|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When EE tries to seduce Chance in his bedroom, what is his first reaction?
(a) He is bewildered.
(b) He is repulsed.
(c) He realizes he is in love.
(d) He is ecstatic.
2. When the man asks Chance if he wants to go upstairs, what are Chance's thoughts?
(a) He wonders if the man wants to also talk about books.
(b) He thinks the man is quite attractive.
(c) He hopes the man wants to go upstairs to watch television.
(d) He is not sure if it is something he knows how to do.
3. Why does Chance tell Mrs. Aubrey that he does not need a doctor?
(a) He is offered an honorary doctor of law degree.
(b) His leg is all better.
(c) He feels he can take care of himself.
(d) He does not feel ill any longer.
4. When a man with long gray hair first sits down to speak with Chance, what does Chance understand about what he is saying?
(a) He believes the man wants to have a laugh with him.
(b) He knows the man is talking about politics.
(c) He understands that the man is propositioning him.
(d) He does not understand what the man is talking about.
5. How much does Chance know about sex and childbirth?
(a) Only what he has learned from a maintenance man and seen on television.
(b) He knows everything.
(c) He understands that childbirth comes before sex.
(d) Everything that he has learned from the Old Man's magazines.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Chance tells Stiegler that he can neither read or write, what does Stiegler take this to mean?
2. After the U.N. reception, where does EE take Chance?
3. A woman sitting next to Chance at dinner praises him for what reason?
4. What favor does Mr. Rand ask of Chance when he sees him after the program?
5. Who does Sulkin think Gardiner actually is?
Short Essay Questions
1. At what point in Chapter 5 does EE's character make it clear to the reader that she has a crush on Chance?
2. What does Chance find so amazing as he awaits his turn to join the TV show?
3. In Chapter 6 we learn that Skrapinov is also trying get information on Chauncey Gardiner. Why is Skrapinov so intent on getting this information?
4. What is Skrapinov told about Gardiner's political agenda?
5. What does EE find herself thinking about more and more as she flies back to New York from Denver?
6. What assumption does the French depute, Gaufridi, make about Chance's future?
7. What does Chance say to both a man at the dinner party and to EE when they each make sexual advances towards him? Why?
8. What is the bad joke that Grunmann begins to make when speaking to the President in Chapter 6?
9. Upon entering Chance's bedroom, EE gives him more clues that she is enamored with him. What hints does she drop to Chance and what is his reaction?
10. In what way does the President incorporate Chance's words on gardening into his speech at the Financial Institute?
This section contains 1,012 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)