|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Anita doing when her mother comes in to talk with her?
(a) Washing the dishes.
(b) Her homework.
(d) Writing in her diary.
2. What does Anita help Carla do?
(a) Wash her dresses.
(b) Choose a jewelry box.
(c) Sew her name into her clothing.
(d) Sew a button on one of Carla's dresses.
3. What is one thing Anita learns about their country's leader?
(a) He is cruel.
(b) He is arrogant.
(c) He has no conscience.
(d) He is hypocritical.
4. What was Tio Tony involved in that makes him a wanted man?
(a) A plot to undermine land reform.
(b) Nothing; he has been unjustly accused.
(c) A plot to overthrow the dictator.
(d) A gold heist.
5. What is Anita's response to the answer Chucha gives her about her cousins?
(a) Anita thinks Chucha is getting senile.
(b) Anita does not understand the answer.
(c) Anita thinks the Chucha is being melodramatic.
(d) Anita thinks Chucha is teasing.
6. Who does Anita's father take to work the day after Carla leaves?
(a) No one.
(b) Anita's brother.
7. How old is Mr. Washburn's son?
8. How old is Susie about to turn?
9. What does Anita ask Chucha about her cousins?
(a) Where they are.
(b) If she will ever see them again.
(c) If they are safe.
(d) Why they are gone.
10. When was school supposed to start back up again?
(a) January 15.
(b) January 3.
(c) January 9.
(d) February 1.
11. What does Lucinda say the men know about their cousins?
(a) That the cousins have been arrested.
(b) That they are out of this country, but not yet at their destination.
(d) Where the cousins are.
12. Why does Anita go to her uncle's house?
(a) To see if he left any clues about where he is..
(b) To check out something she wonders about.
(c) To feed his cat.
(d) To see if he has secretly returned.
13. Why is school not opening on time?
(a) Many people are going to the United States to witness JFK's inauguartion.
(b) A fire damaged the cafeteria and auditorium.
(c) A hurricane damged many of the buildings.
(d) The government said they were not allowed to open.
14. Where does Chucha sleep?
(a) On a narrow cot.
(b) Wherever there is space.
(c) In her coffin.
(d) On a pallet on the floor.
15. Where is the setting of the school?
(a) Dominican Republic.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Papi tell the family to pretend?
2. What does Chucha tell the children to pretend?
3. How many Volkswagons does Anita see coming up the driveway?
4. Who comes into the classroom?
5. What is she to tell the students about her absence?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)