|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Anita know about a pill?
2. What has Mrs. Mancini done to her master bedroom?
3. What does Anita use to communicate with Oscar?
4. Why is Lucinda frightened?
5. In what format does Anita write some of her journal entries?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Anita discover when she goes into Lucinda's room, and what is Anita's reaction?
2. Who does Anita see out the bathroom window and what does she think?
3. What does Anita know about why Americans celebrate Thanksgiving?
4. What does Papi and the Washburns decide to do about Lucinda?
5. What do the children do after the American school is closed and how do they get to school?
6. What happens the night before Lucinda leaves?
7. What does the teacher tell the students in school the day Lucinda is leaving and how does Anita react?
8. What does Anita overhear her father and other men talking about concerning Trujillo, and what does Anita's mother say to the men?
9. Who are arrested in town and why?
10. Who does Mami call for help, and what does Mr. Mancini tell Anita and Mami to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. How do you define loyalty? Is the ability and desire to be loyal an admirable trait in humans? Why or why not? What are the advantages and disadvantages of being loyal to a person? A cause? A country? An idea? What do you think about blind loyalty; that is, what to do think of those who are loyal to something no matter what they learn about that person, thing, ideal, country, etc.
2. Discuss and analyze why you think Mr. Washburn remains loyal to Anita's family. Is it warranted? Wise? Earned? What other instances of loyalty occur in "Before We Were Free"? Is El Jefe's son's loyalty to his father admirable?
3. What other admirable traits besides loyalty are depicted in "Before We Were Free"? Discuss fully two of those traits with specific examples.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Judge whether "Before We Were Free" is a successful novel based on the characteristics of a successful novel that you identified. Fully discuss the reasons for your judgment.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if the novel is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Do you think that most adults would consider "Before We Were Free" a successful novel? What about young teens?
Essay Topic 3
Many novels, perhaps a majority of novels, end on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of "Before We Were Free "and whether or not it fulfills all three, two, or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why "Before We Were Free" is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction (no matter how poorly written) enlighten, teach, or stimulate thought? Why or why not?
This section contains 968 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)