|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens the next morning after El Jefe is assassinated just as Chucha is waking Anita?
2. What is Anita beginning to have a hard time doing?
3. How does the teacher react to Anita's response?
4. What does Anita decide about men?
5. What does Anita know about a pill?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Papi and the Washburns decide to do about Lucinda?
2. What happens the night before Lucinda leaves?
3. What does Anita learn about Chucha?
4. What does Papi say he wants for his children?
5. Who does Mami call for help, and what does Mr. Mancini tell Anita and Mami to do?
6. Where do soldiers find El Jefe's body and who do they arrest and what do they say about Papi and Tio Toni?
7. What do Mami and Anita do in hiding?
8. What are Mami and Anita waiting for and how has Pupo failed the rebels?
9. What message from Chucha does Tia Mari give Anita ?
10. What do Anita's diary entries for June 3, and June 5, 1961, say?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Often authors will write about "what they know," and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Julia Alvarez.
2. What in Alvarez's background may have helped her in writing "Before We Were Free"? What may have influenced the way she depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his or her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
Essay Topic 2
Most protagonists are a mixture of admirable traits and character flaws, and Anita is no exception.
1. Trace and analyze situations in which Anita demonstrates an instinct for handling problems that might be beyond the ability of a twelve-year-old girl. Give specific examples to illustrate your analysis.
2. Trace and analyze Anita's character flaws, and explain how they create a more complex and believable character. How do you think Anita's character flaws make some situations more difficult for her?
3. After analyzing Anita's strengths and weaknesses, decide if she is the "heroine" of the story. Is there anyone else who might be considered such? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Oftentimes, a book's plot is principally either character driven plot or action driven, although some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs when it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not.
5. What type of plot do you think "Before We Were Free " has? Explain your response.
This section contains 939 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)