|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is significant about Anita's family?
(a) They are the only family left who has lived in the compound.
(b) They are not from the Dominican Republic originally.
(c) They have not sought permission to enter the U.S.
(d) They are the most wealthy of the families that live in the compound.
2. Why do the teacher and the two visitors step into the hallway?
(a) So the teacher can show the new boy his correct classroom.
(b) To talk in privacy.
(c) The classroom is very noisy.
(d) So the students can go on with their classwork.
3. What does Oscar talk about concerning the country?
(a) Its noble history.
(b) Freeing it.
(c) The lack of a good educational system.
(d) The class structure that keeps people poor.
4. What is the class preparing to do?
(a) Put on a Thanksgiving play.
(b) Put on a passion play.
(c) Fly an American flag.
(d) Go trick-or-treating.
5. What color is associated with Chucha?
6. Where are Anita's grandparents?
(a) San Cristobal
(b) La Romana
(c) New York.
7. Who comes into the classroom?
(a) Another teacher.
(b) A new student who happens to be a boy.
(c) The nurse.
(d) The principal.
8. What does Anita not want her family to discover?
(a) That she often cries herself to sleep.
(b) That she has a pet chicken.
(c) Her fondness for Sam.
(d) What she writes in her journal.
9. What do Anita and Chucha look at together?
(a) The barn.
(b) The henhouse.
(c) The house.
(d) The well.
10. Where is Anita when some black Volkswagons appear?
(a) In her room dressing for the party.
(b) At the neighbor's house.
(c) Cooking something for the party.
(d) On her way to the neighbor's house.
11. What is the weather like?
(a) There is a hurricane.
12. What does the teacher tell Carla to do?
(a) Pack everything she owns, not just the necessities.
(b) Write a list of all the props needed for the play.
(c) Help another girl with her lines.
(d) Repeat her last lines.
13. What does Anita realize about Sam?
(a) He has a core of wildness in him.
(b) He has special talents.
(c) He is brilliant.
(d) She wants him to be her boyfriend.
14. For how long has Anita's country had the same leader?
(a) 31 years.
(b) 44 years.
(c) 12 years.
(d) 21 years.
15. What does Anita hear her father talk about on the phone that she finds confusing?
(b) Boarding schools.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who have gathered at Tio Tony's house on the night of the party?
2. How many men in dark glasses are in the Volkswagons?
3. What does Anita's mother say Anita can do again when they are free?
4. When does Anita use a pencil?
5. How many Volkswagons does Anita see coming up the driveway?
This section contains 483 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)