|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many men in dark glasses are in the Volkswagons?
2. What does Anita learn about their new housekeeper?
(a) She is pregnant.
(b) She is from the city.
(c) She is only 17 years old.
(d) She is a spy.
3. What is Anita inclined to say about Oscar's comments about the country?
(a) That everyone cannot be rich.
(b) That its history is shrouded in lies.
(c) That they are free.
(d) That she feels she is getting a good education.
4. What does the teacher tell Anita to do?
(a) Help Carla practice her lines.
(b) Help Carla pack her belongings.
(c) Continue her presentation.
(d) Help the new boy find the correct classroom.
5. What is significant about Anita's family?
(a) They have not sought permission to enter the U.S.
(b) They are not from the Dominican Republic originally.
(c) They are the only family left who has lived in the compound.
(d) They are the most wealthy of the families that live in the compound.
6. Where does Anita's family sleep?
(a) Out on a sleeping porch as it is very hot.
(b) Together in one room.
(c) In two bedrooms.
(d) In a guest cabin on the property.
7. What does Anita's mother want her to do with her diary?
(a) Give it to her to safeguard.
(b) Burn it.
(c) Not write in it anymore.
(d) Keep it well hidden.
8. Why does Anita's mother say she and Anita's father are staying in the Dominican Republic?
(a) To fight against the things that are wrong.
(b) To wait for Anita's mother to give birth.
(c) For Anita's father to run for public office.
(d) To try to sell the business.
9. What does Oscar talk about concerning the country?
(a) Freeing it.
(b) The class structure that keeps people poor.
(c) The lack of a good educational system.
(d) Its noble history.
10. Why does Anita go to her uncle's house?
(a) To feed his cat.
(b) To see if he has secretly returned.
(c) To check out something she wonders about.
(d) To see if he left any clues about where he is..
11. How do the children respond to their life?
(a) They accept the neccessity of it.
(b) They are bored.
(c) They cry.
(d) They rebel and sometimes sneak out.
12. What does Mami tell Anita and Carla to make them feel better?
(a) They will be back together soon.
(b) Life will be better.
(c) She tells them nothing, as she does not want to give them false hope.
(d) Carla can come back to visit.
13. What do Carla and Anita find difficult?
(a) To leave each other.
(b) To travel so far by train.
(c) To choose items for the valise.
(d) To attend different schools.
14. What is the code name used for the person who likes young girls as sexual objects?
(a) Mr. Smith.
(b) Mr. Jones.
(c) The dictator.
(d) The dictator's son.
15. What worries Anita?
(a) That they are going to go to prison.
(b) That their father will be killed.
(c) That the men will hurt her mother.
(d) That her cousins will not have gotten out of the country yet.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the weather like?
2. Who does Anita's father take to work the day after Carla leaves?
3. When does Anita use a pencil?
4. How does Anita feel when Sammy has someone visit him?
5. Why do the teacher and the two visitors step into the hallway?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)