|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Chucha?
(a) Carla's great-grandmother.
(b) Anita's dog.
(c) An old woman who was the family's nursemaid.
(d) Anita's older sister.
2. What is the weather like?
(c) There is a hurricane.
3. What does Mami have Anita do after seeing the black Volkswagons?
(a) Run to Tio Tony's house.
(b) Stay in her room.
(c) Stay at the Americans' house.
(d) Hide in the attic.
4. How do the men search under the beds?
(a) With Infrared lights.
(b) By firing shots that lodge in the opposite wall.
(c) Very carefully, pulling everythng out.
(d) With their bayonets.
5. Why does Anita go to her uncle's house?
(a) To feed his cat.
(b) To check out something she wonders about.
(c) To see if he left any clues about where he is..
(d) To see if he has secretly returned.
6. What is she to tell the students about her absence?
(a) She had the flu.
(b) She sprained her ankle.
(c) She had the chickenpox.
(d) Her grandmother was ill and needed help.
7. What do Anita and Chucha look at together?
(a) The house.
(b) The well.
(c) The barn.
(d) The henhouse.
8. What happens when Anita asks adults about her country's leader?
(a) They tell her she must not ask such questions.
(b) They explain that he is a dictator.
(c) They say that he has always won re-election because he is so popular.
(d) They brush aside her questions.
9. How old is Mr. Washburn's son?
10. What does Anita's papi explain to Anita?
(a) That Anita's mother and Anita must go to the United States.
(b) That Carla's family has received permission to leave the country.
(c) That she must go with Carla to the United Sates.
(d) That Carla's family has to go into hiding.
11. How long has Anita been out of school?
(a) 4 weeks.
(b) 2 weeks.
(c) 1 week.
(d) 3 days.
12. Why do they celebrate American holidays?
(a) There is one American student who it.
(b) It's a school for Americans.
(c) The students closely identify with the United States.
(d) They do not celebrate American holidays.
13. How many Volkswagons does Anita see coming up the driveway?
14. What influence does Mr. Smith have on the behavior of some of the families?
(a) They don't let their daughters out in public because of him.
(b) They avoid Mr. Smith.
(c) They help Mr. Smith cover up evidence.
(d) They help Mr. Smith smuggle rebels.
15. What time of year is it when the novel opens?
(c) Almost Thanksgiving.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Anita ask Chucha about her cousins?
2. Why is Anita upset with Sammy when she isn't invited?
3. How many men in dark glasses are in the Volkswagons?
4. What does Papi tell the family to pretend?
5. What do Carla and Anita find difficult?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)