|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do many people come to the compound?
(a) To bring their stories to Anita's father who is to run for public office.
(b) To spruce up the place for the party.
(c) For protection.
(d) To seek advice.
2. What is one topic Anita and her mother discuss?
(a) Anita going to live with her cousin's family.
(b) Anita going to live with her grandparents.
(c) Anita's mother's pregnancy and her upcoming new sibling.
(d) What is happening with the family.
3. What influence does Mr. Smith have on the behavior of some of the families?
(a) They help Mr. Smith smuggle rebels.
(b) They help Mr. Smith cover up evidence.
(c) They avoid Mr. Smith.
(d) They don't let their daughters out in public because of him.
4. Where does Lucinda take Anita to talk to her?
(a) To the attic.
(c) To the basement.
(d) Nowhere; it's not safe to talk to someone so young.
5. What topics do Sammy, Anita and Sammy's visitor discuss?
(b) Moving to the United States.
(c) Community and politics.
6. What worries Anita?
(a) That they are going to go to prison.
(b) That her cousins will not have gotten out of the country yet.
(c) That the men will hurt her mother.
(d) That their father will be killed.
7. Why does Anita write with a pencil at times?
(a) So she can quickly erase.
(b) She is not good at math and frequently has to erase her work.
(c) Some times it is the only writing instrument in the house.
(d) Carla's family moves constantly, so she writes their address in pencil.
8. What color is associated with Chucha?
9. Why does Anita spend more time in the bathroom these days?
(a) To have a private place to write in her journal.
(b) To make herself attractive.
(c) To write private letters to Carla.
(d) To hide her crying.
10. Why does Anita's father say they have to stay?
(a) To wait for Anita's older borther to be released from prison.
(b) To see if Tio Enrique will return.
(c) To wait for Anita's older brother to get out of the military.
(d) To mind the store.
11. What is the class preparing to do?
(a) Put on a Thanksgiving play.
(b) Fly an American flag.
(c) Put on a passion play.
(d) Go trick-or-treating.
12. How does Anita feel when Sammy has someone visit him?
13. What does Anita help Carla do?
(a) Sew a button on one of Carla's dresses.
(b) Sew her name into her clothing.
(c) Wash her dresses.
(d) Choose a jewelry box.
14. What makes Anita think more?
(a) Listening to the adults.
(b) Asking her teachers questions.
15. What aspects of her country and of the United States does Anita compare?.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Papi tell the family to pretend?
2. What is Anita doing when her mother comes in to talk with her?
3. Who is Carla?
4. Where is Tio Tony?
5. How long has Anita been out of school?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)