|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Chucha's opinion about these men?
(a) They are officious.
(b) They are the secret police.
(c) They are ruthless.
(d) They are hungry.
2. What does Anita realize about Sam?
(a) He has special talents.
(b) She wants him to be her boyfriend.
(c) He has a core of wildness in him.
(d) He is brilliant.
3. What does Mami tell Anita and Lucinda to do?
(a) Flee out the back door.
(b) Get Chucha and go to the store.
(c) To keep quiet.
(d) Stay together.
4. What are Carla and her siblings sent to do?
(a) Change their clothes.
(b) Have a medical exam.
(c) Get shots.
(d) Get their paperwork.
5. What does Oscar talk about concerning the country?
(a) The lack of a good educational system.
(b) Freeing it.
(c) The class structure that keeps people poor.
(d) Its noble history.
6. What does Anita receive for Christmas that helps her process her life?
(a) A card from Carla.
(b) A letter from her grandmother.
(c) A diary.
(d) A book about the history of the Dominican Republic.
7. What does Anita learn about their new housekeeper?
(a) She is from the city.
(b) She is a spy.
(c) She is pregnant.
(d) She is only 17 years old.
8. What aspects of her country and of the United States does Anita compare?.
9. Why does Anita go to her uncle's house?
(a) To feed his cat.
(b) To check out something she wonders about.
(c) To see if he left any clues about where he is..
(d) To see if he has secretly returned.
10. Why does Anita spend more time in the bathroom these days?
(a) To have a private place to write in her journal.
(b) To write private letters to Carla.
(c) To hide her crying.
(d) To make herself attractive.
11. What do Anita and Chucha look at together?
(a) The well.
(b) The henhouse.
(c) The house.
(d) The barn.
12. What does Chucha often see in her dreams?
(a) The past altered to bizarre visions.
(b) Monsters shaped like people.
(c) She never dreams.
(d) The future.
13. Who is Mr. Washburn?
(a) A CIA agent.
(b) A man from the British consulate.
(c) A U.S. military officer.
(d) A man from the American embassy.
14. What makes Anita think more?
(a) Asking her teachers questions.
(d) Listening to the adults.
15. Who is the other person who comes into the classroom?
(a) The new boy's father.
(b) The new boy's mother.
(c) Carla's mother.
(d) Anita's mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many Volkswagons does Anita see coming up the driveway?
2. Why do the teacher and the two visitors step into the hallway?
3. What is one thing Anita's mother asks Anita to do?
4. What is the code name used for the person who likes young girls as sexual objects?
5. What does Anita's mother say Anita can do again when they are free?
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)