|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one thing that makes Anita realize Oscar is right about their country?
(a) The way her father and mother speak in low tones all the time.
(b) The way the Secret Police stand on every street corner.
(c) The way she has to erase her diary.
(d) The way the teachers never veer from planned lessons.
2. Who comes over to spend time with Sammy?
(c) Sammy's second cousin.
(d) No one.
3. What doesn't feel right to some of the students?
(a) That there are only girls in the school.
(b) That the summer break is going to be much shorter this year.
(c) The climate, which they are not used to.
(d) That religious symbols are being used in school.
4. Who is Carla?
(a) Anita's younger sister.
(b) Anita's older sister.
(c) A new girl who just started school the day before.
(d) Anita's cousin.
5. What do the men in the Volkwagons want?
(a) To stay for a few days.
(b) To arrest Anita's mother.
(c) To buy stuff in the store.
(d) To search the property.
6. Why does Anita's father say they have to stay?
(a) To mind the store.
(b) To wait for Anita's older borther to be released from prison.
(c) To wait for Anita's older brother to get out of the military.
(d) To see if Tio Enrique will return.
7. What do Carla and Anita find difficult?
(a) To attend different schools.
(b) To leave each other.
(c) To travel so far by train.
(d) To choose items for the valise.
8. What does Oscar talk about concerning the country?
(a) Freeing it.
(b) The lack of a good educational system.
(c) The class structure that keeps people poor.
(d) Its noble history.
9. Why are the students unsettled about the visitors to the classroom?
(a) The last time it happened, one student left and never came back.
(b) It is interrupting their practice time.
(c) It is almost time for recess, but they can't leave until the teacher dismisses them.
(d) They think something is wrong with Anita's mother.
10. Where is Tio Tony?
(a) He is missing.
(b) He is in the Bronx.
(c) He is hiding in the mountains outside of Santo Domingo.
(d) He is in prison in Santo Domingo
11. How old is Mr. Washburn's son?
12. Where are Anita's grandparents?
(a) La Romana
(b) New York.
(d) San Cristobal
13. What does Chucha often see in her dreams?
(a) The future.
(b) She never dreams.
(c) The past altered to bizarre visions.
(d) Monsters shaped like people.
14. Who comes into the classroom?
(a) A new student who happens to be a boy.
(b) The nurse.
(c) The principal.
(d) Another teacher.
15. Who does Anita's father take to work the day after Carla leaves?
(b) Anita's brother.
(d) No one.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the men in dark glasses using as an excuse to search the compound?
2. What is Chucha's opinion about these men?
3. Who is Chucha?
4. What does the teacher tell Carla to do?
5. What is another name for Mr. Smith?
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)