|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is at the Italian Embassy when Anita and her mother arrive there?
2. What does Anita overhear about the Washburns?
3. Why does Anita's brother make this offer?
4. What does Anita realize the next morning?
5. Who almost discovers Anita and her mama?
Short Essay Questions
1. What message from Chucha does Tia Mari give Anita ?
2. What do the children do after the American school is closed and how do they get to school?
3. What does Papi and the Washburns decide to do about Lucinda?
4. How does Chucha help Anita and what does Chucha tell her?
5. How do Anita and Mami communicate with Mundo?
6. What does Anita overhear her father say about the Washburns?
7. What does Anita know about why Americans celebrate Thanksgiving?
8. What does Papi say he wants for his children?
9. What do Mami and Anita do in hiding?
10. Who are arrested in town and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare and contrast the characters of Anita and Lucinda. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare and contrast the characters of Sam and Oscar. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded person?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in "Before We Were Free" help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
Essay Topic 2
Often authors will write about "what they know," and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Julia Alvarez.
2. What in Alvarez's background may have helped her in writing "Before We Were Free"? What may have influenced the way she depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his or her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which three secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable? Why or why not? If yes, which ones?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)