|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Chucha tell the children to pretend?
(a) That they live in the United States.
(b) That good will soon happen.
(c) That they can leave when they want to.
(d) That they haven't seen anyone.
2. Why does Anita's mother say she and Anita's father are staying in the Dominican Republic?
(a) To wait for Anita's mother to give birth.
(b) To try to sell the business.
(c) For Anita's father to run for public office.
(d) To fight against the things that are wrong.
3. What is one thing that makes Anita realize Oscar is right about their country?
(a) The way the teachers never veer from planned lessons.
(b) The way the Secret Police stand on every street corner.
(c) The way her father and mother speak in low tones all the time.
(d) The way she has to erase her diary.
4. What is another name for Mr. Smith?
(a) El Jefe.
(b) The Loco.
(d) El Patron.
5. Why does Anita write with a pencil at times?
(a) So she can quickly erase.
(b) Some times it is the only writing instrument in the house.
(c) Carla's family moves constantly, so she writes their address in pencil.
(d) She is not good at math and frequently has to erase her work.
6. What does Anita not want her family to discover?
(a) What she writes in her journal.
(b) Her fondness for Sam.
(c) That she has a pet chicken.
(d) That she often cries herself to sleep.
7. What does Anita hear her father talk about on the phone that she finds confusing?
(d) Boarding schools.
8. Why is school not opening on time?
(a) Many people are going to the United States to witness JFK's inauguartion.
(b) The government said they were not allowed to open.
(c) A hurricane damged many of the buildings.
(d) A fire damaged the cafeteria and auditorium.
9. What doesn't feel right to some of the students?
(a) That the summer break is going to be much shorter this year.
(b) The climate, which they are not used to.
(c) That religious symbols are being used in school.
(d) That there are only girls in the school.
10. What are Carla and her siblings allowed to take?
(a) A small valise each.
(b) Only what they are wearing.
(c) One item.
(d) Three sets of clothing.
11. Why does Anita's father say they have to stay?
(a) To see if Tio Enrique will return.
(b) To wait for Anita's older brother to get out of the military.
(c) To wait for Anita's older borther to be released from prison.
(d) To mind the store.
12. When was school supposed to start back up again?
(a) February 1.
(b) January 9.
(c) January 15.
(d) January 3.
13. Who understands Anita's feelings about Sammy and his friend?
(c) Anita's Papi.
(d) Anita's Mami.
14. What is decided about Susie's birthday?
(a) To have a joint celebration for Lucinda and Susie.
(b) To have a celebration just for family.
(c) To have a very low-key celebration.
(d) To have a huge party.
15. With whom does Anita talk after going to her uncle's house?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Chucha's opinion about these men?
2. What does Mami tell Anita and Carla to make them feel better?
3. Who is Mr. Washburn?
4. What are the men in dark glasses using as an excuse to search the compound?
5. What does the teacher tell Carla to do?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)