|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who taught Chance how to tend the garden?
2. Was Chance curious about life outside the walls of the garden?
3. How does the woman explain her nickname?
4. In what way does Chance think that plants are like people?
5. What makes Chance think he should not be drinking the wine?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Mr. Rand so impressed at dinner with Chance's description of having a suitable garden?
2. Why does Chance pretend to be able to read the paper that the lawyer gives him to sign?
3. Why does EE decide to invite Chance to stay at her home?
4. Why does EE change Chance's name when he introduces himself?
5. Chapter 2 explains how Chance feels when he does not look at people. Explain this feeling.
6. By Chapter 3, the author has shown the reader what Chance's personality is like. How would a reader describe Chance's personality?
7. Why can't the new maid in the Old Man's house vouch for Chance belonging there?
8. In Chapter 1, in what way does Chance feel safe and secure in the garden?
9. When Chance is hit by the limousine and Mrs. Rand steps out, what is familiar about her to Chance?
10. What surprises Chance about the outside world once he has left the Old Man's home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author, Jerzy Kosinski, is originally from Poland and was born in 1933. He has a Master's Degree in history and political science.
A) How would these facts about the author qualify him to write a well-thought out political satire?
B) What is the main political theme that the author is satirizing in the book?
Essay Topic 2
In the beginning of the novel, Chance is thinking about and comparing plants with people. By the end of the book, he is again in a garden but has no thoughts at all and feels nothing but peace. Considering all that has happened between the beginning and the end of the book, what occurs that finds Chance at peace with himself at the end? Be sure to include incidents from the story that can support your views.
Essay Topic 3
Chance has a certain relationship with television. When he changes the channel he believes he can change himself.
A) Expand upon Chance's feelings about television.
B) Discuss what you think happens when the TV is turned off and there is the little white dot going to black.
C) What has Chance learned from watching television?
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)