|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following best describes Emily's childhood?
(d) Cut short.
2. How is Emily known in Amherst?
(a) Little Libby.
(b) Poet extraordinare.
(c) Half cracked daughter.
(d) Quiet writing girl.
3. Where did Austin live once he graduated?
(a) In the room he grew up in.
(b) Next door to his father.
(c) In the town where he went to law school.
(d) As far away from his father as possible.
4. Which of the following is a good description of Emily?
5. Where does Emily welcome the audience?
(a) The squire's home.
(b) Her sister's home.
(d) No where.
6. What does Emily believe her father's gift to Austin was described to do?
(a) Tie Austin to his father forever.
(b) Ensure the family was never apart.
(c) Help provide for Austin and his new bride.
(d) Keep Austin close to home.
7. When did Emily decide to stop attending church?
(a) When her brother moved out.
(b) When she was 30.
(c) When she was finished with school.
(d) When her father died.
8. What had Emily done that has stumped her neighbors?
(a) She has refused to talk to anyone in years.
(b) She hasn't talked to her father in years.
(c) She hasn't left the house for years.
(d) She hasn't shared any of her writing in years.
9. What does Emily worry about in regards to her brother Austin?
(a) She worries she is causing him distress.
(b) She worries he believes she is losing her mind.
(c) She worries he will disown her.
(d) She worries he is the target of her antics.
10. How many classifications did Mary Lyon have for her students?
11. What does Emily say has happened to the path?
(a) It is overgrown from disuse.
(b) It was replaced by a fence.
(c) It is immaculately maintained.
(d) It is full of her gardens.
12. What does Emily say happens to other people because of the way she is in relationships?
(a) They ignore her.
(b) They move into the house.
(c) They become happier.
(d) They become overwhelmed.
13. How does Emily describe her relationships?
14. Who was Mary Lyon?
(a) Emily's aunt.
(b) The woman Emily's brother dated.
(c) The woman Emily's father married.
(d) The woman who ran Emily's school.
15. How did Austin and his father act when they were together?
(a) They would refuse to talk to each other.
(b) As if they were best friends.
(c) They would fight.
(d) As if the other did not exist.
Short Answer Questions
1. Emily feels that loving the way she does is what?
2. Which of the following is the best synonym for the term impenitent?
3. Which neighbor does Emily find intimidating?
4. How does Emily describe the Bible?
5. What does Emily say her neighbors do to try and get a look at her?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)