|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one thing Anita's mother asks Anita to do?
(a) Not mention anything political to Sammy anymore.
(b) Keep quiet about Anita's uncle.
(c) Not hang around with Oscar anymore.
(d) Pack a small suitcase to be ready at a moment's notice.
2. What influence does Mr. Smith have on the behavior of some of the families?
(a) They don't let their daughters out in public because of him.
(b) They avoid Mr. Smith.
(c) They help Mr. Smith cover up evidence.
(d) They help Mr. Smith smuggle rebels.
3. What does Chucha tell the children to pretend?
(a) That good will soon happen.
(b) That they live in the United States.
(c) That they haven't seen anyone.
(d) That they can leave when they want to.
4. Where is the setting of the school?
(b) Dominican Republic.
5. What are Carla and her siblings allowed to take?
(a) One item.
(b) Three sets of clothing.
(c) A small valise each.
(d) Only what they are wearing.
6. Who comes into the classroom?
(a) Another teacher.
(b) The principal.
(c) The nurse.
(d) A new student who happens to be a boy.
7. What does Anita not want her family to discover?
(a) That she often cries herself to sleep.
(b) Her fondness for Sam.
(c) What she writes in her journal.
(d) That she has a pet chicken.
8. What does Anita hear her father talk about on the phone that she finds confusing?
(c) Boarding schools.
9. What does Mami tell Anita and Lucinda to do?
(a) Stay together.
(b) Flee out the back door.
(c) To keep quiet.
(d) Get Chucha and go to the store.
10. What does Anita learn about their new housekeeper?
(a) She is a spy.
(b) She is from the city.
(c) She is only 17 years old.
(d) She is pregnant.
11. What is Anita inclined to say about Oscar's comments about the country?
(a) That they are free.
(b) That its history is shrouded in lies.
(c) That everyone cannot be rich.
(d) That she feels she is getting a good education.
12. What is the class preparing to do?
(a) Fly an American flag.
(b) Put on a passion play.
(c) Go trick-or-treating.
(d) Put on a Thanksgiving play.
13. Who is the other person who comes into the classroom?
(a) The new boy's mother.
(b) Carla's mother.
(c) Anita's mother.
(d) The new boy's father.
14. Where does Anita's family sleep?
(a) Out on a sleeping porch as it is very hot.
(b) In two bedrooms.
(c) Together in one room.
(d) In a guest cabin on the property.
15. What happens when Anita asks adults about her country's leader?
(a) They explain that he is a dictator.
(b) They tell her she must not ask such questions.
(c) They brush aside her questions.
(d) They say that he has always won re-election because he is so popular.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are the children allowed off the compound?
2. Why are the students unsettled about the visitors to the classroom?
3. What color is associated with Chucha?
4. How does Anita feel when Sammy has someone visit him?
5. What is decided about Susie's birthday?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)