|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the one thing Grunmann has found out about Chance by snooping on him in New York?
(a) He has no money to his name.
(b) He is preparing to murder Mr. Rand.
(c) He is in love with EE Rand.
(d) All he does in watch TV constantly.
2. What does Chance say to Mrs. Aubrey when she tells him about all of the people who want interviews with him?
(a) He tells her he does not want to meet those people.
(b) He tells her to set all of them up for the next morning.
(c) He admits to her that he is not comfortable with them.
(d) He tells her he would rather watch television.
3. What kind of feelings does Chance evoke in EE?
(a) The feeling of freedom and self-revelation.
(b) Feelings of sadness and aloneness.
(c) Depression and hopelessness.
(d) The glories of love and selflessness.
4. Why does EE find herself falling in love with Chance?
(a) He is self-reliant, very confident and quite handsome.
(b) He is a wealthy man who can continue to support her.
(c) He speaks to her of love quite often.
(d) He is a pitiful character and she wants to take care of him.
5. What does Grunmann first suspect about Chance?
(a) That he plans to assasinate the President.
(b) That he might be an agent of a foreign power.
(c) That he is preparing a coup d'etat.
(d) That he is insane.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gets Chance interested in the book Stiegler speaks of?
2. What does the Russian Ambassador take a chance on doing during his speech to the International Congress of the Mercantile Association in Philadelphia?
3. What is Grunmann's first name?
4. During his speech to the Financial Institute, what does the President say about his meeting with Mr. Rand?
5. What does Chance's supposed code name remind Skrapinov of?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Chance feel about an opportunity to appear on TV?
2. What was one of Grunmann's concerns about what Gardiner might be up to? Why is it discounted?
3. Mr. Rand tells Chance that he admires his peacefulness. What is it about Chance that makes him appear so at ease?
4. At what point in Chapter 5 does EE's character make it clear to the reader that she has a crush on Chance?
5. In what way does the President incorporate Chance's words on gardening into his speech at the Financial Institute?
6. Why does Chance hesitate when the President asks him about The Street?
7. What does Chance say to both a man at the dinner party and to EE when they each make sexual advances towards him? Why?
8. EE expresses her love to Chance in Chapter 5. What are EE's reasons for being so attracted to Chance?
9. When the New York Times reporter, Tom Courtney, interviews Chance over the phone, what kind of answers does Chance give him?
10. What does Chance find so amazing as he awaits his turn to join the TV show?
This section contains 915 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)