|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Emily indicate she might be frightened?
(a) She is not used to strangers.
(b) She heard a strange noise off stage.
(c) She was just had a visitor that left her unsettled
(d) She doesn't like the spotlight.
2. How many Valentines did Emily receive in the flashback?
3. How old was Emily when she left her father for the first time?
4. What does Emily say the neighbors gossip about her and Lavinia?
(a) That they do not appreciate their neighbors.
(b) That they are tremendously spoiled.
(c) That they are spinisters.
(d) That they never leave the house.
5. How does Emily characterize the relationship between Austin and their father?
6. About how old was Emily when Austin finished law school?
7. How does Emily think her father felt about Austin?
(a) She thinks he was ashamed of Austin.
(b) She thinks he did not understand Austin.
(c) She thinks he respected Austin above all others.
(d) She thinks he did not like Austin at all.
8. Emily states that just because she is a poem doesn't mean what?
(a) That poetry flows out of her.
(b) That she will be a good poet.
(c) That she shouldn't write poetry.
(d) That writing poems comes easily to her.
9. Which of the following is the best synonym for the term impenitent?
10. Where does Emily welcome the audience?
(b) No where.
(c) Her sister's home.
(d) The squire's home.
11. How can Emily tell a poem?
(a) When she can no longer stand to read it.
(b) When she has found the perfect words.
(c) When she has a physical reaction to it.
(d) When others understand it.
12. Why does Emily say that she no longer uses her middle name?
(a) She does not like it.
(b) She has legally changed her name.
(c) She is a poet.
(d) She is afraid people will confuse her with her aunt.
13. What were the girls who weren't hopeful told to bring with them?
(a) School books.
14. What about Sue causes Emily to feel the way she does?
(a) Sue loves Austin as Emily does.
(b) Sue understands Emily's need to write.
(c) Sue shows her affection for their father.
(d) Sue is able to stand up for herself.
15. What did Austin going to school have to do with Emily staying home?
(a) Austin earned better grades than Emily ever earned.
(b) Her father couldn't afford to pay for two children to go to school.
(c) Men were supposed to go to school, while girls were not.
(d) She believes her father couldn't handle more than one child away at one time.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is a good description of Emily?
2. What happened to Emily when her father would say "I say unto you?"
3. What is Emily carrying as she enters the stage for the first time?
4. What does Emily worry about in regards to her brother Austin?
5. From where did Emily get her middle name?
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)