|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Emily come to realize that her life would change and that her father was ill?
(a) She had a vision while she was sleeping.
(b) Her father called her to tell her himself.
(c) Vinnie breaks the news to Emily.
(d) She could tell by the look on Austin's face.
2. Where was the last place Emily saw her father?
(a) When she put him on the train.
(b) When she went to the hospital.
(c) When she sent him on a walk with Austin.
(d) When she woke him up in the morning.
3. What did Emily's rye and Indian bread win?
(a) 1st place.
(b) 2nd place.
(c) 3rd place.
(d) Honorable mention.
4. Which of the following is the best synonym for the word deride?
(d) Open up.
5. What does Emily believe has happened to her existence?
(a) It has be redefined.
(b) It has stopped.
(c) It has blossomed.
(d) It has opened.
6. What happened to Emily's mother when she became ill?
(a) She had a heart attack and died.
(b) She lost her mind and was hard to care for.
(c) She lost her will to live because of the loss of her husband.
(d) She had a stroke and could no longer walk.
7. What does Emily practice while she is waiting?
(a) She practices writing poems.
(b) She practices her sewing techniques.
(c) She practices meeting him.
(d) She practices bowing.
8. How does Emily think Vinnie responded to Emily's statement that Emily would also like to run away?
(a) She thinks Vinnie does not understand her.
(b) She thinks Vinnie was frightened.
(c) She thinks Vinne thinks Emily has lost her mind.
(d) She thinks Vinnie also wants to run away.
9. Where is her father in Emily's mind?
(a) On a trip.
(b) Visiting her mother.
(c) In heaven.
(d) In a new house.
10. What does Emily try to explain to Vinnie about the man?
(a) She wanted to meet him.
(b) She will not meet with the man.
(c) She planned to run away with him.
(d) She didn't know he was coming.
11. Where does Emily say Helen is now living?
(d) New York.
12. What advice does Emily give to the audience about their parents?
(a) To ignore them.
(b) To hold on to them.
(c) To open up to their needs.
(d) To listen to their dreams.
13. Why can't Emily reveal the man's name?
(a) He required it.
(b) He is famous.
(c) He is married.
(d) He is dead.
14. What doesn't Emily understand about Vinnie?
(a) Her need to control Emily.
(b) Her inability to think things through.
(c) Her screaming.
(d) Her self-righteousness.
15. How does Emily feel about what she hears from the professor?
(a) She stroms out of the room before he can finish.
(b) She becomes mute.
(c) She doesn't believe it.
(d) She becomes angry.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Vinnie treat Emily since their father died?
2. What does Emily believe happened to the poems she sent to Professor Higginson?
3. Why doesn't Vinnie get to go visit her father?
4. How many nephews does Emily have?
5. Who does want to publish Emily's work?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)