|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Sam when Anita inquires?
2. Who does Anita think about when her brother asks about his girlfriend?
3. What are Oscar and Sam doing?
4. What do Lucinda's family members and Susie tell Lucinda?
5. What does someone in a limousine bring?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Mami and Anita do in hiding?
2. What do Anita's diary entries for June 3, and June 5, 1961, say?
3. Where do soldiers find El Jefe's body and who do they arrest and what do they say about Papi and Tio Toni?
4. What does Anita do when she discovers she has begun her first period?
5. What does Papi and the Washburns decide to do about Lucinda?
6. What does Anita learn about Chucha?
7. How does Chucha help Anita and what does Chucha tell her?
8. What arrives for Lucinda the day after the party, and how does Lucinda feel?
9. What does Anita overhear her father and other men talking about concerning Trujillo, and what does Anita's mother say to the men?
10. What do the children do after the American school is closed and how do they get to school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Over the course of "Before We Were Free," Anita grows as a person in both complexity and understanding. Discuss the following:
1. Define Bildungsroman or "Coming of Age," and give several examples from literature you have read.
2. Trace and analyze the character of Anita as she changes from a more carefree, innocent girl to a wiser, young woman. What are the significant events that change Anita?
3. After thoroughly analyzing Anita's growth throughout "Before We Were Free," do you think "Before We Were Free" could be considered Anita's coming-of-age story? Why or why not?
4. Are there any other characters in "Before We Were Free" who go through a coming-of-age experience? If yes, who and why do you think so?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in "Before We Were Free." Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Alvarez chose the symbols she did?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Alvarez chose the metaphors she did?
3. Discuss Alvarez's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, clifthangers, deux ex machina, etc...), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Alvarez use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
Essay Topic 3
1. What is foreshadow? How many incidences of foreshadow are in "Before We Were Free?" How does foreshadow contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadow in "Before We Were Free," including why you believe it is foreshadow. Include examples from the book to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from "Before We Were Free" and your own live to support your opinion.
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)