|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the teacher tell Carla to do?
(a) Pack everything she owns, not just the necessities.
(b) Help another girl with her lines.
(c) Write a list of all the props needed for the play.
(d) Repeat her last lines.
2. Who is the other person who comes into the classroom?
(a) Carla's mother.
(b) Anita's mother.
(c) The new boy's father.
(d) The new boy's mother.
3. What does Chucha often see in her dreams?
(a) The future.
(b) The past altered to bizarre visions.
(c) Monsters shaped like people.
(d) She never dreams.
4. What does Anita's mother say Anita can do again when they are free?
(a) Go visit Carla.
(b) Write openly in her diary .
(c) Talk with Sammy about anything.
(d) Go into the city.
5. Who is Chucha?
(a) Carla's great-grandmother.
(b) An old woman who was the family's nursemaid.
(c) Anita's older sister.
(d) Anita's dog.
6. How long has Anita been out of school?
(a) 3 days.
(b) 4 weeks.
(c) 2 weeks.
(d) 1 week.
7. What does Papi tell the family to pretend?
(a) That the men who are watcing them are harmless.
(b) That they are not being watched.
(c) That the the family is being watched for their well being.
(d) That they have no idea where their cousins are.
8. What does Mami tell Anita and Lucinda to do?
(a) To keep quiet.
(b) Stay together.
(c) Get Chucha and go to the store.
(d) Flee out the back door.
9. Where are Anita's grandparents?
(a) San Cristobal
(c) New York.
(d) La Romana
10. Who comes into the classroom?
(a) A new student who happens to be a boy.
(b) Another teacher.
(c) The principal.
(d) The nurse.
11. Who does Anita's father take to work the day after Carla leaves?
(a) No one.
(d) Anita's brother.
12. What are the men in dark glasses using as an excuse to search the compound?
(a) That someone reported smoke coming from the compound.
(b) The fact that someone has made out-of-country phone calls from their home.
(c) That someone reported gun shots coming from the compound.
(d) The disappearance of Carla's family.
13. What does Mami tell Anita and Carla to make them feel better?
(a) Carla can come back to visit.
(b) She tells them nothing, as she does not want to give them false hope.
(c) They will be back together soon.
(d) Life will be better.
14. What topics do Sammy, Anita and Sammy's visitor discuss?
(b) Moving to the United States.
(d) Community and politics.
15. What is Anita's response to the answer Chucha gives her about her cousins?
(a) Anita thinks Chucha is teasing.
(b) Anita thinks the Chucha is being melodramatic.
(c) Anita does not understand the answer.
(d) Anita thinks Chucha is getting senile.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lucinda say the men know about their cousins?
2. What do Carla and Anita find difficult?
3. How old is Mr. Washburn's son?
4. Why do the teacher and the two visitors step into the hallway?
5. What happens when Anita asks adults about her country's leader?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)