|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is killed during the Great Air Raid?
2. Which of these is not a name for the baby suggested by Bunty's sister, Babs?
3. What does the narrator's mother make for breakfast the morning after her conception?
4. Who surprises the Cooks with a visit?
5. Which of these people is not one of Ruby's cousins?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Lawrence?
2. How does Bunty feel about working in the pet shop?
3. What "improvements" does Rachel make to the Barker family and home after she arrives to help out?
4. Why does Ruby resolve to learn to read while at Auntie Babs'?
5. Why does Nell keep the children from leaving for the train station?
6. How is Bunty treated at Sunday School after missing the outing?
7. What causes Nell to faint in Footnote (ii)?
8. What story do they tell Bunty when they get home?
9. How is Ruby received when she returns home?
10. Why does it take some time for Ruby's family to realize Bunty is missing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In this novel, there are a lot of seeming coincidences. Choose three of these and discuss their importance to the story and why Atkinson chose to include them.
Essay Topic 2
What are the similarities among the four generations o the women of Ruby's family? How are they portrayed?
Essay Topic 3
What is the meaning of a "bottom drawer"?
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)