|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Anita when some black Volkswagons appear?
(a) Cooking something for the party.
(b) On her way to the neighbor's house.
(c) In her room dressing for the party.
(d) At the neighbor's house.
2. Who comes into the classroom?
(a) Another teacher.
(b) A new student who happens to be a boy.
(c) The principal.
(d) The nurse.
3. What do Carla and Anita find difficult?
(a) To travel so far by train.
(b) To attend different schools.
(c) To leave each other.
(d) To choose items for the valise.
4. Who understands Anita's feelings about Sammy and his friend?
(b) Anita's Papi.
(d) Anita's Mami.
5. How old is Susie about to turn?
6. How does Anita feel when Sammy has someone visit him?
7. Why does Anita's father say they have to stay?
(a) To see if Tio Enrique will return.
(b) To mind the store.
(c) To wait for Anita's older borther to be released from prison.
(d) To wait for Anita's older brother to get out of the military.
8. Who does Anita's father take to work the day after Carla leaves?
(b) Anita's brother.
(d) No one.
9. What is Anita inclined to say about Oscar's comments about the country?
(a) That everyone cannot be rich.
(b) That they are free.
(c) That its history is shrouded in lies.
(d) That she feels she is getting a good education.
10. How does Anita's mother talk to Anita for the first time?
(a) As a disappointed mother.
(b) As a frightened woman.
(c) As an adult.
(d) As a dissatisfied wife.
11. What does Anita hear her father talk about on the phone that she finds confusing?
(b) Boarding schools.
12. What is Chucha's opinion about these men?
(a) They are ruthless.
(b) They are hungry.
(c) They are officious.
(d) They are the secret police.
13. Why is Anita upset with Sammy when she isn't invited?
(a) Sammy is often rude to Anita when he has other company..
(b) Sammy's eyes light up for his guest and not for Anita.
(c) Sammy asks Anita to constantly wait on him and his guest.
(d) Sammy does not understand her feelings about being excluded.
14. Why do they celebrate American holidays?
(a) There is one American student who it.
(b) They do not celebrate American holidays.
(c) The students closely identify with the United States.
(d) It's a school for Americans.
15. What are Carla and her siblings allowed to take?
(a) One item.
(b) A small valise each.
(c) Only what they are wearing.
(d) Three sets of clothing.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lucinda tell Susie about her upcoming birthday?
2. For how long has Anita's country had the same leader?
3. What does the teacher tell Anita to do?
4. Besides Oscar, who helps Anita see their leader in a different light?
5. Who is the other person who comes into the classroom?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)