|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is revealed in Mr. Washburn's car when the accident occurs?
2. In what format does Anita write some of her journal entries?
3. What are Oscar and Sam doing?
4. What does Chucha do for Anita?
5. Who do the adults think has to be protected?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Mr. Washburn is driving in traffic?
2. How do Anita and Mami communicate with Mundo?
3. What arrives for Lucinda the day after the party, and how does Lucinda feel?
4. What are Mami and Anita waiting for and how has Pupo failed the rebels?
5. What message from Chucha does Tia Mari give Anita ?
6. What does the teacher tell the students in school the day Lucinda is leaving and how does Anita react?
7. Who does Mami call for help, and what does Mr. Mancini tell Anita and Mami to do?
8. What does Anita do when she discovers she has begun her first period?
9. What does Anita learn about Chucha?
10. What does Anita know about why Americans celebrate Thanksgiving?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many readers of fiction place themselves in the position of one character, wondering if they would do the same thing as that character. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think one of the values of literature is to serve as a reflection of the reader? Why or why not?
2. Socrates said "Know thyself." How can reading a book such as "Before We Were Free" help a reader know himself or herself? Do you find yourself reflecting on your own character and abilities when reading "Before We Were Free"? Why or why not.
3. Choose one specific incident in "Before We Were Free." Discuss one of the character's responses and compare it to how you think you would respond in the same situation.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which three secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable? Why or why not? If yes, which ones?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think "Before We Were Free" is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? If not, can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)