|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Lucinda frightened?
(a) She has caught El Jefe's eye.
(b) She is ill.
(c) Anita has caught El Jefe's attention.
(d) She is about to become a legal adult.
2. What do Anita and Mami hear on the radio?
(a) Some of the prisoners have been released.
(b) There is all out civil war.
(c) Trujillo, Jr. has declared no elections this year.
(d) The prisoners are being tortured.
3. What happens when a car rams the Washburns car in traffic?
(a) Nothing other than a small dent in the bumber.
(b) The trunk pops open.
(c) Sam is injuried.
(d) Mrs. Washburn is injuried.
4. What does Chucha tell Anita it is time to do?
(b) Be good.
5. What does Lucinda allow Anita to do that night?
(a) Sleep in her room.
(b) Put on some of her jewelry.
(c) Write a letter to Carla.
(d) Stay up later than usual.
6. What does Anita hear her father and other men discussing?
(a) All of them leaving the country.
(b) Beginning the revolution now.
(c) Killing El Jefe.
(d) How to get both Lucinda and Anita out of the country.
7. What does Chucha do for Anita?
(a) Teaches Anita how to feel unafraid.
(b) Stuffs her belongings in a laundry bag.
(c) Gives her a family heirloom.
(d) Teaches Anita how to understand her dreams.
8. What is Anita beginning to have a hard time doing?
(a) Feeling any hope about the future.
(b) Remembering words.
(d) Remembering Lucinda's face.
9. For what does Anita check her uncle and father's pockets?
(a) Letters from Lucinda.
(b) The pills she knows about.
(c) Change to buy a soda.
(d) Evidence that they are part of the rebel forces.
10. What does Anita do after talking with Tio Pepe?
(a) Writes her papi.
(b) Comes up with a schedule.
(c) Starts drawing.
(d) Writes down everything she remembers about the weeks before Papi is arrested.
11. Where is Anita on Thanksgiving Day?
(c) On her way back to her country.
12. What do Lucinda and Anita do that night?
(a) Reassure each other.
(b) Cry and share memories.
(c) Eat pastries and listen to music.
(d) Talk about the future.
13. Who do the adults think has to be protected?
14. What does Anita's mother say on the second Sunday that they are in hiding?
(a) Papi has been released, but TioTony is dead.
(b) Papi and Tio Tony had escaped.
(c) Papi and Tio Tony are still alive.
(d) They are leaving the next day.
15. How does the teacher react to Anita's response?
(a) The teacher just leaves Anita alone.
(b) The teacher tells her to stand at the back of the room.
(c) The teacher sends her to the nurse.
(d) The teacher sends her to the principal.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Oscar and Sam doing?
2. What does Chucha do with what Anita gives her?
3. What concerns Anita's mother when she receives a call from the school?
4. In what format does Anita write some of her journal entries?
5. Upon what does Anita's mother insist?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)