|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Chance when the limousine makes a sharp sudden stop?
(a) He blacks out.
(b) He falls into EE's lap.
(c) He goes into hysterics.
(d) Nothing as he is oblivious.
2. What does Chance insist he has done all of his life?
(a) Fixed televisions.
(b) Been a gardener living in the house.
(c) Cooked all of the Old Man's meals.
(d) Read many, many books.
3. What does EE offer Chance to help ease his pain?
(a) A massage of his injured leg.
(b) A couple of aspirin.
(c) She teaches him deep breathing techniques.
(d) A drink of cognac.
4. What does Chance notice in the back seat of EE's limousine, above the bar?
(a) A sliding window to speak with the driver.
(b) A two-way radio.
(c) A photo of a garden.
(d) A small TV set.
5. What does EE discover upon talking to Chance when he wakes up?
(a) That he was a gardener in the Old Man's house.
(b) That he blames her for the accident.
(c) That he was once married but his wife died.
(d) That he has no wife or no family.
6. What is Benjamin Rand's occupation?
(a) Chairman of the Board of the First Amercian Financial Corporation.
(b) A partner in the prestigious law firm of Rand and Cooper.
(c) Chief Financial Officer of the National Reserve Bank.
(d) A speechwriter for the President of the United States.
7. Mr. Rand believes that Chance has found the perfect metaphor for a productive businessman when Chance describes:
(a) A productive garden.
(b) A good television program.
(c) His financial approach.
(d) The Old Man's law firm.
8. When Chance looks in the large hall mirror, what does he see?
(a) That he's all grown up.
(c) How ugly he's become.
(d) A young boy.
9. Where did Chance go after viewing the Old Man's dead body?
(a) Outside to catch a bus.
(b) To his room to watch TV.
(c) To the kitchen to make a sandwich.
(d) Into the garden.
10. What was the Old Man's former profession?
(a) He was a wealthy investor.
(b) He was an accountant.
(c) He owned a landscaping company.
(d) He was a lawyer.
11. What does Chance discover has happened to Louise?
(a) She has taken another job.
(b) She died.
(c) She has married the Old Man.
(d) She inherited a lot of money.
12. When was the last time Chance left the house?
(a) Two years ago.
(b) To get the mail.
(c) To go for a walk in the rain.
(d) He has never left.
13. Where was the Old Man in the bedroom?
(a) On the floor.
(b) Under the bed, feet sticking out.
(c) On his bed with only one eye open.
(d) Sitting beside a window.
14. How long has Chance known Louise, the maid?
(a) For ten years.
(b) Ever since he was a little boy.
(c) Since she arrived at the house 5 years ago.
(d) He barely remembers Louise.
15. Who is the main character in the book?
(a) The President of the United States.
(c) The Old Man.
(d) EE Rand.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Old Man did not leave something behind before he died. What was it?
2. What does Mr. Franklin initially tell Chance he needs to have to allow him to go on living in the house?
3. Where does Chance go after taking his leave of the lawyer and his assistant?
4. What do Mr. Franklin and his assistant call Chance?
5. Who is the "fat maid"?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)