|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chucha do with what Anita gives her?
2. What does Anita's mother do after talking to Mr. Washburn?
3. Who comes to see Anita and Mami?
4. Where is Anita on Thanksgiving Day?
5. Why is Lucinda frightened?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Anita do when she discovers she has begun her first period?
2. What arrives for Lucinda the day after the party, and how does Lucinda feel?
3. What does Anita decide about men and why?
4. What does Anita learn about Chucha?
5. How does Chucha help Anita and what does Chucha tell her?
6. How do Anita and Mami communicate with Mundo?
7. What are Mami and Anita waiting for and how has Pupo failed the rebels?
8. What do the children do after the American school is closed and how do they get to school?
9. What does Anita know about a pill and what does she think about it?
10. Where do soldiers find El Jefe's body and who do they arrest and what do they say about Papi and Tio Toni?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which three secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable? Why or why not? If yes, which ones?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in "Before We Were Free."
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of "Before We Were Free." How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of "Before We Were Free." How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 3
Over the course of "Before We Were Free," Anita grows as a person in both complexity and understanding. Discuss the following:
1. Define Bildungsroman or "Coming of Age," and give several examples from literature you have read.
2. Trace and analyze the character of Anita as she changes from a more carefree, innocent girl to a wiser, young woman. What are the significant events that change Anita?
3. After thoroughly analyzing Anita's growth throughout "Before We Were Free," do you think "Before We Were Free" could be considered Anita's coming-of-age story? Why or why not?
4. Are there any other characters in "Before We Were Free" who go through a coming-of-age experience? If yes, who and why do you think so?
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)