|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Anita and her mother communicate with Mundo?
2. What does Anita want in the event she is taken away?
3. What does Anita learn when she finishes her letter to Oscar?
4. What does Anita give Chucha?
5. What does Anita know about a pill?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Mami and Anita waiting for and how has Pupo failed the rebels?
2. What arrives for Lucinda the day after the party, and how does Lucinda feel?
3. How does Chucha help Anita and what does Chucha tell her?
4. What does Papi and the Washburns decide to do about Lucinda?
5. What does Anita decide about men and why?
6. What does Anita know about why Americans celebrate Thanksgiving?
7. What happens the night before Lucinda leaves?
8. What does Anita know about a pill and what does she think about it?
9. Who are arrested in town and why?
10. What does Anita do when she discovers she has begun her first period?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in "Before We Were Free." Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of courage in "Before We Were Free." Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of freedom in Before We Were Free. Who is free at the beginning of "Before We Were Free"? Who is free by the end of of the novel? What price was paid for freedom? What types of freedom besides physical freedom are implied?
Essay Topic 2
Oftentimes, a book's plot is principally either character driven plot or action driven, although some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs when it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not.
5. What type of plot do you think "Before We Were Free " has? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 3
There are a number of interesting questions raised by "Before We Were Free."
1. What does the term "author agenda" mean?
2. Name one idea or concept you think may have been a part of the Alvarez's agenda. Analyze that idea as it appears throughout the book and discuss Alvarez's probable agenda concerning that idea.
3. Do you think writers who have an agenda for writing should point it out in a preface?
4. How often do you think fiction is written with a clear agenda in mind by the author?
5. Research the life of Julia Alvarez to see if her life may have influenced her writing and, if so, where and how?
This section contains 1,004 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)