|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Anita decide about men?
2. Where do the soldiers who come to the compound say they are taking the men they arrest?
3. What does Anita's mother say on the second Sunday that they are in hiding?
4. Why does Anita's brother make this offer?
5. How does Anita feel every time she starts to write Oscar?
Short Essay Questions
1. What message from Chucha does Tia Mari give Anita ?
2. What are Mami and Anita waiting for and how has Pupo failed the rebels?
3. What does Anita write about their rescue from the compound?
4. What does the teacher tell the students in school the day Lucinda is leaving and how does Anita react?
5. Why can't Anita stay with Lucinda until Lucinda leaves?
6. What happens when Mr. Washburn is driving in traffic?
7. What does Anita do when she discovers she has begun her first period?
8. What does Anita decide about men and why?
9. How does Mrs. Mancini's distrust of people turn out to be fortuitous?
10. What does Anita overhear her father say about the Washburns?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which three secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable? Why or why not? If yes, which ones?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Most protagonists are a mixture of admirable traits and character flaws, and Anita is no exception.
1. Trace and analyze situations in which Anita demonstrates an instinct for handling problems that might be beyond the ability of a twelve-year-old girl. Give specific examples to illustrate your analysis.
2. Trace and analyze Anita's character flaws, and explain how they create a more complex and believable character. How do you think Anita's character flaws make some situations more difficult for her?
3. After analyzing Anita's strengths and weaknesses, decide if she is the "heroine" of the story. Is there anyone else who might be considered such? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The setting for this novel is The Dominican Republic in the 1960's. Discuss the following:
1. Research the setting of The Dominican Republic in the 1960's and write a brief description of the area, its climate, the primary means of livelihood, and its location within the world.
2. Do you think The Dominican Republic is a good choice for the setting of this novel? Why or why not?
4. How different do you think the The Dominican Republic in the 1960's is from The Dominican Republic of today? Explain some differences and similarities.
5. Examine three scenes in the novel and explain how the setting influences what happens in the action of those scenes.
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)