|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Anita on Thanksgiving Day?
2. What concerns Anita's mother when she receives a call from the school?
3. Why does Anita want to skip school the morning Lucinda is to leave?
4. Why does Anita's brother make this offer?
5. What does Anita realize about their Mami when they are waiting for Papi?
Short Essay Questions
1. What message from Chucha does Tia Mari give Anita ?
2. What are Mami and Anita waiting for and how has Pupo failed the rebels?
3. What does Papi say he wants for his children?
4. Who are arrested in town and why?
5. Why can't Anita stay with Lucinda until Lucinda leaves?
6. What do Anita's diary entries for June 3, and June 5, 1961, say?
7. What does Anita know about why Americans celebrate Thanksgiving?
8. What arrives for Lucinda the day after the party, and how does Lucinda feel?
9. What does Anita do when she discovers she has begun her first period?
10. Where do soldiers find El Jefe's body and who do they arrest and what do they say about Papi and Tio Toni?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1. What is foreshadow? How many incidences of foreshadow are in "Before We Were Free?" How does foreshadow contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadow in "Before We Were Free," including why you believe it is foreshadow. Include examples from the book to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from "Before We Were Free" and your own live to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Often authors will write about "what they know," and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Julia Alvarez.
2. What in Alvarez's background may have helped her in writing "Before We Were Free"? What may have influenced the way she depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his or her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which three secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable? Why or why not? If yes, which ones?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)