|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the setting of the school?
(a) Dominican Republic.
2. What are the men in dark glasses using as an excuse to search the compound?
(a) That someone reported smoke coming from the compound.
(b) The disappearance of Carla's family.
(c) That someone reported gun shots coming from the compound.
(d) The fact that someone has made out-of-country phone calls from their home.
3. Who is the other person who comes into the classroom?
(a) Carla's mother.
(b) The new boy's mother.
(c) Anita's mother.
(d) The new boy's father.
4. What does Mami tell Anita and Carla to make them feel better?
(a) She tells them nothing, as she does not want to give them false hope.
(b) Life will be better.
(c) They will be back together soon.
(d) Carla can come back to visit.
5. What is decided about Susie's birthday?
(a) To have a joint celebration for Lucinda and Susie.
(b) To have a celebration just for family.
(c) To have a very low-key celebration.
(d) To have a huge party.
6. How do the children respond to their life?
(a) They accept the neccessity of it.
(b) They cry.
(c) They are bored.
(d) They rebel and sometimes sneak out.
7. Who comes over to spend time with Sammy?
(b) Sammy's second cousin.
(d) No one.
8. What is the code name used for the person who likes young girls as sexual objects?
(a) The dictator.
(b) Mr. Jones.
(c) The dictator's son.
(d) Mr. Smith.
9. What does Mami have Anita do after seeing the black Volkswagons?
(a) Run to Tio Tony's house.
(b) Stay in her room.
(c) Stay at the Americans' house.
(d) Hide in the attic.
10. What does Anita hear her father talk about on the phone that she finds confusing?
(c) Boarding schools.
11. Why is Anita upset with Sammy when she isn't invited?
(a) Sammy asks Anita to constantly wait on him and his guest.
(b) Sammy is often rude to Anita when he has other company..
(c) Sammy's eyes light up for his guest and not for Anita.
(d) Sammy does not understand her feelings about being excluded.
12. Who is Chucha?
(a) An old woman who was the family's nursemaid.
(b) Anita's older sister.
(c) Anita's dog.
(d) Carla's great-grandmother.
13. For how long has Anita's country had the same leader?
(a) 21 years.
(b) 31 years.
(c) 44 years.
(d) 12 years.
14. What does Anita realize about Sam?
(a) He has special talents.
(b) She wants him to be her boyfriend.
(c) He is brilliant.
(d) He has a core of wildness in him.
15. What are Carla and her siblings allowed to take?
(a) One item.
(b) A small valise each.
(c) Three sets of clothing.
(d) Only what they are wearing.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Anita think more?
2. What does Chucha tell the children to pretend?
3. Why do the teacher and the two visitors step into the hallway?
4. What does Anita help Carla do?
5. When was school supposed to start back up again?
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)