|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Anita feel when Sammy has someone visit him?
2. What are the men in dark glasses using as an excuse to search the compound?
(a) The disappearance of Carla's family.
(b) That someone reported smoke coming from the compound.
(c) That someone reported gun shots coming from the compound.
(d) The fact that someone has made out-of-country phone calls from their home.
3. Who is Mr. Washburn?
(a) A man from the British consulate.
(b) A CIA agent.
(c) A man from the American embassy.
(d) A U.S. military officer.
4. What is another name for Mr. Smith?
(a) El Jefe.
(c) El Patron.
(d) The Loco.
5. What does Mami tell Anita and Carla to make them feel better?
(a) They will be back together soon.
(b) She tells them nothing, as she does not want to give them false hope.
(c) Carla can come back to visit.
(d) Life will be better.
6. Where is Tio Tony?
(a) He is in the Bronx.
(b) He is hiding in the mountains outside of Santo Domingo.
(c) He is in prison in Santo Domingo
(d) He is missing.
7. What does Lucinda say the men know about their cousins?
(a) That the cousins have been arrested.
(b) That they are out of this country, but not yet at their destination.
(c) Where the cousins are.
8. Why is school not opening on time?
(a) A hurricane damged many of the buildings.
(b) The government said they were not allowed to open.
(c) Many people are going to the United States to witness JFK's inauguartion.
(d) A fire damaged the cafeteria and auditorium.
9. What aspects of her country and of the United States does Anita compare?.
10. What does Anita's mother say Anita can do again when they are free?
(a) Talk with Sammy about anything.
(b) Write openly in her diary .
(c) Go into the city.
(d) Go visit Carla.
11. What doesn't feel right to some of the students?
(a) That the summer break is going to be much shorter this year.
(b) That religious symbols are being used in school.
(c) That there are only girls in the school.
(d) The climate, which they are not used to.
12. What time of year is it when the novel opens?
(d) Almost Thanksgiving.
13. What is one thing Anita's mother asks Anita to do?
(a) Not hang around with Oscar anymore.
(b) Not mention anything political to Sammy anymore.
(c) Keep quiet about Anita's uncle.
(d) Pack a small suitcase to be ready at a moment's notice.
14. Who have gathered at Tio Tony's house on the night of the party?
(a) Some of the party guests.
(b) Most of Anita's relatives.
(c) A group of men.
(d) Just two of Tony's closests friends.
15. What does Papi tell the family to pretend?
(a) That the men who are watcing them are harmless.
(b) That the the family is being watched for their well being.
(c) That they are not being watched.
(d) That they have no idea where their cousins are.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Anita receive for Christmas that helps her process her life?
2. What does Anita learn about their new housekeeper?
3. What does the teacher tell Carla to do?
4. What do Anita and Chucha look at together?
5. How many Volkswagons does Anita see coming up the driveway?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)