|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Anita realize about Sam?
(a) He has special talents.
(b) He is brilliant.
(c) She wants him to be her boyfriend.
(d) He has a core of wildness in him.
2. Why do many people come to the compound?
(a) To spruce up the place for the party.
(b) To seek advice.
(c) To bring their stories to Anita's father who is to run for public office.
(d) For protection.
3. What does Lucinda say the men know about their cousins?
(a) That the cousins have been arrested.
(b) Where the cousins are.
(c) That they are out of this country, but not yet at their destination.
4. When does Anita use a pencil?
(a) When she writes in her journal.
(b) To draw pictures of things in her life.
(c) For her math homework.
(d) To write down Carla's address.
5. Who is Mr. Washburn?
(a) A U.S. military officer.
(b) A CIA agent.
(c) A man from the American embassy.
(d) A man from the British consulate.
6. Why does Anita spend more time in the bathroom these days?
(a) To make herself attractive.
(b) To hide her crying.
(c) To have a private place to write in her journal.
(d) To write private letters to Carla.
7. How does Anita feel when Sammy has someone visit him?
8. What does Mami tell Anita and Lucinda to do?
(a) To keep quiet.
(b) Get Chucha and go to the store.
(c) Stay together.
(d) Flee out the back door.
9. What happens when Anita asks adults about her country's leader?
(a) They explain that he is a dictator.
(b) They say that he has always won re-election because he is so popular.
(c) They brush aside her questions.
(d) They tell her she must not ask such questions.
10. What is Chucha's opinion about these men?
(a) They are the secret police.
(b) They are ruthless.
(c) They are hungry.
(d) They are officious.
11. How do the men search under the beds?
(a) With their bayonets.
(b) With Infrared lights.
(c) Very carefully, pulling everythng out.
(d) By firing shots that lodge in the opposite wall.
12. How many men in dark glasses are in the Volkswagons?
13. Where is Anita when some black Volkswagons appear?
(a) In her room dressing for the party.
(b) On her way to the neighbor's house.
(c) Cooking something for the party.
(d) At the neighbor's house.
14. What does Chucha tell the children to pretend?
(a) That they haven't seen anyone.
(b) That they can leave when they want to.
(c) That they live in the United States.
(d) That good will soon happen.
15. What does Mami tell Anita and Carla to make them feel better?
(a) Life will be better.
(b) She tells them nothing, as she does not want to give them false hope.
(c) Carla can come back to visit.
(d) They will be back together soon.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Anita write with a pencil at times?
2. For how long has Anita's country had the same leader?
3. What does Papi tell the family to pretend?
4. What was Tio Tony involved in that makes him a wanted man?
5. What makes Anita think more?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)