Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What concerns Anita's mother when she receives a call from the school?
2. Where is Anita on Thanksgiving Day?
3. Who is at the Italian Embassy when Anita and her mother arrive there?
4. What does Anita find when she gets to Lucinda's room?
5. What does Lucinda allow Anita to do that night?
Essay Topic 1
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think "Before We Were Free" is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? If not, can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
Essay Topic 2
Over the course of "Before We Were Free," Anita grows as a person in both complexity and understanding. Discuss the following:
1. Define Bildungsroman or "Coming of Age," and give several examples from literature you have read.
2. Trace and analyze the character of Anita as she changes from a more carefree, innocent girl to a wiser, young woman. What are the significant events that change Anita?
3. After thoroughly analyzing Anita's growth throughout "Before We Were Free," do you think "Before We Were Free" could be considered Anita's coming-of-age story? Why or why not?
4. Are there any other characters in "Before We Were Free" who go through a coming-of-age experience? If yes, who and why do you think so?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which three secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable? Why or why not? If yes, which ones?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)