|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Anita's mother talk to Anita for the first time?
(a) As a frightened woman.
(b) As an adult.
(c) As a dissatisfied wife.
(d) As a disappointed mother.
2. What do Anita and Chucha look at together?
(a) The henhouse.
(b) The house.
(c) The well.
(d) The barn.
3. What does Anita help Carla do?
(a) Sew her name into her clothing.
(b) Sew a button on one of Carla's dresses.
(c) Wash her dresses.
(d) Choose a jewelry box.
4. Who does Anita's father take to work the day after Carla leaves?
(a) Anita's brother.
(b) No one.
5. What influence does Mr. Smith have on the behavior of some of the families?
(a) They don't let their daughters out in public because of him.
(b) They help Mr. Smith smuggle rebels.
(c) They help Mr. Smith cover up evidence.
(d) They avoid Mr. Smith.
6. Who is the other person who comes into the classroom?
(a) Anita's mother.
(b) The new boy's father.
(c) Carla's mother.
(d) The new boy's mother.
7. Who have gathered at Tio Tony's house on the night of the party?
(a) Just two of Tony's closests friends.
(b) A group of men.
(c) Most of Anita's relatives.
(d) Some of the party guests.
8. How does Anita feel when Sammy has someone visit him?
9. What is decided about Susie's birthday?
(a) To have a celebration just for family.
(b) To have a joint celebration for Lucinda and Susie.
(c) To have a very low-key celebration.
(d) To have a huge party.
10. What happens when word is taken to Tony's house that Mr. Smith's friends are there?
(a) Tony runs and hides in the Americans' home.
(b) Tony goes down a trap door in the cellar.
(c) Nothing because Tony has already been smuggled into the United States.
(d) Everyone disperses.
11. Why does Anita spend more time in the bathroom these days?
(a) To write private letters to Carla.
(b) To make herself attractive.
(c) To hide her crying.
(d) To have a private place to write in her journal.
12. What do Carla and Anita find difficult?
(a) To choose items for the valise.
(b) To leave each other.
(c) To travel so far by train.
(d) To attend different schools.
13. Why is Anita upset with Sammy when she isn't invited?
(a) Sammy does not understand her feelings about being excluded.
(b) Sammy asks Anita to constantly wait on him and his guest.
(c) Sammy's eyes light up for his guest and not for Anita.
(d) Sammy is often rude to Anita when he has other company..
14. Where does Lucinda take Anita to talk to her?
(a) To the attic.
(c) To the basement.
(d) Nowhere; it's not safe to talk to someone so young.
15. What is another name for Mr. Smith?
(a) El Patron.
(b) The Loco.
(c) El Jefe.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Anita not want her family to discover?
2. Why does Anita write with a pencil at times?
3. For how long has Anita's country had the same leader?
4. What does Anita hear her father talk about on the phone that she finds confusing?
5. What does Lucinda say the men know about their cousins?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)