|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Vinnie become hysterical when the judge proposed to Emily?
(a) He was 18 years older than Emily.
(b) He wanted Vinnie to marry him too.
(c) He wanted Emily to move to another town.
(d) He Refused to let Emily see her family.
2. When did Austin bring the letter to the family about their father?
(a) January 10th.
(b) August 5th.
(c) May 8th.
(d) June 15th.
3. Why can't Emily reveal the man's name?
(a) He is married.
(b) He is famous.
(c) He is dead.
(d) He required it.
4. What does Emily take downstairs with her when she hears the professor's coach pull up?
(a) The sewing she was working on.
(b) Her whole box of poems.
(c) Her sister's cat.
(d) A copy of the letters he wrote to her.
5. What does Emily offer to Professor HIgginson?
(a) A glass of lemonade.
(b) Many more poems.
(c) A place to stay.
(d) A slice of her cake.
6. Why is Emily doubtful about Helen's intention?
(a) Her writing.
(b) Her age.
(c) Her meter.
(d) Her content.
7. Why does Emily bring flowers to her father's grave?
(a) She wants to show him respect.
(b) He always loved Emily's flowers.
(c) She needs to do something to keep him alive.
(d) He doesn't have any gardens.
8. What happened to Emily's mother when she became ill?
(a) She had a stroke and could no longer walk.
(b) She had a heart attack and died.
(c) She lost her will to live because of the loss of her husband.
(d) She lost her mind and was hard to care for.
9. What did Gilbert equate with his home?
(a) His friend's house.
(b) Emily's house.
(c) His school.
(d) The garden.
10. What does Emily believe happened to the poems she sent to Professor Higginson?
(a) They have been burned.
(b) They are in a dusty drawer somewhere.
(c) They went directly to the trash can.
(d) They were sent to another publisher.
11. How does Emily describe the descendants of the birds her father saved?
12. How does Emily try to defend her writing?
(a) She calls it beyond him.
(b) She calls it better than he can understand.
(c) She calls it inspired.
(d) She calls it experimental.
13. What does Professor HIgginson say about Emily's poetry?
(a) Her meter is spasmodic and uncontrolled.
(b) Her choice of topics is confusing and dated.
(c) Her writing is uninventive.
(d) Her poetry lacks depth and meaning.
14. How does Emily believe Vinnie feels about marriage?
(a) She is angry that her beau married another.
(b) She feels life has cheated her.
(c) She regrets not being married.
(d) She is at peace with her life.
15. What does the town gossip say about Vinnie in relation to marriage?
(a) That she was married and killed her husband.
(b) That she has never been with a man and prefers women.
(c) That she gave up marriage to take care of Emily.
(d) That her father forbid her to be married.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Emily feel about what she hears from the professor?
2. When Emily tires of talking about the serious subject of her parents and death, what does she wish to be?
3. What does Emily believe in that she wishes could have been tested before her father?
4. When the time shifts to the garden, who comes to the house Emily?
5. Where is her father in Emily's mind?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)