|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Anita use a pencil?
(a) To write down Carla's address.
(b) To draw pictures of things in her life.
(c) For her math homework.
(d) When she writes in her journal.
2. What does Anita realize about Sam?
(a) He is brilliant.
(b) She wants him to be her boyfriend.
(c) He has a core of wildness in him.
(d) He has special talents.
3. Where does Chucha sleep?
(a) On a narrow cot.
(b) In her coffin.
(c) On a pallet on the floor.
(d) Wherever there is space.
4. What does Anita not want her family to discover?
(a) That she often cries herself to sleep.
(b) That she has a pet chicken.
(c) What she writes in her journal.
(d) Her fondness for Sam.
5. What does Mami tell Anita and Carla to make them feel better?
(a) They will be back together soon.
(b) Life will be better.
(c) Carla can come back to visit.
(d) She tells them nothing, as she does not want to give them false hope.
6. Where does Anita's family sleep?
(a) Together in one room.
(b) Out on a sleeping porch as it is very hot.
(c) In a guest cabin on the property.
(d) In two bedrooms.
7. What happens when Anita asks adults about her country's leader?
(a) They say that he has always won re-election because he is so popular.
(b) They tell her she must not ask such questions.
(c) They explain that he is a dictator.
(d) They brush aside her questions.
8. How many men in dark glasses are in the Volkswagons?
9. Why is school not opening on time?
(a) A hurricane damged many of the buildings.
(b) A fire damaged the cafeteria and auditorium.
(c) Many people are going to the United States to witness JFK's inauguartion.
(d) The government said they were not allowed to open.
10. Where is the setting of the school?
(a) Dominican Republic.
11. What color is associated with Chucha?
12. What was Tio Tony involved in that makes him a wanted man?
(a) A gold heist.
(b) A plot to undermine land reform.
(c) A plot to overthrow the dictator.
(d) Nothing; he has been unjustly accused.
13. Why is Anita upset with Sammy when she isn't invited?
(a) Sammy asks Anita to constantly wait on him and his guest.
(b) Sammy is often rude to Anita when he has other company..
(c) Sammy does not understand her feelings about being excluded.
(d) Sammy's eyes light up for his guest and not for Anita.
14. What does Anita help Carla do?
(a) Sew her name into her clothing.
(b) Wash her dresses.
(c) Sew a button on one of Carla's dresses.
(d) Choose a jewelry box.
15. How long has Anita been out of school?
(a) 4 weeks.
(b) 1 week.
(c) 3 days.
(d) 2 weeks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Chucha's opinion about these men?
2. What influence does Mr. Smith have on the behavior of some of the families?
3. What does Anita learn about their new housekeeper?
4. What are Carla and her siblings allowed to take?
5. What is Anita inclined to say about Oscar's comments about the country?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)