|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Anita's mother talk to Anita for the first time?
(a) As a dissatisfied wife.
(b) As an adult.
(c) As a frightened woman.
(d) As a disappointed mother.
2. What is decided about Susie's birthday?
(a) To have a very low-key celebration.
(b) To have a huge party.
(c) To have a celebration just for family.
(d) To have a joint celebration for Lucinda and Susie.
3. Why does Anita write with a pencil at times?
(a) So she can quickly erase.
(b) She is not good at math and frequently has to erase her work.
(c) Some times it is the only writing instrument in the house.
(d) Carla's family moves constantly, so she writes their address in pencil.
4. What does Oscar talk about concerning the country?
(a) The class structure that keeps people poor.
(b) Its noble history.
(c) The lack of a good educational system.
(d) Freeing it.
5. What does the teacher tell Carla to do?
(a) Help another girl with her lines.
(b) Pack everything she owns, not just the necessities.
(c) Write a list of all the props needed for the play.
(d) Repeat her last lines.
6. What topics do Sammy, Anita and Sammy's visitor discuss?
(a) Moving to the United States.
(b) Community and politics.
7. What is Anita inclined to say about Oscar's comments about the country?
(a) That she feels she is getting a good education.
(b) That everyone cannot be rich.
(c) That its history is shrouded in lies.
(d) That they are free.
8. What does Chucha tell the children to pretend?
(a) That they live in the United States.
(b) That they can leave when they want to.
(c) That they haven't seen anyone.
(d) That good will soon happen.
9. What does Lucinda tell Susie about her upcoming birthday?
(a) It is an important one in the Dominican Republic.
(b) They always skip celebrating that year's birthday because of superstition.
(c) It is the same day as Lucinda's birthday.
(d) They won't be able to celebrate it this year.
10. What time of year is it when the novel opens?
(c) Almost Thanksgiving.
11. When does Anita use a pencil?
(a) For her math homework.
(b) To draw pictures of things in her life.
(c) When she writes in her journal.
(d) To write down Carla's address.
12. What is the weather like?
(b) There is a hurricane.
13. Where is Anita when some black Volkswagons appear?
(a) On her way to the neighbor's house.
(b) Cooking something for the party.
(c) In her room dressing for the party.
(d) At the neighbor's house.
14. What does Anita receive for Christmas that helps her process her life?
(a) A book about the history of the Dominican Republic.
(b) A diary.
(c) A letter from her grandmother.
(d) A card from Carla.
15. What does Anita learn about their new housekeeper?
(a) She is pregnant.
(b) She is a spy.
(c) She is only 17 years old.
(d) She is from the city.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Tio Tony?
2. What aspects of her country and of the United States does Anita compare?.
3. What is the code name used for the person who likes young girls as sexual objects?
4. What does Anita help Carla do?
5. What is one thing Anita learns about their country's leader?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)