Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What concerns Anita's mother when she receives a call from the school?
2. Where is Anita on Thanksgiving Day?
3. Who is at the Italian Embassy when Anita and her mother arrive there?
4. What does Anita find when she gets to Lucinda's room?
5. What does Lucinda allow Anita to do that night?
Essay Topic 1
"Before We Were Free" belongs to the young-adult-novel genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give examples of three other genres in addition to the young-adult-novel genre.
2. Discuss two reasons that it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons that it might be disadvantageous to do so.
3. What do you think is the difference between a young-adult novel and a historical mystery novel ?
Essay Topic 2
Often authors will write about "what they know," and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Julia Alvarez.
2. What in Alvarez's background may have helped her in writing "Before We Were Free"? What may have influenced the way she depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his or her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in "Before We Were Free." Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of courage in "Before We Were Free." Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of freedom in Before We Were Free. Who is free at the beginning of "Before We Were Free"? Who is free by the end of of the novel? What price was paid for freedom? What types of freedom besides physical freedom are implied?
This section contains 407 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)