|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the grandparents call Thanksgiving?
2. What does Anita overhear about the Washburns?
3. What does Mr. Mancini tell Mami to do?
4. What does Anita hear her father and other men discussing?
5. Why do the children go to their new school in the consul's car ?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mrs. Mancini's distrust of people turn out to be fortuitous?
2. Who does Anita see out the bathroom window and what does she think?
3. How do Anita and Mami communicate with Mundo?
4. What message from Chucha does Tia Mari give Anita ?
5. What arrives for Lucinda the day after the party, and how does Lucinda feel?
6. Why can't Anita stay with Lucinda until Lucinda leaves?
7. What does Anita learn about Chucha?
8. Where do soldiers find El Jefe's body and who do they arrest and what do they say about Papi and Tio Toni?
9. What does Anita discover when she goes into Lucinda's room, and what is Anita's reaction?
10. How does Chucha help Anita and what does Chucha tell her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1. What is foreshadow? How many incidences of foreshadow are in "Before We Were Free?" How does foreshadow contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadow in "Before We Were Free," including why you believe it is foreshadow. Include examples from the book to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from "Before We Were Free" and your own live to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Oftentimes, a book's plot is principally either character driven plot or action driven, although some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs when it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not.
5. What type of plot do you think "Before We Were Free " has? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 3
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare and contrast the characters of Anita and Lucinda. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare and contrast the characters of Sam and Oscar. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded person?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in "Before We Were Free" help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)