|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Chance soon after he begins walking around?
(a) A woman is running and causes Chance to fall.
(b) Someone throws something from a building that hits his head.
(c) Someone on a bicycle runs into him.
(d) He gets hit by a limousine.
2. What is Benjamin Rand's occupation?
(a) A speechwriter for the President of the United States.
(b) Chairman of the Board of the First Amercian Financial Corporation.
(c) A partner in the prestigious law firm of Rand and Cooper.
(d) Chief Financial Officer of the National Reserve Bank.
3. What does the woman Chance meets right after leaving the Old Man's house offer to him?
(a) She offers to give him a ride back to his home.
(b) She offers to bring him to the hospital.
(c) She offers him money for his injuries.
(d) She offers to bring him to her home because a doctor is there.
4. What does Chance discover has happened to Louise?
(a) She died.
(b) She has taken another job.
(c) She has married the Old Man.
(d) She inherited a lot of money.
5. In what way did people exist for Chance?
(a) When he ignored them.
(b) People did not exist for Chance.
(c) When Chance turned his eyes on them, as on TV.
(d) When people laughed at him.
6. In what way did Chance believe that the garden was its own graveyard?
(a) There were people buried under parts of the garden.
(b) Under every tree and plant there were decomposing roots.
(c) The garden was so peaceful, like a cemetery.
(d) He knew he would be buried in that garden one day.
7. What medical condition did Chance's mother have?
(a) High blood pressure.
(d) Brain damage.
8. Why couldn't Chance leave the Old Man's house or go beyond the garden gate?
(a) He had no money of his own.
(b) He had some sort of brain damage.
(c) He did not speak English.
(d) He couldn't walk very well.
9. What is Chance's reaction when Mr. Franklin asks him what his name is?
(a) He is uneasy.
(b) He is happy.
(c) He is very surprised.
(d) He is suspicious.
10. What does EE offer Chance to help ease his pain?
(a) A drink of cognac.
(b) A couple of aspirin.
(c) A massage of his injured leg.
(d) She teaches him deep breathing techniques.
11. What sound was the fat maid making as Chance entered the Old Man's bedroom?
(a) She was laughing.
(b) She was screeching.
(c) She was crying softly.
(d) She was on her knees, praying.
12. What does Chance notice in the back seat of EE's limousine, above the bar?
(a) A two-way radio.
(b) A photo of a garden.
(c) A sliding window to speak with the driver.
(d) A small TV set.
13. What TV character does Chance choose to imitate when having dinner with Mr. and Mrs. Rand?
(a) A young businessman dining with his boss and the boss's daughter.
(b) An insurance salesman trying to make a sale.
(c) A detective investigating a murder.
(d) A man having dinner with his girlfriend and her father.
14. What did Chance do upon entering the Old Man's bedroom and seeing him dead upon the bed?
(a) He went over to the maid and hugged her.
(b) He looked at the Old Man and stared into his face.
(c) He began to cry.
(d) He fainted and fell to the floor.
15. Who taught Chance how to tend the garden?
(a) A tall black man who once worked there.
(b) The Old Man.
(c) A professional gardening company.
(d) A kind next door neighbor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does EE discover upon talking to Chance when he wakes up?
2. What does Mr. Rand ask Chance to think over?
3. What does Chance do the morning after Mr. Franklin's visit?
4. In what way did the Old Man threaten Chance if he didn't do as he was told?
5. The Old Man did not leave something behind before he died. What was it?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)