|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Anita's father take to work the day after Carla leaves?
(b) Anita's brother.
(d) No one.
2. Why does Anita spend more time in the bathroom these days?
(a) To make herself attractive.
(b) To write private letters to Carla.
(c) To have a private place to write in her journal.
(d) To hide her crying.
3. Why does Anita write with a pencil at times?
(a) So she can quickly erase.
(b) Some times it is the only writing instrument in the house.
(c) She is not good at math and frequently has to erase her work.
(d) Carla's family moves constantly, so she writes their address in pencil.
4. What does Anita's mother want her to do with her diary?
(a) Burn it.
(b) Not write in it anymore.
(c) Give it to her to safeguard.
(d) Keep it well hidden.
5. With whom does Anita talk after going to her uncle's house?
6. What is one thing Anita's mother asks Anita to do?
(a) Not hang around with Oscar anymore.
(b) Keep quiet about Anita's uncle.
(c) Pack a small suitcase to be ready at a moment's notice.
(d) Not mention anything political to Sammy anymore.
7. What happens when word is taken to Tony's house that Mr. Smith's friends are there?
(a) Everyone disperses.
(b) Tony runs and hides in the Americans' home.
(c) Nothing because Tony has already been smuggled into the United States.
(d) Tony goes down a trap door in the cellar.
8. What is the class preparing to do?
(a) Go trick-or-treating.
(b) Fly an American flag.
(c) Put on a passion play.
(d) Put on a Thanksgiving play.
9. What does Chucha often see in her dreams?
(a) The past altered to bizarre visions.
(b) The future.
(c) She never dreams.
(d) Monsters shaped like people.
10. For how long has Anita's country had the same leader?
(a) 31 years.
(b) 21 years.
(c) 12 years.
(d) 44 years.
11. What worries Anita?
(a) That her cousins will not have gotten out of the country yet.
(b) That the men will hurt her mother.
(c) That their father will be killed.
(d) That they are going to go to prison.
12. When does Anita use a pencil?
(a) When she writes in her journal.
(b) To draw pictures of things in her life.
(c) To write down Carla's address.
(d) For her math homework.
13. What does Anita receive for Christmas that helps her process her life?
(a) A letter from her grandmother.
(b) A book about the history of the Dominican Republic.
(c) A diary.
(d) A card from Carla.
14. How does Anita feel when Sammy has someone visit him?
15. What does Anita realize about Sam?
(a) She wants him to be her boyfriend.
(b) He has special talents.
(c) He is brilliant.
(d) He has a core of wildness in him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are the students unsettled about the visitors to the classroom?
2. Where is Anita when some black Volkswagons appear?
3. Who understands Anita's feelings about Sammy and his friend?
4. What does Anita's mother say Anita can do again when they are free?
5. What does the teacher tell Carla to do?
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)