|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What realization does Emily come to about how the professor feels about her writing?
(a) She comes to understand that he needs encouragment.
(b) She comes to understand that he doesn't think she's good enough.
(c) She comes to understnad that he needs to be convinced.
(d) She comes to understand that he is holding back.
2. How does Emily think Vinnie responded to Emily's statement that Emily would also like to run away?
(a) She thinks Vinnie does not understand her.
(b) She thinks Vinnie also wants to run away.
(c) She thinks Vinne thinks Emily has lost her mind.
(d) She thinks Vinnie was frightened.
3. What does Emily ask the professor when they finally meet?
(a) Why he didn't publish her last poem.
(b) When he will be leaving.
(c) Where he will be staying.
(d) Why he took so long to visit.
4. What does Emily believe her business is to do?
(a) Publish poetry.
(b) Make poetry.
(c) Understand the world around her.
(d) Live with her family.
5. How does Emily feel about the professor's reaction?
(a) She is relieved.
(b) She is ashamed.
(c) She is crushed.
(d) She is angered.
6. When Emily tires of talking about the serious subject of her parents and death, what does she wish to be?
(a) A tree.
(b) A blade of grass.
(c) A stream of water.
(d) A bird in the garden.
7. What does Emily think would be necessary for her family to stop crying over her father's death?
(a) If they could have seen his body before it was buried.
(b) If they received a sign from him.
(c) If they knew his father was aware of how they tend his grave.
(d) If they had gotten to see him one last time.
8. What doesn't Emily understand about Vinnie?
(a) Her self-righteousness.
(b) Her screaming.
(c) Her inability to think things through.
(d) Her need to control Emily.
9. What does Emily imagine she will compliment Professor Higginson about?
(a) His willingness to travel.
(b) His humor and wit.
(c) His own writing skills.
(d) His looks.
10. What does Emily believe in that she wishes could have been tested before her father?
(b) The existance of God.
(d) Life after death.
11. When did Emily and her mother become close?
(a) When her father died.
(b) When she was a child.
(c) When Vinnnie moved out of the house.
(d) When she had the stroke.
12. Between who was Gilbert planning on giving his admission prices?
(a) College and cat.
(b) Mother and father.
(c) Emily and Vinnie.
(d) Brother and house.
13. What does Helen believe is true about Emily's current attitude about being published?
(a) It is egocentric.
(b) It is selfish.
(c) It is ambitious.
(d) It is gluttonous.
14. What does Emily take downstairs with her when she hears the professor's coach pull up?
(a) The sewing she was working on.
(b) A copy of the letters he wrote to her.
(c) Her whole box of poems.
(d) Her sister's cat.
15. Emily wonders why people are afraid to let go of what?
(a) Their pets.
(b) Their parents.
(c) Their minds.
(d) Their bodies.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Emily offer to Professor HIgginson?
2. How does Emily feel about what she hears from the professor?
3. What state does Emily indicate the house was in when her father was alive?
4. How does Emily say she feels about being single?
5. What does Emily tell Helen about being published?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)