|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. About what does Emily think will be some of the first things she will ask the professor?
(a) She will ask him about his wife .
(b) She will ask him about his own writing.
(c) She will ask him how to improve her writing.
(d) She will ask him which story will be published.
2. When did Emily and her mother become close?
(a) When she had the stroke.
(b) When Vinnnie moved out of the house.
(c) When her father died.
(d) When she was a child.
3. Why is Emily doubtful about Helen's intention?
(a) Her content.
(b) Her writing.
(c) Her meter.
(d) Her age.
4. Emily wonders why people are afraid to let go of what?
(a) Their pets.
(b) Their bodies.
(c) Their minds.
(d) Their parents.
5. How did Emily come to realize that her life would change and that her father was ill?
(a) Her father called her to tell her himself.
(b) She had a vision while she was sleeping.
(c) Vinnie breaks the news to Emily.
(d) She could tell by the look on Austin's face.
6. How long after Emily's father died did her mother become ill?
(a) 6 months.
(b) 9 months.
(c) 2 years.
(d) 1 year.
7. Between who was Gilbert planning on giving his admission prices?
(a) College and cat.
(b) Brother and house.
(c) Mother and father.
(d) Emily and Vinnie.
8. Emily says that everyone is somewhere except who?
(b) Her father.
(d) Her mother.
9. What is the topic of the poem Emily relates after she talks about why people are afraid to let go?
(a) The birds in the garden.
(b) Death and the process of dying.
(c) Her body's machinery.
(d) The impact of nature.
10. What does Emily believe her business is to do?
(a) Publish poetry.
(b) Make poetry.
(c) Live with her family.
(d) Understand the world around her.
11. Where was the last place Emily saw her father?
(a) When she sent him on a walk with Austin.
(b) When she went to the hospital.
(c) When she woke him up in the morning.
(d) When she put him on the train.
12. How does Emily describe the descendants of the birds her father saved?
13. What does Emily remember about Austin at her father's funeral?
(a) She remembers him being unable to speak.
(b) She remembers that he did not attend.
(c) She remembers him leaving quickly.
(d) She remembers him kissing her father's forehead.
14. What did Vinnie refuse to acknowledge that happened on the fourth of July?
(a) Austin's fight with Sue.
(b) Her mother's death.
(c) A fire.
(d) The death of the cat.
15. How does Emily feel about what she hears from the professor?
(a) She doesn't believe it.
(b) She becomes mute.
(c) She stroms out of the room before he can finish.
(d) She becomes angry.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Emily offer to Professor HIgginson?
2. Why can't Emily reveal the man's name?
3. Where does Emily say Helen is now living?
4. What is Emily doing as she is waiting?
5. How does Emily feel about the boy that ran away from Amherst?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)