|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kills Rachel's baby?
2. Who was Rachel?
3. What object does Nell find after the bombing and keep?
4. What kills Ada?
5. Why did the family take a taxi to the pantomime?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Ruby in the back yard during the party?
2. What happens to Frank?
3. Describe Mrs. Carter.
4. Why is Bunty "torn" at the beginning of Chapter Three?
5. Why has Ruby moved into Gillian's room?
6. Where does Bunty find the photographic portrait of her grandmother?
7. How does the narrator feel about the night nursery in the hospital?
8. Why does it take some time for Ruby's family to realize Bunty is missing?
9. Describe the movie Jack and Nell went to when he was home on leave.
10. How does Bunty feel about working in the pet shop?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the significance of two of these family heirlooms: the silver locket, the clock, the rabbit's foot, the photographs.
Essay Topic 2
Kate Atkinson has said that this novel is about cupboards. How is that so?
Essay Topic 3
Several times throughout the novel, Ruby says, "I am a precious jewel. I am a drop of blood. I am Ruby Lennox." What is the significance of these sentences, and why are they repeated throughout the book?
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)