|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Upon what does Anita's mother insist?
2. Why does Anita's brother make this offer?
3. Why are so many people arrested?
4. What does Anita's father tell her he wants for his children?
5. Why does Anita want to skip school the morning Lucinda is to leave?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mrs. Mancini's distrust of people turn out to be fortuitous?
2. What happens the night before Lucinda leaves?
3. Where do soldiers find El Jefe's body and who do they arrest and what do they say about Papi and Tio Toni?
4. What are Mami and Anita waiting for and how has Pupo failed the rebels?
5. What do Mami and Anita do in hiding?
6. Who does Anita see out the bathroom window and what does she think?
7. Why can't Anita stay with Lucinda until Lucinda leaves?
8. Who are arrested in town and why?
9. What does Anita write about their rescue from the compound?
10. What does Papi say he wants for his children?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Before We Were Free" belongs to the young-adult-novel genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give examples of three other genres in addition to the young-adult-novel genre.
2. Discuss two reasons that it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons that it might be disadvantageous to do so.
3. What do you think is the difference between a young-adult novel and a historical mystery novel ?
Essay Topic 2
The setting for this novel is The Dominican Republic in the 1960's. Discuss the following:
1. Research the setting of The Dominican Republic in the 1960's and write a brief description of the area, its climate, the primary means of livelihood, and its location within the world.
2. Do you think The Dominican Republic is a good choice for the setting of this novel? Why or why not?
4. How different do you think the The Dominican Republic in the 1960's is from The Dominican Republic of today? Explain some differences and similarities.
5. Examine three scenes in the novel and explain how the setting influences what happens in the action of those scenes.
Essay Topic 3
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think "Before We Were Free" is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? If not, can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
This section contains 943 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)