say that the residents of Amherst provide her?
(a) A need to keep herself inside the house.
(b) A source of inspiration for writing.
(c) Endless amusement.
(d) The means to survive.
2. How does Emily feel about the fact that she confounds her neighbors?
(a) She enjoys it.
(b) She dislikes it.
(c) She is ashamed by it.
(d) She does not understand it.
3. What does Emily say has happened to the notes she has sent to her neighbors?
(a) They have been published in magazines.
(b) They have become collector's items in the village.
(c) They have been returned to her.
(d) They have been sold to others.
4. Which of the following is the best synonym for the term impenitent?
5. What does Emily do to encourage her neighbors' curiosity?
(a) Hides behind hats and veils.
(b) Runs through the house.
(c) Peeks at the neighbors through their windows.
(d) Sends her neighbors poems through the mail.
Short Answer Questions
1. To which of the following categories did Emily belong?
2. Why does Emily indicate she might be frightened?
3. What is the name of the cake?
4. What does Emily say happens to other people because of the way she is in relationships?
5. How many Valentines did Emily receive in the flashback?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Emily do that openly challenges Mr. Crowell's order?
2. How old was Emily when she learned to tell time and what did the clock stopping mean to Emily?
3. How does Emily tell the audience that she and Lavinia spend their evenings?
4. How do Emily's and Lavinia's views of autumn in New England differ?
5. How does Emily say her mother felt about her?
6. What did Emily and some of the other girls at her school form and what was the first thing they were going to do?
7. What would Lavinia do that her father disapproved of and what did he tell her to do?
8. How does Emily feel about Jennie after the death of her mother and what are Emily's views on death?
9. What information does Emily share about Vinne and his cat?
10. How and when does Emily enjoy the circus?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)