|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the invitation that EE extends to Chance?
(a) She invites him to stay until the following day.
(b) She invites him to stay in their home until he is better.
(c) She invites him to a party that evening.
(d) She invites him to join her husband's corporation.
2. When was the last time Chance left the house?
(a) To go for a walk in the rain.
(b) He has never left.
(c) To get the mail.
(d) Two years ago.
3. What day is it when the novel begins?
(c) We are not told.
4. What sound was the fat maid making as Chance entered the Old Man's bedroom?
(a) She was screeching.
(b) She was on her knees, praying.
(c) She was crying softly.
(d) She was laughing.
5. In what way does Chance think that plants are like people?
(a) Both need very little care to thrive.
(b) Both can be compared to television.
(c) Both need care to be happy and healthy.
(d) Both have goals and dreams.
6. What is Chance's reaction when Mr. Franklin asks him what his name is?
(a) He is suspicious.
(b) He is very surprised.
(c) He is happy.
(d) He is uneasy.
7. What is the name of the woman from the car?
(a) Mrs. Randall Benjamin.
(b) Mrs. Eve Gardiner.
(c) Mrs. Ellen Harris.
(d) Mrs. Benjamin Rand.
8. Being outside in the world seems familiar to Chance. What does it remind him of?
(a) It is similar to what he has seen on TV.
(b) He remembers it from when he was a small child.
(c) It reminds him of the books he has read.
(d) It is just like his garden to him.
9. Why did the Old Man retire from his former profession?
(a) He broke his hip at the age of 72.
(b) He wanted to spend more time in his home.
(c) He developed a rare disease when he was 65 years old.
(d) He was hit by a car and could no longer work.
10. In what way did the Old Man threaten Chance if he didn't do as he was told?
(a) He would be banned from the garden.
(b) He would be sent to an insane asylum.
(c) He would be sent to bed without supper
(d) His television would be taken away from him.
11. Where was the Old Man in the bedroom?
(a) Under the bed, feet sticking out.
(b) On the floor.
(c) On his bed with only one eye open.
(d) Sitting beside a window.
12. Why did Chance think things would immediately change now that the Old Man was gone?
(a) A lawyer phoned him to tell him this.
(b) He read it in a book.
(c) That was the way things worked on TV shows.
(d) The maid told him so.
13. How does Chance explain his reason for not signing the paper?
(a) He tells the truth, saying he cannot read.
(b) He says his eyes are tired from crying.
(c) He says his lawyer must look at it.
(d) He tells the truth, saying he cannot sign it.
14. What did the Old Man's bedroom look like?
(a) It was small and cozy.
(b) It had photos of Chance on evey wall.
(c) It had a very high ceiling and built-in bookshelves.
(d) It had nearly no furniture or books in it.
15. What does Mr. Franklin inform Chance will happen the next day by noon?
(a) He will be moved up to live in the Old Man's bedroom.
(b) The doors to the house and gates to the garden will be locked.
(c) He will be served with a warrant for his arrest.
(d) The house willl be under construction for renovations.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chance do the morning after Mr. Franklin's visit?
2. What does EE discover upon talking to Chance when he wakes up?
3. What does the woman in the limousine understand Chance's name to be?
4. In what way does Chance think that plants differ from people?
5. Mr. Rand believes that Chance has found the perfect metaphor for a productive businessman when Chance describes:
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)