|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Patricia's last words to Ruby about?
2. What did Ruby take from her mother's closet?
3. What startling sight does Ruby see out the car window as they leave the Scottish farmhouse?
4. Where does Lillian first live after leaving England?
5. What does Ruby wrap in brown paper while her parents are out of the shop?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bunty come into the shop with at the beginning of Chapter Ten?
2. Why does Bunty abandon the ironing so suddenly the night of the fire?
3. Why does Tom laugh when his hand is blown off?
4. How do Kathleen and Ruby spend the summer after finishing high school?
5. What prompts Ruby's decision to leave Gian-Carlo?
6. Describe Patricia as she is in 1964.
7. Why did the crew of D for Dog have a bad feeling about their final flight?
8. What does Ruby do for a living?
9. What does the Lennox-Roper group do at the Bottomless Loch?
10. How does George die?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the phrase "Your sister says not to worry" recur throughout the novel and what is its significance?
Essay Topic 2
Kate Atkinson has said that this novel is about cupboards. How is that so?
Essay Topic 3
At the end of the novel, as she parts from Ruby at the train station, Patricia says, "The past is what you leave behind in life, Ruby," and Ruby answers, "Nonsense, Patricia, the past's what you take with you." Which phillosophy do you think Atkinson believes? Why?
This section contains 983 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)