|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Anita a month and a half after the message from Chucha arrives?
2. What does Anita's father tell her he wants for his children?
3. What does Anita's mother say on the second Sunday that they are in hiding?
4. From whom does Anita want to hide the discovery that is discusses in question 113?
5. How do Anita and her mother communicate with Mundo?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Anita learn about Chucha?
2. How does Chucha help Anita and what does Chucha tell her?
3. What arrives for Lucinda the day after the party, and how does Lucinda feel?
4. What do the children do after the American school is closed and how do they get to school?
5. What does Anita overhear her father and other men talking about concerning Trujillo, and what does Anita's mother say to the men?
6. What happens the night before Lucinda leaves?
7. What does Anita decide about men and why?
8. Who are arrested in town and why?
9. How do Anita and Mami communicate with Mundo?
10. What does the teacher tell the students in school the day Lucinda is leaving and how does Anita react?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot? Define any elements that you list. Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of "Before We Were Free," identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot or the various elements? Why or why not?
3. Identify the major sub-plots in "Before We Were Free," identifying their various elements. (The subplots may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which three secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable? Why or why not? If yes, which ones?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think "Before We Were Free" is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? If not, can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)