|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Chance go after taking his leave of the lawyer and his assistant?
(a) To the kitchen to make a sandwich.
(b) To the garden to work.
(c) To his room to watch a TV show.
(d) He makes a telephone call to a lawyer.
2. In what way did people exist for Chance?
(a) When Chance turned his eyes on them, as on TV.
(b) When he ignored them.
(c) People did not exist for Chance.
(d) When people laughed at him.
3. How does the woman explain her nickname?
(a) It refers to the poet e.e. cummings.
(b) It is short for "evil eye".
(c) It stands for Ellen Elizabeth.
(d) It stands for Elizabeth Eve.
4. When Chance sees the Old Man lying dead in his bedroom, why was the fat maid on the telephone?
(a) She had just called Louise.
(b) She had called the Old Man's lawyer.
(c) She had just called the doctor.
(d) She was calling her mother.
5. Where was the Old Man in the bedroom?
(a) On his bed with only one eye open.
(b) Sitting beside a window.
(c) On the floor.
(d) Under the bed, feet sticking out.
6. What was the Old Man's former profession?
(a) He owned a landscaping company.
(b) He was a lawyer.
(c) He was a wealthy investor.
(d) He was an accountant.
7. What sound was the fat maid making as Chance entered the Old Man's bedroom?
(a) She was crying softly.
(b) She was on her knees, praying.
(c) She was screeching.
(d) She was laughing.
8. What does Chance realize once he has locked the gate behind him and stepped outside?
(a) He left something behind.
(b) The Old Man did not really die.
(c) How happy he is now.
(d) He can never return to the garden.
9. What does Mr. Rand ask Chance to think over?
(a) Giving a time frame for leaving his home.
(b) Helping EE with her social affairs.
(c) Getting a second medical opinion.
(d) A possible position within his company.
10. How does Chance introduce himself once he is in the limousine?
(a) Chance, as in luck.
(b) Chance the gardener.
(d) Chance from the Old Man's house.
11. What does Chance do the morning after Mr. Franklin's visit?
(a) He believes it was all a dream.
(b) He moves up to the Old Man's room.
(c) He packs a suitcase.
(d) He prepares a large breakfast.
12. When Chance changed the channel on the TV, what did he believe he could do?
(a) He might break the TV set.
(b) He could find the perfect TV show.
(c) He could change himself.
(d) He could find a gardening show.
13. What surprised Chance about all of the papers spread out on the desk?
(a) There was red ink all over them.
(b) They were in neat piles of twenty.
(c) His name was not mentioned in any of them.
(d) Some of them were ripped up.
14. When was the last time Chance left the house?
(a) To go for a walk in the rain.
(b) To get the mail.
(c) He has never left.
(d) Two years ago.
15. Who called Chance on the telephone and asked him to come up to the study?
(a) Thomas Franklin, an estate lawyer.
(b) The fat maid.
(c) Louise, the former maid.
(d) The Old Man.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the woman Chance meets right after leaving the Old Man's house offer to him?
2. What are the last two things Chance looks at before leaving?
3. When Chance saw a figure on the TV screen, what did he imagine he was looking at?
4. When Chance is asked to come up to the study, what is the name of woman he meets?
5. What is Chance's reaction when Mr. Franklin asks him what his name is?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)