|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What favor does Mr. Rand ask of Chance when he sees him after the program?
(a) He asks Chance if he was nervous during the interview.
(b) He asks Chance how he'd never heard of him before.
(c) He asks Chance to marry EE after he dies.
(d) He asks Chance to escort EE to a United Nations reception.
2. Who does Sulkin think Gardiner actually is?
(a) A German spy.
(b) A major leader of the American Communist Party preparing for a revolution.
(c) A Republican masquerading as a Democrat to get inside information.
(d) A leading member of an American elitist faction planning a coup d'etat.
3. What does the Russian Ambassador take a chance on doing during his speech to the International Congress of the Mercantile Association in Philadelphia?
(a) He makes a veiled threat to the United States President.
(b) He speaks of Chauncy Gardiner's love of Krylov's fables.
(c) He encourages Chauncy Gardiner to run for President of the United States.
(d) He speaks about Chauncy Gardiner as an enlightened statesman.
4. Why does Chance stare directly into the President's eyes when he meets him?
(a) He knows it is polite in society to look someone in the eye.
(b) He is nervous and does not know where else to look.
(c) He recalls that the President always looks straight into the eyes of the viewer on TV.
(d) He sees that the President's eyes are bloodshot.
5. When EE tries to seduce Chance in his bedroom, what is his first reaction?
(a) He realizes he is in love.
(b) He is bewildered.
(c) He is ecstatic.
(d) He is repulsed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has happened to one Soviet agent as a result of his background investigation of Mr. Gardiner?
2. What does Sulkin praise Skrapinov for having?
3. What was Chance watching on TV when the inspectors arrived?
4. When the President of the United States requests a dossier on Chance, what is he given?
5. When a man sitting across from Chance asks him what the government will do about industrial poisons, what is Chance's response?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the bad joke that Grunmann begins to make when speaking to the President in Chapter 6?
2. What does Chance find so amazing as he awaits his turn to join the TV show?
3. At what point in Chapter 5 does EE's character make it clear to the reader that she has a crush on Chance?
4. In Chapter 4, what does Benjamin Rand say to indicate that he thinks Chance is a very smart man?
5. Mr. Rand tells Chance that he admires his peacefulness. What is it about Chance that makes him appear so at ease?
6. In what way does the President incorporate Chance's words on gardening into his speech at the Financial Institute?
7. Why does Chance hesitate when the President asks him about The Street?
8. In Chapter 6 we learn that Skrapinov is also trying get information on Chauncey Gardiner. Why is Skrapinov so intent on getting this information?
9. What is Skrapinov told about Gardiner's political agenda?
10. Sulkin submits a tape of Gardiner's appearance on THIS EVENING for psychiatric, neurological and linguistic analysis. What is discovered?
This section contains 1,005 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)