|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What about Sue causes Emily to feel the way she does?
(a) Sue loves Austin as Emily does.
(b) Sue shows her affection for their father.
(c) Sue understands Emily's need to write.
(d) Sue is able to stand up for herself.
2. Which of the following is the best synonym for the term impenitent?
3. What does Emily say her neighbors do to try and get a look at her?
(a) Send invitations to her father.
(b) Bring gifts to her door.
(c) Invite themselves to dinner.
(d) Harass other members of her family.
4. What doesn't Emily understand about religion?
(a) Why it takes so long.
(b) Why it is so grim.
(c) Why it has so many rituals.
(d) Why everyone follows it.
5. Who used the path more than anyone else?
(a) Austin and his father.
(b) Emily and her father.
(c) Emily and Austin.
(d) Emily and Sue.
6. What did Emily always do when it was time for Austin to leave?
(a) Hide in her room until she could no longer hear him.
(b) Go outside and watch him ride off.
(c) Look out the window as he left.
(d) Hide his suitcase so that he could not leave.
7. Why does Emily believe she did not return to Mount Holyoke after her first year?
(a) She refused to be Christian.
(b) She cause fights among the other girls.
(c) She was too mean to Miss Lyon.
(d) She wore out her welcome.
8. Where did Austin live once he graduated?
(a) As far away from his father as possible.
(b) In the town where he went to law school.
(c) In the room he grew up in.
(d) Next door to his father.
9. Which of the following is something that Emily does sometimes which surprises her neighbors?
(a) Leaves poems taped to the front door.
(b) Answers the door herself.
(c) Moves the curtains.
(d) Walks out into the yard and waves to them.
10. How does Emily feel about the fact that she confounds her neighbors?
(a) She dislikes it.
(b) She enjoys it.
(c) She is ashamed by it.
(d) She does not understand it.
11. Emily feels that loving the way she does is what?
(a) Dangerous and unnatural.
(b) Natural and freeing.
(c) Upsetting and depressing.
(d) Surprising and energizing.
12. How does Emily describe her Aunt Libbie?
(a) Passionate woman.
(b) Obese woman.
(c) Formidable woman.
(d) Astounding woman.
13. What had Emily done that has stumped her neighbors?
(a) She hasn't shared any of her writing in years.
(b) She hasn't talked to her father in years.
(c) She has refused to talk to anyone in years.
(d) She hasn't left the house for years.
14. In what year did Emily leave her father for the first time?
15. Why does Emily say that she no longer uses her middle name?
(a) She is a poet.
(b) She does not like it.
(c) She is afraid people will confuse her with her aunt.
(d) She has legally changed her name.
Short Answer Questions
1. From where did Emily get her middle name?
2. How does Emily treat words?
3. Which of the following is an accurate description of how Emily refers to her father's sister?
4. How old is Emily?
5. Which group did Mary Lyon attempt to convert?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)