|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when a car rams the Washburns car in traffic?
2. Where is Anita on Thanksgiving Day?
3. What is Pupo supposed to do?
4. Who is/are arrested?
5. How do Anita and her mother communicate with Mundo?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Mami and Anita waiting for and how has Pupo failed the rebels?
2. What does Anita decide about men and why?
3. What does Anita overhear her father and other men talking about concerning Trujillo, and what does Anita's mother say to the men?
4. What do Anita's diary entries for June 3, and June 5, 1961, say?
5. What does Anita know about why Americans celebrate Thanksgiving?
6. Where do soldiers find El Jefe's body and who do they arrest and what do they say about Papi and Tio Toni?
7. Who does Mami call for help, and what does Mr. Mancini tell Anita and Mami to do?
8. Why can't Anita stay with Lucinda until Lucinda leaves?
9. What arrives for Lucinda the day after the party, and how does Lucinda feel?
10. What do Mami and Anita do in hiding?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The setting for this novel is The Dominican Republic in the 1960's. Discuss the following:
1. Research the setting of The Dominican Republic in the 1960's and write a brief description of the area, its climate, the primary means of livelihood, and its location within the world.
2. Do you think The Dominican Republic is a good choice for the setting of this novel? Why or why not?
4. How different do you think the The Dominican Republic in the 1960's is from The Dominican Republic of today? Explain some differences and similarities.
5. Examine three scenes in the novel and explain how the setting influences what happens in the action of those scenes.
Essay Topic 2
"Before We Were Free" belongs to the young-adult-novel genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give examples of three other genres in addition to the young-adult-novel genre.
2. Discuss two reasons that it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons that it might be disadvantageous to do so.
3. What do you think is the difference between a young-adult novel and a historical mystery novel ?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Judge whether "Before We Were Free" is a successful novel based on the characteristics of a successful novel that you identified. Fully discuss the reasons for your judgment.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if the novel is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Do you think that most adults would consider "Before We Were Free" a successful novel? What about young teens?
This section contains 915 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)