|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Anita inclined to say about Oscar's comments about the country?
(a) That everyone cannot be rich.
(b) That they are free.
(c) That she feels she is getting a good education.
(d) That its history is shrouded in lies.
2. How does Anita's mother talk to Anita for the first time?
(a) As a disappointed mother.
(b) As a dissatisfied wife.
(c) As a frightened woman.
(d) As an adult.
3. Where does Lucinda take Anita to talk to her?
(a) To the attic.
(b) Nowhere; it's not safe to talk to someone so young.
(c) To the basement.
4. Who does Anita's father take to work the day after Carla leaves?
(b) No one.
(c) Anita's brother.
5. What are the men in dark glasses using as an excuse to search the compound?
(a) That someone reported smoke coming from the compound.
(b) That someone reported gun shots coming from the compound.
(c) The disappearance of Carla's family.
(d) The fact that someone has made out-of-country phone calls from their home.
6. What is she to tell the students about her absence?
(a) She had the flu.
(b) Her grandmother was ill and needed help.
(c) She sprained her ankle.
(d) She had the chickenpox.
7. With whom does Anita talk after going to her uncle's house?
8. What is decided about Susie's birthday?
(a) To have a joint celebration for Lucinda and Susie.
(b) To have a very low-key celebration.
(c) To have a celebration just for family.
(d) To have a huge party.
9. Where is Anita when some black Volkswagons appear?
(a) At the neighbor's house.
(b) On her way to the neighbor's house.
(c) In her room dressing for the party.
(d) Cooking something for the party.
10. Why do they celebrate American holidays?
(a) The students closely identify with the United States.
(b) It's a school for Americans.
(c) They do not celebrate American holidays.
(d) There is one American student who it.
11. What is Anita doing when her mother comes in to talk with her?
(a) Writing in her diary.
(c) Washing the dishes.
(d) Her homework.
12. What are Carla and her siblings sent to do?
(a) Get shots.
(b) Get their paperwork.
(c) Change their clothes.
(d) Have a medical exam.
13. Why does Anita spend more time in the bathroom these days?
(a) To write private letters to Carla.
(b) To hide her crying.
(c) To make herself attractive.
(d) To have a private place to write in her journal.
14. What do Anita and Chucha look at together?
(a) The well.
(b) The henhouse.
(c) The barn.
(d) The house.
15. Why do the teacher and the two visitors step into the hallway?
(a) So the students can go on with their classwork.
(b) So the teacher can show the new boy his correct classroom.
(c) To talk in privacy.
(d) The classroom is very noisy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Anita's mother say she and Anita's father are staying in the Dominican Republic?
2. What is the code name used for the person who likes young girls as sexual objects?
3. Why is Anita upset with Sammy when she isn't invited?
4. Where is Tio Tony?
5. What does Papi tell the family to pretend?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)