|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With whom does Anita talk after going to her uncle's house?
2. What is another name for Mr. Smith?
(b) El Jefe.
(c) El Patron.
(d) The Loco.
3. What does the teacher tell Anita to do?
(a) Continue her presentation.
(b) Help Carla pack her belongings.
(c) Help Carla practice her lines.
(d) Help the new boy find the correct classroom.
4. What is one thing Anita learns about their country's leader?
(a) He is cruel.
(b) He is arrogant.
(c) He has no conscience.
(d) He is hypocritical.
5. For how long has Anita's country had the same leader?
(a) 31 years.
(b) 44 years.
(c) 21 years.
(d) 12 years.
6. Who understands Anita's feelings about Sammy and his friend?
(c) Anita's Papi.
(d) Anita's Mami.
7. Who is Mr. Washburn?
(a) A U.S. military officer.
(b) A CIA agent.
(c) A man from the American embassy.
(d) A man from the British consulate.
8. Why do they celebrate American holidays?
(a) It's a school for Americans.
(b) They do not celebrate American holidays.
(c) The students closely identify with the United States.
(d) There is one American student who it.
9. What influence does Mr. Smith have on the behavior of some of the families?
(a) They help Mr. Smith cover up evidence.
(b) They help Mr. Smith smuggle rebels.
(c) They don't let their daughters out in public because of him.
(d) They avoid Mr. Smith.
10. Why does Anita go to her uncle's house?
(a) To see if he left any clues about where he is..
(b) To check out something she wonders about.
(c) To feed his cat.
(d) To see if he has secretly returned.
11. What does Lucinda tell Susie about her upcoming birthday?
(a) It is the same day as Lucinda's birthday.
(b) They always skip celebrating that year's birthday because of superstition.
(c) They won't be able to celebrate it this year.
(d) It is an important one in the Dominican Republic.
12. What does Mami tell Anita and Carla to make them feel better?
(a) Life will be better.
(b) Carla can come back to visit.
(c) They will be back together soon.
(d) She tells them nothing, as she does not want to give them false hope.
13. Who is the other person who comes into the classroom?
(a) Carla's mother.
(b) The new boy's father.
(c) Anita's mother.
(d) The new boy's mother.
14. What do Carla and Anita find difficult?
(a) To travel so far by train.
(b) To attend different schools.
(c) To choose items for the valise.
(d) To leave each other.
15. Why do the teacher and the two visitors step into the hallway?
(a) So the students can go on with their classwork.
(b) To talk in privacy.
(c) So the teacher can show the new boy his correct classroom.
(d) The classroom is very noisy.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many Volkswagons does Anita see coming up the driveway?
2. What time of year is it when the novel opens?
3. Where is Anita when some black Volkswagons appear?
4. How do the men search under the beds?
5. What does Anita realize when she looks inside?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)