|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Lucinda frightened?
2. What happens when a car rams the Washburns car in traffic?
3. Where is Anita on Thanksgiving Day?
4. What do Lucinda's family members and Susie tell Lucinda?
5. What does Anita's mother say on the second Sunday that they are in hiding?
Short Essay Questions
1. What message from Chucha does Tia Mari give Anita ?
2. What does Anita write about their rescue from the compound?
3. What does Anita know about a pill and what does she think about it?
4. Who are arrested in town and why?
5. What does Papi and the Washburns decide to do about Lucinda?
6. Who does Mami call for help, and what does Mr. Mancini tell Anita and Mami to do?
7. What does Papi say he wants for his children?
8. Who does Anita see out the bathroom window and what does she think?
9. What arrives for Lucinda the day after the party, and how does Lucinda feel?
10. Where do soldiers find El Jefe's body and who do they arrest and what do they say about Papi and Tio Toni?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in "Before We Were Free."
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of "Before We Were Free." How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of "Before We Were Free." How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Judge whether "Before We Were Free" is a successful novel based on the characteristics of a successful novel that you identified. Fully discuss the reasons for your judgment.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if the novel is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Do you think that most adults would consider "Before We Were Free" a successful novel? What about young teens?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. How do you define loyalty? Is the ability and desire to be loyal an admirable trait in humans? Why or why not? What are the advantages and disadvantages of being loyal to a person? A cause? A country? An idea? What do you think about blind loyalty; that is, what to do think of those who are loyal to something no matter what they learn about that person, thing, ideal, country, etc.
2. Discuss and analyze why you think Mr. Washburn remains loyal to Anita's family. Is it warranted? Wise? Earned? What other instances of loyalty occur in "Before We Were Free"? Is El Jefe's son's loyalty to his father admirable?
3. What other admirable traits besides loyalty are depicted in "Before We Were Free"? Discuss fully two of those traits with specific examples.
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)