|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Papi tell the family to pretend?
(a) That they have no idea where their cousins are.
(b) That the men who are watcing them are harmless.
(c) That they are not being watched.
(d) That the the family is being watched for their well being.
2. Who is Mr. Washburn?
(a) A CIA agent.
(b) A U.S. military officer.
(c) A man from the American embassy.
(d) A man from the British consulate.
3. Why does Anita's mother say she and Anita's father are staying in the Dominican Republic?
(a) To wait for Anita's mother to give birth.
(b) To try to sell the business.
(c) To fight against the things that are wrong.
(d) For Anita's father to run for public office.
4. What does Chucha often see in her dreams?
(a) Monsters shaped like people.
(b) The future.
(c) The past altered to bizarre visions.
(d) She never dreams.
5. When does Anita use a pencil?
(a) To write down Carla's address.
(b) When she writes in her journal.
(c) To draw pictures of things in her life.
(d) For her math homework.
6. Where are the children allowed off the compound?
(b) No where.
(c) Anywhere as long as they walk in pairs.
(d) School and church.
7. What doesn't feel right to some of the students?
(a) That religious symbols are being used in school.
(b) That the summer break is going to be much shorter this year.
(c) The climate, which they are not used to.
(d) That there are only girls in the school.
8. What is she to tell the students about her absence?
(a) She had the chickenpox.
(b) Her grandmother was ill and needed help.
(c) She had the flu.
(d) She sprained her ankle.
9. Why does Anita spend more time in the bathroom these days?
(a) To write private letters to Carla.
(b) To hide her crying.
(c) To have a private place to write in her journal.
(d) To make herself attractive.
10. What does Anita realize when she looks inside?
(a) Her uncle is there.
(b) Her cousin who went away with her uncle.
(c) The chickens are almost as cowed as the humans.
(d) The well is drying.
11. Who comes into the classroom?
(a) Another teacher.
(b) The principal.
(c) A new student who happens to be a boy.
(d) The nurse.
12. Where does Anita's family sleep?
(a) Out on a sleeping porch as it is very hot.
(b) Together in one room.
(c) In two bedrooms.
(d) In a guest cabin on the property.
13. What is one thing that makes Anita realize Oscar is right about their country?
(a) The way the Secret Police stand on every street corner.
(b) The way her father and mother speak in low tones all the time.
(c) The way she has to erase her diary.
(d) The way the teachers never veer from planned lessons.
14. What was Tio Tony involved in that makes him a wanted man?
(a) A gold heist.
(b) A plot to overthrow the dictator.
(c) A plot to undermine land reform.
(d) Nothing; he has been unjustly accused.
15. Who does Anita's father take to work the day after Carla leaves?
(a) Anita's brother.
(d) No one.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the teacher tell Carla to do?
2. What is the weather like?
3. Why does Anita write with a pencil at times?
4. What influence does Mr. Smith have on the behavior of some of the families?
5. How does Anita's mother talk to Anita for the first time?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)