|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Susie about to turn?
2. Besides Oscar, who helps Anita see their leader in a different light?
(a) Her Papi.
(b) Her Tio Jose.
3. When was school supposed to start back up again?
(a) January 9.
(b) January 3.
(c) January 15.
(d) February 1.
4. Who is Chucha?
(a) Anita's older sister.
(b) Carla's great-grandmother.
(c) An old woman who was the family's nursemaid.
(d) Anita's dog.
5. Where is the setting of the school?
(c) Dominican Republic.
6. What does Mami tell Anita and Lucinda to do?
(a) To keep quiet.
(b) Stay together.
(c) Flee out the back door.
(d) Get Chucha and go to the store.
7. How do the men search under the beds?
(a) By firing shots that lodge in the opposite wall.
(b) With Infrared lights.
(c) Very carefully, pulling everythng out.
(d) With their bayonets.
8. Where does Chucha sleep?
(a) On a narrow cot.
(b) Wherever there is space.
(c) On a pallet on the floor.
(d) In her coffin.
9. What is Anita inclined to say about Oscar's comments about the country?
(a) That she feels she is getting a good education.
(b) That they are free.
(c) That everyone cannot be rich.
(d) That its history is shrouded in lies.
10. What are the men in dark glasses using as an excuse to search the compound?
(a) The fact that someone has made out-of-country phone calls from their home.
(b) That someone reported smoke coming from the compound.
(c) The disappearance of Carla's family.
(d) That someone reported gun shots coming from the compound.
11. Why is Anita upset with Sammy when she isn't invited?
(a) Sammy does not understand her feelings about being excluded.
(b) Sammy asks Anita to constantly wait on him and his guest.
(c) Sammy's eyes light up for his guest and not for Anita.
(d) Sammy is often rude to Anita when he has other company..
12. What is one thing Anita learns about their country's leader?
(a) He is arrogant.
(b) He has no conscience.
(c) He is hypocritical.
(d) He is cruel.
13. What is one topic Anita and her mother discuss?
(a) What is happening with the family.
(b) Anita going to live with her cousin's family.
(c) Anita's mother's pregnancy and her upcoming new sibling.
(d) Anita going to live with her grandparents.
14. How many Volkswagons does Anita see coming up the driveway?
15. Why is school not opening on time?
(a) A hurricane damged many of the buildings.
(b) Many people are going to the United States to witness JFK's inauguartion.
(c) A fire damaged the cafeteria and auditorium.
(d) The government said they were not allowed to open.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Carla and her siblings sent to do?
2. Why do they celebrate American holidays?
3. What does Oscar talk about concerning the country?
4. What does Anita's papi explain to Anita?
5. What does the teacher tell Carla to do?
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)