|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What animals did Emily's father keep?
2. When the time shifts to the garden, who comes to the house Emily?
(b) Her sister.
(c) Her father.
(d) A man.
3. What happened to Emily's mother when she became ill?
(a) She lost her will to live because of the loss of her husband.
(b) She had a heart attack and died.
(c) She lost her mind and was hard to care for.
(d) She had a stroke and could no longer walk.
4. How does Emily feel about what she hears from the professor?
(a) She stroms out of the room before he can finish.
(b) She becomes mute.
(c) She doesn't believe it.
(d) She becomes angry.
5. What does Emily confide in the audience about being famous?
(a) She confides that she had a few famous moments.
(b) She confides that she could not handle being famous.
(c) She confides that she still wants to be famous.
(d) She confides that she doesn't know what it means to be famous.
6. How long after Emily's father died did her mother become ill?
(a) 1 year.
(b) 2 years.
(c) 9 months.
(d) 6 months.
7. How does Emily feel about the boy that ran away from Amherst?
(a) She thinks it is shocking.
(b) She thinks it is wonderful.
(c) She thinks it is surprising.
(d) She thinks it is awful.
8. What doesn't Emily understand about Vinnie?
(a) Her inability to think things through.
(b) Her need to control Emily.
(c) Her screaming.
(d) Her self-righteousness.
9. What does Emily say about a publisher when talking to the professor?
(a) A publisher would want to take a risk with her.
(b) A publisher would recognize what she is doing.
(c) A publisher would see the genius in her writing.
(d) A publisher would realize the potential.
10. What does Emily offer to Professor HIgginson?
(a) A place to stay.
(b) A slice of her cake.
(c) Many more poems.
(d) A glass of lemonade.
11. What does Emily think would be necessary for her family to stop crying over her father's death?
(a) If they could have seen his body before it was buried.
(b) If they had gotten to see him one last time.
(c) If they received a sign from him.
(d) If they knew his father was aware of how they tend his grave.
12. What does Emily reminisce about her father coming to?
(a) Her wedding.
(b) Her first publication party.
(c) Home for lunch.
(d) Her poetry reading.
13. What does Professor HIgginson say about Emily's poetry?
(a) Her meter is spasmodic and uncontrolled.
(b) Her choice of topics is confusing and dated.
(c) Her poetry lacks depth and meaning.
(d) Her writing is uninventive.
14. What does Emily believe happened to the poems she sent to Professor Higginson?
(a) They are in a dusty drawer somewhere.
(b) They were sent to another publisher.
(c) They have been burned.
(d) They went directly to the trash can.
15. How does Emily say she spends her days?
(a) Trying to write about her feelings at this time.
(b) Sitting and watching the birds.
(c) Waiting for her father to return.
(d) Wondering where her father is.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Vinnie get to go visit her father?
2. Why does Emily bring flowers to her father's grave?
3. What did Gilbert do when he was six with a friend?
4. What does Emily ask the professor when they finally meet?
5. What does Emily comment about not understanding the excitement around?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)